Fan Club Card

I have a Fan Club Card that I got out of a Sunday newspaper coupon flyer in the 1970's or 1980's. They used to give them away, I guess when they first came out with them. There is nothing on my card - no way to identify how old it is or where it came from. It used to be more of a promotion for Spencer's discounts than US. I have used my card several times at USO over the years. Now, things may have changed a bit because they are issuing codes instead of cards. But it used to be that the employees didn't ask any questions. As a matter of fact, in the past, the employees have been very generous with the discount in the shops....giving me discounts of items that they weren't sure qualified but they gave me the discount anyway. I would not get rid of an old card, even if they do stay with Club codes. Gosh, you could have had your card 4ever....

I called 1-800-BeAStar and booked a package. When I booked, I told the person that I had an Entertainment Card and a Fan Club Card. They said there were no Entertainment discounts for our dates, so I reminded her I had a Fan Club Card. Long story short--I got my confirmation today and the Fan Club discount was not applied. I called again and told. At first they said because I was told the price and approved having it put on my credit card that there was nothing they could do. I re-emphasized that I told the person I had the Fan Club card. The nice young man I was speaking to (Darren) called a supervisor and was back and forth with him many times. I gave him the number on my Fan Club card. To insure I really have a card (they said anyone could just give me their card number), I have to fax a photocopy of it to them. Then they will apply a credit. It really seems as though there has been a lot of abuse of the Fan Club benefits.

My card came from Ebay. It has a bar code on the back, but no expiration date. Does the bar code indicate the name of the work place?

Originally posted by mtblujeans
Abuse in what manner?
Well, since they said to me, "Face it, anyone could have given you their number from their card.", I guess people are doing things like that. Of course all they have to do is ask to see the card when you check in. I can't believe they're making me fax it to them before they'll apply my discount!!

I have a Fan Club card that I got from my workplace (a university) a couple years ago. There are no "numbers" on it, other than phone numbers to call for benefit information. ??

-HM

We just returned from staying at RPR 6/18-6/21 . . . I booked the room by phone using the Fan Club rate ($164 for standard room) and wasn't asked for any code numbers. After reading some posts on this subject I called RPR about a week before we left to double-check whether I could use my Fan Club card if I did not work for the issuing company (received my card from TinkerBarb last year). The gal I spoke with said she never heard of them asking for proof of employment, but would check with her supervisor. I told her that my husband had gotten the card in the past, but we couldn't remember from where. She checked and replied that her supervisor said the cards are given to companies to do with what they wish and if you have a card you are eligible for the discounts irregardless of how the card was obtained. Upon check-in I was not even asked to show the card and it was not mentioned. Our bill was correct and shows that the Fan Club rate was applied. Very smooth and easy process. We did not use the card for any other discounts as we had our AAA card and received the 10% discount everywhere with that.

For what it's worth, I dealt directly with RPR for making and confirming the reservation in advance. Hopefully everyone else's experience will go as smoothly.

Tass

I asked my human resource department a few weeks ago to look into it - told them it was free and such - a long time ago we had lots of stuff like magic kingdom cards and other corp discounts..

they said they would look into it..

I am all set for vacation but was considering staying onsite for a night for the express feature.

The FAN rate is almost as good as the florida resident rate and my AAA and hotwireclub and other various memberships help out zilch...,

I have not vacationed in ten years - small window between DD and DS school schedules - so summer is our only time - and I dont want to waste it in line.

Hi Ishy, I can't tell how much time you have before you leave (Your count-down timer isn't showing up on my screen) but if you want to get a physical card the best way is to e-mail TinkerBarb. I think she still has them. The current code is FAN and can be found easily by doing a gooble search on
"Universal studios Fan Club" to get into the private web site
(The Dis frowns on posting the direct links)

When you call, they will ask who you work for. I would tell them the truth. It is for "Statistical Reasons". I will call and double check it now.....

:bounce:

We were not asked for our fan club card when we checked in. I was able to get a 10% discount at the gift shops in the parks. They asked me at the register if I had AAA or the Fan club card.

It is looking like they are actually checking employment.... I have a phone call in to get this resolved.... I will see what needs to be done.....

Sorry.....for the delay.....

:bounce:

Tinkerbarb would you be willing to send one of these cards to the UK (scotland) I plan to stay in the Universal Pacific Resort Hotel and this could safe me quite a bit with the 30% discount.

Thanks for your help

Karon

:teeth:

MizzPrincezz and Ishy, if you e-mail TinkerBarb she still has a few of the old cards but they have gone "Paperless". She will probably ask for you to pay the postage to you (especially to Scotland)

I just had a conversation with the person in charge over at the Fan Club. I was honest about what we are doing over here without giving any names but my own. I asked how he felt about it and what was the unofficial deal. He gave me back the official rhetoric, and I am not sure if the cards will work in the future.....

The FAN Club is an employee benefits package available for free to companies with more than 100 employees.

They reserve the right to verify employment with a company that currently is registered.

"They would prefer" not to have anyone who is not employed by a company that is a member not to use the discounts.

they have modified the program in making it paperless so that the old cards are not good any more.

Here is the "Fine Print" on the membership form
Universal Studios Theme Parks Fan Club is not available to the general public. All membership benefits are subject to change without notice. By providing the above information you authorize Universal Orlando Resort to contact you by e-mail, fax or mail to notify you about special offers, special events or program changes. All information shall be property of Universal Orlando.®

Here is the address of the membership form for HR Directors...
http://www.universalfanclub.com/Orlando/UOReRequest.asp

I guess this means that I can really give out the current code any more (from the Dis Rules) on an open post.

Honestly I doubt if they verify employment, and if you make the ressies on-line I am not sure what they ask. I feel truly sad about this.

MizzPrincezz I bought a card on Ebay a while back. We are not going to be using it now , especially now since the FAN Club people are aware of what is going on. My AAA rate was just a few more dollars and I really feel better about using it since we are members.
I wish there was a web site that showed what companies are members of the FAN. I have a feeling my husbands company used to be.

My family booked five rooms at the Hard Rock back in November.
We just got back on July 2 and I was nervous about using the Fan Card after what I have been reading. Each family member checked into their own room, I had given everyone a Fan card and I was the only one they asked to see it, no questions were asked and we had no problems.

Thank you once again to Tinkerbarb for her help.

I found a great FAN Club rate today and booked it.

RAIDERMOM - How odd that only you were asked for the card. :rolleyes: Did you book all the rooms to begin with? Was this online or over the phone? Did the same person check you all in?
When you gave the desk your card, did they scan it into something or just look at it. Did they ask you any questions about where it came from? I need precise details?:eek:
Sorry for all the questions. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter