Hand money

I couldn’t even tell you the last time I had paper (ours is plastic) money, never mind the last time I even saw some lol

I use cash once or twice a year.

I write checks when I have to renew a passport but not otherwise.

My adult kids never use either.
The problem is that it costs businesses an extra fee to use credit cards and tipped employees then have to wait until payday to get their tips. I get that's not really your problem to worry about, just throwing it out there.

Nowadays here a kids allowance is piped straight into pre-paid cards via the internet or bank transfer. Teaches kids about plastic money. It's kinda fun - the cards are personalised with a custom picture and makes kids feel like a real Grown Up :)

I almost never carry cash. Some of the area school sporting events won't even take it. If you want to get in, you have to buy tickets via their app or website. We encountered the polar opposite this past weekend. We were at a travel tournament in Oklahoma and it was cash only. It was $40/pp and there were three of us. Even if I did carry cash, I never would routinely have that much cash on me. I had to leave DH and DD17 at the gate and drive about 15 minutes away to find a bank. The alternative was driving another 5 minutes to a CVS, but I would have had to make three separate purchases to get enough cash back to cover entry. So, paying the $4 ATM fee at this little town's local bank was the better option.
our sporting events at school only take cash. I am on the parent board for our Youth Football team, and we don't have anything set up to be able to do gate fees or concessions any other way. Not to mention that our team has no source of funding other than gate fees and concessions which pay for the refs for the games, all the equipment for the kids (helmet, pads, pants, jersey) It would cost us more to be able to accept cards and we just can't afford to lose a penny. Quite honestly, in the 3 years I've been doing this, we've never had anyone complain about not being able to use a card. I've never been to a single wrestling tournament in the 5 years my kids have been wrestling where you could use a card to pay to get in or at the concession stand.

I only know of one place that still works with hand money - my barbers. I pay with a card, but they can only accept tips in cash. Interestingly, CREDIT cards offer a LOT of protection here in the UK. If you are conned, it's THEIR responsibility and they MUST refund you, in full.

The problem is that it costs businesses an extra fee to use credit cards and tipped employees then have to wait until payday to get their tips. I get that's not really your problem to worry about, just throwing it out there.
There are significant costs/risks to a business when accepting cash, generally higher than those associated with accepting debit/credit.

As an example, since I don't carry cash, any business that is cash only because they think they are saving money by doing so, immediately loses me as a customer and loses any revenue they would have gained from me.

Other hidden costs of accepting cash are back office expenses. Someone spends time preparing cash drawers, balancing the drawer at every shift change, reconciling the drawer to the daily transaction record, and researching discrepancies. The person tasked with this is generally one of the highest paid employees.

Cash transactions are slower than debit/credit. Customers are generally unhappy with slow checkouts.

There are safety issues with transporting cash to and from the bank or a paid service can be used.

There is a risk of theft by employees and others.

Data has shown that people spend less when paying with cash vs debit/credit.

As a business owner I would price my product appropriately so it included any costs I had associated with running my business which includes cash handling costs, debit/credit costs, rent, salary, utilities, etc.

our sporting events at school only take cash. I am on the parent board for our Youth Football team, and we don't have anything set up to be able to do gate fees or concessions any other way. Not to mention that our team has no source of funding other than gate fees and concessions which pay for the refs for the games, all the equipment for the kids (helmet, pads, pants, jersey) It would cost us more to be able to accept cards and we just can't afford to lose a penny. Quite honestly, in the 3 years I've been doing this, we've never had anyone complain about not being able to use a card. I've never been to a single wrestling tournament in the 5 years my kids have been wrestling where you could use a card to pay to get in or at the concession stand.

I think it was 2021-2022 when all of this started to shift in our district. We had so many people complaining about needing cash. I don't think all sports offered it immediately, but as word got out that one sport was offering it, everyone wanted it. There's also usually a service fee or a minimum charge so that the school isn't losing any money by offering this convenience. The biggest winners were the school concession stands. I might see a person with cash get whatever they can with a $20, but a person with a card might drop twice that. Our schools also do several fundraisers which help fund the athletics department as well as specific teams.

Travel sports are an entirely different beast. When you've got people paying $40-70+ per person for multi-day tournament entry, having a credit option is really the way to go. With all of the people getting robbed these days at ATMs, I really don't like having to get a wad of cash for these events.

There are significant costs/risks to a business when accepting cash, generally higher than those associated with accepting debit/credit.

As an example, since I don't carry cash, any business that is cash only because they think they are saving money by doing so, immediately loses me as a customer and loses any revenue they would have gained from me.

Other hidden costs of accepting cash are back office expenses. Someone spends time preparing cash drawers, balancing the drawer at every shift change, reconciling the drawer to the daily transaction record, and researching discrepancies. The person tasked with this is generally one of the highest paid employees.

Cash transactions are slower than debit/credit. Customers are generally unhappy with slow checkouts.

There are safety issues with transporting cash to and from the bank or a paid service can be used.

As a business owner I would price my product appropriately so it included any costs I had associated with running my business which includes cash handling costs, debit/credit costs, rent, salary, utilities, etc.
I think I may have mentioned we have a great bakery here that is cash only. People from time to time try to tell the owner he is losing business by being cash only. He points out he is currently producing at the capacity of his bakery, and he sells out hours before his scheduled closing time so he can't handle any more business.
I think you grossly over estimate the time and effort involved in handling a cash drawer. I am hearing and seeing more and more businesses say they prefer cash (or check), so apparently their experience is cash is cheaper and easier for them.

A couple of years ago I only used card because everywhere in the world stopped accepting cash due to needing to make less contact but I love paying in cash especially when there's a problem with the register or something was input incorrectly and the person at the register is not able to do "change" math in their head.

It's not their fault, it's just the world they've grown up in, but it always makes me feel like a super hero when I see their reaction and how amazed they are when I can quickly figure out the change.

Around the same time I had pulled up to a traffic light and there was a vagrant asking for change and I said "I apologize but I don't keep any cash on me anymore because no one accepts it" and I swear on my life, this man looks at me and says "I have cash app".

I think I may have mentioned we have a great bakery here that is cash only. People from time to time try to tell the owner he is losing business by being cash only. He points out he is currently producing at the capacity of his bakery, and he sells out hours before his scheduled closing time so he can't handle any more business.
I think you grossly over estimate the time and effort involved in handling a cash drawer. I am hearing and seeing more and more businesses say they prefer cash (or check), so apparently their experience is cash is cheaper and easier for them.
There are always exceptions to the norm but they are not the average.

It sounds wacky to mention this, but I collect bank notes from all over the world and have just added a few modern Pound Notes to it, early runs - some of them are quite collectable in this modern day and age! And yes, I have Disney Dollars ;)

Plumbers, electricians, home repair type folks around here take credit cards.
I always ask whether they prefer a card or a check. Most of them want a check or cash here, including my lawn guy (the one check I write every month), but if they prefer a cc and it doesn’t cost me more to use it, I will use a card.

I use cash at the grocery and gas station. Most of the rest of my shopping I do online for either pickup or delivery, so it’s by card. When I travel, I take cash for tips and a small amount in case I run into a situation where cc either aren’t accepted or the system is down. I pay my monthly bills, other than the lawn guy, online. I think I have a pretty even match of items I pay by cc and things I pay by cash/check/direct bank payment. Most people in Florida keep a little extra cash around during hurricane season in case of emergency. You can’t use cc/contactless payments if the terminals have no power.

I generally only use card, but have about ~$300 in one through twenty dollar bills stashed away in different areas for emergencies (middle compartment of vehicles and spare tire compartments, behind the DL compartment in my wallet, in random purses and drawers in my home). I always like to be prepared; it's came in handy more than once.

There is a risk of theft by employees

i worked in several jobs where i was responsible for doing the daily accounting and reconciliations (and i was FAR from the highest paid employee). there's a risk of employee theft with any type of payment-with cash however it is the easiest to detect and far more quickly apparant. with credit and debit cards employee theft/embezzlement can take months into years to uncover.

I still use and keep cash; not a lot of it but enough in case the electronic(?) systems fall, I’ll be solvent for a week or so. I remember seeing firsthand the damage a hurricane did to the infrastructure of CT’s shore: no ATMs, no electronic registers in grocery stores, it was a mess and cash was king as usual.

i worked in several jobs where i was responsible for doing the daily accounting and reconciliations (and i was FAR from the highest paid employee). there's a risk of employee theft with any type of payment-with cash however it is the easiest to detect and far more quickly apparant. with credit and debit cards employee theft/embezzlement can take months into years to uncover.
According to the 2021 Census Bureau's Annual Business Survey 76% of small businesses have less than 20 employees.

In a business of that size the person doing the daily accounting and reconciliation is one of the highest paid employees. Likely the owner or manager.

An estimated 61.6 million Americans work for a small business.

As I said before there are always exceptions but on average in the long run cash has more expenses associated with it than debit/credit.

I don't disagree with you. I am just saying that it costs the business, and generally the customer as well, more for credit cards.
I think it was 2021-2022 when all of this started to shift in our district. We had so many people complaining about needing cash. I don't think all sports offered it immediately, but as word got out that one sport was offering it, everyone wanted it. There's also usually a service fee or a minimum charge so that the school isn't losing any money by offering this convenience. The biggest winners were the school concession stands. I might see a person with cash get whatever they can with a $20, but a person with a card might drop twice that. Our schools also do several fundraisers which help fund the athletics department as well as specific teams.

Travel sports are an entirely different beast. When you've got people paying $40-70+ per person for multi-day tournament entry, having a credit option is really the way to go. With all of the people getting robbed these days at ATMs, I really don't like having to get a wad of cash for these events.
I do believe the actual school booster club run concessions accept cards, but not at the gate for admission fees. Our youth stuff isn't associated with the school booster club, the games are just at the school. So we don't have the set up for one, to be able to accept cards, tho I am going to suggest a Venmo acct at the very least this year. I looked into it, and the terminal or whatever it's called alone is $150 for 1. And based on the sales we probably do, it would cost us about $150 in fees. And thats just being able to use it at the concession stand, not the 2 gate entrances. $300 is the cost of a helmet and pads for one kid. I just don't know that at a kids football game that we'd make enough extra by accepting cards to offset the fees. It also helps that the 6 teams in our league all predominately use cash, so the parents know what to expect.

Travel sports wise, we've only done wrestling, and you can pay with a card for your childs registration fee. But I've never been to a tournament where they have accepted cards for spectators admittance. With the exception of the State tournament where you have to buy tickets online ahead of time, its cash at the door. I love paying $50/per kid every weekend for my kids to wrestle 10 mins and then 5 bucks for both my husband and I to watch lol.

And of course all the cash used for tips at Disney trips. Between help at airports, bell service, etc.,at least $200 in small bills.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest