Disappointed thus far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but yes it would be disappointing if your drawing doesn't show up at Animators Palate. But why do people have to point out their children are Special Needs?

I would think all children would be disappointed if that was to happen. Just saying. Or is someone trying to look for special attention and use that as an excuse. I know it's hard to be put into that situation.

From my experience with our ASD kiddo, after prepping and coaching to expect x,y,z in situations that are usually consistent and then some curveball comes in, the disappointment isn't always just that. We have had to deal with melt downs. Not just a temper tantrum "spoilt brat" situation, but total and utter breakdown of everything until they are over it.

Not saying this is what OP experienced with their child, but what I could imagine happening with ours given the perfect storm.

Got beaten to it! The reason to share that one's child has special needs in relation to this kind of topic is usually related to the child in question reacting badly to surprises and inconsistency between expectations and reality -- and "reacting badly" might mean a complete meltdown depending on the child and the circumstances. Not all circumstances can be controlled all the time, but I'd imagine a luxury cruise is a time when most parents would prefer to avoid creating situations that might tax their children's ability to cope with the things going on around them.

So did one of the RCCL ships show up unexpectedly or were more ships booked than there was room to accommodate? All the other stuff (excursion cancellations, bad weather, technical glitches) seems like bad luck, but for Disney to book a cruise stop when there is no room for them at port seems like terrible planning on their part. These things are planned years in advance, aren't they? And to plan to take the major entertainment acts on board on that stop seems even worse.

And as far as tendering, if two other ships were able to dock in that weather, I see no reason why a tender couldn't be sent out. If no ships were able to dock that day, then maybe, but from the original post, that doesn't appear to be the case. And couldn't Disney re-arrange the entertainment schedule to put the other shows on that night, fly the entertainers to the next port, and put them on there? Seems to me like that would be the more "magical" thing to do.

So did one of the RCCL ships show up unexpectedly or were more ships booked than there was room to accommodate? All the other stuff (excursion cancellations, bad weather, technical glitches) seems like bad luck, but for Disney to book a cruise stop when there is no room for them at port seems like terrible planning on their part. These things are planned years in advance, aren't they? And to plan to take the major entertainment acts on board on that stop seems even worse.

And as far as tendering, if two other ships were able to dock in that weather, I see no reason why a tender couldn't be sent out. If no ships were able to dock that day, then maybe, but from the original post, that doesn't appear to be the case. And couldn't Disney re-arrange the entertainment schedule to put the other shows on that night, fly the entertainers to the next port, and put them on there? Seems to me like that would be the more "magical" thing to do.
No ships docked that day.

And, I believe the next port after Jamaica is Castaway Cay. There's no airport there. And it's the end of the cruise.

I'm on Oasis of the Seas right now. We docked in Falmouth with no trouble. The dock beside us was for DCL and remained empty all day. All of you who are saying it was full or that RCCL bumped the Fantasy are wrong.

I'm platinum on Disney and am on my 3rd Royal cruise. I love it. I'm in Sky class for the price of a veranda on Disney with many more perks. i like the "free" cokes and take all the pool towels you want on DCL; but I like everything else more on RCCL.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but yes it would be disappointing if your drawing doesn't show up at Animators Palate. But why do people have to point out their children are Special Needs?

I would think all children would be disappointed if that was to happen. Just saying. Or is someone trying to look for special attention and use that as an excuse. I know it's hard to be put into that situation.

Who’s the “someone” you’re referring to? The OP?

Yes, almost all kids would be disappointed. Some kids - particularly those with certain diagnosable disorders, such as autism - aren’t able to roll with the punches as well as others.

I'm on Oasis of the Seas right now. We docked in Falmouth with no trouble. The dock beside us was for DCL and remained empty all day. All of you who are saying it was full or that RCCL bumped the Fantasy are wrong.

I'm platinum on Disney and am on my 3rd Royal cruise. I love it. I'm in Sky class for the price of a veranda on Disney with many more perks. i like the "free" cokes and take all the pool towels you want on DCL; but I like everything else more on RCCL.

Hmmm..... so the following report was incorrect.

Only Fantasy and Oasis of the Seas were set to dock today at Falmouth. Neither did. Independence of the Seas is due to port there tomorrow.

I somehow doubt that it is advisable to tender out performers on a day when it was unwise to dock two ships in port. Emergency situation, sure. Ventriloquism is not an emergency.

At any rate, it's the Captain's call whether it safe to dock or not. And I'll always go with his decision.

there are only 2 parking spots at Falmouth ....

OASIS class can only part at Falmouth (too big for Ocho or Montego)

You say OASIS and Indep' OTS did berth .... where?

if both went to Fal, then it sounds like DCL got bounced by RCL (who built the Falmouth port)

Only Fantasy and Oasis of the Seas were set to dock today at Falmouth. Neither did. Independence of the Seas is due to port there tomorrow.
I'm currently on Oasis of the Seas. We made it into Falmouth and the dock beside us remained empty all day as it was intended for DCL. DCL was not bumped out by RCCL.

I'm currently on Oasis of the Seas. We made it into Falmouth and the dock beside us remained empty all day as it was intended for DCL. DCL was not bumped out by RCCL.
Thanks for posting this. Well you've validated a lot for op. I wonder why the Fantasy didn't dock. Was the weather bad? If not it's understanle why OP was upset.

At any rate, it's the Captain's call whether it safe to dock or not. And I'll always go with his decision.
Very much so. He would know the ship's limitations much better than us.

I think the size of Oasis plus some technical features allow it to withstand high winds better, hence they are in port but Fantasy is not. I would assume that Independence would be in the same position as Fantasy if the weather conditions today are similar.

Who’s the “someone” you’re referring to? The OP?

Yes, almost all kids would be disappointed. Some kids - particularly those with certain diagnosable disorders, such as autism - aren’t able to roll with the punches as well as others.
That is completely understandable, however what’s the need to bring your children’s needs up on a message board? It goes back to saying everyone is just as important as the next person, with a special needs or not. I understand completely what happens with child autism for example if something is not met. But just as easy as it was to set the expectations, you also need to set the expectations that something may go wrong.

In the OP, I really don’t think that had any bearing for comment. ALL children would be disappointed.

The site I looked at said both skipped, so my data was faulty. However, I am absolutely sticking to the idea that no matter who owns a dock, schedule is set by contract and no one just bumps another line short of an emergency.

Part of this almost sounds like the set up line for joke. "What do you get when the hypnotist and ventriloquist don't show up for a cruise? A better cruise!" :-) I've never been a big fan of either of those 'professions'. We use those nights as an opportunity to do something more entertaining.

That is completely understandable, however what’s the need to bring your children’s needs up on a message board? It goes back to saying everyone is just as important as the next person, with a special needs or not. I understand completely what happens with child autism for example if something is not met. But just as easy as it was to set the expectations, you also need to set the expectations that something may go wrong.

In the OP, I really don’t think that had any bearing for comment. ALL children would be disappointed.

It's not about being "more important" than other people; it's about recognizing that when someone is described as "having special needs," it literally means that they have special needs the rest of us may not. Because we don't have much information -- we don't know anything about the child or their needs, don't know how easy or hard it is for this family to coach their child through unexpected situations, don't know how well or how badly the child reacts in general -- I think it's deeply inappropriate to assume the worst of them like this.

I think it's the case that children with special needs may not be able to understand the situation or they may not have the ability to deal with their feelings. Yes all people have to deal with disappointment, but most have the capacity to learn how to do so over time.

Indeed, but special needs or not, families have to roll with the punches sometime. It is just generally harder for those families, I know, but how could that had changed the outcome here? It couldn't have, there is no "override technical problems because someone is special needs" button I'm afraid.

I know it sucks, I really wish there was, we have a special little guy of our own but that's my reality to deal with not Disney's.

Deleted because I'm not going to continue to participate in off-topic discussion that's already been condemned by a moderator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter