Do annoying people know they're annoying?

My older son has Aspergers and, bless his heart, he can be really annoying. Sometimes he doesn't care but sometimes he just doesn't get it. Teachers usually either love him or can't stand him.

Most people can annoy someone with out even realizing they are doing it... Some people take pride in annoying or aggravating others...

So yes and no...

Completely Off-topic, but your post reminded me of this scene from "When Harry met Sally":

Harry Burns: There are two kinds of women: high maintenance and low maintenance.
Sally Albright: Which one am I?
Harry Burns: You’re the worst kind. You’re high maintenance but you think you’re low maintenance.

One of my favorite movies, EVER, and so many quotable lines :tongue:

Great question! I work with a woman who is so annoying, it takes super human strength just to get through a conversation with her. I think she knows it. She’ll be obnoxious at a meeting, and when she sees everyone’s looks of shocked silence she’ll say, “Oh come on, you all know you love me.”

Like the OP said, she’s not a bad person, just unbelievably childish and annoying, which is particularly tough to deal with in a professional setting. And I don’t think she’ll ever change. People have tried to gently talk to her about her language, volume, word choice, etc. She cries and says “My bad!” (Seriously). But then goes back to her old ways.

Ugh, I'm rolling my eyes just reading this. That's kind of like the lady I work with, you just have to tell her to go away because she hovers and is just TOO MUCH. She'll laugh and be like, "okay, okay, I know, I know." :sad2:

I think every person in this thread (and not) who is annoyed by someone unaware they're annoying, is themselves ourselves unaware of being annoying to somebody.
Yes. Totally agree. We are all annoying to others throughout our lives to some degree.
Some people do seem to have been born with the annoying gene though.

I've known annoying people who know it and thrive on it.

That has been my experience. One co-worker references it frequently by saying it's "extraness". To the point that this person was let go 2 months ago and the going away events are still happened 3 or 4 times a week, all put on by their person.

I think there are 3 types of annoying people.

1. People who have no clue how annoying they are, cause yeah, I guess nobody has told them.
2. People who are told they’re annoying and they just don’t believe it. Or they try to explain that they’re not trying to be annoying, they just have a reason for saying or doing something all the time.
3. People who know they’re annoying and thrive on it. They annoy on purpose.

The annoying people who know it, annoy me the least. :)

I di rhink there is a 4th kind, those who know they are annoying, and try hard not to be, but they just really cant help either how they are raised or their natural personality.

There's a lot of "they" here when talking about what is being called annoying people. Look, we're all "annoying" at times. How much and to who is simply perspective. There are people who I would say annoy me often, and I'm sure there are people I annoy often.

Also, it can depend on how easily annoyed you are. Some people get annoyed by others who simply breathe wrong, others don't get annoyed easily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter