504 Plans?

there's a lot of good 504 info out there on the web too. My son (like Carol's) has a 504 just for his accomodations needed for diabetes. He has absolutely no learning needs so he doesn't need an IEP and 90% of his 504 relates to what he needs (visit the nurse whenever needed, drinks when needed, bathroom breaks, etc etc etc) However, we do have accomodations related to school work in the 504 - for instance, we have things like accomodations needed for state testing (breaks if needed) and requiremtns that say he must test blood sugar before taking a test and then the ability to postpone his testing without penalty until his blood sugar is in range. So you can have some educational type items in a 504. :)

One thing to remember for future reference is that IEPs are not just for academic needs but also may be used for non-academic needs that promote an “appropriate education” which goes well beyond just what is formally taught in the classroom out of books.

bookwormde

I am so sorry, I just clicked on disabilities and did not think to check to see where to post it correctly once I did.
Not a problem.
That's why I moved it for you - you will get more answers here.

One thing to remember for future reference is that IEPs are not just for academic needs but also may be used for non-academic needs that promote an “appropriate education” which goes well beyond just what is formally taught in the classroom out of books.

bookwormde

Very true. I was trying to think of the simplest terms possible to explain. Maybe a better way to say it would be to say that an IEP tends to be related to the actual curriculum. For instance, a student may have the academic ability to keep up with the curriculum, but may qualify under a behavioral diagnosis because their behavior is such that they are disrupting their learning or that of others.

Yes even “playground” time and all extracurricular activates are covered by IDEA since they are integral to socialization and “team building”

bookwormde

One of the cases we studied in the class I TA'd dealt with a young man who had asthma. He kept his inhaler in his locker, went to use it, and died. The school was found negligent because the inhaler was not in the nurse's office. Because of this case schools are loathe to allow students to do things like use inhalers or test glucose outside of the nurse's office. TThis was they nurse is aware if there is a problem such as being too high or too low and can make sure the child takes steps to fix it.

First off I wanted to thank everyone for their information as I am getting ready to have a 504 done for my youngest DD for her asthma and severe mold allergy. The amount of school she missed last year along with the battle we had for her inhaler being given to her were just more than I will allow to happen to her again.

In the above post, it mentions the nurse's office for use of inhalers. In the last 3 school districts my kids have attended the policy has changed to allow the student to carry their inhalers on them or have it kept by the classroom teacher as it can be very dangerous keeping the inhaler in the office or the nurse's office (we only get a nurse for maybe one day a week now). My youngest is supposed to be in 1st grade right now but is currently hanging out at home being taught by me until we actually get a school that will meet her needs. This is a fight that has been going on since school got out the end of May. My youngest was having a lot of asthma issues and really needed her inhaler so I had already filled out the paperwork and gave her teacher the inhaler as at 5/6 she is not old enough IMO to handle the inhaler herself plus she had a classmate already taking things and sticking them down in her underware so not willing to risk the inhaler going "missing". Anyway, I notified her teachers of what time she needed her inhaler and they would constantly "forget" to give it to her. One day I had gone by the school on my way to class and was there 2 hours before my DD was to get her inhaler. I reminded her assistant teacher of the inhaler need and time and they still "forgot" to give it to her. Funny thing was the assistant teacher never forgot her smoke break. I was livid.

When I filed the complaint with the assistant superintendent and superintendent the assistant asked why my dd did not just carry her own inhaler. I reminded him that she was 5/6 and they don't have anywhere other than their backpacks to keep the inhalers which lead to a dangerous situation if she had a severe attack or if another child decided to use it. I hate this school district but refuse to give up fighting.

Again, thank you all for the information.

I have a little experience with 504s but most of my experience is with IEPs.
504 are commonly used for physical conditions, which in unto themselves (if well managed) do not have a major impact on the educational experience and progress. They are easier to get “classified” for but lack much of the “power, flexibility and protections that an IEP has. If you invasion that a significant portions of your child’s current challenges will “dissipate” over time and the expected school environment accommodations and supports will not be to complicated then a 504 may be ok, otherwise an IEP may be needed. If a paraprofessional is going to be needed typically this is done through and IEP.

bookwormde

Basically, an IEP is for kids who need a different curriculum or modifications to the curriculum. A 504 is for kids with physical problems that need to be taken care of tallow them access to a Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE). It sounds like that is exactly what your daughter needs as you state she is very intelligent and none of the issues you listed would affect her intellectual funcitoning. (You can think of IEPs as intellectual and 504s as physical).

The 504 will state exactly what she needs to access education. Most likely a para will be assigned to her. It is true that more often than not paras are assigned to kids with IEPs, but it is not uncommon to have kids with 504s need paras. Growing up I went to school with several kids with physical challenges who had paras to help them with things like navigating the hallways and carrying stuff. I had a student with diabetes and part of the 504 included allowing the student to havee a water bottle in class and to use the bathroom whenever he asked. Things for your daughter might include things like going to the nurse for her tube feedings, a para to help with toileting needs, anything she might need to for her breathing condition, etc. There might also be provisions in there for her in case she is absent due to illness such as the teacher has to send work home or allow her to make up assignments. It will all depend on what she needs.

I hope this helps!

A 504 plan can be for all disabilities.:thumbsup2
A 504 recognizes the disability and provides accomodations making the "playing field" even. These students don't need IEP goals. They need the environment or school work modified.

I know of students with 504 plans that allow them to take their tests in a separate room, sit at the front of the classroom, sit at a peanut free area in the cafeteria (and be in a peanut free classroom), leave class early to navigate the hallways, have extra time for tests, get copies of the notes from their teachers, have an additional set of text books at home, physical school building modifications, I could go on and on.
If your child NEEDS a special accomodation to have the same opportunity to learn as other students, but does not require an IEP --the 504 is the document you use.

I just wanted to say that 504 Plans can absolutely be used for academic challenges and not simply physical conditions. Our DS had one from 4th grade through this year (12th) for those very reasons and we are to take it to his college where they will use it as a foundation on what he needs to make it through there. I also have a family member and friends with 504 Plans for similar reasons. DS does have asthma and has carried a rescue inhaler with him (required a doctors note) but this was never mentioned on, or included in, his 504 Plan!

Some examples of DS modifications made via the 504 throughout his school years would be:

~Extended time on tests.
~Extended time for projects/assignments.
~Written directions for assignments.
~A proctor for tests, and tests taken outside of the classroom.
~Use of a Franklin Spellchecker for in-class assignments.
~Where applicable, audio books used (such as a required novel).
~Not to be counted off for spelling or punctuation errors on tests and assignment (with the exception of English and Foreign Language).
~Allowed to send projects back and forth to school via email.
~Allowed to use computer to type up all papers, essays, etcetera (ecspecially applicable when he was younger and most were to be hand-written).
~When he was younger (not in high school but before) we also had these: reduction of one answer choice on multiple choice tests, parental notification of upcoming tests and quizzes (due to the amount of study time required for him to even have a chance of retention), and allowing him to correct incorrect math answers from tests for 1/2 credit back.

I was always told that the supports/modifications were what was needed to "level the playing field". Some worked, others eh! What I noticed was that while written beautifully, the 504 Plans were ignored at times (often I had to contact the guidence counsellor and special ed supervisor after repeated reminders to his teachers (not all, some) were ignored... generally their intervention would help for awhile).

Good luck with your daughter transition :goodvibes I hope it is a positive and wonderful year!

If you have an IEP the 504 laws already apply to your child while they are at school. You can have a 504 and not have an IEP.

The school may very well want to evaluate your child for an IEP so that they can get funds to help provide for her needs while at school. There are lots of bright children who would still qualify for and IEP. Schools get extra funding for IEP and not for 504. They still have to comply even if your child only qualifies for a 504, it just may mean more effort on your part to advocate for what she needs because cost may cause reluctance on the part of the school.

If she does get and IEP for school it would only cover her while in the public school system. It will not work if you need after school care for her. You would need to get a 504 for after care even if she is on an IEP at school. A 504 plan alone follows your child (Daycare, college, work... ) because it is part of the americans with disabilities act.

I thought I would share what my DD 504 has in place for ADHD and epilepsy.

1. Teachers will check in student on a regular bassis during class to ensure she understands directions and expectations and to monitor her progress.

2. Teachers will seat student preferentially, close to the soruce of instruction, to minimize distracions and facilitate teacher access.

3.Teachers will break down complex or long-term assignments for student into more managable parts, and monitor her progress through such assignments.

4.Teachers will encourage student to ask questions and self advocate and praise her for her efforts to do so.

5.Teachers will check her agenda book for completeness and accuracy upon her bringing it to them.

6. teachers will allow extended time limits for certain assignments, as needed.

7.Teachers will allow student to ask for clarification if she does not understand a concept, an assignment, or directions.

My son was covered underthe section 504 plan , he was not physically handicapped , he did not qualify for IEP he tested well above their normal. He had ADD, we had a very poor experince with this as teachers ,used it against him they were supposed to give him a lighter work load give him areas where it was easier less comotion to test .none of this happened , teachers just did not want to be bothered. work close with your school and be on top of it,i am sure it works in most schools

No apologies necessary!

As long as we are getting the info we need to assist our children in the best way that we can, I am happy! :goodvibes

In my daughter's plan we have it worded that after 10 cumulative days missed, she will be provided with homebound instruction. In our district, it would normally be 10 consecutive days. Piper is in 3rd grade now, and we have had it in the plan since kindergarten. When a child is younger (in our state, anyway) all they do is lower the hrs of homebound required, they are STILL required to do homebound. Sometimes it isn't as issue, but often she'll come home on IV's, and then we do use the homebound. We also keep an extra set of books at home, water bottle in the classroom, unlimited bathroom access, no playing outdoors over 84 or under 45 degrees. Notification when any other child in her classroom is displaying any respiratory symptom so I can go pick Piper up. Piper has CF, but it sounds like some of the issues are similar. You can pretty much build in whatever you need to :) Hope that helps, feel free to pm me if you have questions...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter