Clipboards - 101

ML2, Bah! Clipboards are a perfect early project. They're small in size and scope, and fairly difficult to mess up. They're cheap too! Go grab one and try it, it's fun!

DD and I did a small size clipboard. It really did turn out cute and we had fun doing it.

I have a couple of questions.

1. How do you know when you have enough Mod-podge on the clipboard?

2. It has been drying for days and it still feels tacky to me. Is this normal?

3. Do you seal it with anything after you are done>

Thank you for any help.

DD and I did a small size clipboard. It really did turn out cute and we had fun doing it.

I have a couple of questions.

1. How do you know when you have enough Mod-podge on the clipboard?

2. It has been drying for days and it still feels tacky to me. Is this normal?

3. Do you seal it with anything after you are done>

Thank you for any help.

1) when the edges of the paper layers are smooth when you run your finger over the edges. It will still be a bit lumpy but your shouldn't be able to catch the edge of the paper. 5-7 layers is good.

2) It can be tacky depending on humidity levels in your area You can seal it with clear acrylic sealer which can be bought at craft stores. That should reduce the amount of tackiness.

3) Mod podge itself is a sealer so there is no real need to put anything else on except since yours it tacky I would try the spray sealer.

I hope you enjoyed making them! They are so much fun!

I found the memo size 6" X 8" at Staples. They are wood and run $1.29 each.

1) when the edges of the paper layers are smooth when you run your finger over the edges. It will still be a bit lumpy but your shouldn't be able to catch the edge of the paper. 5-7 layers is good.

2) It can be tacky depending on humidity levels in your area You can seal it with clear acrylic sealer which can be bought at craft stores. That should reduce the amount of tackiness.

3) Mod podge itself is a sealer so there is no real need to put anything else on except since yours it tacky I would try the spray sealer.

I hope you enjoyed making them! They are so much fun!

Thank you so much.

I think we might have to do another coat or two. I can still feel the ribbon she used on hers.

Well I live in Florida so it is very humid here. I think I will look into sealing it to try and get rid of the tacky feel.

We had a blast making it. She did a smaller one and now she wants to do a full size one. She has all the paper picked out just waiting for the go ahead. :thumbsup2

12) It can be tacky depending on humidity levels in your area You can seal it with clear acrylic sealer which can be bought at craft stores. That should reduce the amount of tackiness.

Could you please name a brand or two of the acrylic sealer you mentioned? Thanks.

Thank you so much.

I think we might have to do another coat or two. I can still feel the ribbon she used on hers.

Well I live in Florida so it is very humid here. I think I will look into sealing it to try and get rid of the tacky feel.

We had a blast making it. She did a smaller one and now she wants to do a full size one. She has all the paper picked out just waiting for the go ahead. :thumbsup2

It tried looking online and couldn't really find anything about getting rid of the tacky feel. So I'm guessing at the sealer.
I'm glad Ashli had fun making them I have a full sized clipboard that I've had since I was a kid and I think I'm going alter too.

When you do your next few coats just make sure you get around the edges of the ribbon really well, kind of build it up and then smooth it out with the brush.

Could you please name a brand or two of the acrylic sealer you mentioned? Thanks.

honestly it has been so long since I've used any. I used to work at Michael's and I know we had sealer in the paint dept. I think the label was blue and black.
Let me look online to see what I can find.

this one is by Plaid

1569.jpg.fpx

my ds and i recently made one as well. we sealed ours with KRYLON triple thick crystal clear glaze. i bought it at michaels. i'm pretty sure it was in with all the glues. there was a ton to pick from. i put masking tape on the top "clippy" part and then sprayed the whole thing. worked great. i can not wait to use it. 2 weeks from today!!!!

Thank you so much.

Are your clipboards really smooth or slightly showing lines from the brush (we used a foam one) used to apply the Mod-Podge?

they will show some brush strokes. I used foam too. I try to make one long stroke down the board if possible. The only way to not have the brush strokes is to use a clear spray sealer but I don't think you would get the coverage on lumpy items.
Did you use glossy of matte finish? I used Matte on mine so I'm not sure if the glossy would show more lines.

they will show some brush strokes. I used foam too. I try to make one long stroke down the board if possible. The only way to not have the brush strokes is to use a clear spray sealer but I don't think you would get the coverage on lumpy items.
Did you use glossy of matte finish? I used Matte on mine so I'm not sure if the glossy would show more lines.

We used Glossy. It still looks so cute and she is thrilled with it.

I was just wondering since this was our first attempt.

We used Glossy. It still looks so cute and she is thrilled with it.

I was just wondering since this was our first attempt.

I was looking at the Mod Podge website and they have a new decoupage that was hardcoat for frequently handled items. I think I will try that one next since I'm almost out of the matte.

Ok, so I got my small clipboards, 12x12 paper, modge podge, foam brush and embellishments. I sand papered the clipboards and was trying to figure out how to get the paper onto them and now I'm stuck....the paper isn't big enough to cover the whole thing! :confused3 I don't know what to do so if anyone can help me that'd be great! Thanks :goodvibes

Ok, so I got my small clipboards, 12x12 paper, modge podge, foam brush and embellishments. I sand papered the clipboards and was trying to figure out how to get the paper onto them and now I'm stuck....the paper isn't big enough to cover the whole thing! :confused3 I don't know what to do so if anyone can help me that'd be great! Thanks :goodvibes

I didn't wrap my paper all the way around, I cut 2 pieces and they fit one on the front and one on the back. SO I did not have any paper on the edges.

Which clipboards did you get? I used the ones from Walmart, I'm not sure about the ones from the office supply place.

I got mine from Walmart too, they are the plastic ones...like $1.94 a piece, I was going to do the front and the back but the only clipboards that they had were pink and blue so that's what I got. I don't know what it will look like if I don't wrap the paper around the edges.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter