An open letter to Disney about mandatory room checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me this has gotten a little bit blown out of proportion. We were at Disney in April with daily room checks. We asked them not to come in early morning, they came in mid afternoon every day while we were out took the trash, we never saw them and it caused us no bother.

mostly it is housekeeping. housekeeping have always been in the rooms every day I don't see what the big issue is.

Last edited:
Could you be more condescending? This is why people hate discussion boards, and why this thread should have been closed weeks ago. The fact that you accuse others of being condescending and dismissive is ridiculous. No one has suggested that you not complain about the policy, merely suggested that the frontline CMs who are doing the room checks or housekeeping may not be in the best position to change the policy. But hey, why not make sure they know how you feel as they empty your trash and go on to the next 10 rooms.

I'm not being condescending by calling out flaws in logic that shouldn't be propagated as fact. If the poster I was replying to took my objection to false statements personally, that wasn't my intention. The poster in question was dismissing the concerns of others. They also gave a flippant snarky comment on someone else's need to object to the policy. Holding them accountable for their words is in no way condescending, if they didn't want to be held to them, shouldn't have posted them. The notion that frontline CMs are completely powerless and will not escalate your concerns is wrong, but more importantly (and this is the point everyone, including yourself, conveniently overlooks because they don't have an answer), nobody should feel like their objections aren't worth voicing and that they should just not bother. If someone has a problem with the policy, they're within right and reason to voice that concern when they're disturbed, not later, not in an email or a letter or some other method, they're entitled and should voice their concern right there. Nobody is saying not to follow up later, but there is no harm is mentioning it to the CM, and they shouldn't be talked down to for doing so. I honestly can't fathom why anyone would have a problem with that. That's all I've got to say on the topic, to those that wish to express your concern in whatever way you feel comfortable, while being polite and respectful, please feel free to do so and don't let these posters get down on you.

Matt

488539 said:
I've got a high-stress job too, and I suppose my decision was not to stress about this policy, because in the grand scheme of things there are too many things to worry about in this world. If they knock on the door and I tell them I'm busy, or if I'm asleep/showering and the deadbolt/chain is engaged, they'll come back later and it doesn't have to be so distressing. Perhaps, because I don't see it as distressing, I'm not on the same page as the (many) people on these boards for whom it does cause a great deal of concern and stress. Looking at it differently, I realize that it's a big deal for some people... maybe enough that it creates second thoughts about how pleasant their hotel stay will be. Some here don't want even that first knock on the door to interrupt a hard-won moment of calm. This new policy does take away the ability to rely on truly being undisturbed. I can see how it could be unsettling.

Many of us probably have high stress jobs. All of us are paying a lot of money for our Disney vacations. I, too, choose to stay even-tempered and ignore rude guests, long lines, heat, minor irritations, crabby people, etc. when I am at Disney because, well, I'm on vacation and there are more important things to worry about.

I'm a small, 59-year-old adult and I push a manual wheelchair carrying a person who is larger than I. We rope drop, it's hot in the summer. I come back to the resort to SLEEP in the afternoons. I use a whiteout app to block extraneous noise. When that knock comes, I am no longer asleep. It's impossible to ignore because the knock will be repeated, the door will be opened, and probably slammed shut. I am awake now and I will not be able to fall back to sleep. I could get out of bed and politely ask the person to return in two hours, but I would be awake then, too, and still unable to fall back to sleep. Losing the nap I need also ruins the rest of my day because I don't get to refresh.

So yes, this causes me a great deal of concern because when my "style" of vacationing is disrupted with NO consideration of my needs, it will neither be magical nor the good customer service I have come to expect and value from DIsney. I am not comfortable with anyone, especially an unknown man, entering my room when I am sleeping, showering, in my pajamas, or getting dressed! God forbid I forget to put on the security lock! "Unsettling" is a euphemism and an understatement. If this happens to me and my daughter, I will escalate up the chain of command (which, in business, is the proper way to proceed), and I will violate the chain of command by also connecting with supervisors and managers.

It seems to me this has gotten a little bit blown out of proportion. We were at Disney in April with daily room checks. We asked them not to come in wary morning, they came in mid afternoon every day while we were out took the trash, we never saw them and it caused us no bother.

mostly it is housekeeping. housekeeping have always been in the rooms every day I don't see what the big issue is.

Then you've missed the point.

Many folks are simply used to having the option of declining housekeeping through the use of DND signs. That's no longer an option at Disney hotels. That's why people are upset. Literally many hundreds, likely thousands of dollars spent on lodging at Disney for each party, and now there's zero expectation of privacy for those that want it.

So you say that "housekeeping have always been in the rooms every day I don't see what the big issue is." That's literally not true for many many people. It's true for you, but not true for a not-insignificant number of people.

So you may think "so what, coast2coastmickey, it's not your property, the owner has a right to enter." And I'd agree with you 100%. But, there's a difference between exercising that right every single day no matter what, and exercising that right when truly necessary. Those of us who are upset truly believe that exercising the right to enter EVERY SINGLE DAY is excessive when we've given no indication to the property owner that we aim to do anything wrong.

I agree. And to call the new room check policy at least for DVC stays “daily trash removal” is both disingenuous and untrue as the trash is not always removed from all trashcans or even at all. I was just fine with trash removal every 4th day during DVC stays prior to the policy.

At the dolphin this past January I declined housekeeping and the housekeeper bent over backwards to accommodate me when I noticed her out in the hallway and told her I wanted to give her the little bags of trash from my cans. She could not have been nicer. All the towels, bottled waters and coffee supply refills I could possibly use for an entire week. She was pleasant, it left me happy and feeling well treated, and I tipped her well. I was only there for 3 nights so I declined housekeeping to get SPG points. The linens in that room were a pleasure to sleep on and the design of the perfectly weighted comforter inside a glorious duvet cover made making the king bed a 15 second or less undertaking. When I called for a new remote (mistakingly thought I lost mine), a maintenance guy came immediately. No knock, even though he was there upon my request. I happened to open the door after he showed up, and there he was. He apologized for keeping me waiting but said they were not allowed to knock. That whole 3 day stay left a great impression on me. I made another reservation on points same time next year as soon as the 350 day window opened. Love the SPG point program, the AAA discount and great food options at some of the restaurants, the Cabana pool bar. The upgraded room with fireworks view from the balcony clinched the deal. It was my 4th or 5th stay there, will not be the last. It was very different than my experience at BWV 3 days later.

Then you've missed the point.

Many folks are simply used to having the option of declining housekeeping through the use of DND signs. That's no longer an option at Disney hotels. That's why people are upset. Literally many hundreds, likely thousands of dollars spent on lodging at Disney for each party, and now there's zero expectation of privacy for those that want it.

So you say that "housekeeping have always been in the rooms every day I don't see what the big issue is." That's literally not true for many many people. It's true for you, but not true for a not-insignificant number of people.

So you may think "so what, coast2coastmickey, it's not your property, the owner has a right to enter." And I'd agree with you 100%. But, there's a difference between exercising that right every single day no matter what, and exercising that right when truly necessary. Those of us who are upset truly believe that exercising the right to enter EVERY SINGLE DAY is excessive when we've given no indication to the property owner that we aim to do anything wrong.

Last edited:
I agree. And to call the new room check policy at least for DVC stays “daily trash removal” is both disingenuous and untrue as the trash is not always removed from all trashcans or even at all. I was just fine with trash removal every 4th day during DVC stays prior to the policy.

At the dolphin this past January I declined housekeeping and the housekeeper bent over backwards to accommodate me when I noticed her out in the hallway and told her I wanted to give her the little bags of trash from my cans. She could not have been nicer. All the towels, bottled waters and coffee supply refills I could possibly use for an entire week. She was pleasant, it left me happy and feeling well treated, and I tipped her well. I was only there for 3 nights so I declined housekeeping to get SPG points. The glorious linens in that room were a pleasure to sleep on and the design of the perfectly weighted comforter inside a glorious duvet cover made making the king bed a 15 second or less undertaking. When I called for a new remote (mistakingly thought I lost mine), a maintenance guy came immediately. No knock, even though he was there upon my request. I happened to open the door after he showed up, and there he was. He apologized for keeping me waiting but said they were not allowed to knock. That whole 3 day stay left a great impression on me. I made another reservation on points same time next year as soon as the 350 day window opened. Love the SPG point program, the AAA discount and great food options at some of the restaurants, the Cabana pool bar. The upgraded room with fireworks view from the balcony clinched the deal. It was 4th or 5th stay there, will not be the last. It was very different than my experience at BWV 3 days later.

That sounds great, Snappy! I am going to check into staying at the Dolphin or Swan next visit. I'm curious, is there a big different between the 2 for you?
Being treated like a valued guest sounds wonderful! I did not care for the treatment while staying onsite this past March, so am looking at alternatives. Thanks for the info.

to call the new room check policy at least for DVC stays “daily trash removal” is both disingenuous and untrue as the trash is not always removed from all trashcans or even at all. I was just fine with trash removal every 4th day during DVC stays prior to the policy.

Just wanted to comment as we've just returned from a DVC stay. On all days but one the trash and recycling was removed from each can while we were absent from the room. On the one different day someone knocked while I was in the room finishing up laundry. He said "I'm here for the trash" and proceeded to only empty one can. I think my presence made him uncomfortable or something. But at any rate, that was a long story to basically agree with you. If you say you are here for the trash...get the trash...all the trash. And that ended up being my only minor problem with the practice. Thankfully we experienced no early knocks or "attempted barge-ins" during our stay. But I will say that just because 90%+ of people end up having no issues with the policy still doesn't make it a good, well thought out, or well-executed policy.

I’m not a fan of the new policy as someone who always refused housekeeping in the past. I’m not angry about it though and will adapt as needed. I don’t think the ability to just adapt to what one perceives to be a minor nuisance is a terrible trait at all.

I booked a room for Harrah’s Cherokee in North Carolina for next month. Their room check policy appears in the terms and conditions and mentions that you could be asked to leave the premises if you refuse entry for the check.

I only stayed at the swan once for a week early December, after the room upgrades. It was fine. My experience has been that I have had better views and upgrades at the Dolphin. There was live music in the dolphin lobby in January, and I love the nightly dancing lights by the palm trees at the Dolphin. My views have allowed for seeing both EPCOT and Hollywood studios fireworks, depends on the room. The front desk had been very accommodating for requests. The dolphin has more rooms so it’s busier. That doesn’t bother me. Fewer points were required to book the Dolphin vs the Swan starter room, up until March 2018. I like that if you stay 5 nights on points, the 5th night is free. I have also booked cash and points but that rate seems to have gotten more rare. I used to use my Disney visa rewards card for most cc purchases, I now mainly use my SPG AMEX card. I spend enough to earn gold status. That might help with upgrades, not sure. There is a resort fee but I feel the amenities are worth it for me. Swandolphin are as convenient for me as BWV and BCV. Renovated rooms are superior. I don’t require the “whimsy” of themed rooms at Disney resorts, I receive enough of that at the parks, and the Disney renovations are more generic now anyway. I like being on Crescent lake for the price of a moderate. My daughter prefers staying at BWV. I am content to walk over from swandolphin and get that vibe.

That sounds great, Snappy! I am going to check into staying at the Dolphin or Swan next visit. I'm curious, is there a big different between the 2 for you?
Being treated like a valued guest sounds wonderful! I did not care for the treatment while staying onsite this past March, so am looking at alternatives. Thanks for the info.

As a DVC member, I'd personally love the daily trash removal visits, but I can see why others would not want their privacy interrupted. We give up a lot in the name of safety and security sometimes. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out going forward.

My take on the whole thing is, if Disney wants to enter the room, that's fine, unless I have the Room Occupied (which should still be Do Not Disturb IMO) up on the door. Those signs are the only way to indicated to someone that we are using the room and need some privacy. My granddaughter was woke up from her nap 3 times the week we were there in March. We had told the front desk and housekeeping that those were the only 3 hours we needed to be left alone. When we are there without my granddaughter, we are usually in the parks all day, but I should have the right to nap at 2:00 pm without having someone knock on the door to peek inside. Let me rephrase, because someone may take 'a right' to mean that I think I am allowed by law. I should have the expectation that as a 'guest' who has paid to stay at Disney World, which is supposed to be one of the most customer centered places to visit (and I feel they used to be) that I would be allowed to block out a couple of hours for a nap or to put up a sign every so often and not be woke up by employees.

Some people on this thread would sound totally different if they were doing their check every night at 10:00 pm or conducting nightly fire drills. Then everyone who is not being affected would have a taste of what some others are feeling. I did not say anything to the people who came to the room, but I did send an email to the big wigs and received a phone call. I explained to Anne who called me back how unhappy I was with this and that I thought it was crazy that people who have dogs will not have their room entered if the sign is up. She said those guest have to schedule a visit. I told her that would be better than being woke from a nap. I told her I had communicated to the front desk and housekeeping and she told me I should not have been disturbed. I am returning in July, but staying club level, so probably will not have the same issues, but if I do, I will be calling Anne every time. When I return over Christmas, I will be back at a value resort and expect to be harassed again but will not have my granddaughter, so not as big a deal to me. I do think Disney is on a dangerous path of declining customer service and it makes me sad.

We do not want to stop visiting Disney (yet) but we also don't want to feel that we are no longer valued as a customer. As I told Anne, Disney knows who the repeat visitors are. They could be granted, in the very least, a little bit of courtesy when decisions are made that affect their vacations.

I'm not being condescending by calling out flaws in logic that shouldn't be propagated as fact. If the poster I was replying to took my objection to false statements personally, that wasn't my intention. The poster in question was dismissing the concerns of others. They also gave a flippant snarky comment on someone else's need to object to the policy. Holding them accountable for their words is in no way condescending, if they didn't want to be held to them, shouldn't have posted them. The notion that frontline CMs are completely powerless and will not escalate your concerns is wrong, but more importantly (and this is the point everyone, including yourself, conveniently overlooks because they don't have an answer), nobody should feel like their objections aren't worth voicing and that they should just not bother. If someone has a problem with the policy, they're within right and reason to voice that concern when they're disturbed, not later, not in an email or a letter or some other method, they're entitled and should voice their concern right there. Nobody is saying not to follow up later, but there is no harm is mentioning it to the CM, and they shouldn't be talked down to for doing so. I honestly can't fathom why anyone would have a problem with that. That's all I've got to say on the topic, to those that wish to express your concern in whatever way you feel comfortable, while being polite and respectful, please feel free to do so and don't let these posters get down on you.

Matt

Voicing your concerns to the CM at your door is basically venting. It won't do anything to solve the problem. So if that is all a guest wants to do, that is fine. If they want to do something to bring their problem with the room check to someone with some power over it, then talking to the CM at your door does nothing. The CMs at your door are doing what they are told and have no authority to fix the problem.

Just like venting here is what a lot of us do. And that too is fine. But if we have a severe problem with any issue taking it further is what we need to do.

I am not as articulate as @bryanb but I am going to try. Jen1955, you are passionate about how you feeel in regards to this policy, and you are right: it is invasive for you. You can discuss the reasons here, and add to the various conversations taking place throughout the thread, or you can shut the conversation down by using an insult to drive your point home. I prefer to share my thoughts without trying to diminish opposing opinions by suggesting those folks have half a brain, because you see, I also have some strong feelings about thei policy, however they do not mirror yours.

As it stands now, I am not at all worried about the policy, however by participating in the discussion I have learned of some instances that have me a little concerned becuase we have a young lady traveling with us who holds my heart in her hand. WE will also have two LEO's with us, both who work primarily alone in a pretty isolated area, so their reflexes are on edge constantly. The conversation gave me some ideas how to avoid potential problems, and I think I have shared how I would handle intrusions that were inappropriate. Had those of us who have strong opinions one either side fo thsi conversation chosen to insult others, the thread woudl have been shut down pages and pages ago.

I guess I was a little shocked to see someone insulting other people's intelligence because they have opposing viewpoints, or because they simply are fine with a situation that you find abhorrent.

I realize that such a phrase was inappropriate and apologize to anyone who was offended. I was speaking out of incredible frustration and concern that any corporation or government can now say "it is for your safety" and do whatever they want, despite having no evidence that it increases safety and, in fact, is far more likely to contribute to a lack of safety (explained very accurately by Ninja Mom). I am a scientist by training, and I believe in evidence informing decisions that affect a lot of people. In this case there is no evidence that this policy increases safety. It doesn't have face validity.

My comment is not about whether people are fine with the policy, and have said repeatedly that I am more than fine with anyone who doesn't care. My issue is twofold: 1) people telling those who do care that they are overreacting and 2) people saying that this policy makes people safer without any evidence that it is true. Again, I will say for the 3rd time: I am fine with anyone who doesn't have a problem. I am not fine with people who are telling the rest of us that we should put up and shut up. That I am not ok with.

I realize that such a phrase was inappropriate and apologize to anyone who was offended. I was speaking out of incredible frustration and concern that any corporation or government can now say "it is for your safety" and do whatever they want, despite having no evidence that it increases safety and, in fact, is far more likely to contribute to a lack of safety (explained very accurately by Ninja Mom). I am a scientist by training, and I believe in evidence informing decisions that affect a lot of people. In this case there is no evidence that this policy increases safety. It doesn't have face validity.

My comment is not about whether people are fine with the policy, and have said repeatedly that I am more than fine with anyone who doesn't care. My issue is twofold: 1) people telling those who do care that they are overreacting and 2) people saying that this policy makes people safer without any evidence that it is true. Again, I will say for the 3rd time: I am fine with anyone who doesn't have a problem. I am not fine with people who are telling the rest of us that we should put up and shut up. That I am not ok with.

Why care what other people think or say at all? Just have your opinion on the matter and deal with it your way.

and now there's zero expectation of privacy for those that want it.
There should never have been an expectation of privacy, given the 'enter any room any time' in the T&C.
So you may think "so what, coast2coastmickey, it's not your property, the owner has a right to enter." And I'd agree with you 100%. But, there's a difference between exercising that right every single day no matter what, and exercising that right when truly necessary
The business has decided that daily entry is necessary, whether the room occupants agree or not. Only option is to not stay in a hotel where one doesn't agree with the terms and conditions.
I agree. And to call the new room check policy at least for DVC stays “daily trash removal” is both disingenuous and untrue as the trash is not always removed from all trashcans or even at all. I was just fine with trash removal every 4th day during DVC stays prior to the policy
Failure to complete an expected duty probably should be addressed with the resort. Absolute/only guessing, he probably felt awkward, or even discombobulated, on encountering a guest on the room
My take on the whole thing is, if Disney wants to enter the room, that's fine, unless I have the Room Occupied (which should still be Do Not Disturb IMO) up on the door. Those signs are the only way to indicated to someone that we are using the room and need some privacy.
It's really clear that many visitors want the Do Not Disturb signs back. It appears Disney has no plans to return them to use, and Room Occupied does not and should not be interpreted to, imply DND or privacy.
voicing your concerns to the CM at your door is basically venting. It won't do anything to solve the problem. So if that is all a guest wants to do, that is fine
Still, be polite and respectful. This person had no input on the change.
They can come in any time. I hope they are prepared to see a crusty old guys skivvies and other personal items strewn about.
:confused3 Is the guy old and crusty? Or are the skivvies? Or is the guy old and the skivvies crusty? Or is the guy crusty and the skivvies old?
I don’t plan on straightening up anything up for the daily “room check” either. If they can’t work around my schedule they can just work around my stuff.
Even more :confused3 Where is it stated or implied that the guests has to have everything neat?

I was speaking out of incredible frustration and concern that any corporation or government can now say "it is for your safety" and do whatever they want
Corporation, yes, within the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter