Best cash making credit card for young adult?

psimon

Will travel for turkey legs!
My daughter just graduated college. Currently, her main expenditures are dining out, clothes and the occasional Amazon (she currently has no car, so no gas, she is on my health insurance so no drugstores, and she is living with us, so no groceries). What have any of you found to be the best cash rewards card for that kind of usage?

Thanks..

---Paul in Southern NJ

My daughter just graduated college. Currently, her main expenditures are dining out, clothes and the occasional Amazon (she currently has no car, so no gas, she is on my health insurance so no drugstores, and she is living with us, so no groceries). What have any of you found to be the best cash rewards card for that kind of usage?

Thanks..

---Paul in Southern NJ
Check with her bank. Chances are pretty good that it has a no-fee rewards credit card that is available to account holders. They can be pretty lenient with their credit terms. It can be a good way for someone with little to no credit history to get started.

My DD was able to get a Capital One Quicksilver which gives 1.5% back on everything (after Citi turned her down for the double cash because of limited credit history). She could check on the Capital One website whether or not she would be accepted without a hard pull on her credit. She has a good job with a high salary, and was bummed after the Citi rejection.

Discover. And if you already have a Discover card you can send her a referral link. Both of you would get a $50 statement credit.

Also, any cash back she earns her first year will be doubled on her anniversary

Base on the categories you mentioned I almost wonder if you checked this one out already, but I'll mention it anyway. :) Because you mentioned Amazon I'll throw out the Amazon Rewards Visa card from Chase. Get's 3% back on Amazon purchases (and Wholefoods) but also 2% on restaurants (and gas stations and drugstores) and then 1% everywhere else. Also had no foreign transaction fees, which is nice for a no annual fee card, in case she travels eventually. Has a sign up bonus of a $50 amazon gift card. (If she's got a Prime account can try for the Prime version which gives 5% back on Amazon/Wholefoods with a $70 GC and the rest is the same. It's based on the account you use to sign up with I think. Not sure exactly as we were converted to the Prime card when they came out with it)

A card I had in college is now the Discover it Gas & Restaurant/Chrome card. Gets 2% back in gas and restaurants (up to $1000 per quarter) with 1% everywhere else. Even though she's not driving now, there's still times when she may be at a gas station getting stuff at the convenience store or paying for someone else's gas. And with Discover you can get a little bonus when you redeem your cashback for gift cards. Minimum is $5, so I can redeem $20 cashback and get a $25 GC or some are redeem $45 for a $50. Lots of clothing and movie gift cards available.
You can sometimes find a $50 statement credit bonus for signing up for this card and, regardless of any other sign up bonus, at the end of the first year all cashback earned is doubled. It also has no foreign transaction fees and a couple of first time fee waivers like late payment.

Discover was one of my first credit cards and I know of several other people who were the same so should be fairly lenient on credit history. I think I read credit scores in mid 600's were getting the Amazon card but don't know what credit history is needed for that one, I think Chase likes 6 months or more. If she has less than that then I second @Marionnette suggestion of checking her bank. Some bank cards have gotten pretty competitive in the rewards space now so there might be a good option there.

Another vote for Discover! I also just graduated, and I got the Discover Student card my second semester of college. I really like that every purchase earns cashback, and you can use cashback earned from the card to pay for Amazon purchases (the gift card method mentioned above works out better in terms of bang for your buck, but this is also a good option). Discover's app and website are also super user-friendly, and their fraud protection is really great, too.

I'd vote for Discover as well! It was my first credit card. can use your cashback on Amazon, and the rotating rewards were a great way to teach me to pay attention to categories and watch my cash back climb!

Thanks..

---Paul in Southern NJ
Nice life. A college graduate with a job who gets to live and eat free.

So with everyone also chiming in with having their Discover card still, I'll just mention that while she may not be doing many things now, I assume at some point soon she will be driving and stopping at drug stores and grocery stores and other things as she starts her post-college life. With little credit history you might not want to jump from card to card so quickly. So while not married to the card for life you may want to consider future potential too. At least for the next 2 years or so in the future.

My Discover wasn't my first card, but it is now my oldest open account on my credit report so that helps my score and history. I'm not saying she needs to keep it 20 years, but something that's flexible and works consistently for the first couple years would be helpful. I got a regular Discover and on a phone call with them they offered to product change me to the Gas & Restaurants card I mentioned, which at the time was so much better than what I had and still kept my original open date. (And I still use it) So also maybe look at a card that has the potential for another product she could convert to later to keep the account age.

Another vote for Discover, partly because of the cash back categories and partly because it seems easier than Chase for someone who doesn't have any credit history to be approved for. Chase Freedom is another good choice, but Chase typically won't approve someone without a credit history.

I’m thinking Citi Double Cash... 1% back when you make a purchase, 1% back when you pay your bill. Currently offering a $100 bonus after $500 spend in 3 months.

WOW.

young people today graduate with so much in student loans, in many areas rents can be high and first/last/security can take a while to save up. Many parents are happy to help their recent graduates save some money before they move out on their own

Last edited:

Yes nice life. I'm proud of her and happy to help her save a few $. My older daughter is currently home too. My parents did it for me and I am more than happy to make sure my kids start off not in debt. It's not hurting me so why not!

Life goes by too quick and then they leave. I am happy to enjoy my grown kids now.

---Paul in Southern NJ

Really, you needed to leave that helpful comment.

To the OP, my DD21 just graduated, too. Congrats! She is hoping to qualify for a Southwest shortly after her job starts.

Thanks.... I also thought that comment was uncalled for. I am happy my daughter is with me. Maybe some parents don't enjoy the company of their grown kids.... I do.

Anyway, back to the original topic. Southwest might be an interesting choice.... if she wants to go to WDW with her buddies.

thanks!

---Paul in Southern NJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter