• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Defunct Disney restaurants

Does anyone else remember Ariel's at the Yacht Club? I always looked forward to a dinner there, to us it was really special. The food was excellent, but I most remember the beautiful décor. We used to see celebrities there sometimes; I can remember Mariah Carey and the Sony guy (her first husband, I think) and Bryant Gumbel. I was told that after it closed they used it for formal events and meetings.

I miss CRT lunch pre-characters, Boatright's for breakfast, Akerhaus pre-characters (7 plates to be a Viking), and Crystal Palace buffeteria. I know, the restaurants are still there, but those specific meal offerings aren't.

In 2005 we walked into a restaurant on the Disney Boardwalk that was quite classy and out of our price range for that meal. It was pretty upscale with fancy decor and I believe it was Italian food, although I don't think it was Trattoria al Forno or Spoodles. Was there an upscale restaurant that was on the Boardwalk that closed between 2005 and now?

We used to see celebrities there sometimes

As an FYI . . .
1) When not staying at Grand Floridian, Y&B was/is the resort of choice for celebs.
. . many stars STILL prefer Y&B to other WDW resorts
. . . I can't give any reliable numbers, but my guess would be 75% take Y&B over The Grand
. . . yes, they do stay at other resorts, but Y&B has the best reputation for "Star Power"
2) During the old ABC Super Soap Weekends at Hollywood Studios, many of the daytime Soap Stars stayed at Y&B.
3) I can remember the vehicles being mobbed by fans. *

* Each transport car had a sign on the door saying who was in the car. I knew the girl who drove Susan Lucci one weekend. She was parked at Studios awaiting Susan to drive back to the resort. A mob of older ladies spotted the car and surrounded it and tried to open the doors, while the CM was in the vehicle. One even ripped off the magnetic sign from the door as a souvenir.

In 2005 we walked into a restaurant on the Disney Boardwalk that was quite classy and out of our price range for that meal. It was pretty upscale with fancy decor and I believe it was Italian food, although I don't think it was Trattoria al Forno or Spoodles. Was there an upscale restaurant that was on the Boardwalk that closed between 2005 and now?

Welcome to the Dis! Trattoria Al Forno opened in 2014, so you can take that one off the list. I never ate at Spoodles but that's a possibility, people here used to talk about it quite a bit. Cat Cora's restaurant came & went during the period of time your're talking about.

I miss the Fireworks Factory, Tangaroa Terrace, Papeete Bay Verandah, the Steerman's Quarters, Bonfamille's Cafe, and Crockett's Tavern.

I miss The Fireworks Factory, The Steerman's Quarter, Crockett's Tavern, Top of The World Lounge, and Concourse Steakhouse.
Anyone remember the name of the lounge in the bow of The Empress Lily? That was a great spot too

The Concourse was one of my favorites!!! I also miss The Top of the WOrld and Empress Lilly

Yes, Yes, and Yes! Concourse was a nice first night restaurant for us, it was relaxing, good food, and with the monorail passing by it was very Disney. We had brunch at the Top Of The World a time or two, probably late 70s/early 80s. And the Empress Lilly had really good prime rib.

Welcome to the Dis! Trattoria Al Forno opened in 2014, so you can take that one off the list. I never ate at Spoodles but that's a possibility, people here used to talk about it quite a bit. Cat Cora's restaurant came & went during the period of time your're talking about.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Maybe it was Kouzzina, I was just wondering if maybe there was another upscale restaurant on the Boardwalk during that time period. It wasn't Flying Fish or Spoodles, so my research is pointing towards Cat Cora's.

OMG! This thread is great, so many memories. Did anyone see the show at Top of the World? Cheesy but I loved it as a kid.
Also, I remember a bar where the shops are now in the Contemporary called Monorail Club Car that looked like an actual monorail car and only had drinks called Monorail Red, Monorail Yellow, etc.
My biggest loss was The Fiesta Fun Room Snack Bar and Arcade where The Wave is now. Awesome games, an animatronic shooting gallery, and a little movie theater. That place was amazing! I miss it every time I am at the Contemporary!

We ate at Concourse Steakhouse a few times and loved it. We had free dining at the time and got an app, entrée, dessert. It was awesome!

Also, I remember a bar where the shops are now in the Contemporary called Monorail Club Car that looked like an actual monorail car and only had drinks called Monorail Red, Monorail Yellow, etc.

Are you thinking of the lounge "The Outer Rim?" Pretty sure that's still there and that they have the Monorail cocktails.

Soundstage in DHS was a great character meal. Always changing it up character wise.
My kids always loved this place. There were just so many characters. I think I remember Jafar, Esmerelda and I know there was a magic golden lamp because I have a picture of my little one rubbing it.

Are you thinking of the lounge "The Outer Rim?" Pretty sure that's still there and that they have the Monorail cocktails.
No, the Outer Rim was there also. Monorail Club Car was tiny and short-lived. It was there in like 1978! It was so cool but I was too little to go in.

I do miss Spoodles. I recall our first dinner there. They had an amazing hummus to start. And the dessert: sliced strawberries warmed over the wood fired grill served over black pepper ice cream with grand marnier drizzled over top. Fantastic! I miss the signature breakfast at Kouzzina's. I had just got used to it replacing Spoodles and then they replaced it again. However, I had a lovely breakfast last year so while I miss some of the oldie's, sometimes the new is good too.

Forgive me for this post, but I was born and raised in CA and I grew up going to Disneyland. I'll never forget Aunt Jemimas pancake house, with a woman dressed as Aunt Jemima. She would visit the tables, pose for pictures and would admonish children to eat all of their breakfast.

There was also a pirate ship that sold sandwiches, that you could eat at tables outside. Can't remember the name though.

I miss The Fireworks Factory, The Steerman's Quarter, Crockett's Tavern, Top of The World Lounge, and Concourse Steakhouse.
Anyone remember the name of the lounge in the bow of The Empress Lily? That was a great spot too

It was called the Baton Rouge Lounge. Fun place ........... loved their "schooners" of beer before dinner. Here's a picture from 1979.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter