Clipboards - 101

I got mine from Walmart too, they are the plastic ones...like $1.94 a piece, I was going to do the front and the back but the only clipboards that they had were pink and blue so that's what I got. I don't know what it will look like if I don't wrap the paper around the edges.

you won't really notice the color around the edge. Trace the clipboard on your paper, it should fit both sides. What color paper did you buy?

Then hold the edge of the paper where the clip is to measure the width of the clip, mark with a pencil. Cut a slit down the paper slightly. Re measure to see how much deeper you need to cut. When the slits are long enough for the edge of the paper to reach the top of the clipboard then cut across with your trimmer to basically remove the flap of paper that would cover the clip part.
I know it sounds weird but without actually showing you that's the way I see it in my head.

Alright, well that was a trial run I guess! I did 1 clipboard and it looks horrible, but I know what I did wrong...anyway, I got my clipboard sanded, and traced it onto the paper, I cut the paper to match up with the clipboard and the metal clip on the front. So far so good. I put the mod podge on the clipboard and stuck the paper to it, I looked and there was a long crease down the middle of the paper and I couldn't flatten it out! So no big deal, I do the back and the same thing happens! I put the embelishments on and start gooping it up, I did two layers and put it away for a little bit and when I pulled it out I looked at it and I have no idea what my DD was thinking when she picked everything out, but it just looks bad! Here is a description, because I can download pictures onto my computer, the paper has Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, and Goofy in squares in vertical lines on the entire page, (it's really dark.) and then she got a sticker that says "autographs" and has Mickeys white gloved hand holding a pen, she also wanted her name on it so it has the red alpha mickey heads on it. I really don't like it! I thinnk it would look much better with a plain colored paper and a character sticker on it, along the the alphas and "autograph".

Your crease may be one of 2 things, either too much glue or the paper was buckled up when you put it on. You need a really thin layer of glue and then start on one edge of the board, the front I start at the top the back, any place. Kind of roll the paper onto the board smoothing it out as you go.

As for the decor, sounds a little busy but she picked it so what can you say. LOL

clipboard1.jpg

clipboard2.jpg

clipboard3.jpg

clipboard4.jpg

clipboard5.jpg

clipboard6.jpg

clipboard7.jpg

clipboard8.jpg

today we are making clipboards

Supplies
small clipboard - can be found at Walmart or an Office Supply store
Mod Podge - can be found at most craft stores and possibly Walmart in the craft Dept.
paper
embellishments
foam sponge brush
general scrapbooking tools or tape and scissors
sandpaper

Step 1 - trace the clipboard on the paper. 2 pieces, front and back. The one from Walmart should work with 1 full 12x12 sheet of paper.

Step 2 - cut paper with scissors or paper trimmer.

step 3 - round corners of paper to match corners of clipboard (or skip this step and sand later)

Step 4 - lightly sand both sides of your clipboard with fine grit sandpaper. This will give a better surface for the Mod Podge to adhere too. Be sure to wipe the dust off the board before applying glue.

Step 5 - Trim paper around clip part of board. The plastic one was pretty easy but I have not tried to do a wooden one.

step 6 - apply a light layer of Mod Podge to clipboard and adhere paper. Repeat on both sides. Note: where the grommets are that hold the metal clip in place, when the glue and paper are wet run the stick end of the foam brush around the grommet to stretch the paper, being careful not to tear the paper. Let dry.

step 7 - sand the edges of the paper to make a smooth finish where it joins the board. The paper may pull away from the board, just reapply a small amount of glue.

step 8 - embellish!!!

step 9 - start applying thin layers of Mod Podge. Be sure to get around the edges of the embellishments well. Depending on how bulky your clipboard is will depend on how many layers of glue there will be. Be sure to let the layers dry before applying the next. You want a single surface around the edges of any layers (With the exception of thick 3-D embellies, do the best you can). Like where my tags are for the kids names, run your finger over the edge, it should be a smooth transition. Be sure to do the edges too, so the paper will not peel back.

Allow to dry for a good day or 2 before using to reduce the risk of tackiness. And enjoy!!

Note:
I found that a gentle rub with a baby wipe will erase sharpie marker if you get any on your board.
WOW, I LOVE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE WITH THE CLIPBOARDS, I BOUGHT SOME LAST YEAR AND HAVE NOT FINISHED YET. I LOVE THE DISNEY THEMES.
THANKS FOR SHARING AS I HAVE SEARCHED HIGH AND LOW FOR SOME EXAMPLES.YOURS ARE WONDERFUL

Thanks, and no need to shout. ;) Typing in all caps means your yelling in the cyber world.
Let me know if you need any help finishing your up! :goodvibes

Thanks, and no need to shout. ;) Typing in all caps means your yelling in the cyber world.
Let me know if you need any help finishing your up! :goodvibes
YEP, I KNOW ALL ABOUT THE YELLING THING,JUST EASIER FOR ME. I MIGHT PICK YOUR BRAIN ABOUT MY BOARDS. GOING TO DL NEXT WEEK FOR A COUPLE DAYS SO MAYBE WHEN SCHOOL STARTS, I WILL FIND YA.
THANKS

Buffy, DS almost 2, is a big Cars fan so I may lift your project entirely. Are your Cars stickers the dimensional ones?

Buffy, DS almost 2, is a big Cars fan so I may lift your project entirely. Are your Cars stickers the dimensional ones?

yes they are. Just make sure you get in the layers with the mod podge. The paper for the embellies will feel fragile til they get a few layers of glue on them. Mater was the toughest because his crane doesn't really stick like the rest of his body. Just don't brush to hard over his crane but get a good coating.

YEP, I KNOW ALL ABOUT THE YELLING THING,JUST EASIER FOR ME. I MIGHT PICK YOUR BRAIN ABOUT MY BOARDS. GOING TO DL NEXT WEEK FOR A COUPLE DAYS SO MAYBE WHEN SCHOOL STARTS, I WILL FIND YA.
THANKS

I hear you about typing, I tend to type in all lowercase sometimes.

I'm always around, and check in several times a day.

are the clipboards the pressed cardboard, fake wood-like stuff or the kind covered in a plastic sheet or the hard plastic that you can see through?

I Have Used Both The "wood" And Plastic. My Preference Are The Clipboards With The Open "handles" Or Paper Holders. That Way You Can Tie Ribbons On The Paper Holders (the Metal Thingies At The Top Of The Clipboards. The 99 Cent Stores And Dollar Trees Have The Clipboards Really Inexpensive.

We could only find the fake wood ones today. We started and OMG!!!!! It is a lot of fun and nowhere near as difficult as I thought it would be. We started with a practice one. DD7 is making a pirate themed one for her BFF. So far, I have only done the paper cutting. She has done all of the rest. I think I am going to make a lot of these...teacher gifts, godparent gifts, aunts and uncles etc.

Thanks so much for this tutorial, Buffy and to all who replied with their tips too!

we used the plastic ones and it was a great craft to do together.

We could only find the fake wood ones today. We started and OMG!!!!! It is a lot of fun and nowhere near as difficult as I thought it would be. We started with a practice one. DD7 is making a pirate themed one for her BFF. So far, I have only done the paper cutting. She has done all of the rest. I think I am going to make a lot of these...teacher gifts, godparent gifts, aunts and uncles etc.

Thanks so much for this tutorial, Buffy and to all who replied with their tips too!

your welcome!! ;)

This is the coolest project that I have seen! I know what DD's 2nd grade teacher is getting for Christmas now! This is her first year back after a long break for motherhood.

Just giving this a bump!:) Its a really cute craft idea and my DD loves her clip board!

I'm going to go to walmart and give this a whirl..

I'm going to go to walmart and give this a whirl..

It was a fun project. I went to the local scrapbook store and found some disney princess items to use. I did print out my daughters name for it and it smeared just a tad with the first coat of the modge podge stuff. But it looks fine

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter