DVC Show - The DIS

TheTimeshareStore

Earning My Ears
Hey Everyone! We are very happy with the positive feedback we've received around the DVC Show.

Obviously, the first few episodes need to be explanations of what DVC is, but we do want to delve into more varied topics of discussion. Pete is new to DVC membership, but very knowledgeable of Disney resorts. Jackie is a long time DVC owner and a Disney/DVC fanatic, she also has traveled with children and family. Finally, Jerry sells the DVC products, has used the product and is also knowledgable about the parks.

So if you have any questions or topics you'd love to be addressed on the show, even if it's just for an opinion from the experts, reach out and let us know right here on the boards!

Thanks!

It would be interesting if you guys eventually did a review of each DVC resort and discussed pros and cons of buying/owning at that particular resort. Deciding on what resort to buy was a really tough decision and has so many different factors: price/point, dues, location, amenities/restaurants, room configurations, theming, expiration dates, point charts. Maybe you could even do a short tour of the resort/room(s) and give a review. Enjoying the show!

I would love to hear about each resort - especially the ones off WDW - and what they have to offer. I like Jennifer's idea of exploring room configurations. I would like to hear discussion of the views that are available - like lake view versus standard versus savannah, etc. I would like to know if the upgrade in points is worth it? Finally, a "Tips and Tricks" show would be nice. Get ideas from the boards about the best ways to use points or little known hacks from the boards.

You should go over how long the resale process is because I had no idea it's like 2 months minimum.

Uncontrollable costs of DVC?
One of the benefits of DVC seems the relative predictability of knowing your yearly spend. However, there are 2 things that I don't understand how the pricing is gauged.
What stops Disney from just deciding that a room costs more points each and every year? Thus diminishing the relative value of points.
What stops Disney from raising the yearly maintenance costs to unacceptable levels (note: I get inflation raised rates, I'm talking about 5%+ yearly increases)?

Thanks!

I would also love to hear about the resorts in non-wdw locations. As an international owner I’ve been to Aulani but the others seem out of reach travel wise. I’d love to hear more about them as it sounds like they’re not like Aulani in that you need a car and there’s less onsite to keep adults entertained (no kids). It would be great to hear more. For me DVC and WDW are all about the resorts!

So if you have any questions or topics you'd love to be addressed on the show, even if it's just for an opinion from the experts, reach out and let us know right here on the boards!

There definitely should be a detailed look on UY - how to chose it, how it affects your travel or cancellation needs, how to work it with multiple contracts - do you buy the same UY or different?

Also, use of points with examples of use based on room, time of year, details on banking and borrowing and what to do if you have to change a reservation already booked and what happens to those points used.

The ability to use RCI for points that you can't use? I'm not sure if this is still a benefit for resale purchasers.

I'd enjoy a more focused/organized discussion format. Sometimes the dialog appears "off the cuff" and (somewhat) random. Having slides to show might help focus both the panel and the listener's attention. This would be especially appreciated if you tackle requests above to break down the room layouts, room locations (w/in the resort) or view locations. I'm thinking of images similar to:

BWVRoomViews.jpg

Source: #2

Thank you for the DVC show ideas and feedback. Keep it coming. There will be many more shows and we look forward to bringing in fresh content and topics.

Now that more info is coming out I would be interested in hearing more about Riviera.

I would enjoy an in-depth discussion in what separates some of the DVC resorts in terms of services and amenities. Examples could be the different bars at DVC resorts, restaurant lineups, and the number of and quality of the pools at different resorts. Perhaps you could categorize into tiers based on this overall picture.

Uncontrollable costs of DVC?
One of the benefits of DVC seems the relative predictability of knowing your yearly spend. However, there are 2 things that I don't understand how the pricing is gauged.
What stops Disney from just deciding that a room costs more points each and every year? Thus diminishing the relative value of points.
What stops Disney from raising the yearly maintenance costs to unacceptable levels (note: I get inflation raised rates, I'm talking about 5%+ yearly increases)?

Thanks!
Each resort by law is allocated a certain number of points per year, and Disney cannot change that. They can move points around within a year, but they cannot randomly add points. And because I probably didn't explain that well, I'll give you an example.
Let's say, for illustrative purposes, that Old Key West has 30,000 points to allocate for the year. If a random week in May costs an owner 200 points, and a random week in December is 300 points, and Disney wants to charge more for that December Christmas week...they can move points from the May week to the December week for the next year's point charts (thus reducing the points required to book a room in May), but they can't randomly pull points out of nowhere for that December week. That ensures that the points cannot be increased at Disney's pleasure, and that the cost to members for the resort does not rise.
Yes, our dues can rise each year (and they do), but there are also contractual limits as to how far that can go in a year. When purchasing DVC, the most important cost to look at is the dues. Some resorts that initially cost more points to purchase (Bay Lake Tower, for example) may have the lowest dues. Your purchase of points is a one time cost, but dues are forever.
Having said that....I have saved a ton of money by purchasing DVC. The cost of my dues doesn't even touch what I would pay to book a DVC room at Disney, paying cash. It's the cost of two nights for us. The initial purchase price of my contract was recovered in three years, and if I sold it today, I would make money on it. I purchased 300 points resale at Old Key West from the Timeshare Store (hey, Scott!), and I hope to purchase another 150-200 next year. It's been the best decision I've ever made. I can't say enough good things about being a DVC owner!!

Each resort by law is allocated a certain number of points per year, and Disney cannot change that. They can move points around within a year, but they cannot randomly add points. And because I probably didn't explain that well, I'll give you an example.
Let's say, for illustrative purposes, that Old Key West has 30,000 points to allocate for the year. If a random week in May costs an owner 200 points, and a random week in December is 300 points, and Disney wants to charge more for that December Christmas week...they can move points from the May week to the December week for the next year's point charts (thus reducing the points required to book a room in May), but they can't randomly pull points out of nowhere for that December week. That ensures that the points cannot be increased at Disney's pleasure, and that the cost to members for the resort does not rise.
Yes, our dues can rise each year (and they do), but there are also contractual limits as to how far that can go in a year. When purchasing DVC, the most important cost to look at is the dues. Some resorts that initially cost more points to purchase (Bay Lake Tower, for example) may have the lowest dues. Your purchase of points is a one time cost, but dues are forever.
Having said that....I have saved a ton of money by purchasing DVC. The cost of my dues doesn't even touch what I would pay to book a DVC room at Disney, paying cash. It's the cost of two nights for us. The initial purchase price of my contract was recovered in three years, and if I sold it today, I would make money on it. I purchased 300 points resale at Old Key West from the Timeshare Store (hey, Scott!), and I hope to purchase another 150-200 next year. It's been the best decision I've ever made. I can't say enough good things about being a DVC owner!!
I used to believe this as well, but this has changed. There is a loophole called the lockoff premium that Disney has interpreted that they can raise the points required for Studios and one bedrooms at will. As long as the total 2BR points don’t change, they can inflate the points required for Studios and 1BRs. They did this in a big way for the 2020 points chart, but after a lot of clamor from the members, they reverted to the 2019 points chart levels. But they have claimed they did nothing wrong, and they have said they would likely increase the points required for Studios and 1BRs in the future. See this thread for a complete discussion.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...to-stop-revert-the-2020-reallocation.3726101/

I would be interested in hearing about all these topics as I am researching whether or not to bite the bullet and get into the DVC game. I'm sure some of these things will be discussed in the future as the topics get more specific, but there are some terms and phrases being used that I still don't know about like "trading into" or RCI. I'm worried that sometimes Jackie and Jerry have been doing this so long that they forgot what it's like to be a newbie and that at least a portion of their audience is new to all this. One of the things I've always appreciated about Pete is that he never assumes that people listening already know what he is talking about. Still glad for this series and happy to keep watching and learning.

I would be interested in hearing about all these topics as I am researching whether or not to bite the bullet and get into the DVC game. I'm sure some of these things will be discussed in the future as the topics get more specific, but there are some terms and phrases being used that I still don't know about like "trading into" or RCI. I'm worried that sometimes Jackie and Jerry have been doing this so long that they forgot what it's like to be a newbie and that at least a portion of their audience is new to all this. One of the things I've always appreciated about Pete is that he never assumes that people listening already know what he is talking about. Still glad for this series and happy to keep watching and learning.
Jason, I can’t thank you enough for that reminder! We will definitely dig into more specifics as the show goes on, but I might put somewhat of a “cheat sheet” post together with some of those more familiar-to-us terms. :goodvibes

One of the more subtle aspects when giving advice pertaining to buying DVC is the relative points cost per stay. I hear many people talking about purchase price and maintenance fees when comparing resorts but not so much about the points it takes to stay at various DVC properties. If it takes 300 points to stay for one week in a 2-BR during magic season at OKW but it takes 470 points to stay in a 2-BR for that week at VGF, that is a real cost that needs to be accounted for in the cost equation. Because one will need to purchase and pay dues on an extra 170 points or stay less days to book the equivalent vacation at VGF. I certainly understand that some people would prefer to stay at VGF over OKW, and just as booking with cash, some resorts will be more expensive than others. However if someone is simply comparing maintenance costs between resorts, they may not be getting the true cost of DVC vacations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter