Finish this sentence..

Petals & Pixie Dust

DIS Veteran
Every day DS tells me that he needs to go back to Castaway Cay. I find him sad at school upon pick up. It's heart breaking. DH and I are diligently working on another trip, where we have invited MIL to join us. (No worries. It's all good) I am looking at pictures, attempting to convince myself that Disney Depression really isn't a thing...ok who am I kidding??? So, please finish the following sentence.

The best way to combat Disney Depression is to....

(We already have another trip planned-so that does not count! LOL)

Ok, I'm gonna get all serious here...

You say you find him sad when you pick him up from school so... It sounds like a serious matter and I suggest to maybe get a therapist involved.

At some point my own therapist made me realized that I was feeling the Post-vacation depression hard because something wasn't quite right at home (in my case, it was boredom, home and routine just wasn't exciting at all)...

So we made some changes --DH and I now have a special date/activity + a board games night-every week -- and now it's much better.

Because unfortunately, we can't always be on vacation. Not to mention that income can fluctuate and some years can be harder than others and living on credit is a bad idea. Finding something that you are very passionate about at home is healthy and helps you being happy always.

Ok, I'm gonna get all serious here...

You say you find him sad when you pick him up from school so... It sounds like a serious matter and I suggest to maybe get a therapist involved.

At some point my own therapist made me realized that I was feeling the Post-vacation depression hard because something wasn't quite right at home (in my case, it was boredom, home and routine just wasn't exciting at all)...

So we made some changes --DH and I now have a special date/activity + a board games night-every week -- and now it's much better.

Because unfortunately, we can't always be on vacation. Not to mention that income can fluctuate and some years can be harder than others and living on credit is a bad idea. Finding something that you are very passionate about at home is healthy and helps you being happy always.

Agreed. I missed that part in a quick glance.

If all he's saying is he needs to go back there, to me that is an indication that there may be a problem at school with bullying or something. I would definitely look into what is going on there.

Thirded on looking deeper into other things that might not be right -- as the others said, it might be something as nasty as bullying, or as simple as boredom with daily routine. I myself do the "plan your next adventure!" thing as a way to get myself over the initial hump, but it's more important on the whole to come back and get reinvested in real life instead of only living for the next trip.

If it's possible to get him in to see a therapist, maybe through his school (?), there's no shame in doing that. An professional seeing things from the outside might have some insight that's difficult to come by when you're looking at any potential problems from within. You could also start probing deeper into it yourself -- when he comes home from school sad and tells you he has to get back to Castaway Cay, ask follow-up questions and try to find out why he's fixating on that in particular. It could be because he had a lot of fun there and isn't having fun in his normal life, or because he had a lot of freedom there and feels his life is too structured...or, if bullying is the issue, it could be because he wasn't around any bullies. Or it could be something else entirely. Go into the conversation with an open mind.

I would definitely try to figure out of it is more, or if there is anything more immediate he could be engaged with.

In addition to talking with a therapist, try planning some family activities. One of the things he may be missing is how much time a family spends together on a vacation, in contrast to everyone being back in their busy normal life routines. Try things like everyone going out for ice cream, playing board games and card games together, picnic in a park, bowling, a movie... anything where the entire family is doing something together. Good luck. (I agree, post-Disney depression is real.)

I feel the same way... LOL Not to make light of this in any way. Do dig a bit deeper and see if there is anything else going on. Perhaps after school activities, community activities, sports-something else to engage his interest will make this easier for him. Unfortunately we can't live on Castaway or be on vacation every day even as adults. I wish we could...

While I agree with the “dig deeper” view I also find myself wishing I could be back at Castaway Cay. It’s my happy place. The sun, the water, always soothes my soul. I can’t think of anywhere else I would rather be than Serenity Bay...well maybe the Caribbean Club on Grand Cayman is a close second

Every day DS tells me that he needs to go back to Castaway Cay. I find him sad at school upon pick up. It's heart breaking. DH and I are diligently working on another trip, where we have invited MIL to join us. (No worries. It's all good) I am looking at pictures, attempting to convince myself that Disney Depression really isn't a thing...ok who am I kidding??? So, please finish the following sentence.

(We already have another trip planned-so that does not count! LOL)
take a medication to treat anxiety disorder such as Xanax.

I'm going to assume you're doing all the above and just want some quick fun fixes in the meantime, so I'll answer the question that was asked. Some might be for the OP, others might be for her DS or both...

• Watch a Disney movie
  • Look at the photos you took
  • Work on a scrapbook of the photos you took
  • Write a story that takes place on Castaway Cay or on the ship, maybe Captain Hook takes over the Fantasy on Castaway Cay... what does he do?
  • Try making a particular meal that you loved on the ship
  • Plan your costumes for your next cruise
  • Make new magnets for your next trip
  • Read the "Hidden Mickey's at sea" book and plan your search
  • Text/email any pals from the clubs on the ship
  • Play Kingdom Hearts
  • Learn to draw a Disney character... keep practicing
  • Watch Youtube videos of sailing
  • Start a "spending money" piggy bank for next trip and work towards it.

I'll add to FigmentSpark's list (while agreeing with all the other PPs that you should delve deeper) - if you have one nearby, visit a Disney store! Check with yours to see when they offer free animation activities, etc. I was in one a couple of weeks ago that had Frozen character drawing activities going on. They also do the whole "open the store" thing if you get there before they open. It seems silly, but it's the closest thing to being in the "Disney environment" that most of us have access to!

´
In addition to talking with a therapist, try planning some family activities. One of the things he may be missing is how much time a family spends together on a vacation, in contrast to everyone being back in their busy normal life routines. Try things like everyone going out for ice cream, playing board games and card games together, picnic in a park, bowling, a movie... anything where the entire family is doing something together. Good luck. (I agree, post-Disney depression is real.)

Love your ideas. I would also add, maybe try to find the recipes from his favorite food on the cruise and maybe make a "DCL dinner" at home.

While I agree with the “dig deeper” view I also find myself wishing I could be back at Castaway Cay. It’s my happy place. The sun, the water, always soothes my soul. I can’t think of anywhere else I would rather be than Serenity Bay...well maybe the Caribbean Club on Grand Cayman is a close second

Or Royal Palms Grand Cayman OMG. *Heaven*

I'm going to assume you're doing all the above and just want some quick fun fixes in the meantime, so I'll answer the question that was asked. Some might be for the OP, others might be for her DS or both...

• Watch a Disney movie
  • Look at the photos you took
  • Work on a scrapbook of the photos you took
  • Write a story that takes place on Castaway Cay or on the ship, maybe Captain Hook takes over the Fantasy on Castaway Cay... what does he do?
  • Try making a particular meal that you loved on the ship
  • Plan your costumes for your next cruise
  • Make new magnets for your next trip
  • Read the "Hidden Mickey's at sea" book and plan your search
  • Text/email any pals from the clubs on the ship
  • Play Kingdom Hearts
  • Learn to draw a Disney character... keep practicing
  • Watch Youtube videos of sailing
  • Start a "spending money" piggy bank for next trip and work towards it.

Thank you. This was extremely helpful!

´

Love your ideas. I would also add, maybe try to find the recipes from his favorite food on the cruise and maybe make a "DCL dinner" at home.

We eat plenty of mac & cheese-which he ate every night. If you know where I can get the DCL specific brand, I'm on it!

Others have said the best advice look into if there are other underlying issues. No surprised he wishes to be at Castaway. I wish I was at WDW now instead if working again Monday. But life is not a vacation.

But without sounding harsh your son needs to realize this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter