Cabins at Fort Wilderness Points Charts Posted! For Sale and Booking Dates too!

I'm sitting on a Favorite Week #50 contract for CFW - just waiting for my DocuSign. Planning a CFW tour for tomorrow while I'm staying at Riviera, and was going to make a decision on signing the contract afterwards. The thing is....

If that continues to be true, or becomes even more true (easier availability well within 7 months) with more declared inventory, then maybe I should just use my other points to hold/walk CFW reservations instead of locking in to a CFW contract. I was randomly checking availability at CFW a month ago and must have timed it right with an inventory release because I was suddenly able to book Thanksgiving week when the day before nothing was available in all of November.

I started the contract process because I want the guaranteed reservation for a week during the holidays at CFW, a favorite resort for me and mine (my dogs too!). But it's not clear to me whether successfully booking that week long December reservation (peak time) actually necessitates that guarantee via contract. Having been a December cash guest for 2 decades at the cabins, I know it's busy there and I know cabin availability can be sparse at that time. But, if I can get it at 7 months on my own....

One option to consider is to not purchase now but to wait it out to see what patterns develop and if it is truly easy to get in at 7 months. If it ends up easy then you'll save a lot of money not buying FW. If it ends up difficult to book when you want to go, by that the time we have enough data to make such conjecture we will be seeing resale contracts available, and you'd save a lot of money. Since you've been going to FW annually for a long time you're exactly the profile who would be okay with resale restrictions limiting those points to only FW.

Or just buy now if you're okay with the dues. I think going all in with a peak season guaranteed week is the only way to justify direct at this point. If you end up not needing the guarantee because it's easy to book then you can always cancel the reservation, be allotted the points, and then have a effective few bonus points annually (the premium for guaranteed week). You could then play a banking game and every few years have a little stash to extend your stay, book a second cabin for guests, rent, or use yourself at another resort.

I really FW and was a guaranteed week and waiting. Personally, I decided to wait.

I think the lack of W/D was a huge mistake. My guide called when it first opened and he said there was no room for them. I won't waste my brainpower redoing the floorplan, but I have a background in interior design and construction (including the house we built last year) and there is always a way. Usually several ways. It obviously was not a priority.

I know I am not the only one who would not even consider the cabins for this reason. I do laundry each day and can't imagine a big family or even a small family with a baby dragging laundry around FW. Vacation is about convenience. Like buying a home, if there are enough things "wrong" (location, design, maintenance, taxes etc) you walk away without delving further. Each person that does not sit down with a guide is one less chance for a sale. The designers needed to look at the big picture but did not. Just my 2 cents!
Toured one yesterday as part of a member event. They would have had to delete a bed, a bathroom sink or ample eating space to reasonably do a washer dryer. Cabins are very well finished and furnished irrespective to any other issues being discussed here. I’d stay there gladly.

this is right when there is the biggest gap between declared and purchased inventory. As more people will buy CFW, the peak periods (Christmas and Halloween) will have more members who can book the rooms.
As more people purchase direct there will also be more cabins declared and available to book with points. But yeah, there is a nightmare scenario that the few people that are buying will all shoot for the same few weeks, in which case guidance will be that owning FW is recommended to book Halloween week, Thanksgiving, and holiday season. We'll see!

I'm sitting on a Favorite Week #50 contract for CFW - just waiting for my DocuSign. Planning a CFW tour for tomorrow while I'm staying at Riviera, and was going to make a decision on signing the contract afterwards. The thing is....

If that continues to be true, or becomes even more true (easier availability well within 7 months) with more declared inventory, then maybe I should just use my other points to hold/walk CFW reservations instead of locking in to a CFW contract. I was randomly checking availability at CFW a month ago and must have timed it right with an inventory release because I was suddenly able to book Thanksgiving week when the day before nothing was available in all of November.

I started the contract process because I want the guaranteed reservation for a week during the holidays at CFW, a favorite resort for me and mine (my dogs too!). But it's not clear to me whether successfully booking that week long December reservation (peak time) actually necessitates that guarantee via contract. Having been a December cash guest for 2 decades at the cabins, I know it's busy there and I know cabin availability can be sparse at that time. But, if I can get it at 7 months on my own....
There are some assumptions/hot takes being made about 7 month availability and future value here that are just complete guesses. The reality is that we really dont know how it all plays out over time.

There are some assumptions/hot takes being made about 7 month availability and future value here that are just complete guesses. The reality is that we really dont know how it all plays out over time.
For 7m availability, what's being said here isn't a hot take. Rather, the foundation of it is mostly reasoned logic:
  • CFW has only a single view category
    • Therefore any 7m availability will be availability in the 'right' room category
  • Pre-DVC cash bookings were generally not sold out
    • Though this is also true of other cash-to-DVC conversions that are booked up once in DVC
  • Pre-DVC cash bookings had peaky seasonal demand
    • If purchasers overindex on intent to book during these peaks, owners who have 'failed bookings' (not getting what they want) may contribute to more inventory being available at 7m, if they switch to other resorts instead of other dates
  • Sales are extremely sluggish and it's currently over-declared
There are some logical extensions that should be considered assumptions, but are also secondary factors:
  • CFW owners will get tired of or outgrow the single category, want to book elsewhere at 7m (eventually)
    • There's some evidence of this at Poly
  • Based on the slow sales rates, CFW owners won't like the amenities, or will find problems with the resort
    • I'm extremely skeptical of this, I actually think CFW owners will have higher loyalty and satisfaction rates

And another point that's orthogonal to all this: while there may be good inventory at 7m, it doesn't account for 7m demand from non-owners. I know I had a difficult time even starting a walk for an early Dec stay at CFW.

Anyway, I think the biggest reason for high 7m availability really comes down to the single view category. For 7m availability at nearly every other resort, those who want to book at 7m need to worry about two things: seasonal pressure on availability, and room category pressure on availability. At CFW, it's only seasonal. On top of that, there's a reasonable expectation that the seasonality is uniquely concentrated to certain times of year instead of evenly distributed.

I think the lack of W/D was a huge mistake. My guide called when it first opened and he said there was no room for them. I won't waste my brainpower redoing the floorplan, but I have a background in interior design and construction (including the house we built last year) and there is always a way. Usually several ways. It obviously was not a priority.

I know I am not the only one who would not even consider the cabins for this reason. I do laundry each day and can't imagine a big family or even a small family with a baby dragging laundry around FW. Vacation is about convenience. Like buying a home, if there are enough things "wrong" (location, design, maintenance, taxes etc) you walk away without delving further. Each person that does not sit down with a guide is one less chance for a sale. The designers needed to look at the big picture but did not. Just my 2 cents!
I genuinely think the problem wasnt space, but rather the desire to not have to replace the existing concrete pads, which have a specific number of water inlets and drains in specific locations; adding a washer would have required 2 more water inlets and more problematically another drain.

I don’t know that for a fact. But that’s my belief.

I genuinely think the problem wasnt space, but rather the desire to not have to replace the existing concrete pads, which have a specific number of water inlets and drains in specific locations; adding a washer would have required 2 more water inlets and more problematically another drain.

A Minnie Van driver told me in April that they weren't allowed to do this due to the zoning and something else I can't remember specifically. But he said Disney was not allowed to change the size of the pads or the plumbing and it wasn't out of lack of funding or will - it was because of how the land is classified for use.

I think that your best course of action on cabins at Fort wilderness is probably to wait, see how seven month booking goes once it’s been open for a bit, and wait to see what better incentives they offer, because they have to offer better incentives than they are currently offering or they will never move anything. It’s not going anywhere, you can still buy it later...

I think the risk of DVC running out of the Favorite Week #50 contracts is low, and I probably have plenty of time (years?) to buy that week. So, waiting is clearly a good idea if for nothing else to allow more visibility on the level of effort actually required (wide open? waitlists that come through every time?) to book the peak times. The problem is I have impulse control problems and a massive ego, so that's working against me on waiting.

Even if the cabins end up being available at 7 months, that doesn't guarantee that you can get one. I think competition will be fierce for a swap, they're the cheapest way to sleep 6 people in the whole DVC system, by far.

I think this is an under-rated point: for the point cost, it's a very inexpensive way to sleep 6 people and might just be enough to sway interest in that product despite other perceived negatives to the resort (no w/d, long buses, no restaurant etc)

... who buys CFW is not after SAP, they'll buy because they think they'll stay there most if not all the time and the week you're looking for should be one of the highest in demand. I think availability at 7 months will be good in the low season and impossible for Halloween and Christmas.

This is exactly me, and these CFW favorite week points are the only points I would own whose sole purpose is to stay specifically at that resort, specifically during Holiday peak time. I will want to stay there outside of peak times too, but I am glad to roll the dice on availability any other time using my SAP.

I think the lack of W/D was a huge mistake... I do laundry each day and can't imagine a big family or even a small family with a baby dragging laundry around FW

This isn't going to convince you otherwise but for other Fort Fiends (that's a thing with its own website!) like myself, we are content to walk over to the nearby comfort stations (usually no more than a short walk from any cabin) to do laundry and for extra bathroom facilities.

Since you've been going to FW annually for a long time you're exactly the profile who would be okay with resale restrictions limiting those points to only FW.

I have a strong view against resorts with resale restrictions - RIV, VDH and even CFW. I think the market to sell a CFW contract on the resale market is even smaller than for resales at RIV or VDH, because only CFW fanatics will give it a look. I wonder though... how much does a guaranteed week during the holidays improve its marketability on the resale market?

Or just buy now if you're okay with the dues. I think going all in with a peak season guaranteed week is the only way to justify direct at this point. If you end up not needing the guarantee because it's easy to book then you can always cancel the reservation, be allotted the points, and then have a effective few bonus points annually (the premium for guaranteed week). You could then play a banking game and every few years have a little stash to extend your stay, book a second cabin for guests, rent, or use yourself at another resort.

I'm also in this boat. At just 150 points to get the favorite week I want, the incremental $1,824 dues come at a premium of $12.16 per point compared to the lowest dues anywhere at $7.57 (VGF), and thus would cost me an extra $689 a year compared to the lowest dues resort, and escalating thereafter. I'm ok with that premium. If I end up canceling the favorite week because I can't make it, those 150 points become the most expensive SAP I own, but I'm ok with that too.

there is a nightmare scenario that the few people that are buying will all shoot for the same few weeks, in which case guidance will be that owning FW is recommended to book Halloween week, Thanksgiving, and holiday season

This is why my interest is limited to a favorite week during peak season only - my perceived risk of competing with other Fort obsessed people who really want to stay exactly when I do too.

If it were me, and it was someplace I really wanted to be, and wanted that specific week, I would not gamble to see how the 7 month window plays out. By the time you get a good feel for that, the ability to buy that FW might be gone....not necessarily gone because people bought it, but gone because DVC realizes how popular it is and doesn't want to sell the FW anymore...they don't have to sell 35%....that is just the most they can sell.

But, then again, I think DVC is too expensive to gamble and hope something is going to materialize in the future and all of a sudden things changes...remember, DVC has the ability to change the booking windows for resorts, add the special seasons preference list, etc. which could then impact non owners ability to use, especially at popular times of the year like Xmas!

Realistically, how much extra in dues are you paying to guarantee you get what you want? Let's assume its $4/pt more than the other points you would buy? So, 150 points is $600 extra a year? For me, that would be well worth not having to gamble.

That could definitely be a possibility, though I would have thought the concrete pads would be replaced for a fresh start with new drains. Did they reuse the old pads?

Toured one yesterday as part of a member event. They would have had to delete a bed, a bathroom sink or ample eating space to reasonably do a washer dryer. Cabins are very well finished and furnished irrespective to any other issues being discussed here. I’d stay there gladly.
We stayed at a cabin about 15 years ago. We rented a golf cart and enjoyed our visit except for driving to do laundry! 25 years ago we had a Class C motorhome and toured the US. The one thing I missed about that was not having laundry. It is just my obsession LOL.

We will tour both cabins and the new Poly in October with our guide. Everyone has an opinion on their favorite resorts for a million different reasons. As long as DVC owners are happy it is all good!

:tink:

I just wanted to say regarding *current* 7 month availability, it is extremely misrepresentative.

There is currently the equivalent of 1 cabin or so worth of owners and 60 cabins declared. We’ve never seen such an aggressive over declaration before compared to the sales rate. It’s actually currently almost impossible for the current ownership to fully book out a single day, they’d all have to coordinate and the popular dates they’d want to coordinate around are more expensive… so there still aren’t enough owners to do so.

Which means every single day will continue to have 7 month availability. Now competing over those 57-60 rooms against all ownership may be a different matter around popular dates…

My natural inclination was if the sell through was more like 60% versus the declaration, holidays would only be open to owners. Granted, we are years and years away from that being a problem, the only thing that could remotely change that would be a massive sale. Which again suggests the watch and wait strategy on this one is probably coming out ahead long term.

Resale CFW.. I'm going to say ends up going for under 50 per point in the next 7 years (probably faster)

The one twist is we may never see any contracts hit resale at this rate. They may be so massively obscure that someone is willing to support a base price.

I’m waiting for CFW to be ‘re-launched’ in some format now. It’s obviously failed and something is happening behind the scenes, because this can’t be the forever plan. Selling one cabin, or less, a year.

The problem is I have impulse control problems and a massive ego, so that's working against me on waiting
🤣

Look, if you have the money to spare and you’re not worried about it, the downside is that miss out on a better deal, not that something awful happens. You don’t have to listen to the randos on the Internet. 🤣

That could definitely be a possibility, though I would have thought the concrete pads would be replaced for a fresh start with new drains. Did they reuse the old pads?
Yes. They trucked the old cabins out and built the new ones onto the old pads. No concrete demolition, as near as I could see on the FW forum, and someplace in the early information I believe Disney said the new cabins would retain the footprint of the old.

A well made concrete slab foundation with good drainage/protection around it can last 50+ years no problem. It would have been folly (and shockingly expensive) to break all of these up and re-pour them.

A well made concrete slab foundation with good drainage/protection around it can last 50+ years no problem. It would have been folly (and shockingly expensive) to break all of these up and re-pour them.

Just as FYI, there is no "concrete pad" under the DVC cabins. Never has been a pad under the legacy cabins (that I'm aware of).

They sit on elevated posts with big cross beams under the floor.

From our DVC cabin thread on the DIS Camping Board:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/a...being-done-for-new-dvc-cabins.3929532/page-14

img_8899-jpg.854696

Photo was courtesy of @Duane in post #265.

On page 11, @amcc had a similar photo (I believe this is one of the 100 loop cabins).

On page 9 is a picture from @ultimatefans of the posts (risers) ready to commence building.

img_3844-jpeg.840093

Bama Ed

PS - and yes, the design is meant to reuse existing utility connections (power, water, drains) to minimize that can of worms.

I think the risk of DVC running out of the Favorite Week #50 contracts is low, and I probably have plenty of time (years?) to buy that week. So, waiting is clearly a good idea if for nothing else to allow more visibility on the level of effort actually required (wide open? waitlists that come through every time?) to book the peak times. The problem is I have impulse control problems and a massive ego, so that's working against me on waiting.

I think this is an under-rated point: for the point cost, it's a very inexpensive way to sleep 6 people and might just be enough to sway interest in that product despite other perceived negatives to the resort (no w/d, long buses, no restaurant etc)

This is exactly me, and these CFW favorite week points are the only points I would own whose sole purpose is to stay specifically at that resort, specifically during Holiday peak time. I will want to stay there outside of peak times too, but I am glad to roll the dice on availability any other time using my SAP.

This isn't going to convince you otherwise but for other Fort Fiends (that's a thing with its own website!) like myself, we are content to walk over to the nearby comfort stations (usually no more than a short walk from any cabin) to do laundry and for extra bathroom facilities.

I have a strong view against resorts with resale restrictions - RIV, VDH and even CFW. I think the market to sell a CFW contract on the resale market is even smaller than for resales at RIV or VDH, because only CFW fanatics will give it a look. I wonder though... how much does a guaranteed week during the holidays improve its marketability on the resale market?

I'm also in this boat. At just 150 points to get the favorite week I want, the incremental $1,824 dues come at a premium of $12.16 per point compared to the lowest dues anywhere at $7.57 (VGF), and thus would cost me an extra $689 a year compared to the lowest dues resort, and escalating thereafter. I'm ok with that premium. If I end up canceling the favorite week because I can't make it, those 150 points become the most expensive SAP I own, but I'm ok with that too.

This is why my interest is limited to a favorite week during peak season only - my perceived risk of competing with other Fort obsessed people who really want to stay exactly when I do too.

Plus if people are traveling with a dog the boarding costs for the dog could easily consume that dues premium.

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest