• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

An open letter to Disney about mandatory room checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get it. You don't like what I post. The sarcasm truly isn't necessary. Again, seriously, please block me.

The problem, is that you offer no reasonable suggestions.
I actually did, several weeks ago - so, different thread - several times. I suggested this https://smile.amazon.com/Master-Loc...1526921989&sr=8-3&keywords=security+door+stop removable door stop and was told Disney wouldn't allow it (although, not why.) Others recommended something like this https://smile.amazon.com/AUSHEN-Sha...r=8-2-spons&keywords=security+door+stop&psc=1, but few, if any, responders seemed interested.

The problem, is that you offer no reasonable suggestions. Reasonable being the operative word. “Do adult things while you test out how the latch works! It’s not that bad!”
I did not say that. I didn't even imply it. I would expect most WDW visitors engaging in adult activities are parties of two at the time (but of course I can be wrong.) One person of the two would stay in the room and engage the latch. The other person would open the security-latched door and determine how much of the room is visible from that small opening.

Nobody would actually be engaged in adult activity during that check.

If none of either bed is visible, or only the upper right corner of the closest bed is visible, there shouldn't be much concern that any CM would see such activity, especially if the bed away from the door is utilized. If part of the second bed can be seen, that's a much bigger issue.

See for yourself how much of the room is visible from that opening; try to engage in activities away from that area.
Okay, I will rephrase: Check for yourself how much of the room is visible from that opening. Then you can try to engage in activities away from that area.

When you vigorously defend Disney
To the best of my recollection, I have never defended Disney on this. Citing the room rental T&C is simply that - reiterating what is in the contract (ditto for when people have issues with 'all your room contract guarantees is a room, not necessarily at the level you booked' ,or 'your airline reservation only provides transportation from the originating airport to the destination airport on a given date'). I don't believe I've ever said people who are concerned shouldn't be.

To the best of my recollection, I have never defended Disney on this. Citing the room rental T&C is simply that - reiterating what is in the contract (ditto for when people have issues with 'all your room contract guarantees is a room, not necessarily at the level you booked' ,or 'your airline reservation only provides transportation from the originating airport to the destination airport on a given date'). I don't believe I've ever said people who are concerned shouldn't be.

I have found on many threads that if you can explain the policy, you are accused of defending it. I'm not a fan of this policy either. But I know if I stay at a Disney resort I will have to deal with it. And to me dealing with it does not mean: blocking the door from opening, yelling at the CM doing the room check, or trying to ignore the CM who wants to do the room check.

If you hate the policy and it will ruin your vacation, then you need to stay elsewhere. Which is a shame, but that is the reality as of now.

Well...fair enough. I'll agree that I molded my summary of what you said and turned it into a little bit of fake news, but at the end of the day, the sentiment is the same for me. I understand the policy, but don't agree with it in any way shape or form (although I did open the discussion with my wife about possibly changing our mindset about forgoing housekeeping...she shot that down for various reasons).

We're planning our next trip (wife wants to go in September), and the closest we'll get will be at the Swan or Dolphin plus Ubers, or off-site plus rental cars. It's a bummer because we've recently increased our incomes to the point where we can easily afford the super-fancy-club-level deluxe experience, while still putting a ton away for retirement and home payoff, but unless they backtrack on the room-check changes, we'll continue looking at other options. Not ready to say good-bye to Disney completely though.

Well...fair enough. I'll agree that I molded my summary of what you said and turned it into a little bit of fake news, but at the end of the day, the sentiment is the same for me. I understand the policy, but don't agree with it in any way shape or form (although I did open the discussion with my wife about possibly changing our mindset about forgoing housekeeping...she shot that down for various reasons).

We're planning our next trip (wife wants to go in September), and the closest we'll get will be at the Swan or Dolphin plus Ubers, or off-site plus rental cars. It's a bummer because we've recently increased our incomes to the point where we can easily afford the super-fancy-club-level deluxe experience, while still putting a ton away for retirement and home payoff, but unless they backtrack on the room-check changes, we'll continue looking at other options. Not ready to say good-bye to Disney completely though.
I think that there are times when you just cry Uncle and have to walk away. It is a shame really, but unless you can find a way to be able to accept the policy change there is no way to be able to truly relax in your room. While I am pretty sure that your decision to stay elsewhere is not in the majority, I bet that your reasons have plenty of company.

I think that there are times when you just cry Uncle and have to walk away. It is a shame really, but unless you can find a way to be able to accept the policy change there is no way to be able to truly relax in your room. While I am pretty sure that your decision to stay elsewhere is not in the majority, I bet that your reasons have plenty of company.

Yep, that was her biggest gripe: having someone we don't know unsupervised around our stuff. With the room-check policy, there's no way to avoid this. And without the ability to 100% relax (in our opinion), it's not a vacation.

With a little girl though...Disney isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so we'll certainly make do. The wife is now saying she'd rather do Disneyland and beach days in Southern California rather than Florida humidity, so all this may be a moot point for us.

I've decided I'm going to bring scotch tape to attach a printed half sheet of paper to the door. It will be be typed and say something to the effect of,

"I am sleeping today June ___ at ___ o'clock. Do Not Knock!
Please return after _____ when I will be awake and dressed."

I'll bring enough copies for each afternoon I plan to return to my room to rest!

Last edited:
I've decided I'm going to bring scotch tape to attach a printed half sheet of paper to the door. It will be be typed and say something to the effect of,

I'll bring enough copies for each afternoon I plan to return to my room to rest!

It won't do any good. People have reported making their own signs, and they are ignored. Plus, be prepared to be charged if your tape pulls any paint off of the door.

Don't be surprised when they knock anyway.
It won't do any good. People have reported making their own signs, and they are ignored. Plus, be prepared to be charged if your tape pulls any paint off of the door.

Then I'll make a visit to the front desk to speak with the manager. I'll ask why a simple request to allow a guest to nap in the afternoon after pushing a wheelchair in the heat was too difficult for Disney's customer service to oblige.. I'll ask what safety code was violated by allowing me to sleep undisturbed. I'll ask why their need to inspect my room at the exact time of my nap was more important than my undisturbed use of my room.

I'm sure Disney charges people all of the time for stains and damages to room (not.) Why would you assume that I would damage the door? Have I implied that I'm careless or ignorant? Are you concerned that I might spill a cup of coffee in the hotel room?

Then I'll make a visit to the front desk to speak with the manager.

:thumbsup2

I'll ask why a simple request to allow a guest to nap in the afternoon after pushing a wheelchair in the heat was too difficult for Disney's customer service to oblige.. I'll ask what safety code was violated by allowing me to sleep undisturbed. I'll ask why their need to inspect my room at the exact time of my nap was more important than my undisturbed use of my room.

Hopefully you get a better answer than my cousin did when she asked these same questions. "No violations Ma'am. We're exercising our right to inspect the room daily to ensure your safety and enjoyment."

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

:thumbsup2
Hopefully you get a better answer than my cousin did when she asked these same questions. "No violations Ma'am. We're exercising our right to inspect the room daily to ensure your safety and enjoyment."

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Yep, that may be exactly what happens and I'll join your cousin and others who've failed -- then I'll take my next step up the chain of command. I have no illusions that I'm powerful enough to effect change, but darn it, I'm going to do my level best to protect my nap!

Yep, that may be exactly what happens and I'll join your cousin and others who've failed -- then I'll take my next step up the chain of command. I have no illusions that I'm powerful enough to effect change, but darn it, I'm going to do my level best to protect my nap!

You can also vote with your wallet! Stay off-site! It's what we're going to do.

Don't be surprised when they knock anyway.

Then I'll make a visit to the front desk to speak with the manager. I'll ask why a simple request to allow a guest to nap in the afternoon after pushing a wheelchair in the heat was too difficult for Disney's customer service to oblige.. I'll ask what safety code was violated by allowing me to sleep undisturbed. I'll ask why their need to inspect my room at the exact time of my nap was more important than my undisturbed use of my room.

I'm sure Disney charges people all of the time for stains and damages to room (not.) Why would you assume that I would damage the door? Have I implied that I'm careless or ignorant? Are you concerned that I might spill a cup of coffee in the hotel room?

MAJOR OBSERVATION:

The right of entry may be theirs but their business model is, in a major part, creating magical vacations. So, at what point did their business model change when Disney apparently decided their right to access guest rooms was at Disney's convenience instead of the guests they are serving?

This policy kills the magic when people have to be concerned about taking something as simple as a nap in their room.

(I'm adding an edit to my first post to share this right at the beginning of this thread.)

As I want to protect my afternoon baths! Sure I can put the latch on the door but from what I understand they often just keep on knocking. What if I don't come to the door?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter