"Family" restrooms??

Celine

Mouseketeer
When we were last in Disney World, my developmentally disabled son was only 8 and I would take him into the ladies room with me with no problem. This time around, he's going to be 12 and looks even older, so I don't see being able to bring him into the ladies room with me again, this go round. Are there many "family" style restrooms in the park? Is there one by every regular M/F style??

There is a post on here somewhere that there are some bathrooms for those with disabilities, not sure where it is. I would have no problem with you bringing your child in the ladies room, just because my understanding is there are not that many type of restrooms in the World and I see nothing wrong wtih it, but I know they do exist and I am sure someone on here can help you or a Cast member at the park!:thumbsup2

You might want to check out the DISabilities section of the forum for better help, but there definitely is not a companion restroom at all restroom locations. In fact, I believe there are only 2 at MK, and I don't know about the other parks.

Yes there are some family restrooms, but I wouldn't worry about bringing him into the ladies room with you! When I went this past June there were a lot of boys in there with their moms! Some were pretty big too!!

I just came from Disneyworld and "Companion Restrooms" are everywhere. I don't believe you will have any trouble finding one....

... in addition your son is 8 years old. I would bring my son, at that age, disabled or not, into the ladies room.

Funny thing is, at home, I take him into the ladies room with me everywhere we go. There is just no alternative, and while I would never want to make anyone feel uncomfortable, it isn't as if he's looking at anyone.. he just keeps his head down and goes right into the stall with me. I've never had anyone say anything to me here in our home town.. I mean, he needs my help and that's all there is to it.

BUT, I was thinking that with the amount of people at WDW and from so many different cultures and areas of the country.. hell, WORLD!, some people might be uncomfortable seeing a big boy like him walking into the ladies room with me. I would be mortified if someone told me to get him out.. you know what I mean?

So, I was just hoping that maybe they might have "family" style bathrooms that would make the whole situation easier.

Yes there are some family restrooms, but I wouldn't worry about bringing him into the ladies room with you! When I went this past June there were a lot of boys in there with their moms! Some were pretty big too!!

I don't know about this. Unless you can tell with a glance that the boy is develomentally disabled (and even then), you are likely to get stares - if not comments, or worse - from others at the restroom.

Even though everyone has a different idea of the maximum age that is permissible for a boy to be and still visit the women's restroom, pretty much everyone would agree that eight is really pushing that upper limit. I understand why, and am not in any way disparaging the OP - just observing typical societal norms.

Twelve is far beyond that. I would almost guarantee that a twelve year old boy - many of whom are at or near puberty - would be viewed VERY dimly, unless his condition is visibly obvious. And even then, what if someone approaches from behind?

I'd hate the OP to have to deal with heartache from those who don't understand the situation.

So, I was just hoping that maybe they might have "family" style bathrooms that would make the whole situation easier.

These do exist in WDW. Do take a peek at the DISabilities board, they can help you with specific info. That will certainly make your trip much more pleasant.

I just came from Disneyworld and "Companion Restrooms" are everywhere. I don't believe you will have any trouble finding one....

... in addition your son is 8 years old. I would bring my son, at that age, disabled or not, into the ladies room.

No, he was 8 when we were last in WDW, this time he will be 12 and is a big boy for his age.

I didn't know about the other board for DISabilities. I will go check it out. Thank you!

I don't know about this. Unless you can tell with a glance that the boy is develomentally disabled (and even then), you are likely to get stares - if not comments, or worse - from others at the restroom.

Even though everyone has a different idea of the maximum age that is permissible for a boy to be and still visit the women's restroom, pretty much everyone would agree that eight is really pushing that upper limit. I understand why, and am not in any way disparaging the OP - just observing typical societal norms.

Twelve is far beyond that. I would almost guarantee that a twelve year old boy - many of whom are at or near puberty - would be viewed VERY dimly, unless his condition is visibly obvious. And even then, what if someone approaches from behind?

I'd hate the OP to have to deal with heartache from those who don't understand the situation.

These do exist in WDW. Do take a peek at the DISabilities board, they can help you with specific info. That will certainly make your trip much more pleasant.

That is true. I was just trying to say that I have seen many boys in the restroom with their moms. To me personally, I have no issue but I can see where some people would. Some of the boys I saw this summer appeared to be in their early teens - unless they were just really big for their age! When I see them I figure it must be a single mom who isn't sure of their surrounding and too afraid to let their sons go in the men's room by themselves. But yeah I guess some folks would get weirded out.

No, he was 8 when we were last in WDW, this time he will be 12 and is a big boy for his age.

I didn't know about the other board for DISabilities. I will go check it out. Thank you!

Look at the top breadcrumb links: The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > "Family" restrooms??

Click on "Disney Trip Planning Forums" and scroll down most of the way.

Or, here is a direct link.

Disney calls them "companion" restrooms and while not everywhere there are a lot of them. They are for any guest who needs them and you do not have to be disabled, handicapped, or anything else to use them. There will be those that state you have to be but Disney doesn't and they are the only ones that really matter.

If a father had his 12 year old daughter in the men's room, disable or not, I would find it a bit odd but at the same time I'd just go about my day without ever thinking about it again. I'm not going to let it ruin my second let alone my day or trip.

I wouldn't worry about people staring at you or giving you a problem, you will never have to see them again and he has a disability and if the companion bathroom is not readily available then you have no choice just like at home and if people are ignorant that is their issue!

I would try to use family ones if available but if not ignore people. Put your arm around him and keep him close. A girl in a mans restroom with urinals at that age would be questionable but there are stalls for goodness sakes.
I used to occasionally let my almost 8 year old use the bathroom alone because he feels funny going in the women's. Then a while back a 18 year old girl who worked at walgreens took a restroom break and was raped by a convicted felon and sex offender who was hiding in the bathroom waiting for a victim. I'm not usually overly protective but things like that happen within a blink of an eye.
It's not worth the risk and I can handle dirty looks if it's for the health and safety of my child.

To clairify- WDW does not have Family "style" restrooms like you would see it a mall with a regular toilet and then a smaller one.

WDW has companion restrooms with no stalls and one toilet. The companion restrooms are not listed on the regular guidemaps, they are listed in the Guide for Disabilities. Companion restrooms are not in every location and in fact are very limited. At most there are 5-6 in each park and widely spread out.

OP, use the "companion restrooms, or take your son into the woman's.. do whatever you need to do and enjoy your trip! fi someone has the nerve to "complain" to you, tell them to go to "guest services" to voice their complaint!

I would try to use family ones if available but if not ignore people. Put your arm around him and keep him close. A girl in a mans restroom with urinals at that age would be questionable but there are stalls for goodness sakes.
I used to occasionally let my almost 8 year old use the bathroom alone because he feels funny going in the women's. Then a while back a 18 year old girl who worked at walgreens took a restroom break and was raped by a convicted felon and sex offender who was hiding in the bathroom waiting for a victim. I'm not usually overly protective but things like that happen within a blink of an eye.
It's not worth the risk and I can handle dirty looks if it's for the health and safety of my child.

that was one of the most awful things I had ever heard of. It was here where I live....

Twelve is far beyond that.

I don't believe, at all, that 8 is at the upper end of the age bracket for using the ladies room with his mom. Doesn't ANYONE remember the 10 year old whose throat was cut right at the urinal by a sicko, while the mom waited outside?

Sorry, I misread the opening post. :confused3

I agree with this .... safety is primary! Who cares what others think.

I'm sorry, some of you crack me up. An 18 y.o. was attacked in a restroom. So what does that mean? Moms should take their 18 y.o. sons into the ladies' restroom, and dads should take their 18 y.o. daughters into the mens' restroom? Someone was attacked by a guy with a knife in a restroom? Maybe you should just squat in public where no one can hide.

Hate to break it to you, but you cannot eliminate all risk. I feel sorry for the grown boys being dragged into the ladies' room by their moms due to irrational fear. Your children stand a much higher risk being injured or killed traveling to and from WDW than they do being attacked in a restroom while there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter