All about the Autotrain

Hi. We have the following reservation:

2*AAA Adult*(Discount) $183.60
1*Bedroom $889.00
1 Vehicle $186.00

Total $1,258.60

Could someone please let me know how much of that we get back if we cancel? Thanks!

If you did not have actual tickets issued, you should get the full amount back. If you did have tickets issued you will loose a percentage. See amtrak website for the actual policy.

Hi. We have the following reservation:

2*AAA Adult*(Discount) $183.60
1*Bedroom $889.00
1 Vehicle $186.00

Total $1,258.60

Could someone please let me know how much of that we get back if we cancel? Thanks!
It depends on what type of booking you made, there are 3 different categories, do you know which one you selected?
http://www.amtrak.com/guide-to-fares

It depends on what type of booking you made, there are 3 different categories, do you know which one you selected?
http://www.amtrak.com/guide-to-fares
"Premium"
So it says:
Refundable — Rooms: 10% fee charged if canceled 15 or more days prior to departure. No refunds if less than 15 days prior to departure.
Refundable — Seats: Full value if canceled before departure; 10% fee after departure.
eVoucher available — Rooms: Full value if canceled before departure. eVoucher not available after departure.
eVoucher available — Seats: Full value, no fees.
What does "eVoucher available" mean? I don't see anything about that on my confirmation so I guess it doesn't apply to us.

So if I am correct we get back all but $88.90. Is that correct?

I wanted to ask, should we bring travel pillows? we do not have any and I'm trying to make sure I have what we need ;) also I think I'll bring a few small throws to use as blankets?

"Premium"
So it says:What does "eVoucher available" mean? I don't see anything about that on my confirmation so I guess it doesn't apply to us.

So if I am correct we get back all but $88.90. Is that correct?
I would just call and ask ;)

I wanted to ask, should we bring travel pillows? we do not have any and I'm trying to make sure I have what we need ;) also I think I'll bring a few small throws to use as blankets?
The one time we went coach we brought/bought pillows. It helped but it wasn't quite enough for us to ever do coach again.

I would just call and ask ;)
It may seem strange but I can surf the web from work when I am waiting for work to come in like right now but I can't make a telephone call like that from work.

The one time we went coach we brought/bought pillows. It helped but it wasn't quite enough for us to ever do coach again. It may seem strange but I can surf the web from work when I am waiting for work to come in like right now but I can't make a telephone call like that from work.

I agree... I would never do coach again. You can't do it and expect to sleep... Nap yes, sleep no.

Bring pillows and travel blankets. They used to hand them out in coach, but that stopped over a year ago. Even though we will be in a roomette in February, we always bring our own pillows and blanket. The pillows in the sleepers are flat. You will see experienced train riders bringing full size pillows and blankets or comforters.

We sleep better in a roomette than coach, but the best sleep we ever had was in a bedroom. We actually slept for about 6 hours straight which was more than enough to feel normal. In coach, we sleep no more than 5 hours total, completely broken sleep. In a roomette we usually get 5 or so hours straight.

Anyone ridden lately? I'm curious about how crowded meals are, etc.since we're going in early Feb. This thread is a lot less active than it used to be.

Anyone ridden lately? I'm curious about how crowded meals are, etc.since we're going in early Feb. This thread is a lot less active than it used to be.

We leave next Thuradar on AT. I'll report back. Curious also with the new changes. Going to miss that happy hour especially! !!

We leave next Thuradar on AT. I'll report back. Curious also with the new changes. Going to miss that happy hour especially! !!
We road round trip in August after the changes. No free wine with dinner. No wine tasting & snacks for sleeper cars. No fish on menu. Steak is a cheaper cut. Plastic plates, but regular metal flatware that cracks the plate when you cut something.
We go in a sleeper so we take a bottle of wine on with us & drink it in our room. Only 1 club car for use by both coach & sleepers so it is much more crowded. We stay in our sleeper except for dinner now.

Unsubbing for good and bad reasons. The bad is that we will no longer be taking the Auto Train. The good is that we're moving closer to WDW than Lorton VA.

We just rode Oct 29 and Nov 9. I was one of those who was very upset by the changes, so I admit I was a bit jaded going into this trip since we loved the wine and cheese lounge car, etc.

On the train 10/29, we went south. We were practically the only family with kids...all else were snow birds.

When we boarded, my DH and one daughter went to the family bedroom. My other DD and I went straight to the lounge car to secure seats. We were the first one and didn't need to rush. It was empty for a while.

We had brought our own snacks and wine but found out we can't enjoy these in the lounge car ... But of course you can buy theirs!

Train was crowded, 475-490 (I forget) people.

I ordered the chicken and was very pleasantly surprised. I was expecting a downgraded meal, but except for the cheap, plastic placeware, it was really good. Not overcooked and was tasty. The special Dessert was a salted caramel cookie from Sweet Street bakery with vanilla ice cream that was delicious.

We ended up being car #6, after the priority offloading...woo Hoo!! Less than 10 minutes.

On our return, 11/9, we had a sleeper family bedroom again. The ride was definitely rougher at night. We had friends in coach, so it was actually nice to meet up with them in the lounge car. However, the lounge car was attached to the sleepers only in the beginning. So we had the lounge car mostly to ourselves until the trains joined and then those from coach were able to access the lounge car. This is a nice advantage of the sleeper cars -- we got a jump on everyone in coach for seats. I don't remember if this was the same in Lorton. I'm know we could access it right away from our sleeper...not sure about coach.

So if you really like the lounge car, being in a sleeper gives you a head start.

My meal this time was the steak and again, I loved the food. In fact, I ate everything on my plate which is a first. I guess not filling up on snacks from the lounge car helped me enjoy our meal more!

I did miss the wine at dinner and was told I can only have one soda, no refills. We did have water bottles in our room.

The train had only 200-300 people, I believe, going back to VA. There were many empty rooms.

Oh, forgot to mention that both trains had multiple dinner servings and the 7pm one filled up quickly both ways (about 1-1:30pm ish). We went with the first dinner and I'm glad we did. All seatings afterwards got delayed so with kids, it was the right decision to get the first.

Our southbound trip was free with credit card points and Amtrak miles. We just had to pay for our vehicle. I'm glad they allow this now.

We are a family of 4, tall people, with girls ages 9 and 5. We realized that this is the last time we will get the family bedroom bc with four bigger people, we have run out of room...esp with 1/2 bunks for the kids. We drove this summer to FL and although not our favorite, we would do it again if we can't get a good price on two roomettes or at least get one room free with our points.

Oh, playgrounds on both ends are not accessible. Bathrooms in Lorton are now outside in a trailer. Also the sidewalk outside the train station in Lorton is under repairs.

Hope this helps!

We road round trip in August after the changes. No free wine with dinner. No wine tasting & snacks for sleeper cars. No fish on menu. Steak is a cheaper cut. Plastic plates, but regular metal flatware that cracks the plate when you cut something. We go in a sleeper so we take a bottle of wine on with us & drink it in our room. Only 1 club car for use by both coach & sleepers so it is much more crowded. We stay in our sleeper except for dinner now.

Yes, I cracked the cheap plates every time I cut my entree, too.

I've always brought my own wine and snacks, whether we are in coach or sleepers. I drink it at my seat. For dinner, I can drink water and have wine after. We're in a roomette both ways in Feb and we usually just stay in our room and watch a movie on our laptop after dinner. It's easier to watch than the tiny screen in the lounge anyway, plus it's quieter. Even after they set up the beds, we just sit together on the lower bunk til bedtime. Last trip we went straight to the lounge and got a seat, but in the past, we pretty much gave up on it. Too many people will grab a booth with two people and refuse to share even though there is room for at least 4 in a booth. I've seen people ask only to be told no, you can't sit with us. I didn't realize your ticket entitles you to a private booth :confused3

Thanks for the updates here. Was really wondering what our tr I p would be like with the changes. We will surely miss the free wine for the cocktail hour. Am I to understand we can't bring ANY of our own snacks or even nonalcoholic drinks with us to the lounge? We would like to spend extended time with the whole family (9 of us total) on the train for a while. Oh well.

We have a trip north scheduled right after Thanksgiving. Will report our experience.

Thanks for the updates here. Was really wondering what our tr I p would be like with the changes. We will surely miss the free wine for the cocktail hour. Am I to understand we can't bring ANY of our own snacks or even nonalcoholic drinks with us to the lounge? We would like to spend extended time with the whole family (9 of us total) on the train for a while. Oh well. We have a trip north scheduled right after Thanksgiving. Will report our experience.

There are signs that say you can't bring your own food or drinks in the lounge.

On the trip south, we just waited until after dinner and then had our snacks and wine in the lower lounge car, away from everyone else. We did bring it with us to the upper lounge car at 3pm, but after seeing the signs, we didn't bring them out, since we weren't sure how strictly it was enforced.

On the return, we didn't bring anything with us and instead bought the cheese and cracker tray from the lounge, ~$5.

I never saw an Amtrak employee say anything, so maybe it is not enforced...

There are signs that say you can't bring your own food or drinks in the lounge.

On the trip south, we just waited until after dinner and then had our snacks and wine in the lower lounge car, away from everyone else. We did bring it with us to the upper lounge car at 3pm, but after seeing the signs, we didn't bring them out, since we weren't sure how strictly it was enforced.

On the return, we didn't bring anything with us and instead bought the cheese and cracker tray from the lounge, ~$5.

I never saw an Amtrak employee say anything, so maybe it is not enforced...

Ahh...got it. Yeah was just wondering about the rules myself. We are planning on packing a cooler for our ride north, and will keep it in our room for the most part. However as far as snacks go, I was never terribly fond of the chex mix type thing they used to have, but I did love the cheese and veggies. $5 for the tray doesn't sound horrible I guess, if we had to do that, and then just bring our bottles of water from our room with us. :thumbsup2

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest