Debt Dumpers - 2018

Yeah, I know from experience the downsides of home ownership. My entire HVAC system in my house in NC died two weeks after I moved here. That was 5k or more to replace. Other things continued to go wrong after that. At least I couldn't get kicked out of it though, lol... although at that point I was renting it out.

I would have preferred to but I guess it's hard to describe how horrible these landlords were with any form of communication. I offered to sign a two year lease initially and assumed I would sign a new lease after the first year. Apparently they texted my upstairs neighbors to tell them they were now month to month. My previous neighbors said they never signed another lease after their first year. They honestly shouldn't be landlords since they don't even do basic seasonal maintenance here at all without me asking them repeatedly. Oh well. Live and learn. I just got tired of nagging and tried to deal with them as little as possible.
I hope you find something soon that’s even better. When I lost my job, it was an awful feeling but for several reasons it ended up being a prayer in disguise. I hope this situation turns out to be that way for you.

I hope you find something soon that’s even better. When I lost my job, it was an awful feeling but for several reasons it ended up being a prayer in disguise. I hope this situation turns out to be that way for you.

Thank you. I hope so too.

Oh yes I know you didn’t mean to imply that. You were simply stating the law is sometimes too tenant friendly. And I agree with that.
I didn't mean to imply Dentam is a squatter or that her LL is right. Honestly I don't know much about that except dh telling me once about squatter's rights and another story from my boss renting a condo where the people were like a year behind in rent and they still couldn't get them out. It was really a hardship on her financially that she hadn't expected.
There should be laws that are fair to both sides. 60 days is not much time and completely unfair, I think.
NJ has a strict law for everything. I'm just whining...
at

He showed up this weekend to do repairs on the house, but I came to find out that my upstairs neighbors had bought a house and were moving out, so mainly he was here to do open houses. My dog barked at him while he was here, and at the time he said it was fine and that's just what dogs do. He'd even commented in the past that it was a good thing since it made her a good watch dog. Well, in his email he used that as the reason.

I think this might be the real reason. The upstairs unit just rented for $250 more a month than what I'm paying, and I'm sure they can get more for my unit since it includes the fenced backyard, garden patch, and garage.

I love this neighborhood and have made some friends here. People at the market know me and my dog by name. They've watched her grow up. I'm hoping one of my neighbors/friends will have a lead on a pet friendly place.

Honestly, the most heartbreaking part for me is the way this was done. There are some people in the world who I've learned really don't have a lot of integrity or concern for others. It's pretty disheartening. With as many challenges I had with owning my house, I'm finding a new appreciation for the stability it gave me. Never been kicked out of a place I've lived before. My upstairs neighbors told me the day they moved out that I was the best neighbor they've ever had. The landlords don't even live here, they live out of state. Apparently they didn't bother to ask the people around me if my dog was a problem. All would have said no.

Oh well, not much I can do now except try to find another place to live. Debt dumping will go on hold indefinitely. I'll likely have to pay first and last month's rent when I move somewhere new, but that shouldn't be a problem as long as I can find something in my price range.

Sorry this happened and I hope you find a better, dog friendly place soon.

Last edited:

Received an email from my landlord that I have 60 days to move out. Basically 2018 is turning out to be a really crappy year for me. With the cost of housing here I'm not sure what I'll do. Could use some good thoughts and vibes sent my way.

That's terrible! Not a good thing but I hope something may come along better for you!

Guys, can I brag for a minute? Ds17 got his ACT score back and got a 31. The highest score you can get is a 36. We are very pleased. His score will be very good for college apps next year. He’s taking the SAT in a few weeks too, so we’ll see how that goes.

That's an excellent score!

Dentam
My thoughts and heart go out to you.
A number of years ago I found myself with no relationship (17 years of marriage --poof gone)--too many hurtful details to go into,,Left with 3 kids and no home,,and no money,,,thank god for my parents. Moved on and worked fulltime and partime--bought a small condo in a not so great area,,,,made it work. Moved on and have a "cute" home in a much better area. I have to admit without my family's help and support (not just financially) I would have found this very difficult. I also had no friends to turn to as my Ex made sure I got rid of them because they were a bad influence on me (so sad).
It took me a long time to trust (validate) my own thoughts and feelings and I've become pretty good at picking out the "Good, Honest, kind, People" The others I can usually see a mile away.I do believe what goes around comes around and I am hopeful your Kind ,caring nature will help you find a new place to live.
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.,,Keep your chin up sweetie,,that's what my mom always used to say to me.
Hugs to you
Mel

Guys, can I brag for a minute? Ds17 got his ACT score back and got a 31. The highest score you can get is a 36. We are very pleased. His score will be very good for college apps next year. He’s taking the SAT in a few weeks too, so we’ll see how that goes.

Well Done!
Hugs Mel

To be honest, I've been so hyperfocused on the CC debt that I just gave myself a HUGE surprise...guys and gals, I'll have my mortgage paid off in 4 years 8 months! The car is the same month as the last CC. And the student loan, I haven't figured out. But WOW! Just...wow. That alone makes it worth the 3-4 times a week I have to give myself eyestrain. :goodvibes

You are going to love this,,,I have been walking around like I won the lottery for a week now (paid my mortgage off a little over a week ago),,it's going to be great Hon...keep up the good work
Hugs Mel

Dentam
My thoughts and heart go out to you.
A number of years ago I found myself with no relationship (17 years of marriage --poof gone)--too many hurtful details to go into,,Left with 3 kids and no home,,and no money,,,thank god for my parents. Moved on and worked fulltime and partime--bought a small condo in a not so great area,,,,made it work. Moved on and have a "cute" home in a much better area. I have to admit without my family's help and support (not just financially) I would have found this very difficult. I also had no friends to turn to as my Ex made sure I got rid of them because they were a bad influence on me (so sad).
It took me a long time to trust (validate) my own thoughts and feelings and I've become pretty good at picking out the "Good, Honest, kind, People" The others I can usually see a mile away.I do believe what goes around comes around and I am hopeful your Kind ,caring nature will help you find a new place to live.
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.,,Keep your chin up sweetie,,that's what my mom always used to say to me.
Hugs to you
Mel

Thank you, Mel. I live in a different state then all of my family, so it is definitely rough. Sometimes things just keep piling on and I begin to feel defeated. Your kind words are much appreciated. There are good people out there, I've just had a couple of bad apples to deal with lately. Hopefully both experiences will help me to appreciate the good ones when/if they come around.

Ruadisneyfan2
Hi Hon
I had over 2 years of sick days banked--then contract negotiations between my union and our Board Of Education happened--with one computer stroke POOF all my banked sick days disappeared,,now being a single parent I was always worried and almost religiously banked days. That day I just sat and looked at the computer and cried.

Last year I took a sick leave and did get 90% pay but I also spent half my time at the doctors office paying and filling out forms. This Feb my sick leave ran out and I had two options return to work fulltime or apply for LTD--which I pay into at a very hefty monthly premium.
No one tells you that to get LTD that there will be a fight and the process can mentally wear you down.
I have a friend-co worker that has Lupus and she has been fighting for 4 years.
I am fortunate that I received my inheritance from my brother which allowed me to reduce my hours to part time.

My current sick day banking system--we can't bank them--so its use them or lose them--this has actually cost our Board more money.
When I went part time they (HR) tried to tell me I would not get any sick days or Family days until next year--
well I challenged them (HR) on this and just got a new bank of sick days /family days and I will use every one of them.

I know it's hard to fight a good fight when you are mentally and physically worn down but just know you can win and I respect you for trying.
Hugs Mel

I was able to secure tickets to the Smithsonian Museum of African American Culture and History so looks like we will be doing that and the walking tour of the National Mall. Hope we don’t get too drenched. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
I’m south of DC but it’s just foggy here. Maybe the rain will hold off. Have fun!

Bad news...my car insurance is going up. Great news....DS17 just got his license! Dh took him bc I was way too nervous. He just texted me and they’re not even home yet. Maybe now my stomach can calm down. Lol.

I know I’ve been posting like I have too much time on my hands in the last day or so. Lots on my mind with this and college planning etc. Thanks for listening.

Everyone is feeling much better today. DD8 still has some lingering congestion but we’re pretty much all better and good to go after some much needed rest. I swear deep, quality sleep is nature’s elixir to illness and sickness.

Forecast in DC is rainy for tomorrow but 59 which is decent. Sunday will be 70. I’m hoping to get same day tickets to the Museum of African American culture and history. If not, the Museum of Natural history or of the American Indian will have to do.
I also scored reservations to the original Founding Farmers restaurant near Georgetown for tomorrow night. It was highly recommended by our regular Uber driver..lol. We have a location that just opened nearish to us in King of Prussia and boy is the food good.
Have fun! We went in late Aug to DC and it rained buckets on our last day. Luckily, the Spy Museum was a quick walk for our hotel so we did that and skipped the National Zoo which had been our planned activity for the day.

Bad news...my car insurance is going up. Great news....DS17 just got his license! Dh took him bc I was way too nervous. He just texted me and they’re not even home yet. Maybe now my stomach can calm down. Lol.

I know I’ve been posting like I have too much time on my hands in the last day or so. Lots on my mind with this and college planning etc. Thanks for listening.

First, awesome news on the ACT score!!

Re: license and insurance. We are in the same situation in my house--DD 16 is scheduled to take her driving test at the DMV and hopefully walk out with her license on March 13. My insurance calls every dang month to bug me to see if she has her license yet--nope, still the learners permit only (which does not raise my rates). Got home yesterday and my renter got his six month renewal for April and they put her as a covered licensed driver (I guess because we live in the same address??? We do have the same insurer) This irritated me to an extent that was probably unreasonable--i told you people I would let you know when and if she ever passes the test and gets her license!!! And she has never and will never drive his truck. It went up an extra $750 for the six months. So I will have to see what can be done to fix that. I have heard some insurances will let you sign an exclusion affidavit saying that a person in the household will not drive the vehicle???

Anyway, I wanted to write and tell you I feel your pain and I am right there with you--Driver's license, insurance rates going up, taking SAT and ACT, prep for those, college planning, college tours. Today DD is at a regional science fair all day. I feel like the rest of junior year, all summer, and fall of senior year is going to be really stressful with all the college prep stuff. She is my first, and I am rapidly learning how much I don't know. Haha.

I don't know if you have been over to the Disboards thread for Parents of the Class of 2019. If not, check it out! We "share and care". I actually have learned quite a bit from it and from lurking on the Parents of Class of 2107 and Parents of Class of 2018 threads.

I don't know if you have been over to the Disboards thread for Parents of the Class of 2019. If not, check it out! We "share and care". I actually have learned quite a bit from it and from lurking on the Parents of Class of 2107 and Parents of Class of 2018 threads.

I am an avid lurker throughout the whole DISboards and never knew these existed! I would love to look at these threads since I have a Class of 2018 DD and Class of 2019 DD. Could you direct me where to look?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter