Debt Dumpers - 2018

I am so sorry, @Dentam! That news stinks. 60 days is not a lot of time to uproot yourself and find something that works for your budget, lifestyle, etc. Is it possible for you to move out of the metro area and into a suburb? Would that bring better options to you, rent-wise? I will keep you in my good thoughts. Having to move when you had no plans to do so is really very stressful!

No, it's not a lot of time, especially when the rents here are high because of high demand - and I have pets. The landlord was just here the past few days from out of town to do some repairs on the place and told me it looked great. So it's pretty out of the blue. People can really suck sometimes. I love this neighborhood but can't afford to rent an entire house - even the small ones are over 2k/month. Definitely can't afford to buy anything unless I were to win the lottery. I hate the idea of moving to the suburbs. I was just thinking last night as I watched the news about the 30 car wreck to the west, that I am so glad I don't have to drive much here.

Received an email from my landlord that I have 60 days to move out. Basically 2018 is turning out to be a really crappy year for me. With the cost of housing here I'm not sure what I'll do. Could use some good thoughts and vibes sent my way.

Oh that's awful. Sorry you're suddenly having to deal with this. Good luck finding a new place.
Sending you hugs, good vibes & some Pixie Dust.
:hug: :goodvibes pixiedust:

Thanks, everyone. Still in shock here, crying, trying to take it in. I've lived here 4.5 years, so longer than I owned my house in NC. Loved living here. I knew the landlords were not the nicest people when I moved in though, so I shouldn't be as shocked as I am I guess.

Thanks, everyone. Still in shock here, crying, trying to take it in. I've lived here 4.5 years, so longer than I owned my house in NC. Loved living here. I knew the landlords were not the nicest people when I moved in though, so I shouldn't be as shocked as I am I guess.

But still, if they were just there and didn't mention anything and now all of a sudden you have 60 days?? That would still be a shocker. They are definitely some s***** people! Sending you good vibes and I hope that you're able to find something you like within your budget! I think we all know how stressful that is. :(

Received an email from my landlord that I have 60 days to move out. Basically 2018 is turning out to be a really crappy year for me. With the cost of housing here I'm not sure what I'll do. Could use some good thoughts and vibes sent my way.
Oh no.. I'm not familiar with the LLT laws in CO but in NJ as long as you pay your rent, you cannot be evicted. There has to be cause. Hang in there, prayers going up for you.

You know what I think? That landlord was at your place recently, saw how very nice you have made it, and realized that he could charge a lot more for it than what you are paying, given the high cost of housing there. He then, opportunistically and greedily, decided to cast you out and will then put it back on the market with a much higher rent. Big creep!

Oh no.. I'm not familiar with the LLT laws in CO but in NJ as long as you pay your rent, you cannot be evicted. There has to be cause. Hang in there, prayers going up for you.
In most states if it’s a month to month rental agreement then the notice is either 30 or 60 days. If it’s fixed term is notice 30 or 60 days before the end of the lease. Landlords are allowed to ask a tenant to move out if they give them notice.

In most states if it’s a month to month rental agreement then the notice is either 30 or 60 days. If it’s fixed term is notice 30 or 60 days before the end of the lease. Landlords are allowed to ask a tenant to move out if they give them notice.
NJ is a tenant's right state. We have an anti-eviction act. Most of the other states are LL friendly.

Last edited:
Everyone is feeling much better today. DD8 still has some lingering congestion but we’re pretty much all better and good to go after some much needed rest. I swear deep, quality sleep is nature’s elixir to illness and sickness.

Forecast in DC is rainy for tomorrow but 59 which is decent. Sunday will be 70. I’m hoping to get same day tickets to the Museum of African American culture and history. If not, the Museum of Natural history or of the American Indian will have to do.
I also scored reservations to the original Founding Farmers restaurant near Georgetown for tomorrow night. It was highly recommended by our regular Uber driver..lol. We have a location that just opened nearish to us in King of Prussia and boy is the food good.
I worked near that Founding Farmers and my office often did happy hours there. Not cheap but good food. Beware, it's pretty loud in there. And walk up the street for cupcakes at Baked and Wired :) Yes, today is chilly and rainy. Tomorrow is supposed to be the same but if you're in museums, that won't matter much.

I'd love to hear your review of the African American Museum if you get tickets. I've heard great things about it!
The museum is amazing. I went after it first opened but it was so crowded, we didn't get to everything. Next week they are opening up tickets for June and I am hoping to get some for when my parents are here for a weekend.

Sorry to hear that :(

I worked near that Founding Farmers and my office often did happy hours there. Not cheap but good food. Beware, it's pretty loud in there. And walk up the street for cupcakes at Baked and Wired :) Yes, today is chilly and rainy. Tomorrow is supposed to be the same but if you're in museums, that won't matter much.
I think Baked and Wired is near the Fairmont? or is it the other way?

I'd love to hear your review of the African American Museum if you get tickets. I've heard great things about it!
This will be our second time going but like Eureka said, it was super crowded last year when we went. We skipped the entire Emmett Till section due to crowds. That section probably wasn't appropriate for kids anyway, so we didn't mind.

He showed up this weekend to do repairs on the house, but I came to find out that my upstairs neighbors had bought a house and were moving out, so mainly he was here to do open houses. My dog barked at him while he was here, and at the time he said it was fine and that's just what dogs do. He'd even commented in the past that it was a good thing since it made her a good watch dog. Well, in his email he used that as the reason.

You know what I think? That landlord was at your place recently, saw how very nice you have made it, and realized that he could charge a lot more for it than what you are paying, given the high cost of housing there. He then, opportunistically and greedily, decided to cast you out and will then put it back on the market with a much higher rent. Big creep!

I think this might be the real reason. The upstairs unit just rented for $250 more a month than what I'm paying, and I'm sure they can get more for my unit since it includes the fenced backyard, garden patch, and garage.

I love this neighborhood and have made some friends here. People at the market know me and my dog by name. They've watched her grow up. I'm hoping one of my neighbors/friends will have a lead on a pet friendly place.

Honestly, the most heartbreaking part for me is the way this was done. There are some people in the world who I've learned really don't have a lot of integrity or concern for others. It's pretty disheartening. With as many challenges I had with owning my house, I'm finding a new appreciation for the stability it gave me. Never been kicked out of a place I've lived before. My upstairs neighbors told me the day they moved out that I was the best neighbor they've ever had. The landlords don't even live here, they live out of state. Apparently they didn't bother to ask the people around me if my dog was a problem. All would have said no.

Oh well, not much I can do now except try to find another place to live. Debt dumping will go on hold indefinitely. I'll likely have to pay first and last month's rent when I move somewhere new, but that shouldn't be a problem as long as I can find something in my price range.

He showed up this weekend to do repairs on the house, but I came to find out that my upstairs neighbors had bought a house and were moving out, so mainly he was here to do open houses. My dog barked at him while he was here, and at the time he said it was fine and that's just what dogs do. He'd even commented in the past that it was a good thing since it made her a good watch dog. Well, in his email he used that as the reason.

I think this might be the real reason. The upstairs unit just rented for $250 more a month than what I'm paying, and I'm sure they can get more for my unit since it includes the fenced backyard, garden patch, and garage.

I love this neighborhood and have made some friends here. People at the market know me and my dog by name. They've watched her grow up. I'm hoping one of my neighbors/friends will have a lead on a pet friendly place.

Honestly, the most heartbreaking part for me is the way this was done. There are some people in the world who I've learned really don't have a lot of integrity or concern for others. It's pretty disheartening. With as many challenges I had with owning my house, I'm finding a new appreciation for the stability it gave me. Never been kicked out of a place I've lived before. My upstairs neighbors told me the day they moved out that I was the best neighbor they've ever had. The landlords don't even live here, they live out of state. Apparently they didn't bother to ask the people around me if my dog was a problem. All would have said no.

Oh well, not much I can do now except try to find another place to live. Debt dumping will go on hold indefinitely. I'll likely have to pay first and last month's rent when I move somewhere new, but that shouldn't be a problem as long as I can find something in my price range.
Sorry Dentam :(. Wish you lived in NJ. We have our laws so that LL's won't be able to do what your LL just did to you. Housing is too pricey here and affordable housing too scarce. In the LL's defense, it's business, nothing personal but it still sucks. Hang in there.

Sorry Dentam :(. Wish you lived in NJ. We have our laws so that LL's won't be able to do what your LL just did to you. Housing is too pricey here and affordable housing too scarce. In the LL's defense, it's business, nothing personal but it still sucks. Hang in there.

Yeah, I get the whole, "it's business, not personal" thing, but he could have been honest with me while he was here instead of acting happy with everything and then emailing me after he left. Talk about a blind-side.

Yeah, I get the whole, "it's business, not personal" thing, but he could have been honest with me while he was here instead of acting happy with everything and then emailing me after he left. Talk about a blind-side.
I hear you. Don't you wish people were more upfront and honest? I hate "fake" people. They are the worst.

I hear you. Don't you wish people were more upfront and honest? I hate "fake" people. They are the worst.

It's my biggest deal breaker with any relationship. I honestly don't even want to stay here anymore even if they were to change their minds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter