Canon 400D (Rebel Xti, Kiss X)

UKDEB

Moderator Emeritus
From www.play.com for £469.99, free delivery, body only (that's around $850). Seems like a good deal to me. So good, I'm wondering if it's a mistake. What's the betting it won't turn up?

I've never had problems with play for dvds and electronic equip so hopefully you'll be fine.

I'll still have to cope with my 300D but your offer is very tempting :)

resellerratings only has 4 ratings on them and they're all dissatisfied. but none of them are about merchandise not turning up.

I am thinking very seriously about trading up from my 10D. It is soooo tempting, and I envy you lucky folks who will be among the 1st to enjoy this new power packed gem!

cheers!

Yes, sorry, I didn't make myself at all clear. I'm not doubting Play's integrity, I just suspect the listing may be an error and maybe I won't get it at that price.

The price sounds right for the body only. It's listed at $799.99 here in the states.

ndelaware said:
The price sounds right for the body only. It's listed at $799.99 here in the states.
Oh, OK - that's a lot better than here in the UK. Everyone else has it listed at £649.99 (that's approx $1150). I'm travelling to the US in October - maybe I should wait until then.

Let me know how it goes. I only have a compact digital but am considering getting my first DSLR, the 400D. Would be inetrested on what you think a good walkaround lens would be for a day at disney? We are staying at AKL, so will invest in a zoom for the animals but not to take around for the say.

Fuse04

guess he was sick of me talking about dSLRs and not knowing what to get. lol

I like it - but I haven't done much with it yet. Took a few shots of the cat. :woohoo:

I really like the LCD.

The kit lens isn't enough zoom but I knew that would be a problem. I think I'm going to get the Canon 28-135 IS over the Sigma 18-125. If we go to Austin this weekend I'll check them out.

I'll eventually add a 70-300, what's the difference better that and the 75-300 aside for the 5mm and $300 price difference?

RadioNate said:
guess he was sick of me talking about dSLRs and not knowing what to get. lol

I like it - but I haven't done much with it yet. Took a few shots of the cat. :woohoo:

I really like the LCD.

The kit lens isn't enough zoom but I knew that would be a problem. I think I'm going to get the Canon 28-135 IS over the Sigma 18-125. If we go to Austin this weekend I'll check them out.

I'll eventually add a 70-300, what's the difference better that and the 75-300 aside for the 5mm and $300 price difference?

It looks like both the the 70's have IS which would be a major part of the expense difference. I have the 75-300 non USM which is the cheapest one in the range. It is a decent lens. I get some good pics with it, but I very much want to upgrade to the 70-200L lens..... Now I just need to convince the wife that it is a need instead of a want :)

ETA... Congrats on the new camera, your going to love it I am sure.

Besides the second generation image stabilization, the image quality is much better with the EF70-300IS than the EF75-300. There were actually three different Canon 75-300 lenses, the EF75-300 (the cheapest), the EF75-300USM (had a better focus motor), and the EF75-300IS (had the better motor and IS). They all had the same pieces of glass in three different packages.

There is also the EF70-300 DO IS which is much smaller and lighter but over twice the price. You can see the difference here.
2ef70-300_45-56doisu.jpg

270-300_isusm.jpg

Before you start buying more lenses go out and buy a suitcase to carry every thing. :teeth:

Have fun you will enjoy it.

manning said:
Before you start buying more lenses go out and buy a suitcase to carry every thing. :teeth:

Have fun you will enjoy it.

I think I already need one.

I got some cool shots of the cats again last night and 1 of DS. Neither DS nor the cats were being very coopertive. Don't they know that I want to play with my new toy?

The photos are nothing spectacular but I was trying out different features, like the selective focus which I really like having. I need to get outside and take some shots.

We are either going down to Sea World or up to Austin this weekend so that'll be great photo oppertunities.

So far it is less than a transition than I thought it would be.

Buying accessories is a sickness. I think I'm going with the 28-135IS and then the 70-300, then maybe a battery grip and flash......

See sickness.

If you want a lens that is considered by Canon users as "the best bang for your buck", get the 50mm f/1.8 found here http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...142&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

It doesn't have any zoom so you might think its kind of limiting. But there are three things that make it worthwhile:

1) The f/1.8 helps you two ways, it allows you to take pictures in much lower light than the kit or the lenses you mentioned you are going to get. And it also lets you take photos with very small depth of field, letting you focus on a subject and leave the background nice and blurred.

2) The 50mm is a Prime lens and they usually give you better sharpness and color than a zoom lens. I have the kit lens, the 28-135IS and the 50mm and when you set all three to 50mm, the prime really stands out when it comes to image quality.

3) Lastly, you can get this lens for about $80 which makes it one of the best bargins in the Canon lens family.

I have it and love it.

The best bit of advice on what lenses to get IMHO is to think about where and when you want to use them.

We've got the 300D/Rebel and had the 18-55, 28-80 and 75-300. We've just got the Sigma 18-125 as a general walkaround lens to save on changing the lenses.

If you are intending on getting the 28-135, don't forget the crop factor which will make it around 43-200, so you won't be able to get much wide angle coverage so you might find yourself changing lenses a lot.

Just my twopenneth FWIW.

BTW congratulations on the camera, we've just got one and it is a lot faster to operate than our 300 in every way and the screen is so much better size and clarity wise. Also, I like the shutter noise on it! My only reservations about it is the size, which I find a little small, but a battery grip would certainly take care of this. That having been said, I am sure that this is something you would get used to.

Have fun.

Boss Hogg said:
The best bit of advice on what lenses to get IMHO is to think about where and when you want to use them.

We've got the 300D/Rebel and had the 18-55, 28-80 and 75-300. We've just got the Sigma 18-125 as a general walkaround lens to save on changing the lenses.

If you are intending on getting the 28-135, don't forget the crop factor which will make it around 43-200, so you won't be able to get much wide angle coverage so you might find yourself changing lenses a lot.

Just my twopenneth FWIW.

BTW congratulations on the camera, we've just got one and it is a lot faster to operate than our 300 in every way and the screen is so much better size and clarity wise. Also, I like the shutter noise on it! My only reservations about it is the size, which I find a little small, but a battery grip would certainly take care of this. That having been said, I am sure that this is something you would get used to.

Have fun.

Despite my user name I'm a 5'2" girl so I liked the small size. I strongly considered the Nikon d80 but it hurt to hold.

I'm going to play with the kit lens a bit and see but I think the 28-135 will be ok. Someone here uses one as a walk around. I'm coming from the S2IS which starts and 36mm and only once have I wished for something wider but I'm nearly always trying for more zoom.

I'm also going to look at my existing exif and see what range I shoot most in.

mabas9395 - I already bought the 50mm, you are right I love it. I've actually used that more than the kit lens. I'm doing some shots for work next week and I'm almost certain that I'll be using that lens.

I use the 28-135IS as a walkaround lens and love it. I'm thinking of E-baying the kit lens. ;) My next purchase is the 50f1.8- I'm drooling over this one- maybe Santa will put this in my stocking. (this from a girl who used to want small sparkly things in little velvet boxes :rotfl: )

BTW- Where on I35 are you? I went to college in San Marcos (waay back in the day when it was still SWT). Now we live in Southwest Houston. :)

Mellie0119 said:
I use the 28-135IS as a walkaround lens and love it. I'm thinking of E-baying the kit lens. ;) My next purchase is the 50f1.8- I'm drooling over this one- maybe Santa will put this in my stocking. (this from a girl who used to want small sparkly things in little velvet boxes :rotfl: )

BTW- Where on I35 are you? I went to college in San Marcos (waay back in the day when it was still SWT). Now we live in Southwest Houston. :)

I'm actuallly between 281 and I10. Just north of SA, west of New Braunfels, east of Boerne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter