An open letter to Disney about mandatory room checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point it's been about 6 months since this policy went into place.

Outside of a few complaints here and there, there have not been complaints of CMs breaking down the doors (unlatching latch), sexual predators coming in to stare at the children or widespread theft due to this new policy.

Just like the dog policy, I think a lot of the fears people were initially having can/should be put to rest.
Will you be disturbed if you are in the room every afternoon, decline housekeeping? More than likely. Unfortunately you either just have to be prepared for it or stay elsewhere, that's really the end of that story.

Will there still be a one off, rogue CM who gets a little aggressive enforcing policy? Sure, just like with anything. But I think it's safe to say majority of visitors (thousands and thousands) throughout these 6 months went largely undisturbed.

I think the reason for not letting people pick a time for the check, or say when they don't want the check, is that if someone is planning something nefarious, then you don't want to give them time to hide whatever it is they are doing. I mean, if the cops wanted to come to my house and I had some guns or week to hide (which I don't for the record) then my saying Come Back Later and them going OK would make no sense whatsoever.

I'm honestly not sure how they can do room checks and not offend some guests. I don't think it is possible.

Good grief! If Disney were conducting room checks 24-hours a day, then perhaps your comment would have some merit. As the room checks only occur during regular business hours, give or take an hour or two, all of the bad people who wish to hide something "nefarious" simply need to wait until dark and then they can conduct their criminal activities without fear of interruption

Being awakened from the decidedly un-nefarious activity of afternoon napping doesn't offend me, it disturbs me.

Last edited:
Personally I will not answer the door if I'm getting dressed. I'd be beyond displeased if someone walked in on me while I'm only half dressed. I realize that I can use the door latch but I don't want to worry about always remembering something in order to protect myself from Disney employees! It's just weird.

Personally I will not answer the door if I'm getting dressed. I'd be beyond displeased if someone walked in on me while I'm only half dressed. I realize that I can use the door latch but I don't want to worry about always remembering something in order to protect myself from Disney employees! It's just weird.

Unfortunately if you don't use the latch you do risk someone walking in on you. So if that is the choice you want to make, be aware it may happen.

Unfortunately if you don't use the latch you do risk someone walking in on you. So if that is the choice you want to make, be aware it may happen.
Even with the latch they can still open the door a bit. Me getting dressed will still make me annoyed even with the latch as now I've got to say something like "hold on a minute", hope they heard me, scramble around to find my clothings and get dressed quickly. And it would be even worse..if you're uhm engaging in adult activity. At All-Star Sports the beds were right by the door, knocking and being interrupted then is uhm not a thought I even want to think about especially if they can still see something with the latch on.

Quite honestly I think for a lot of people it's the thought of whatever activity they are engaging in they now have to worry about interruption, however short or long it is it's still a worry of "ok so will they come now or later, if I tell them not to come between x and y time will they remember , if I tell them to come back will they. Oh now I've got to coordinate between so and so to make sure I use the latch while also allowing so and so to be able to come back, etc.

I know to some it just doesn't sound like a big enough deal but generally speaking (though not always) those people look at their vacation habits and not the myriad of other ways people travel.

Me getting dressed will still make me annoyed even with the latch as now I've got to say something like "hold on a minute", hope they heard me, scramble around to find my clothings and get dressed quickly.
Even on the off chance they don't hear you, there's still no report of CMs breaching the safety latch.
And it would be even worse..if you're uhm engaging in adult activity.
I
if there's any chance at all one might be engaging in adult activity during the hours somebody may try to access the room, test it yourself. Have the person in the room engage the latch, and the other outside to unlock the door. Look for yourself to see what's visible from that 2" or so. I'm relatively certain the bed away from the door won't be in the line of sight.

Even on the off chance they don't hear you, there's still no report of CMs breaching the safety latch.
Pretty sure I didn't say there was any reports..for pete's sake I'm not even allowed to say that someone could be concerned with someone seeing through the door gap?

if there's any chance at all one might be engaging in adult activity during the hours somebody may try to access the room, test it yourself. Have the person in the room engage the latch, and the other outside to unlock the door. Look for yourself to see what's visible from that 2" or so. I'm relatively certain the bed away from the door won't be in the line of sight.
You know if I said the sky was blue..you'd say no I think it's actually navy blue.

I think the reason for not letting people pick a time for the check, or say when they don't want the check, is that if someone is planning something nefarious, then you don't want to give them time to hide whatever it is they are doing. I mean, if the cops wanted to come to my house and I had some guns or week to hide (which I don't for the record) then my saying Come Back Later and them going OK would make no sense whatsoever.

I'm honestly not sure how they can do room checks and not offend some guests. I don't think it is possible.
You do realize that they schedule times for this in the rooms that people bring dogs to? They will not enter a room with a dog if the person is not there. So if I wanted to do something all I need to do is bring a dog to guard my stash until I get back. And yes, it is possible to do a one minute walk through around guests who request a few hours of down time.

You do realize that they schedule times for this in the rooms that people bring dogs to? They will not enter a room with a dog if the person is not there. So if I wanted to do something all I need to do is bring a dog to guard my stash until I get back. And yes, it is possible to do a one minute walk through around guests who request a few hours of down time.
I was thinking this same thing.

I

I don’t understand why it’s necessary to be dismissive of others’ concerns. I get it, you aren’t concerned. It’s not necessary to marginalize another’s annoyance with the room checks.

Pretty sure I didn't say there was any reports..for pete's sake I'm not even allowed to say that someone could be concerned with someone seeing through the door gap
Absolutely people can be concerned. It was a suggestion. See for yourself how much of the room is visible from that opening; try to engage in activities away from that area.

Another genuine suggestion: you might want to consider blocking me. I don't post to offend, but refuse to be responsible for what people infer
You know if I said the sky was blue..you'd say no I think it's actually navy blue.
Navy blue is still blue, so no. If someone asked why the sky appears blue, I'd willingly post the explanation.
So if I wanted to do something all I need to do is bring a dog to guard my stash until I get back.
Do you have to actually bring a dog? Does the CM checking you in need to see it? Or can you just say you have a dog with you? Granted, this would be effective only at the pet-friendly properties.
I don’t understand why it’s necessary to be dismissive of others’ concerns. I get it, you aren’t concerned. It’s not necessary to marginalize another’s annoyance with the room checks.
Again, the post you quoted contained suggestions.

Absolutely people can be concerned. It was a suggestion. See for yourself how much of the room is visible from that opening; try to engage in activities away from that area.

Another genuine suggestion: you might want to consider blocking me. I don't post to offend, but refuse to be responsible for what people infer

Navy blue is still blue, so no. If someone asked why the sky appears blue, I'd willingly post the explanation.

:rolleyes2

Do you have to actually bring a dog? Does the CM checking you in need to see it? Or can you just say you have a dog with you? Granted, this would be effective only at the pet-friendly properties.

Again, the post you quoted contained suggestions.

The problem, is that you offer no reasonable suggestions. Reasonable being the operative word. “Do adult things while you test out how the latch works! It’s not that bad!” That does nothing to contribute to the conversation in a meaningful way. When you vigorously defend Disney, it makes you seem like someone who is unreasonable, almost to the point where I’d begin to think that you’re some kind of Disney shill.

I think if you just...open your mind a little...you may realize why multiple people have responded negatively to your...dare I say...suspect defense of a new Disney policy.

The problem, is that you offer no reasonable suggestions. Reasonable being the operative word. “Do adult things while you test out how the latch works! It’s not that bad!” That does nothing to contribute to the conversation in a meaningful way. When you vigorously defend Disney, it makes you seem like someone who is unreasonable, almost to the point where I’d begin to think that you’re some kind of Disney shill.

I think if you just...open your mind a little...you may realize why multiple people have responded negatively to your...dare I say...suspect defense of a new Disney policy.

But there are no suggestions to give.
The only things you can do are to accept it's happening and deal best you can, or stay somewhere else.

Suggesting someone is a "Disney shill" is hardly meaningful conversation, by the way.

In all honesty, besides complaining and commiserating with one another, what else do you hope to accomplish? If it's just to have a place to come together to complain, totally get it.

If it's just to have a place to come together to complain, totally get it.
I'm not trying to solve the world's problems here. I was simply providing some understanding of others feelings and empathizing with them. Some things are because they are in line with my traveling habits and others are because I can understand how they may affect someone else's traveling habits.

I am not at all sure that there are any reasonable suggestions when it comes to making people comfortable with a situation that tey are simply not comfortable with. I have tried to be helpful too, but I am not at all sure my suggestions will make any difference because this policy does not seem to have any consistancey other than someone will enter a room at some point during the day.

@kaytieeldr is not a Disney Shill, no matter some would believe it to be so. She is just trying to make the best of this situation for people who want to stay onsite but have deep reservations about the policy. No matter what any of us do or say, this policy is in effect, so complaining here may be the only way folks can channel their anxiety. I personally am fine with the discussion, and I will continue to try to help other see the bright side.

If people have a negative experience once they arrive, I hope that some of what we all have stated also makes a difference in how folks handle it. I am also of the opinion that Disney has chosen the least expensive method of implementing this policy, and feel strongly that if they really want to inspect rooms daily outside of housekeeping, they need to pay and train security people to do so. By relying on housekeepers to add this into their daily work load is adding to the stress, they are already overworked so it is not hard to imagine why they are banging on doors when it is convenient for them, rather than for the guest. Add throwing in the odd maintenance person and you have upped the ante for chaos to ensue. This policy was not thought out before it ws rolled out. Frankly, I think that one way to at least make this policy a little more palatable for guests is to remove housekeeping staff form the rooms that have opted out. There is a reason for that, so I feel it should be respected. I would ask at the desk to have a security person inspect the room and make sure they know that I am in that room at a specific time.

I am not at all sure that there are any reasonable suggestions when it comes to making people comfortable with a situation that tey are simply not comfortable with. I have tried to be helpful too, but I am not at all sure my suggestions will make any difference because this policy does not seem to have any consistancey other than someone will enter a room at some point during the day.

@kaytieeldr is not a Disney Shill, no matter some would believe it to be so. She is just trying to make the best of this situation for people who want to stay onsite but have deep reservations about the policy. No matter what any of us do or say, this policy is in effect, so complaining here may be the only way folks can channel their anxiety. I personally am fine with the discussion, and I will continue to try to help other see the bright side.

If people have a negative experience once they arrive, I hope that some of what we all have stated also makes a difference in how folks handle it. I am also of the opinion that Disney has chosen the least expensive method of implementing this policy, and feel strongly that if they really want to inspect rooms daily outside of housekeeping, they need to pay and train security people to do so. By relying on housekeepers to add this into their daily work load is adding to the stress, they are already overworked so it is not hard to imagine why they are banging on doors when it is convenient for them, rather than for the guest. Add throwing in the odd maintenance person and you have upped the ante for chaos to ensue. This policy was not thought out before it ws rolled out. Frankly, I think that one way to at least make this policy a little more palatable for guests is to remove housekeeping staff form the rooms that have opted out. There is a reason for that, so I feel it should be respected. I would ask at the desk to have a security person inspect the room and make sure they know that I am in that room at a specific time.

Last summer we stayed at Pop for two weeks and opted out of housekeeping. This was before the mandatory room checks. Everyday I called housekeeping for something we needed, toilet paper, fresh towels, a change of sheet, tissue paper, etc.... I felt terrible that I was calling all the time. But that’s what they told us to do any time we needed something, and everytime I called they were so cheerful and helpful. They were at my room in minutes with whatever I needed.

We would like to opt out of housekeeping again. So my plan going forward is to call housekeeping each day and request something. I’ll do this when I know I’m in the room, but nobody is in bed or getting dressed, on my terms. I’m hoping that will count as my daily room check.

It’s not going to change the policy, but I’m hoping that it will alleviate the stress associated with thinking/wondering when someone will be coming.

I wonder if others are already trying this? I don’t recall hearing anybody doing this as a strategy, but maybe I’ve missed it.

Last summer we stayed at Pop for two weeks and opted out of housekeeping. This was before the mandatory room checks. Everyday I called housekeeping for something we needed, toilet paper, fresh towels, a change of sheet, tissue paper, etc.... I felt terrible that I was calling all the time. But that’s what they told us to do any time we needed something, and everytime I called they were so cheerful and helpful. They were at my room in minutes with whatever I needed.

We would like to opt out of housekeeping again. So my plan going forward is to call housekeeping each day and request something. I’ll do this when I know I’m in the room, but nobody is in bed or getting dressed, on my terms. I’m hoping that will count as my daily room check.

It’s not going to change the policy, but I’m hoping that it will alleviate the stress associated with thinking/wondering when someone will be coming.

I wonder if others are already trying this? I don’t recall hearing anybody doing this as a strategy, but maybe I’ve missed it.

It is worth a shot, however I am not sure that it will be the answer. Let us know how it works.

The problem, is that you offer no reasonable suggestions. Reasonable being the operative word. “Do adult things while you test out how the latch works! It’s not that bad!” That does nothing to contribute to the conversation in a meaningful way.

That suggestion was only unreasonable because you changed it to fit your argument. The post didn't suggest testing out the door latch while doing adult things. It suggested that you have someone in your room engage the door latch, while you try to open the door to see what is visible when the door is opened while the latch is engaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter