3 ER visits, 4 broken bones, numerous stitches – and that was only the first day!

sewdisney

Mouseketeer
A warm welcome to everyone. My name is Debora. I live in Colorado. I have been married to my wonderful husband for 29 years. Together we have 3 wonderful children (1 DD, 2 DS) and 1 beautiful 8 year old granddaughter. (I have legal custody of my granddaughter and I've had her since she was born so I am more her “mommy” than her “grandma” and I consider her my child so if I talk about her as my “DD”, that is who I am referring to.) I LOVE to sew and create things. I make lots of custom clothing and jewelry and funky headpieces for our trips. I am lucky because my whole family tolerates me and my crazy obsession.

We recently took a trip to Florida to go to Disneyworld. The people who came on the trip consisted of myself, my DH, one DS, DD (who joined us late) and DD (granddaughter).

Even though there were numerous bumps in the road, overall, we had a good vacation. I hope you enjoy reading about our adventure as much as I enjoyed experiencing most of it and then writing it.

My story actually begins a while before our trip ever started. We almost didn't get to go on our trip. We started to plan our trip in November 2013. We decided to go in October 2014. Unfortunately, in February 2014, my DH lost his job. We went for several months without him finding a job. In August, we decided to cancel our trip to Disneyworld. Also in August, my adult DD found out she had cancer. I traveled to Texas where she lives to be with her for a while. When I returned in September, my DH surprised me with telling me he got a job and we were going to go to Disneyworld in October. Later in September, I contracted MRSA and was in the hospital for a while. We thought about cancelling, but we decided we really needed a vacation.

We were all ready to go and then the day before we left for Florida, my DH went into work and found out that the company he was working for was acquired by another company and effective March of 2015, no one from the original company will have a job any more. Again, we thought about not going, but our plane tickets were nonrefundable as was the condo we were going to stay at. We figured we would lose so much money if we didn't go, we might as well go. It certainly put a damper on things though.

We thought with all these bad things happening before our trip, our bad luck was behind us and we would have smooth sailing: Oh how wrong we were! As you can see from the title of this report, disaster struck within the first day. Stay tuned for the details.

Subbing in!!! Sounds like y'all have had a heck of a time! Hope your trip had some magical moments in it!!

I am here!

I know you have had such a rough year... I was so hoping that this trip would be such a relief for you. I hope the rest of your days go better than your first day.

:hug:

D~

Subbing in!!! Sounds like y'all have had a heck of a time! Hope your trip had some magical moments in it!!

Yes, we did have a heck of a time! And, yes, we did have some magical moments. Thanks

I am here!

I know you have had such a rough year... I was so hoping that this trip would be such a relief for you. I hope the rest of your days go better than your first day.

:hug:

D~
Thanks D. Some of the rest of the days went better, some worse!

That's pretty much what I was saying!

I feel kind of bad for saying this but I can't wait to hear about this one.

Don't feel bad! I will be the first to admit that it's an incredible story. I'll update below.

Welcome back everyone. Well, after all the bad things that happened to us, we were looking forward to a fun filled vacation. The morning we left started at 3:00 in the morning. We had to leave our house at 3:30 in the morning in order to get to the airport at 5:15 AM for our 7:15 AM flight. We arrived without incident at the airport and we got through security fairly quickly.

Our flight landed in Orlando shortly after noon. We got our bags and rental car and headed out for lunch. For the afternoon, we headed to a go-cart race track. We just love racing around and around. Whenever we are in Florida, we always try to plan our first afternoon at a go-cart place. We were riding go-carts for several hours and having a great time. DH went back to the car to get more sunscreen while DS, DD and I went on another go-cart. DD rode with me. I’m not sure why, but all of a sudden, they told everyone to stop their carts. After everyone was stopped, they told everyone over the loud speaker to get out of their carts and walk to the exit. I have a lot of medical issues and I need help getting into and out of the go-carts. DS came over to help me get out of my cart. I was standing up but still in the cart when a young girl accidentally stepped on her gas pedal and she panicked and instead of hitting the breaks, she stepped even harder on the gas pedal. I don’t remember what happened next but DS told me the girl slammed into my cart. I did a kart-wheel over the back of my go-cart and I landed sideways on the girl’s go-cart. Like I said, I don’t remember any of that. I just remember waking up in the hospital. (I was unconscious for several hours.)

The ambulance took DD to one hospital and they took me to another. DH had to decide which one of us to go with. Thankfully he decided he would go with DD and he had DS come with me. I’m glad that is the way he chose. I would have chosen the same way. DD ended up with a mild concussion and stitches on her chin. I ended up breaking 3 ribs and breaking my tailbone, I also got several stitches and a concussion.

While we were in the hospital, DS realized his foot was really hurting so the doctor X-rayed it and he also broke a bone.

So that is how we ended up with 3 ER visits, 4 broken bones and numerous stitches on our first day. Unfortunately, believe it or not, I had an even worse experience later on in the trip.

Oh Lord Debora! You are so lucky that you weren't injured worse! I am just shocked! So, I wonder how this made the rest of your trip go - you had to have been in a lot of pain! I would have done the same thing too, I would have wanted my DH to go with the kids.

D~

subscribing because I want to make sure I get to read the whole trip story.

Welcome!

Oh Lord Debora! You are so lucky that you weren't injured worse! I am just shocked! So, I wonder how this made the rest of your trip go - you had to have been in a lot of pain! I would have done the same thing too, I would have wanted my DH to go with the kids.
D~
Yes, I was in TONS of pain, but that wasn't the worse pain I had on the trip...(details later)
I felt sorry for DH because he knew I was hurt so much worse than DD but DD is, well, his little girl. I think he knew all along he would go with DD but I know it wasn't an easy decision for him.

Oh my gosh, how horrible!
Yes, it wasn't pleasant that's for sure!

Day 2
I was still in the hospital but DH, DS and DD went to the Magic Kingdom. They used their first FP of the day by riding Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Here is a photo of DS and DD. (Sorry, I won't put pictures of DD on the internet so I have blocked out her face.)
2316cc0d-f03f-44cb-a098-3b64c338c52b_zps4f854c92.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Don’t know why DS looks so weird. He would not be pleased with me if he knew I was putting this picture on here – (don’t tell him!)

Then they worked their way over to Splash Mountain – they had "only" a 60 minute wait.
8c0d4042-7db2-4b77-b079-b82e2cb7f7db_zps8318205a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DS and DH - 2 of 3 of the most important men in my life!

Onto the second FP which was Pirates. DD then wanted to go see the Tiki Room. DS did not want to, but since he adores his little niece, he agreed to go. They stopped for lunch but no one took notes so they don’t remember what they ate. After lunch, they used their final FP and they went on the Jungle Cruise. They worked their way over to Fantasy Land and rode a few rides there before the park closed for the evening.

They finished up the day by coming up to visit me in the hospital.

Stay tuned tomorrow - do I get out of the hospital? Is it time for our next disaster? Do we actually have a quite day?

I hope everyone has a magical day.

Oh for the love of pants...my gracious. Your tailbone? OUCH. I am SO SORRY. I can't believe that happened, did they offer to help with your medical bills, I hope? I bet the young girl felt awful, too, poor thing. I'm sorry DD was hurt, too! Goodness!

I'm subbing. I hope there's still some magic in the unluckiest trip report I've ever seen!

Oh for the love of pants...my gracious. Your tailbone? OUCH. I am SO SORRY. I can't believe that happened, did they offer to help with your medical bills, I hope? I bet the young girl felt awful, too, poor thing. I'm sorry DD was hurt, too! Goodness!

I'm subbing. I hope there's still some magic in the unluckiest trip report I've ever seen!

Welcome and thank you.

No, the place did not offer to help with the bills. In fact, my DH and DS said that while I was unconscious, the employees were trying to wake me up to sign legal papers. We have no intention of suing that place - they did nothing wrong - it was an accident - but it does irk me that they were shoving papers under my nose when I was knocked out but I guess that's what the world has come to - you have to cover your behind because people will sue over anything.

I don't know how the girl felt. In fact, I don't even know if she was hurt or not. It turns out that seconds after this happened, people saw her and her parents running from the park. No one knows who it was. I can't imagine being responsible (or having my child be responsible) for an accident like this and to just run from the scene. I don't blame the girl, she didn't mean for it to happen but I do think her parents are horrible for teaching their child to just run away when you've done something wrong instead of facing the music. I can only imagine what that girl must be feeling right now. Those that saw her figured she was probably around 11 - 12 years old. I do feel sorry for her.

i can't believe that wasn't your worst pain of the trip.

Did the go-kart place check to make sure you were okay?

They had their lawyers check on me. :) Like I said above, they are just covering their behinds, they are afraid of a major lawsuit so I guess I really can't blame them.

Welcome and thank you. No, the place did not offer to help with the bills. In fact, my DH and DS said that while I was unconscious, the employees were trying to wake me up to sign legal papers. We have no intention of suing that place - they did nothing wrong - it was an accident - but it does irk me that they were shoving papers under my nose when I was knocked out but I guess that's what the world has come to - you have to cover your behind because people will sue over anything. I don't know how the girl felt. In fact, I don't even know if she was hurt or not. It turns out that seconds after this happened, people saw her and her parents running from the park. No one knows who it was. I can't imagine being responsible (or having my child be responsible) for an accident like this and to just run from the scene. I don't blame the girl, she didn't mean for it to happen but I do think her parents are horrible for teaching their child to just run away when you've done something wrong instead of facing the music. I can only imagine what that girl must be feeling right now. Those that saw her figured she was probably around 11 - 12 years old. I do feel sorry for her. They had their lawyers check on me. :) Like I said above, they are just covering their behinds, they are afraid of a major lawsuit so I guess I really can't blame them.

Wow that is so awful on both parts! Even if you had signed something I'm sure it wouldn't have stood up in court. No way were you in your right mind after being knocked unconscious.

To that girls parents I hope she never gets in a real accident. If she was to pull that while driving a car she would get charges of fleeing the scene of an accident with bodily injury. That isn't a minor offense either.

CRUD! We bought the Memory Maker and we figure we took somewhere between 400 – 500 photos but when we went online to get them, there were only 97 photos. I am beyond angry because we paid for the Memory Maker so we could have all these photos and now they don’t exist. We don’t know what happened to all the photos the Disney photographers took but they are gone. :furious: I guess with as cursed as this trip seemed to be, I shouldn't be surprised.

Day 3 came; we had planned to go to Disney Hollywood Studios. DS took DD there and DH came to pick me up at the hospital. I didn't want to spend the day all alone again so I went to DHS with everyone else. (I don’t know what was worse – going to Disney but not being able to ride any rides or sitting all alone in our condo while everyone else goes to Disney.) :sad:

DH, DS and DD all rode the Tower of Terror. DD was positive she wouldn't like it, but my rule is you must ride every ride at least once – you don’t have to ride it more than that, but you must try it. It turns out that she “hated” it so much she wanted to ride it again and again.

For lunch we had reservations at Mama Melrose. Oh Boy! The food was beyond delicious! For our appetizer, DH and I each had the Fresh Mozzarella and Vine-Ripened Tomatoes. DS had the Caesar Salad and DD had the mixed greens salad. For the main course, DH had the Penne alla Vodka with Chicken. I had the Penne Pasta with chicken in a four-cheese sauce. DS had the Oven-baked Chicken alla Parmigiana. DD had some gluten-free pasta. Unfortunately, they brought the food while I was in the restroom and no one took photos! For dessert, DD had a scoop of ice cream while DH, DS and I split a Chocolate Amarettini Cheesecake and some vanilla Gelato. I HIGHLY recommend this place. Next time we go to DHS, you can bet we will eat here!

Things felt like home when we saw this:
P1020128Haileybysnowman_zps1abb7e99.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After lunch, we all went on the Great Movie Ride (I got to ride this as it is very tame!) Then the rest of the family rode on Star Wars (DD was NOT impressed!)

While walking along, DH spotted the land speeder thing from Star Wars and he wanted DD to hop on. But with her not liking the Star Wars ride, she really didn't want to but after he bribed her with the promise of a Dole Whip later on in the trip, she agreed to get on and get her photo taken:

Finally they rode Toy Story Mania. DD LOVED this. The ride actually stopped for a short while right in front of one of the “games” and they just got to keep racking up the points. They all had incredible scores!

In the late afternoon, we went to the Sci-Fi Restaurant. We heard that the food isn't that great but the desserts are good so we all got desserts. The place has such a fun ambiance! It is so cool sitting in a car just like you’re in a drive-in theater. DD had an ice cream sundae and also a “Meteor” which is just a soft drink with a glow cube in it. A bit pricey, but I can see where a little one would get a kick out of their drink glowing! DS had the “Orbiting Oreos” which is an Oreo shake mixed with Godiva Chocolate Liqueur and also a glow cube. He said it was FANTASTIC! DH had the Oreo cookie milk shake and I had a chocolate milk shake – YUMMMM!

DH took DD to the ‘Honey I Shrunk the Kids’ playground. She had a BLAST! She got such a kick out of the life-size blades of grass.

We wrapped up the evening by watching Fantasmic! It was really cool. Thankfully, I heard ahead of time that it can be really loud so I was prepared with ear phones for DD. She has a lot of sensory issues and loud noises can send her into a tail spin. Since she had the ear phones, she really enjoyed the evening.

So I thought we’d turned a corner on this cursed trip. Little did I know that things were going to get a LOT worse in only a few hours. (Can you say, "Cliffhanger"?) ;)

Have a super day everyone!

CRUD! We bought the Memory Maker and we figure we took somewhere between 400 – 500 photos but when we went online to get them, there were only 97 photos. I am beyond angry because we paid for the Memory Maker so we could have all these photos and now they don’t exist. We don’t know what happened to all the photos the Disney photographers took but they are gone. :furious: I guess with as cursed as this trip seemed to be, I shouldn't be surprised. Day 3 came; we had planned to go to Disney Hollywood Studios. DS took DD there and DH came to pick me up at the hospital. I didn't want to spend the day all alone again so I went to DHS with everyone else. (I don’t know what was worse – going to Disney but not being able to ride any rides or sitting all alone in our condo while everyone else goes to Disney.) :sad: DH, DS and DD all rode the Tower of Terror. DD was positive she wouldn't like it, but my rule is you must ride every ride at least once – you don’t have to ride it more than that, but you must try it. It turns out that she “hated” it so much she wanted to ride it again and again. For lunch we had reservations at Mama Melrose. Oh Boy! The food was beyond delicious! For our appetizer, DH and I each had the Fresh Mozzarella and Vine-Ripened Tomatoes. DS had the Caesar Salad and DD had the mixed greens salad. For the main course, DH had the Penne alla Vodka with Chicken. I had the Penne Pasta with chicken in a four-cheese sauce. DS had the Oven-baked Chicken alla Parmigiana. DD had some gluten-free pasta. Unfortunately, they brought the food while I was in the restroom and no one took photos! For dessert, DD had a scoop of ice cream while DH, DS and I split a Chocolate Amarettini Cheesecake and some vanilla Gelato. I HIGHLY recommend this place. Next time we go to DHS, you can bet we will eat here! Things felt like home when we saw this: [/URL][/IMG] After lunch, we all went on the Great Movie Ride (I got to ride this as it is very tame!) Then the rest of the family rode on Star Wars (DD was NOT impressed!) While walking along, DH spotted the land speeder thing from Star Wars and he wanted DD to hop on. But with her not liking the Star Wars ride, she really didn't want to but after he bribed her with the promise of a Dole Whip later on in the trip, she agreed to get on and get her photo taken: http://s794.photobucket.com/user/ds...20132HaileyonLandspeeder_zps969b3021.jpg.html Finally they rode Toy Story Mania. DD LOVED this. The ride actually stopped for a short while right in front of one of the “games” and they just got to keep racking up the points. They all had incredible scores! In the late afternoon, we went to the Sci-Fi Restaurant. We heard that the food isn't that great but the desserts are good so we all got desserts. The place has such a fun ambiance! It is so cool sitting in a car just like you’re in a drive-in theater. DD had an ice cream sundae and also a “Meteor” which is just a soft drink with a glow cube in it. A bit pricey, but I can see where a little one would get a kick out of their drink glowing! DS had the “Orbiting Oreos” which is an Oreo shake mixed with Godiva Chocolate Liqueur and also a glow cube. He said it was FANTASTIC! DH had the Oreo cookie milk shake and I had a chocolate milk shake – YUMMMM! DH took DD to the ‘Honey I Shrunk the Kids’ playground. She had a BLAST! She got such a kick out of the life-size blades of grass. http://s794.photobucket.com/user/ds...leyHoneyShrunkplayground_zps93d8714c.jpg.html We wrapped up the evening by watching Fantasmic! It was really cool. Thankfully, I heard ahead of time that it can be really loud so I was prepared with ear phones for DD. She has a lot of sensory issues and loud noises can send her into a tail spin. Since she had the ear phones, she really enjoyed the evening. So I thought we’d turned a corner on this cursed trip. Little did I know that things were going to get a LOT worse in only a few hours. (Can you say, "Cliffhanger"?) ;) Have a super day everyone!

Try emailing since it seems you have some photos but not all they can use the others to try and find the rest.

CRUD! We bought the Memory Maker and we figure we took somewhere between 400 – 500 photos but when we went online to get them, there were only 97 photos. I am beyond angry because we paid for the Memory Maker so we could have all these photos and now they don’t exist. We don’t know what happened to all the photos the Disney photographers took but they are gone. :furious: I guess with as cursed as this trip seemed to be, I shouldn't be surprised. Day 3 came; we had planned to go to Disney Hollywood Studios. DS took DD there and DH came to pick me up at the hospital. I didn't want to spend the day all alone again so I went to DHS with everyone else. (I don’t know what was worse – going to Disney but not being able to ride any rides or sitting all alone in our condo while everyone else goes to Disney.) :sad: DH, DS and DD all rode the Tower of Terror. DD was positive she wouldn't like it, but my rule is you must ride every ride at least once – you don’t have to ride it more than that, but you must try it. It turns out that she “hated” it so much she wanted to ride it again and again. For lunch we had reservations at Mama Melrose. Oh Boy! The food was beyond delicious! For our appetizer, DH and I each had the Fresh Mozzarella and Vine-Ripened Tomatoes. DS had the Caesar Salad and DD had the mixed greens salad. For the main course, DH had the Penne alla Vodka with Chicken. I had the Penne Pasta with chicken in a four-cheese sauce. DS had the Oven-baked Chicken alla Parmigiana. DD had some gluten-free pasta. Unfortunately, they brought the food while I was in the restroom and no one took photos! For dessert, DD had a scoop of ice cream while DH, DS and I split a Chocolate Amarettini Cheesecake and some vanilla Gelato. I HIGHLY recommend this place. Next time we go to DHS, you can bet we will eat here! Things felt like home when we saw this: [/URL][/IMG] After lunch, we all went on the Great Movie Ride (I got to ride this as it is very tame!) Then the rest of the family rode on Star Wars (DD was NOT impressed!) While walking along, DH spotted the land speeder thing from Star Wars and he wanted DD to hop on. But with her not liking the Star Wars ride, she really didn't want to but after he bribed her with the promise of a Dole Whip later on in the trip, she agreed to get on and get her photo taken: http://s794.photobucket.com/user/ds...20132HaileyonLandspeeder_zps969b3021.jpg.html Finally they rode Toy Story Mania. DD LOVED this. The ride actually stopped for a short while right in front of one of the “games” and they just got to keep racking up the points. They all had incredible scores! In the late afternoon, we went to the Sci-Fi Restaurant. We heard that the food isn't that great but the desserts are good so we all got desserts. The place has such a fun ambiance! It is so cool sitting in a car just like you’re in a drive-in theater. DD had an ice cream sundae and also a “Meteor” which is just a soft drink with a glow cube in it. A bit pricey, but I can see where a little one would get a kick out of their drink glowing! DS had the “Orbiting Oreos” which is an Oreo shake mixed with Godiva Chocolate Liqueur and also a glow cube. He said it was FANTASTIC! DH had the Oreo cookie milk shake and I had a chocolate milk shake – YUMMMM! DH took DD to the ‘Honey I Shrunk the Kids’ playground. She had a BLAST! She got such a kick out of the life-size blades of grass. http://s794.photobucket.com/user/ds...leyHoneyShrunkplayground_zps93d8714c.jpg.html We wrapped up the evening by watching Fantasmic! It was really cool. Thankfully, I heard ahead of time that it can be really loud so I was prepared with ear phones for DD. She has a lot of sensory issues and loud noises can send her into a tail spin. Since she had the ear phones, she really enjoyed the evening. So I thought we’d turned a corner on this cursed trip. Little did I know that things were going to get a LOT worse in only a few hours. (Can you say, "Cliffhanger"?) ;) Have a super day everyone!
We were missing a bunch of ours and we emailed them and they found a whole bunch of pictures. It's at least worth a try :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter