Back to School during the pandemic ...a discussion thread

It's almost 9:30pm.... is there any parent that is still nervous like me, doing last-minute packing for the kids for tomorrow? I don't think I can sleep well tonight. Gosh... This is affecting the parents more than the kids.

It's almost 9:30pm.... is there any parent that is still nervous like me, doing last-minute packing for the kids for tomorrow? I don't think I can sleep well tonight. Gosh... This is affecting the parents more than the kids.

You are very right. I think it is way tougher on the parents.

This is me! I just finished packing. Now reading disboards because I’m too keyed up to sleep. First day of school tomorrow 😱🤯

You are very right. I think it is way tougher on the parents.
I’m sure this will be me Wed night as my dd starts Thurs. I’m glad this is harder on the parents as we correctly take on the worry so our children can be kids!

We live in Oshawa and sadly too many children grew up far too quickly this weekend when Friday’s tragedy took the lives of one of their friends or a beloved teacher. :(

yes, loving parents are thinking what you are.....and not sleeping. Hoping that things go well and curious to see the children’s reaction when they see their friends again. The teachers love and care for their students should be of a comfort to you. Some Parents lack of respect with hygiene and a variety of Other reasons may scuttle this but hopefully not. This is affecting children more than we think. All the Best !!!

Last edited:
This will be me for the next three nights! DS7 starts tomorrow, DD10 the next day and DS13 on Friday. Our school sent out an email telling us to send suntan lotion and a hat as they will be spending a significant part of the day outside. I think being outside more will be good for all of the students! Good luck to all the parents and teachers and I hope everyone has a great first week!!!

DD starts grade 7 tomorrow! I am excited for her. I love that her main concern is trying to keep her hair’s face-framing layers curled “away” from her face lol No issues with the mask, distancing, no lockers...just preteen girlie stuff 😍
My DD10's main concern is what mask will match what she is wearing, LOL!

DS16 was not added to any of his classes, the login page is frozen and he’s clicking around in frustration reading 10 sets of instructions and guides trying to figure out what he is doing wrong. Not a great start to the online learning portion. Hopefully we get it figured out today.
A shame they didn’t just use the Prism online consortium or ILC courses that have been in use for years. I will never understand the government led school system. So much waste of tax dollars.

We opted out of both offerings. Dd logged on with the ILC this morning and is on her way. ILC has been offering courses since 1926. Why would the government not have looked to them for guidance with online/independent learning?

There are some major kinks to be worked out but he’s accessed his course content for accounting so he’s following the lesson plan and put in a help request for the stuff he’s been denied access to.

DS set an alarm for this morning, did his hair, put on his new back to school clothes , made breakfast , took his allergy meds and sat down to the computer for period one start. It was so cute . He’s really excited to be starting school again. He enjoys it and he craves structure and purpose. Remind me of this day when I’m knocking on his door and hollering he’s got 15 minutes or his going to miss his bus. This will wear off soon :rolleyes1.

This will be me tonight. And most of today. The rain weather suits my mood i guess. I will worry whether I made the right choice, whether he has everything he needs, if his friends are in school or not. And probably for the whole school year. I have tomorrow off, normally I would walk him up to school on the first day but they said parents can't be there so it will be strange.

This will be me tonight. And most of today. The rain weather suits my mood i guess. I will worry whether I made the right choice, whether he has everything he needs, if his friends are in school or not. And probably for the whole school year. I have tomorrow off, normally I would walk him up to school on the first day but they said parents can't be there so it will be strange.
Hugs to you today , and all the parents who are worrying and nervous. :grouphug:
I realized I was going to worry if I made the right decision no matter what I chose.

My son doesn't start until tomorrow, and his first day will be on line. Tonight will be my sleepless night, followed by tomorrow's sleepless night, as he goes in to class on Thurs.

Older DS will be starting university on Thurs (online). We went out to pick up his dorm room keys and take a bunch of his stuff (and make the bed), but he won't be actually moving in until later in the semester or even for the next. It was nice to get his place, though. He thinks he will be happy there and, more importantly, I approve. It looks like a nice place and he will be safe and hopefully able to be successful and even make friends.

I hope everyone’s first days go well! DD goes into grade 7 this year, first day is on Friday. It’s also her first day at the high school. Our town only has one high school, grades 7/8 in their own wing and 9-12 in the rest of the school. Due to COVID she didn’t get the usual Grade 7 tour of the high school back in June so she’s a bit nervous about not knowing her way around. Fingers crossed it goes well!

DS starts at his new school tomorrow, it's only a 90 minute assembly for just the grade 10 students but full day in school learning starts at 8:10am Thursday.

Between the wacky week1/week2 schedule and the 3 different uniforms he has to wear (PE, daily and #1 dress) on various days, I may lose my mind before we get all of this figured out! o_O

As far as I can tell, they wear their daily on M, T, Th, Fri and their #1's on Wed. But, because of Covid the school, has closed the change rooms so now they wear their PH uniform any day that they have PE and do not get changed at all. Of course, on week 1, DS has PE on M, W, F and week 2 on M, T, Th.

(consulting my spreadsheet, venn diagram, pie chart, and possibly ouija board)

I think we have it figured out but we are going to have to get a calendar started JUST for what the heck he has to wear each day...and here I thought one of the side benefits of private school was going to be that he no longer had to worry about what to put on each day! :rotfl:

I still feel so lost about what my kids are doing!

My ODS starts Gr. 9 tomorrow. Only the one day (orientation), then he's home until a week from Thursday. However, we don't know if he's supposed to be doing online learning beginning on Friday? I think so, but no guidance about that yet. I'm assuming he'll get that tomorrow. At least he knows what classes he has (Math and Business this quadmester).

My MDS starts Gr. 5 on Thursday. We assumed he'd start next week like the rest of his school. He's in SpEd (full time enrichment) so they are starting full time this week. Kind of funny that the enrichment kids "need" to start earlier (I know it's just that they treat all congregated classes the same, but it is a bit funny). However, although most kids in his class will be bussed this week, he won't be. Our enrichment class is in our home school, so he doesn't get special bussing. Regular busses don't start until next week, so we need to take him Thursday and Friday (he's the only kid in the class from our home school, so I think they just didn't even think about his bus). Thankfully that isn't an issue for us.

My YDS starts Gr. 3 next Tuesday. We still don't know his teacher yet, but it doesn't really matter, so I guess he's good to go.

My DD starts Gr. 10 at some point. They haven't told her what Cohort she's in yet, or what classes she has. Since we are supposed to be carpooling, not knowing Cohorts is annoying. Oh well. At some point I imagine she'll learn what classes she's taking and what cohort she's in.

o_O:oops:

I dropped kiddo off for grade 6 this morning, it was a bit rainy so I drove him. I have no idea if he will have any friends in his class or even how many kids are in his class. It seems his friends are mostly doing online or in the non-immersion group. I think I am more nervous than when he started JK. And the house is SO QUIET! At least tomorrow I am back at work so will be busy myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter