(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you. I have seen some wonderful videos of the dinner apps. and some pictures on the dis but what I'm hearing and seeing now doesn't look like much! Please anyone going in the next couple of months give us some photo's of what is now being offered so I can put my mind (and tummy) at ease! I haven't heard it mentioned lately but please tell me they still have the champagne flowing, really hoping for a mimosa or three during our stay.

I believe loveshak will be at RPC in about a week! So I'm sure we'll get the scoop soon. ;)

I'll only be at RPC if I get some amazing pixie dust and get upgraded!! Otherwise I'll be reporting on SL!!

Here's to hoping!!

Sorry -- I should've checked which one you would be at before I said that. There are a lot of people on here that are scheduled and I can't keep it all straight! Regardless, the food should be the same, right?! I'm hoping you have a great trip and GREAT food!

Sorry -- I should've checked which one you would be at before I said that. There are a lot of people on here that are scheduled and I can't keep it all straight! Regardless, the food should be the same, right?! I'm hoping you have a great trip and GREAT food!

No worries! I can't keep it all straight either! And I was originally booked RPC until the Fall discount didn't apply to the rooms and I changed...so you may remember that conversation too!!

Our last stay at the GF RPC was in Nov. 2002. We had stayed several times before in the main building and loved it but this trip was bad from start to finish. When we checked in we were told that they were trying something new and the 5-7 night offerings were going to be wine and cheese only! The whole week we were there that's all they had out for the apps. and it was not mentioned to us before hand either. On day three my son and I got stuck between floors on the elevator and he was scared to death of elevators for the rest of the week. One cast member in particular seemed really put out to wait on us and even snapped at me once when I asked if she could get me a soda. After a couple of days we felt really uncomfortable and avoided the lounge (we were there for 10 days!) except for breakfast. We walked through the GF on our last visit and my husband wants to try it again so we will be there for three nights in Feb. before we head over to the BWI CL.

:eek: Sorry that your last RPC experience was lots less than magical....Glad thought that you are the GF another try...Hoping that it will be a new wonderful experience! :wizard:

Our summer trip so far is the Poly CL. If we did return to GF, I'd do Sugarloaf most definitely. I love my castle, but the monorail doesn't top the Epcot location. And looking at the castle and lagoon from the RPC lounge is awesome!

The lounge views are very pretty not to mention the lovely evening music to accompany the views...:cloud9:

Just wondering: The back elevator only goes down to the first floor, but cannot be take up from there?

Our trip is in January, booked for a RPC Deluxe King.
I must admit, I'll be rather disappointed with a second floor room. I'm not telling DW about the turret rooms, so she will be unaware of what we are missing.

Is it common for guests to not receive a requested turret room?

More often than not..I do think that requests are met..but sometimes..unfortunately...as in pas's case..they are not...I think this is very much influenced by the time of year and how busy the resort itself is..My recommendation is always to put your request on your reservation thru CRO AND if staying CL to be sure to contact IPO...

I did get the water, but she rolled her eyes and didn't even let me finish asking for it before she turned and walked away. I believe I said "Excuse me, can I have two bott...." I felt like I was putting her out.

:headache::faint:

Thanks friend, I hate saying anything negative, especially since all my Grand friends here have such grand experiences ;) The one CM who poured my wine each night was lovely. I told her that she was the only star in the clouds for me. She was really sweet. I also was really hoping my DH would be Wowed by the CMs at RPC but not so much. It's the little things like a good morning, or how was your day that are so special. I haven't lost hope, I think BWI will be nice :)

Really appreciated your candid review....:goodvibes We are looking forward to BWI too....:thumbsup2

Thank you :) This was my only less than magical CL stay anywhere. Our best stay yet was actually Portofino at Universal Orlando this past summer. I forgot to mention positives, we saw Richard the greeter and I finally met the Teddy Bear lady :)

Glad that you got to see Richard...He is a GF icon to us! Take pics with him every trip...:goodvibes ..bet it was fun saying HI to Lynne too...:wave:

Counting down the days until we're back in September 2016. I'll be celebrating my birthday and would REALLY love a Turret room. We are booked Deluxe King Main Building, hopefully I play all my cards right and grab one of the 6 available.

How n ice to be celebrating your brithday in a grand way!! :wizard: Enjoy!! ..As I posted above above...be sure to list your requests on your reservation..and to follow up with IPO...::yes::

I received an email yesterday about setting up my texting service for any questions or planning I needed before we arrived. The email also said I could text while there as well.

I went ahead and texted my name and arrival date and they asked me if I wanted FP and ADR reminder during our trip. I told them I didn't think I needed reminders but that I would probably like help with 4th FPs and maybe day of ADRs.

I thought that was pretty neat. I didn't think they'd start the texting service until we arrived. And I like the texting service has longer hours than the IPO office if you need something after hours.

:dance3:Let the vacation fun begin...The texting service really is so nice...Its that extra level of service that make a vacation that much more relaxing...:goodvibes

I would email your request to ipo asap. Make sure to list the birthday too!

Happy planning!!

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

We arrive in less than two weeks........hoping to see the gingerbread house and tree. Any news if the house is going up yet? It takes awhile doesn't it? It's not an overnight thing like the trees from what I understand.

No news that I have heard..but I do know from previous trips that it does take several days...and is such fun to watch going up....:thumbsup2

I'm at the 6 day mark today!! So I received my texting email yesterday, at the week mark.

The email says we can also text with general questions so I'm hoping I can text when I have questions like, 'what's the monorail schedule today?' I received an email at my 10 day mark saying the monorail is going through maintenance and to ask a CM daily if it's the best mode of transportation for our plans. I plan on texting in the morning for MK and Epcot days and asking...wonder if that's ok?

I'll check in while I'm there and let folks know if the gingerbread house is up, or under construction!

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2..The texting service is really terrific ..we have made last minute ADRs..and being able to get up to the minute transportation info is another great offering...:boat:

• thanks, blueskies, for your reply regarding the suites in the main bldg. being finished. would you happen to know if all the suites in the gf are finished being renovated? tia

You are very welcome! :goodvibes And yes all of the suites have been redone..including the signature suites...:thumbsup2

I agree with you. I have seen some wonderful videos of the dinner apps. and some pictures on the dis but what I'm hearing and seeing now doesn't look like much! Please anyone going in the next couple of months give us some photo's of what is now being offered so I can put my mind (and tummy) at ease! I haven't heard it mentioned lately but please tell me they still have the champagne flowing, really hoping for a mimosa or three during our stay.

We were just there a few weeks ago..and as I mentioned in a previous post..while some of the offerings were pared down...there were still lots of nice options..and some new and interesting ones too...~like the chilled pea soup and peach gazpacho....I took many food pics...but did not have the right size setting and am unable to get them posted in any recognizable fashion....:faint:..but on the evenings that we were in the lounge for appetizers..here are some of the items that were available...asian style chicken salad with soba noodles, mussels ragu, watermelon with feta balsamic dressing and arugula , coriander duck, baked beef tips with mushrooms encroute, pork pot stickers with a ponzu dipping sauce..each evening there were also a variety of vegetable platters available...one with carrots and celery and a ranch dip, also raw broccoli and tomatoes and a seasoned squash veggie platter too.. the cheese platter that included about 4 different cheeses....some soft spreads..and some others like a smoked gouda..this platter did also include dried cranberries and walnuts..So each evening had 3 to 4 cold appetizers..including the soups, two hot items...and the veggie and cheese platters....also some breads...a nice variety all in all....some things just not to everyone tastes...HTH...Wish that I could be sharing the pics...as pictures are so much better......

Trish You are welcome on the schedule changes.. Hope that the park hours changing didn't affect any of your plans...

Dispro Good to see you! Thanks as always.. for sharing your GF insights and experiences!

grannyminnie Hope all is well....

Hope that all of my fellow GF fans are having a super Sunday! princess: GF gal who is now feeling kinda hungry...lol... :mickeybar

Last edited:
Yes! Those hot apps sound great! Along with the other ones you mentioned too :thumbsup2. Really hoping that all of those things aren't gone now.
None were there when I was there BUT they look good!

Reactions: TJA
Awesome - I'm really hoping they keep the 4th FP texting service. In April we had this service at BC CL and it was so nice....really spoiled us and changed our trip tremendously. They got us any ride we wanted, even though it was a busy week. Then we went to Poly CL a few months later and they did not have this service -- boy were we disappointed! I should've done more research beforehand so we would've pre-known. In any event, fingers crossed that the current resorts keep the service!

Your trip must be coming right up -- really looking forward to hearing all about it!
They are still doing it as of this week :)

:eek: Sorry that your last RPC experience was lots less than magical....Glad thought that you are the GF another try...Hoping that it will be a new wonderful experience! :wizard:

The lounge views are very pretty not to mention the lovely evening music to accompany the views...:cloud9:

More often than not..I do think that requests are met..but sometimes..unfortunately...as in pas's case..they are not...I think this is very much influenced by the time of year and how busy the resort itself is..My recommendation is always to put your request on your reservation thru CRO AND if staying CL to be sure to contact IPO...

:headache::faint:

Really appreciated your candid review....:goodvibes We are looking forward to BWI too....:thumbsup2

Glad that you got to see Richard...He is a GF icon to us! Take pics with him every trip...:goodvibes ..bet it was fun saying HI to Lynne too...:wave:

How n ice to be celebrating your brithday in a grand way!! :wizard: Enjoy!! ..As I posted above above...be sure to list your requests on your reservation..and to follow up with IPO...::yes::

:dance3:Let the vacation fun begin...The texting service really is so nice...Its that extra level of service that make a vacation that much more relaxing...:goodvibes

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

No news that I have heard..but I do know from previous trips that it does take several days...and is such fun to watch going up....:thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2..The texting service is really terrific ..we have made last minute ADRs..and being able to get up to the minute transportation info is another great offering...:boat:

You are very welcome! :goodvibes And yes all of the suites have been redone..including the signature suites...:thumbsup2

We were just there a few weeks ago..and as I mentioned in a previous post..while some of the offerings were pared down...there were still lots of nice options..and some new and interesting ones too...~like the chilled pea soup and peach gazpacho....I took many food pics...but did not have the right size setting and am unable to get them posted in any recognizable fashion....:faint:..but on the evenings that we were in the lounge for appetizers..here are some of the items that were available...asian style chicken salad with soba noodles, mussels ragu, watermelon with feta balsamic dressing and arugula , coriander duck, baked beef tips with mushrooms encroute, pork pot stickers with a ponzu dipping sauce..each evening there were also a variety of vegetable platters available...one with carrots and celery and a ranch dip, also raw broccoli and tomatoes and a seasoned squash veggie platter too.. the cheese platter that included about 4 different cheeses....some soft spreads..and some others like a smoked gouda..this platter did also include dried cranberries and walnuts..So each evening had 3 to 4 cold appetizers..including the soups, two hot items...and the veggie and cheese platters....also some breads...a nice variety all in all....some things just not to everyone tastes...HTH...Wish that I could be sharing the pics...as pictures are so much better......

Trish You are welcome on the schedule changes.. Hope that the park hours changing didn't affect any of your plans...

Dispro Good to see you! Thanks as always.. for sharing your GF insights and experiences!

grannyminnie Hope all is well....

Hope that all of my fellow GF fans are having a super Sunday! princess: GF gal who is now feeling kinda hungry...lol... :mickeybar
BlueSkies thanks for this! We have dinner plans for every night and just plan to stop at the lounge for a quick glass of wine and some apps. while we listen to the music and chilling for a bit. I'm just wanting to be wowed by what used to be my favorite resort and I'm really hoping for the best.

HI GF friends. I'm catching up here and reading about RPC. Very disappointed to hear that it has gone down hill a bit. I love Denny! His brother lives not too far from where DH grew up. You really get to know CMs after a while. Glad to hear Richard is doing well too. Is the "Teddy Bear Lady" (Lynn) still around? She was such a nice lady to talk with.

I'm still going over in my head about the food offerings in RPC and SL. Maybe they change for the season and don't have as many out as in the summer months? With the price of what you are paying, it should reflect it in what you receive.

Have a Grand day my friends.

HI GF friends. I'm catching up here and reading about RPC. Very disappointed to hear that it has gone down hill a bit. I love Denny! His brother lives not too far from where DH grew up. You really get to know CMs after a while. Glad to hear Richard is doing well too. Is the "Teddy Bear Lady" (Lynn) still around? She was such a nice lady to talk with.

I'm still going over in my head about the food offerings in RPC and SL. Maybe they change for the season and don't have as many out as in the summer months? With the price of what you are paying, it should reflect it in what you receive.

I think all the CL are just getting standard with the offerings overall. It seems they are fairly similar across the board. I wrote an email this morning I was very honest but kind. I say Lynn last Thursday (I forgot her name, my bad :( ) She was a sweetie, and Denny is the best!

Forgot who asked... A friend on FB posted the Gingerbread house construction has started!

BlueSkies thanks for this! We have dinner plans for every night and just plan to stop at the lounge for a quick glass of wine and some apps. while we listen to the music and chilling for a bit. I'm just wanting to be wowed by what used to be my favorite resort and I'm really hoping for the best.
You will love having a glass of wine and hearing the band!!! You can also stare at the lagoon, so pretty in the evening (and morning)

I posted pix for TJA on the club level thread if interested.
Who doesn't love Denny?????:flower1:

Someone just posted the Gingerbread House construction started this morning.
http://www.disboards.com/threads/grand-floridian-gingerbread-house.3461240/page-2#post-54705119

For those new, it takes days to set up and is fun to watch. Then they have an official opening date later. However before then it will be up and you can see, smell and take pictures with it. The store inside of it doesn't "open" until official date.

Should be partially up enough for me this week! Woo hoo.:santa: Or should I say "ho ho"!

Last edited:
Does the gingerbread house go up the same date every year?

I understand that the decs go up on different dates each year.

I am a few days away from being able to say ' this time next year I will be at the grand ' :goodvibes

It's my first stay and would LOVE to walk in and the gingerbread house be up. Actually I'm gonna LOVE just walking in there standard! :bitelip:

My aunt was a housekeeper at WDW for 14 years. Yes, they were meant for guests to take home. The towels used to make the animals are towels that are going to be taken out of "service" due to fraying, looking ragged etc. That's why they were not always left for guests because there had to be some that were going to be "retired". Not only did there need to be towels available to be made, the housekeeper had to have the time to make them up. They were always meant to be something special, not expected. And as the guests started complaining that they are paying $$$ for the room or tipping $$$ and not getting towels animals every day, they have decided to stop the practice. Though there still are some housekeepers that enjoy doing it so much that they will still do it. But as a whole, they are not encouraged to any longer.

Thank you for that clarification. I always suspected that it was something the mousekeeper would do if she/he had time, but never knew about the frayed aspect. Good to know. :)

Does the gingerbread house go up the same date every year?

I understand that the decs go up on different dates each year.

I am a few days away from being able to say ' this time next year I will be at the grand ' :goodvibes

It's my first stay and would LOVE to walk in and the gingerbread house be up. Actually I'm gonna LOVE just walking in there standard! :bitelip:
Well I often go to WDW in November. It seems the gingerbread house goes up in mid November with the official opening around the 15-19th. Even years I go for thansksging I would keep an eye on the progress. Therefore you should expect a decent chance it will go up this time again next year.

FYI I have only seen it taken down once. The last Sunday of the New Years weekend in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter