Back to School during the pandemic ...a discussion thread

So, of the 46 schools already reporting Covid cases in Quebec after the first week, have they said how many students have had to isolate as a result? I didn't see anything in the CBC article, but saw they said "In cases where there are concerns of contact between students or staff, everyone in a given class might be told to go into self-isolation and monitor for symptoms in order to prevent further spread of the virus."

So, of the 46 schools already reporting Covid cases in Quebec after the first week, have they said how many students have had to isolate as a result? I didn't see anything in the CBC article, but saw they said "In cases where there are concerns of contact between students or staff, everyone in a given class might be told to go into self-isolation and monitor for symptoms in order to prevent further spread of the virus."
They are refusing to give numbers.... Since they wouldn’t give the list of schools even, an acct on Twitter started a running total based on reports from parents, of infected schools and there are many more. I will try to link here.

A bit of info I would like to point out to everyone. Before school starts and people start freaking out about “outbreaks”. Outbreaks is not even an accurate term. It’s considered an outbreak as soon as a single person tests positive. So you could have one person (adult or child) who has caught covid somewhere else, but an outbreak will be reported at the school/daycare etc even if there isn’t a other single person who got infected from them. So you will hear about “outbreaks” even when all the protocols are working.

A friend of mine recently sent me an article freaking out about kids going back to school because there was an “outbreak” at a day camp. They freaked saying “see kids can’t go back it’s too dangerous, look there was an outbreak at a camp”. There was a single case of one child that tested positive 🙄. The child caught it from someone else. Not at the camp. And apparently the outbreak is still listed as having only a single case. That’s not an outbreak.

A bit of info I would like to point out to everyone. Before school starts and people start freaking out about “outbreaks”. Outbreaks is not even an accurate term. It’s considered an outbreak as soon as a single person tests positive. So you could have one person (adult or child) who has caught covid somewhere else, but an outbreak will be reported at the school/daycare etc even if there isn’t a other single person who got infected from them. So you will hear about “outbreaks” even when all the protocols are working.

A friend of mine recently sent me an article freaking out about kids going back to school because there was an “outbreak” at a day camp. They freaked saying “see kids can’t go back it’s too dangerous, look there was an outbreak at a camp”. There was a single case of one child that tested positive 🙄. The child caught it from someone else. Not at the camp. And apparently the outbreak is still listed as having only a single case. That’s not an outbreak.

And....not a single person used the word outbreak. Not here or in the news.

Last edited:
They are using outbreak in the news. Public health reports them as an outbreak. They have actually defined an outbreak as “one or more cases”.

The CBC article I read didn't refer to them that way. Regardless, outbreak or not, that wasn't the point of my post.

The CBC article I read didn't refer to them that way. Regardless, outbreak or not, that wasn't the point of my post.

I wasn’t commenting on your post. I was just giving people information that even a single case can be called an outbreak.

My post had nothing to do with you.

You seem like you want to argue with people even when there is nothing to argue over 🙄

Our schools have been open 2 weeks. Of the 33 campuses in the district, 6 have had COVID cases (one has 3 and 5 have 1). The ratio of quarantined people (per single case of COVID) appears to be in the 2-5 range on average. The school with 3 cases is a high school, but the cases appear to be pretty evenly spread across elementary, middle school and high school. Our DD’s school has around 800 on campus(and 300 remote learners) and we don’t have any cases yet. We are in Texas- our region doesn’t have low numbers, although our immediate area does. Face coverings are required and are strictly enforced. Kids with “symptoms” are quickly sent off campus and can only return with a negative COVID test AND an alternate diagnosis (or subject to other quarantine measures if COVID positive). All-in-all it’s been a good start to the year- fingers crossed Labor Day doesn’t throw a wrench in it.

I wasn’t commenting on your post. I was just giving people information that even a single case can be called an outbreak.

My post had nothing to do with you.

You seem like you want to argue with people even when there is nothing to argue over 🙄

Yeah that's the pot calling the kettle black if I ever heard it lol.

You quoted my post, so yes, that implies it has to do with what I'm saying. Hence my initial reply. My second reply was not an argument. It was a mere statement/explanation that the article I read hadn't used that word, and that fear mongering over outbreaks wasn't the point of my post which you quoted.

At any rate. Lesson learned for unblocking. 🙄

Last edited:
Our schools have been open 2 weeks. Of the 33 campuses in the district, 6 have had COVID cases (one has 3 and 5 have 1). The ratio of quarantined people (per single case of COVID) appears to be in the 2-5 range on average. The school with 3 cases is a high school, but the cases appear to be pretty evenly spread across elementary, middle school and high school. Our DD’s school has around 800 on campus(and 300 remote learners) and we don’t have any cases yet. We are in Texas- our region doesn’t have low numbers, although our immediate area does. Face coverings are required and are strictly enforced. Kids with “symptoms” are quickly sent off campus and can only return with a negative COVID test AND an alternate diagnosis (or subject to other quarantine measures if COVID positive). All-in-all it’s been a good start to the year- fingers crossed Labor Day doesn’t throw a wrench in it.

Sounds like they're doing a good job of enforcing the rules. They announced here that students not complying with the mask rules will be suspended/removed from school until they comply. There's been some uproar over that.

Yeah that's the pot calling the kettle black if I ever heard it lol.

You quoted my post, so yes, that implies it has to do with what I'm saying. Hence my initial reply. My second reply was not an argument. It was a mere statement that the article I read hadn't used that word, and an explanation that fear mongering over outbreaks wasn't the point of my post which you quoted.

At any rate. Lesson learned for unblocking. 🙄

I didn’t quote anyone in my post about outbreaks.

Well for that, I'm sorry. For whatever reason, to my tired mind, at quick glance it looked like you had quoted me, which made your comment seem pointed at mine.

Apology accepted. The talk of cases in schools had just reminded me of what my friend had sent me. I wasn’t commenting on what you guys were discussing regarding Quebec schools.

Apology accepted. The talk of cases in schools had just reminded me of what my friend had sent me. I wasn’t commenting on what you guys were discussing regarding Quebec schools.

I do agree that calling a single case an outbreak is misleading. I've seen that term used for other things, too - measles, whooping cough etc...

This sounds an excellent system. In Ontario a student can continue to attend school even if a parent in the same household has tested positive..... A student does NOT need a COVID test to return to school after showing symptoms.... I think what you described is very sensible and fingers crossed for you that the school start up is smooth.

This sounds an excellent system. In Ontario a student can continue to attend school even if a parent in the same household has tested positive..... A student does NOT need a COVID test to return to school after showing symptoms.... I think what you described is very sensible and fingers crossed for you that the school start up is smooth.

This is what is on the Ontario.ca website.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/operational-guidance-covid-19-management-schools#section-3
Scenario: Parent tests positive for COVID-19
This scenario applies to anyone who shares a household with a student or staff member in a school community.

If a parent receives a positive test for COVID-19, he or she is not obligated to inform the school of their test result. However, it is strongly recommended.

Children in a household where a parent or other member has tested positive should stay home and isolate for 14 days.

The PHU would provide direction to close contacts, including household members of a person diagnosed with COVID-19.

The PHU would provide direction to the school principal on the actions to be taken with the school, depending on the circumstances of the positive COVID-19 case.

Recommended action by teacher
The teacher should:

• support continuation of learning for any students who need to isolate if necessary
Recommended action by principal
The principal should:

• if student is in the school, when notified by the parent, coordinate immediate student pick-up and designate an area to isolate the student until pickup
  • ask that the student follow the direction of their health care provider and PHU
  • ensure student portfolio information (that is, class list, seating charts, transportation details, etc.) is up-to-date. Note: Be prepared to provide this information to PHU upon request
  • support PHU next steps
  • connect with Superintendent and make them aware of the situation
  • ensure/coordinate environmental cleaning and/or disinfection of the space and items used by the individual(s)
  • if the student tests positive, refer to Management of Positive COVID-19 diagnosis in the school.
    • monitor the school population for new/additional illness
    • report in the daily tracking tool as necessary
Recommended action by school board
The superintendent should:

• inform the board COVID-19 lead and support principal as needed
The board COVID-19 lead should:

• continue to monitor the situation and liaise with the Ministry of Education as necessary
Recommended action by parent and student
The parent and student should:

• continue to adhere to current infection prevention, control practices and advice provided by local public health
Note: Testing recommendations are made by an individual’s health care provider and PHU.

This is what is on the Ontario.ca website.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/operational-guidance-covid-19-management-schools#section-3
Scenario: Parent tests positive for COVID-19
This scenario applies to anyone who shares a household with a student or staff member in a school community.

If a parent receives a positive test for COVID-19, he or she is not obligated to inform the school of their test result. However, it is strongly recommended.

Children in a household where a parent or other member has tested positive should stay home and isolate for 14 days.

The PHU would provide direction to close contacts, including household members of a person diagnosed with COVID-19.

The PHU would provide direction to the school principal on the actions to be taken with the school, depending on the circumstances of the positive COVID-19 case.

Recommended action by teacher
The teacher should:

• support continuation of learning for any students who need to isolate if necessary
Recommended action by principal
The principal should:

• if student is in the school, when notified by the parent, coordinate immediate student pick-up and designate an area to isolate the student until pickup
  • ask that the student follow the direction of their health care provider and PHU
  • ensure student portfolio information (that is, class list, seating charts, transportation details, etc.) is up-to-date. Note: Be prepared to provide this information to PHU upon request
  • support PHU next steps
  • connect with Superintendent and make them aware of the situation
  • ensure/coordinate environmental cleaning and/or disinfection of the space and items used by the individual(s)
  • if the student tests positive, refer to Management of Positive COVID-19 diagnosis in the school.
    • monitor the school population for new/additional illness
    • report in the daily tracking tool as necessary
Recommended action by school board
The superintendent should:

• inform the board COVID-19 lead and support principal as needed
The board COVID-19 lead should:

• continue to monitor the situation and liaise with the Ministry of Education as necessary
Recommended action by parent and student
The parent and student should:

• continue to adhere to current infection prevention, control practices and advice provided by local public health
Note: Testing recommendations are made by an individual’s health care provider and PHU.
Strongly recommended does not equal required 🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️

ETA - I think by now it is evident that I am extremely well informed on this specific issue (school return in ON during C-19).

The hrs I spend on different platforms sourcing info from a variety of sources is extensive. I am diagnosed OCD and am compulsive in research- I simply cannot help myself & must know as much as possible to quiet my mind. I believe I said weeks ago on the border thread that school wouldn’t be the same - rows, no group work etc etc. only to be poo-pooed. I am ALWAYS open to new information, and to being corrected, but encourage others to do as much research as possible as adding incorrect information is confusing & counterproductive.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest