Disappointed thus far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcc034

Earning My Ears
I’ll start this by saying what we hear a lot from people, but I’d like to think it’s really true about me; I usually don’t complain and I’m not hard to make happy……... Anyway, our story starts as we are currently on a sea day on the Fantasy as our Port stop in Jamaica was cancelled due to weather (quick note, the Oasis of Sea and the Independence of Seas both made their scheduled visit to Jamaica today).

The issues began on day 3 as the Disney excursion we had booked 75 days ago was canceled after we disembarked and were waiting in line at the pier in Grand Cayman islands. The Disney employees were unsure why it was canceled and seemed confused as we were sent to another line to sign up for another Disney excursion. There was one Disney employee signing people up manually. In his defense, he did tell us that it takes very long to do it manually by paper. After one hour, we finally got to the front of the line only to be told that all the Disney excursions had already left for the day. We quickly booked an excursion with a private local company, I won’t go into detail, but this entire excursion was extremely frightening and dangerous. (But I will add one example, the van driver stopped at a local grocery store to go shopping for his family while my family waited and baked in the van.)

And then later in the day, during our dinner at Animators Palate, none of our families drawings made it onto the movie as we were told there was a technical issue. Our special needs son was extremely upset by this as we had shown him videos of what to expect and he had put a lot of effort into his drawing. Our server told us he would get back to us to explain what exactly had happened.

And now we have just learned that tonight's show at the Walt Disney Theatre of a Comedian Hypnotist and tomorrow's show of a Ventrilliquist, were both canceled and replaced with movies as the performers were suppose to be picked up in Jamaica and never made it on-board.

In addition, our server told us that there are over 5,000 guests on the ship this week. Which make sense due to school vacation week in the north east.. But DCL should be prepared for these numbers and we shouldnt have to wait 20 minutes to find a seat at Cabana's buffet.

Anyway, I’m am venting, as one would think that Disney would have a backup to the backup plans, which they obviously don’t. Disney Cruise line charges premium prices for their cruises and tell us that we should expect a magical time. Yes, things happen, and Disney will carry another group of passengers out next week that may be magical. But this was our week, our only week, and thus far it’s been far from magical.

Last edited:
I am sorry your voyage has been less than magical; however, stuff does happen both weather-wise and non weather related. DCL certainly can't control the weather (yet) and if they were picking up entertainers in Jamaica and the ship couldn't dock, it's simply not possible to get them on the ship.

I will say I'm surprised that there is a 20 minute wait to get a table at Cabanas. I've been on 7 DCL cruises and I have never experienced that.

I hope you enjoy the remainder of your cruise.

MUN

I am sorry the trip is not going well.

When you say “Disney excursions”, are you referring to excursions actually conducted by DCL? Because most of those tours, even some of the ones on Castaway Cay, are operated by third-parties that Disney has no control over.

Not sure what was “frightening and dangerous” about the driver going into the grocery store. Unprofessional by our standards, sure. And I appreciate that the car was hot. But whatever you found frightening, DCL has no control over (and can’t be responsible for) whatever tours you book on your own.

As for the weather, if they decide the weather is too poor to dock safely, well, that happens from time to time. We’ve missed a Castaway Cay day due to weather, and another CC day due to a medical emergency that required us to go to Nassau instead.

And if they can’t dock, they can’t get the talent on board. Sounds like they did have a backup plan - the movies you mentioned.

As far as Cabanas goes, if you are on an at-sea day (expected or unexpected) or on embarkation day, and are going to lunch during “prime time”, you should be prepared to wait. There simply is nowhere near enough physical space to accommodate everyone if everyone decides to go to lunch at 11:30.

We have had many of these issues on our DCL cruises; however, we never had them all happen on the same cruise. I would be venting, too. And I can only sympathize with the effect all of these disruptions had on your son.

That having been said, it seems more like you are having a run of bad luck than systemic failures on DCL’s part.

Last edited:
Yikes. I'm sure it's quite frustrating to have these things go wrong - especially at the price point you have to pay for DCL. Hopefully things improve from here on out.

Cabanas at breakfast can be a bit rough - particularly on sea days, as people linger far too long since they are not getting off the ship. Unfortunately, not enough tables for everyone.

Last edited:

I am sorry your voyage has been less than magical; however, stuff does happen both weather-wise and non weather related. DCL certainly can't control the weather (yet) and if they were picking up entertainers in Jamaica and the ship couldn't dock, it's simply not possible to get them on the ship.

I will say I'm surprised that there is a 20 minute wait to get a table at Cabanas. I've been on 7 DCL cruises and I have never experienced that.

I hope you enjoy the remainder of your cruise.

MUN

Was it a sit down meal at Cabana's that you had to wait 20 mins. ? Guess everyone thought they would do the same as you and not go to the dining room. Because any other time you just go in and find a seat they don't tell you a time.

So sorry you didn't make your Jamaica stop.

I completely hear you about having excursions cancelled. We are definitely an excursion family and when we miss a port or the excursion is cancelled, it definitely puts a damper on the whole thing. Last year in January (2017) it was so windy at every single stop all the excursions were cancelled. I still to this day consider that cruise the biggest waste of money ever! I truly hope your weather turns around and things will get back on track.
Cabanas can be tough at peak times, we usually go and eat around by the pool if that happens. Again, hoping things get better! pixiedust: :)

I am sorry you are experiencing difficulties.

I think seating at Cabanas is very crowded on embarkation day, so I am not surprised it was full on an unexpected sea day. Honestly, we would have gone to the main dining room, rather than wait.

We are 0 for 3 going to Princess Cruise Company’s private island, 1 for 2;getting into RCCL’s Coco Cay. We have tendered into Grand Cayman only to be told our shore excursion for snorkeling was cancelled, on another line, maybe Princess, maybe Carnival.

I assume the captain did what he thought best for his ship, the conditions he encountered.

I am sorry your son was disappointed, the AP’s show is pretty amazing.

I hope the rest of your voyage goes as planned. pixiedust:

Was it a sit down meal at Cabana's that you had to wait 20 mins. ? Guess everyone thought they would do the same as you and not go to the dining room. Because any other time you just go in and find a seat they don't tell you a time.

So sorry you didn't make your Jamaica stop.

OP said “buffet”, so I guess it would have to be bkfst/lunch, right?

Heavy rain on an at sea day definitely kills one's enjoyment of a cruise. Had that happen on Fantasy a couple of years back, as well as on port days in Cozumel and Falmouth. Everyone was inside and looking for things to do - a bit of an issue when you're talking around 4000 people. The staff tried their best, but there's only so much one can do inside.

Sorry to hear about AP. It's a highlight for most people so not seeing your drawing up there is disappointing.

The issue with Cabanas I've seen on Royal's Windjammer as well, so it's not necessarily a DCL issue, and it's a reason why (starting with my last cruise) I've tried to avoid going to the buffet for meals.

With the excursions if mine was cancelled I'd probably just pivot and go to the beach, but with your son I don't know that this is feasible.

there are only 2 parking spots at Falmouth ....

OASIS class can only part at Falmouth (too big for Ocho or Montego)

You say OASIS and Indep' OTS did berth .... where?

if both went to Fal, then it sounds like DCL got bounced by RCL (who built the Falmouth port)

Sorry to hear your trip isn't magical! On our first Fantasy cruise, the animation drawings didn't work for one of the dinner rotations. Our friends got invited back to the restaurant on an afternoon on sea day to see the process redone. Maybe you can ask at Guest Services?

I understand your frustration, because DCL is so expensive. I hope the rest of your week goes better.

I am sorry the trip is not going well.

When you say “Disney excursions”, are you referring to excursions actually conducted by DCL? Because most of those tours, even some of the ones on Castaway Cay, are operated by third-parties that Disney has no control over.

Not sure what was “frightening and dangerous” about the driver going into the grocery store. Unprofessional by our standards, sure. And I appreciate that the car was hot. But whatever you found frightening, DCL has no control over (and can’t be responsible for) whatever tours you book on your own.

As for the weather, if they decide the weather is too poor to dock safely, well, that happens from time to time. We’ve missed a Castaway Cay day due to weather, and another CC day due to a medical emergency that required us to go to Nassau instead.

And if they can’t dock, they can’t get the talent on board. Sounds like they did have a backup plan - the movies you mentioned.

As far as Cabanas goes, if you are on an at-sea day (expected or unexpected) or on embarkation day, and are going to lunch during “prime time”, you should be prepared to wait. There simply is nowhere near enough physical space to accommodate everyone if everyone decides to go to lunch at 11:30.

We have had many of these issues on our DCL cruises; however, we never had them all happen on the same cruise. I would be venting, too. And I can only sympathize with the effect all of these disruptions had on your son.

That having been said, it seems more like you are having a run of bad luck than systemic failures on DCL’s part.

I'm not sure many people would think showing a movie would be an acceptable back up plan.

I'm not sure many people would think showing a movie would be an acceptable back up plan.

Well, what would have been acceptable? They weren't going to be able to whip up another hypnotist and ventriloquist out of thin air. What other live acts do you suppose they have at the ready like that?

It seems like there is more than one way to get the entertainers aboard. They certainly have other options in case of an emergency.

You really expect DCL to employ the same protocols they use for medical emergencies in order to get The Incredible Burt Wonderstone onto the ship?

Last edited:
I agree with dtrain above. I hope things turn around for the better. Which excursion did you go on in Grand Cayman?

Sorry to hear about the port being canceled. We were on a cruise in 2011 that sailed right after a hurricane went thru the Bahamas. It was a 3 night at the end of August so prices were low, resulting in it being sold out with a lot of first time cruisers. On Nassau Day, we could only dock there and all the excursions were canceled due to the clean up on the island. That night we found out we would not being going to Castaway due to the clean up there. So, we went out to sea and came back to Nassau on CC day.

Talk about being bummed, and it was only a 3 nighter. The pool areas were so crowded due to everyone having to stay on the ship. And on CC Day a lot of passengers did not get off at Nassau. We made the most of it, but we were a little sad.

We sailed again in 2014 on a 3 night, again at the end of August and wow what a difference. The weather was perfect. On CC we got a Cabana.

I hope things get better. :)

if both went to Fal, then it sounds like DCL got bounced by RCL (who built the Falmouth port)

Just looked into this..

According to Marine Traffic, neither Oasis or Independence docked at Falmouth..

As near as I can tell, Oasis, Independence and the Fantasy all were scheduled in Falmouth today so not sure what's going on with that. If there really are only two parking spots someone was destined to miss the stop from the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter