Canon 400D (Rebel Xti, Kiss X)

The telephoto lens for the XTI is priced below $150 on the Office Depot website right now and a friend of mine told me that Best Buy and Sears will match the price plus take an additional amount off.

The telephoto lens for the XTI is priced below $150 on the Office Depot website right now and a friend of mine told me that Best Buy and Sears will match the price plus take an additional amount off.

Be careful with this - Best Buy won't match an online price unless it's the same as the in-store price, and the store has a location in the same geographic area as the Best Buy. I'm not sure what the Sears price-match policy is, but it's probably similar.

Possible novice question forthcoming....
on the camera it has an image stablization button near where the lens would go....so why would you need an IS lens as well?

And yes mine doesn't have the IS lens with it. So Sad.

Not sure what you are looking at. Neither Nikon nor Canon has in body IS on any DSLR.

If you have a lens with IS, there is a switch to turn it on and off.

So I took the camera out today and took some quick shots, looked over all the stuff that comes with it, and had a really fun time with it. It does have an image stabilization on the lens. I thought it took very good pictures but thought maybe they might be a tad more crisper than what I got. Maybe its the cheap lens they throw in or maybe its me? I downloaded some of the shots to the computer and really zoomed in on some of the photos and the clarity was still there unlike the point and shoots. That was nice. I can't wait to surprise the wife with the camera. I am debating whether or not to get the XTI starter bag that includes the bag, filter, and an extra battery for $69 or get that lens I mentioned earlier, Canon® EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens, is this something I need. We love to take tons of pictures on vacation. We usually hit Disneyworld, Disneyland (our favorite right now), and love the ocean. We are hoping to hit either Yosemite Natl Park or Mount Rushmore this year. Mt. Rushmore if the finances and ecomony don't pick up. It would be a very cheap vacation for us. My dream summer vacation though would be to Northern California.

So how does everyone rate the starter bag and the lens mentioned above?

Just bought a Canon XTI for my wife for Christmas. It went clearance at my work for $399 plus I get my discount. I know its an older camera but what can you tell me about it? Any suggestions for a beginner with their first SLR?

Older camera!!!???? It is about three years newer than my model!

MIkeeee

I will post some photos I took the other night. Looking forward to showing what I've got. Should I get the starter bag for $69 that includes bag, battery, and filter? Also should I get the extra lens (Canon® EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens) for my wife? It is running around $149 right now.

I will post some photos I took the other night. Looking forward to showing what I've got. Should I get the starter bag for $69 that includes bag, battery, and filter? Also should I get the extra lens (Canon® EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens) for my wife? It is running around $149 right now.

I'd get the extra lens for sure. You might want to wait on the bag and let her pick something that she'll feel comfortable using... I'm not a fan of the bag style that comes in the starter kit, so I ordered an extra battery from amazon.com, and purchased a bag that works with the way I will be using my camera.

I found the battery at my local circuit city that is closing. I got it for $22 dollars. Now I am off to find the best deal I can get for a lens. Anyone know of any good deals out there?

I would not waste the money on the starter set. There are some very good after market batteries out there for a very responable price.

Also, I don't have that lens you reference, but I have read some very poor reviews. For an extra $100 you can get the new Canon EFS 50-250 which I have and is a great lens for the value, it also has IS which is very helpful.

Possible novice question forthcoming....
on the camera it has an image stablization button near where the lens would go....so why would you need an IS lens as well?

And yes mine doesn't have the IS lens with it. So Sad.

Definitely not an IS button on the camera. Might be DOF preview (stops down the aperture so you can see what will be in focus when you take the picture) or the lens detach button.

In any case: the XTi is a nice camera. Canon's "low end" range has really good features for the price, and are small and light.

For additional lenses, I'd look into a 50mm 1.8 (should be between $70 and $90 most places) ... one of the most fun lenses I've ever owned. For more "reach", I'd advise saving up a little and getting the 75-300 with IS instead of the one without. It's more expensive, but the IS is REALLY effective and saves a lot of shots!

Circuit City that is closing in my area has the canon battery for $20. Just a heads up for anyone with this camera.

Question regarding the zoom lenses:

If I get the one without IS how bad will the picture look like in moving action? Will it be blurred like a point and shoot? Is it hard to keep stabilization when you zoom in on an object with these lenses? My birthday is coming up and I think I'm going to ask for a zoom lens.

If I get the one without IS how bad will the picture look like in moving action? Will it be blurred like a point and shoot? Is it hard to keep stabilization when you zoom in on an object with these lenses? My birthday is coming up and I think I'm going to ask for a zoom lens.

I honestly prefer my lenses w/ VR (Nikon version of IS) than the ones w/out it. It helps you to get better focused photos when handholding, and allows you a couple of extra stops on lenses that are not considered good performers in low light; a couple extra stops is priceless in low light when handholding. (Unless you love going everywhere with a tripod! I don't; And sometimes I can't, take a tripod where I'm shooting.) I often use my Nifty 50 f1.8 for low light and have compared it to my 18-200 kit lens w/ VR f3.5-6. I was able to get low light shots in focus using the 18-200 hand held no problem. So in a nutshell, if you can swing it, get the lens w/ IS.

Your birthday? I thought the camera was for your wife :rolleyes1

Anyway, the IS won't help with moving action, it will however allow you to handhold it at much slower shutter speeds. I really think you should save the money on this lens and put it towards the EF-s 55-250mm IS. It sells in the $270 range, it has IS and is optically much much better than the one you are referencing.

Don't waste your money on that other lens. The 55-250 IS can be purchased from amazon, adorama or bhphoto for around $240

http://www.adorama.com/CA55250AFS.html?searchinfo=canon 55-250&item_no=6

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-55-250m...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1229378372&sr=8-1

The 70-300 IS sells for $464 on Amazon and comes w/ a free UV filter as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-70-300m...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1229378495&sr=1-6

Better yet, if you want really fancy, the 70-200 F/4L can be purchased used on most Canon forums for around $500 ;)

I think it all depends on how much you want to spent. Canon has the new 18-200mm IS lens and Tamron has the 18-270mm with VC (their version of IS). But I think these two lenses run about $500 to $600 each. I would try to get a lens with IS.

What would the 55-200 be in relation to optical zoom on a point and shoot?

Your birthday? I thought the camera was for your wife :rolleyes1

BUSTED!!!!

Need some help with some really novice questions:
1. How do you shoot in black and white on the xti?
2. Should I detach the lens everytime I go to put it in the bag?

Thanks for all the help.

Here is a shot I took on a partly cloudy day of my next door neighbor's house. It just feels soft. How do I sharpen the image without any post production?
IMG_0267.jpg

Here is the lens I have- 18-55 IS
DSC00972.jpg

Any suggestions to make it "pop"?

1. How do you shoot in black and white on the xti?
Somewhere in the menu there's a monochrome option. However, my photography teacher told me to always, always shoot in color and convert it to b & w later.

2. Should I detach the lens everytime I go to put it in the bag?
I don't.

As for that image, what mode were you shooting in? Can you tell us the, aperture & shutter speed?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter