Airlines limit "service animals" to dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoodie

<font color=purple>Going to BC and GF with one wee
Given our recent experiences with many dogs on airplanes, I welcome this Om a couple flights I heard the owner bragging to nearby flyers about how her little doggie was her pet who'd flied with her everywhere Most of the dogs (including one being bragged about) wore "service animal" vests, but some didn't even have one from Ebay

Airlines don't follow the ADA - they are governed by the ACAA (Air Carriers Access Act).
And, the ACAA allowed Emotional Support animals under certain circumstances- the passenger could be asked for proof of the need for the emotional support animal and did not need to accept ‘exotic’ animals.
This link (as long as it works) was the update to the ACAA in April 2020 which has reportedly been further updated now.
https://www.transportation.gov/indi...e-animals-including-emotional-support-animals

This really does nothing - people will continue to lie about their pets being service animals. My mother has a friend who does this all the time. I even reported her to the airline she always flies, and they didn't care.

This really does nothing - people will continue to lie about their pets being service animals. My mother has a friend who does this all the time. I even reported her to the airline she always flies, and they didn't care.
Keep reporting her. Eventually a crew member will decide to make it an issue, now that there is more power on the airlines' side.

People will continue to lie about pets being service animals until that is stopped also. Right now the ADA does not require proof of, or allow much inquiry into, whether an animal is a service animal, but that could change. People forget that the ADA is a law that can be changed or amended by the legislature if it is abused.

People will continue to lie about pets being service animals until that is stopped also. Right now the ADA does not require proof of, or allow much inquiry into, whether an animal is a service animal, but that could change. People forget that the ADA is a law that can be changed or amended by the legislature if it is abused.

I actually think that the questions, when asked, would help weed out the cheaters. The problem is that people/businesses are afraid to ask.

"Is this a service animal?" and "What service is the animal trained to provide?" would throw off a bunch of cheaters I bet.

Yep. Asking the questions is important, but the one asking has to be trained to do so. then be able to explain why the answer given isn’t good enough..without getting hit, screamed at or otherwise assaulted by some offended individuals who are bound and determined to get their way.

What needs to happen is some form of service animal licensure; which, in any practical sense, is a horrible idea. Having your dog's trained ability tested and certified by a third party sounds like a fine idea, but it will end up like the old Vehicle Emissions Standards regimes. The bureaucracy necessary to track and certify testing agents would be a nightmare.

On the other hand, making a small and easily testable subset of basic obedience training mandatory for any service dog is a different matter.

It doesn't matter what service you have that dog for, it must be able to Sit, Stay, and Come. On command, even amid distractions. Before a service dog gets on a plane they can demonstrate this level of training at least by commanding the dog to sit and then walking 20 feet away and waiting 20 seconds. If the dog can do that, and the owner is willing to risk perjury by signing an affidavit claiming a disability, well it's not perfect but worst case scenario is someone is scamming the system in order to bring their well-behaved dog along.

Nothing erodes trust in the system more than someone with a "service dog" that must be drug, literally, by the leash. That has to be controlled with cages, muzzles, and harnesses instead of verbal command. I saw one with a shock collar once, a dachshund "service dog" with a remote collar. At the same time, give businesses an inch and they will erect convenient barriers that keep disabled people out.

What needs to happen is some form of service animal licensure; which, in any practical sense, is a horrible idea. Having your dog's trained ability tested and certified by a third party sounds like a fine idea, but it will end up like the old Vehicle Emissions Standards regimes. The bureaucracy necessary to track and certify testing agents would be a nightmare.

Frankly, I agree, and I don't think it's a horrible idea From my understanding, a true service dog goes through months of training including time with the intended owner at the training academy I remember several years ago, meeting someone at WDW who was headed to her training with her dog to be, and I was impressed with the degree of training involved I don't see why the training academies can't be equipped to take a picture of the service dog as it's handed off to its ultimate owner, who now carries the service dog's "license" with them at all times I need to show my driver's license at airports, why don't they show anything? And actually, for all the training they've gone through, I would think the dog (and owner) would be proud to have earned that license

And actually, for all the training they've gone through, I would think the dog (and owner) would be proud to have earned that license

I think some worry that service animals that are owner-trained would be singled out and end up receiving less legal protection. My compromise is that whether the dog is trained by Leader Dogs to assist a blind person or by random-dog-owner to alert them of a pending seizure or panic attack, it really needs to have those core obedience skills down perfect and asking a person bringing their service dog into a business to demonstrate that their dog can sit, stay, and come, even in a chaotic environment is fair.

The ADA rules were purposely written to be very vague and there is language that establishes a sort of "When in doubt, interpret in way most favorable to the disabled person." and they have been hard pressed to answer questions directly on the subject where doing so could end up limiting protections for the disabled. And all of that is probably for the best.

Like there's a part of me that really has a problem with how the ADA handles this with regards to, for example, a specific question of whether a business must permit a service dog even when the business owner is severely allergic. The ADA answer is that service dogs are always permitted and employees with allergies should be relocated to another part of the store while the dog is there. Which doesn't address the situation of a small shop with just the allergic person working. But at the same time, this sort of conflict is going to be very rare and ... dang but my eyes work fine so if putting up with the occasional superfluous mutt is my "we live in a society" tax ... fine.

I think some worry that service animals that are owner-trained would be singled out and end up receiving less legal protection. My compromise is that whether the dog is trained by Leader Dogs to assist a blind person or by random-dog-owner to alert them of a pending seizure or panic attack, it really needs to have those core obedience skills down perfect and asking a person bringing their service dog into a business to demonstrate that their dog can sit, stay, and come, even in a chaotic environment is fair.

The ADA rules were purposely written to be very vague and there is language that establishes a sort of "When in doubt, interpret in way most favorable to the disabled person." and they have been hard pressed to answer questions directly on the subject where doing so could end up limiting protections for the disabled. And all of that is probably for the best.

Like there's a part of me that really has a problem with how the ADA handles this with regards to, for example, a specific question of whether a business must permit a service dog even when the business owner is severely allergic. The ADA answer is that service dogs are always permitted and employees with allergies should be relocated to another part of the store while the dog is there. Which doesn't address the situation of a small shop with just the allergic person working. But at the same time, this sort of conflict is going to be very rare and ... dang but my eyes work fine so if putting up with the occasional superfluous mutt is my "we live in a society" tax ... fine.

I think the point is that a true service dog is a working dog, no matter what help they provide their human. So they need to be able to behave when out in public if they want the rights that come along with being a service dog. I don't see why the owner trained dogs can't have a test at one of the schools or at a local Humane society. I am sure that they can come up with an acceptable testing system for these animals. We are not talking about every single pet, but just service animals. Heck, they can even make it so a vet can test and certify a service animal. Just so there is a record of these animals and that alone would weed out a majority of those who are claiming their pet is a service animal. I see no discrimination to the disabled in this.

I think the point is that a true service dog is a working dog, no matter what help they provide their human. So they need to be able to behave when out in public if they want the rights that come along with being a service dog. I don't see why the owner trained dogs can't have a test at one of the schools or at a local Humane society. I am sure that they can come up with an acceptable testing system for these animals. We are not talking about every single pet, but just service animals. Heck, they can even make it so a vet can test and certify a service animal. Just so there is a record of these animals and that alone would weed out a majority of those who are claiming their pet is a service animal. I see no discrimination to the disabled in this.
main problem is fake tests. just like now you can buy on internet fake vests and papers. as soon as required and they will be online to buy. wish it was that easy to do. just like CMs will not look at DR notes, they will not be able to look at these either cause they will be easy to fake

main problem is fake tests. just like now you can buy on internet fake vests and papers. as soon as required and they will be online to buy. wish it was that easy to do. just like CMs will not look at DR notes, they will not be able to look at these either cause they will be easy to fake

That is why you have the test administered by a legitimate agency, like the humane society or a vet. Then that paperwork is turned into the government, they then send out the certification. This is not someone printing stuff up on the internet. If they can do this with handicapped placards, I don't see why it would be that difficult to do with service animals. Of course, this would have to come down through the Federal Gov't agency and the law would need to be put in that all service dogs need to be tested and certified. It really is not as hard and complicated as you are making it out to be. They figured it out with car placards, driver's licenses, etc.

That is why you have the test administered by a legitimate agency, like the humane society or a vet. Then that paperwork is turned into the government, they then send out the certification. This is not someone printing stuff up on the internet. If they can do this with handicapped placards, I don't see why it would be that difficult to do with service animals. Of course, this would have to come down through the Federal Gov't agency and the law would need to be put in that all service dogs need to be tested and certified. It really is not as hard and complicated as you are making it out to be. They figured it out with car placards, driver's licenses, etc.
how many times do you hear about fake IDs being used by teens to drink? wasnt that long ago a ring was broken up in my area that sold fake drivers licenses and they werent just for our state. what happens when USA doesnt accept Canada ones like drivers licenses for buying drinks? wish it was as simple as you make it out

how many times do you hear about fake IDs being used by teens to drink? wasnt that long ago a ring was broken up in my area that sold fake drivers licenses and they werent just for our state. what happens when USA doesnt accept Canada ones like drivers licenses for buying drinks? wish it was as simple as you make it out

Your right, why do we even bother? Let's get rid of driver's test and licenses, Government ID's, social security numbers, passports, etc because all of these can be forged and stolen so what's the point? Right? You kind of sound silly.

I believe FL and many other states already don't accept foreign DL for purchasing alcohol, a passport is needed.

But back to requiring standardized documentation. THere will always be people to are willing to scam the system, use fakes etc. There are various strategies that can be put in places to reduce / discourage that, with varying degrees to success.

SW

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter