advice on two rides

Texasfan

Mouseketeer
How do Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Indiana Jones compare to the Matterhorn Bobsleds. My daughter loves the bobsleds, but I was not sure about the other two rides. She is not real adventures, but she really wanted to try the bobsleds last time and love them. I do not want to push her on something that she is not ready for, but if the intensity is similar then I feel she will be fine on them.

Thanks!

I have a 6 year old and a nine year old ..........the Matterhorn bobsleds are a tiny bit smoother then big thunder , but very similar . Indiana Jones is a lot rougher but my kids LOVE it! My son ( the older one) went on IJ with no fight the first time because he could not see it fron then outside , and had such a good time he ran out to get daddy to ride with him again! Another friend told his son's to close their eye on it if they got scared and they loved it too , but when asked about certian parts , they could not tell what they saw! :mickeyjum

Personally, I find Big Thunder a lot less jarring than Matterhorn. In fact, Matterhorn gives me a headache (and I love roller coasters). Indy is bumpy and has some scary scenery and a snake that jumps out at you.

i agree with iceskatejen -- I think big thunder is smoother than the Matterhorn -- my dad loved big thunder, but would never go on the matterhorn

My 9 yr old DS loves Big Thunder but could easily skip Matterhorn (gasp!) if he had a choice.
Big Thunder is a very smooth, good pace with a ratio of enough slower lift hill moments to thrilling zipping "hold onto your hat" moments. He has just started to raise his arms going up lift hills and let his body shift on the curves.

Indy is very bumpy- I have my 9 yr old sit in the middle seats so he is not thrown around as much. He closes his eyes /looks away in the snake area and the part with the skeletons. He does enjoy the ride.
You have a less bumpy ride if seated in middle rows, middle seats. Front seat is not too bad either. VERY bumpy and jerked around in back row and exit seats.

I can not convince him to like Screamin', he goes maybe once per trip if we are all riding together.

I was just in DL and it seemed to me, that When you ride the Matterhorn and you normally have 2 ppl per cart thingy it seems a lot more bumpy (to me that is).. so i like to go single rider... it is not bumpy at all :).

When i was on IJ, dont sit in the very back row, if your daughter is scared of things jumping out at you, i'd sit in one of the other 3 rows.. b/c the giant snake seems to jump out to the ppl in the back row. just a few tips;)

Texasfan said:
How do Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Indiana Jones compare to the Matterhorn Bobsleds. My daughter loves the bobsleds, but I was not sure about the other two rides. She is not real adventures, but she really wanted to try the bobsleds last time and love them. I do not want to push her on something that she is not ready for, but if the intensity is similar then I feel she will be fine on them.

Thanks!
If it's the intensity your worried about, and your daughter loves the Matterhorn (which I find jerkier and bumpier than any other ride in DL), then she should also love Big Thunder and possibly Indiana Jones (except as others have already mentioned, Indy has some scary scenes/characters, but the actual, physical ride is great!).

You didn't mention, how old is your daughter? (I was just wondering because I wouldn't recommend Indy for younger kids).

Thank you for everyone who responded! I do not think she will be scared of the snakes and other props, but I was worried more about the actual motion of the ride. The first time I took her to Disneyland she had just turned 4 and her favorite rides were the Haunted Mansion, and PC. She will turn 8 a month before we go

We love IJ - but my two sons - who were 7 and 8 last time we were there - were still scared of it and didn't want to ride it again "ever". Sounds like she'll be allright, though, if she was that brave at 4! Also - I prefer TM to Matterhorn! It has more to look at and I also think it's smoother.

My scared of everything DD loves Big Thunder. But hates Space, Matterhorn, IJ, Splash, and just about everything else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter