A Salute To All Things Disney, But Mostly Food - A Feb 15 Dining Report - That's a Wrap 7/18

Now if it was free I would definitely have had a different opinion ; ) We're going in September too, but have AP's so we don't do free dining. When are you all going? We'll be there over labor day week.

Where are you staying over Labor Day? We will be there at the same time! Poly Club Level!

I have thoroughly enjoyed your reviews! It looks like you had a great 4th! Sending good thoughts for your dad and his surgery!

Awesome reviews, I enjoyed reading through them all. How were the crowds during your trip in February?

Just a quick real life update and the promise of a wrap-up and the new report very soon.

First hope everyone had a great 4th of July (or Canada Day for Kathy and any other of our Northern friends out there). We had a blast with our traditional July 4th at the beach. Here are a few pics from the trip.

Casey in her other (non-Disney) element, WATER!!!!
View attachment 108366

And not surprisingly to everyone, there was lots and lots of food
View attachment 108368

And of course adult beverages
View attachment 108369

We just got back yesterday and while I'm off work for a few more days, my Dad is having his knee replaced so I'll be in care giver mode. I think I caught up on everyone else's goings on so I'm hoping to have this bad boy wrapped up and the new report started in the next few days. Thanks for hanging in there.
Thanks for all the great reviews and good thoughts for your dad coming your way!

Thanks for a great trip report & reviews! Looking forward to reading what's next.

Oh good! I have been wondering when you were going to start the next one.

I hope your father's surgery goes off without a hitch and that he's running around quickly.

I'm so amazed at Casey's sophisticated tastes!
She is so adorable, Jason will have to beat the boys off with a stick. Someday you'll be longing for your little princessprincess: and a terrible meal at Akershus, she's quite the heartbreaker already!

Hope your Dad is doing well and can't wait for your next report.:tinker:

Thanks to all for the well wishes. My Dad's surgery went off without a hitch and hopefully he'll be home tomorrow.

Hope your Dad's surgery goes well Kari :goodvibes
Thanks Lori
You and Jason are such a cute couple! :lovestruc
:blush::blush::blush:
My dad is considering that...but I hope the recovery isn't too bad.
Sounds like recovery is in the 6 weeks neighborhood. My Dad needs both done so this is the first of 2 surgeries

Love the pics from your 4th of July celebration at the beach. And I hope your dad's surgery goes well and he has a very quick recovery!
Thanks Barb!
So, so jealous!!!
It pays to travel with your own personal chef :-)
Wonderful reviews, thanks :)
Thank you

Where are you staying over Labor Day? We will be there at the same time! Poly Club Level!
We're staying at Poly too!!!!!! Just checked out your PTR and it looks like we'll overlap for a few days. Right now we plan to get down there on the 5th and stay through the 12th, but may try and get a few more days in on the front end if Jason has a few extra days or leave.

I have thoroughly enjoyed your reviews! It looks like you had a great 4th! Sending good thoughts for your dad and his surgery!
Thank you so much!

Awesome reviews, I enjoyed reading through them all. How were the crowds during your trip in February?
Thank you! Crowds in February are definitely manageable, but not as light as we had the prior year at at the end of January. We arrived the day of the Princess half marathon so I think that added to some of the crowds.

Thanks for all the great reviews and good thoughts for your dad coming your way!
Thank you!

Thanks for a great trip report & reviews! Looking forward to reading what's next.
Thanks so much

Oh good! I have been wondering when you were going to start the next one.

I hope your father's surgery goes off without a hitch and that he's running around quickly.
You and me both. Hopefully I can get to it this weekend.

I'm so amazed at Casey's sophisticated tastes!
She is so adorable, Jason will have to beat the boys off with a stick. Someday you'll be longing for your little princessprincess: and a terrible meal at Akershus, she's quite the heartbreaker already!

Hope your Dad is doing well and can't wait for your next report.:tinker:
Thanks. We definitely hit the lottery with our non-picky child.

Jason is already dreading her teenage years. She played with a couple of boys at the beach last weekend and it is clear he is not ready for all that having a girl brings with it ; ) And your right, I can't believe she is 4 already and in the not too distant future I'll be wishing for some more princess time.

We will be there Sept 6th-13th! I can't wait! Do you have any meals planned or are you doing no ADRs? BTW, I did schedule a Yak and Yeti. All these awesome reviews convinced me I needed to go for it!

Foolish me, this was the land of no decorum or respect for others and you guessed it I found myself now last in line and standing in the pouring down rain. #GoodTimes

What were you trying to ruin their trip to Disney? ;)Because they're the only ones that matter apparently. :sad2:

As I watched in agony as all the people who had cut in line in front of me were called, 30 minutes after our arrival we finally made it in.

Oh, that stinks! I would have been seething.

Casey was thrilled to see Belle on our way in but apparently her parents were still disgruntled and took no pictures ; ) No worries though, soon enough the rest of the princess crew made their way to our table.

After that if I you did was forget one picture, I think you did great. :thumbsup2

Casey did enjoy the princess parade where she could wave to all her adoring fans.

So cute!

For the Norwegian offerings the salmon and capers was the stand-out but it could have used some lemon on it, but none was available. I tried it with the Norwegian salsa, which tasted ok but was a little too bitter for me. The herring was good, as was the brown cheese which was very sweet and creamy.

This might be the only thing that tempts me to eat there. :laughing:

I know there are people out there who love the character meals, but for me I'm going to a restaurant for the food and Akershus just didn't deliver and certainly wasn't a good value.

I agree.::yes:: I think they're only good for things like Crystal Palace to get in before the park opens. That's the only reason Tusker House is on my list.

I really enjoyed your review and look forward to reading your next one. :goodvibes

Glad your Dad's surgery went well!
Thanks!

We will be there Sept 6th-13th! I can't wait! Do you have any meals planned or are you doing no ADRs? BTW, I did schedule a Yak and Yeti. All these awesome reviews convinced me I needed to go for it!
Yeah for trips at the same time. Where are you all staying???? Our September trip is still a work in progress, but think it may be a hybrid approach. We'll see.

Hope you love Yak n Yeti and be sure to save room for the wontons for dessert!

What were you trying to ruin their trip to Disney? ;)Because they're the only ones that matter apparently. :sad2:
Clearly my MO for the day was to stand in the rain and ruin everyone elses day ; )

I agree.::yes:: I think they're only good for things like Crystal Palace to get in before the park opens. That's the only reason Tusker House is on my list.

I really enjoyed your review and look forward to reading your next one. :goodvibes
I'm with ya on the character meals, though I do like the food at Tusker House just not the price.

First and foremost my sincerest thanks to everyone for following along on our dining adventures. In case you couldn't tell we are a family that loves food and I truly enjoy being able to share that love with everyone. Ok, that is enough nicey-nicey for one paragraph, let's wrap this bad boy up with a few superlatives and parting thoughts. Drum roll please.....

Worst Meal (figure we can start with the bad and end on a good n0te)

Akershus - I'm sure this will come as no surprise to anyone, but even a few princesses couldn't save lackluster food and exorbitant prices

Most Overhyped

Zebra Domes - Just didn't get it

Biggest Surprise....

Whispering Canyon - I had absolutely zero expectations and was just happy for a meal after our exhausting travel adventures and was pleasantly surprised at how well done the food was. Bonus points for the best baked beans ever.

Best Quick Service

Sleepy Hollow - We didn't do many this trip, but that spicy chicken waffle sandwich gets me every time

Best Drink

Kona Cafe - Clearly we don't skimp when it comes to adult beverages and we had a lot of really good wine, but there is something about mary, a bloody one that is, and its perfect start to the day

Best Appetizer

Jiko - I know I heralded it in the write-up and I still stand by it - this carrot soup is the most divine soup these lips have ever touched
Honorable mention goes to the bread service at Sanaa, which could be a meal in its own right

Best Entree

Jiko - This Piri Piri Snapper was the best fish I'd ever eaten. Combine tomatoes and butter in a sauce, add a perfectly prepared fish, and top it off with some truffle pap and you've got a winner

Best Dessert

Yak n Yeti - Wontons and dessert don't typically go together, but clearly stuffed with cream cheese, fried, and some cream cheese icing and ice cream thrown in the mix changes that equation. This one did live up to the hype

Overall Best Meal

Jiko - I'm sure its not surprise, but from beginning to end and service to food, this hit all the right notes. And since you already saw my soup and fish, here is Jason's pork

Despite some rain and a bit of cold weather, this was a great trip to the world and a wonderful birthday for Ms. Casey. So wonderful, that we decided we just couldn't wait until September to do it again so a June trip was in order. I started that trip report today and hope you can join me on those dining adventures as well:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/adrs-yes-we-made-stinking-adrs-a-june-15-dining-report.3430064/

Thanks!

Yeah for trips at the same time. Where are you all staying???? Our September trip is still a work in progress, but think it may be a hybrid approach. We'll see.

Hope you love Yak n Yeti and be sure to save room for the wontons for dessert!

Clearly my MO for the day was to stand in the rain and ruin everyone elses day ; )

I'm with ya on the character meals, though I do like the food at Tusker House just not the price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter