(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried earplanes? They fit in your ears to regulate pressure and really work for our family when joined with Afrin/and or a tablet decongestant(obviously check with your doctor before giving to your child). Earplanes are sold in child and adult sizes.
Are they any different than the squishy earplugs you can buy? Or those squishy ear bud type headphones for your phone or notebook?
I always take a decongestant before flying to Florida, But flight is 6 hrs so sometimes wears off before landing. My sinus can really get painful on takeoff or descent . Can feel like head is exploding. And sometimes, nothing

Last edited:
Are they any different than the squishy earplugs you can buy? Or those squishy ear bud type headphones for your phone or notebook?
I always take a decongestant before flying to Florida, But flight is 6 hrs so sometimes wears off before landing. My sinus can really get painful on takeoff or decent. Can feel like head is exploding. And sometimes, nothing

They are far more rigid and have grooves. They are not very comfortable, but better than the alternative if you have severe eustachian tube problems. I have one that prefers the Flight Mate brand they don't have grooves but a flared end. One seems to work better and be more comfortable for most people. They are not dreadfully expensive so you may want to try both. I have found the best price on Amazon.

They are far more rigid and have grooves. They are not very comfortable, but better than the alternative if you have severe eustachian tube problems. I have one that prefers the Flight Mate brand they don't have grooves but a flared end. One seems to work better and be more comfortable for most people. They are not dreadfully expensive so you may want to try both. I have found the best price on Amazon.
Thanks Baler. I prob wouldn't wear them for entire flight, just the take off or descent part. I'll look for them here (Canada).

Thanks Baler. I prob wouldn't wear them for entire flight, just the take off or descent part. I'll look for them here (Canada).

Take off and descent is the most common usage. One of my children and myself have to wear them the entire duration of flights. However, we have severe and chronic eustachian tube dysfunction. We also add Afrin(unless you have a contraindication, and don't use for more than 2-3days)seems to work better than sudafed for this problem(for us anyway).

DH asked me to check availability for the first week of December. I'm not sure if Disney is THAT full or there is an issue with the website but we are looking elsewhere. With such low availability, I found the Hilton 72 hour sale that includes both Bonnet Creek Hilton and Waldorf Astoria Orlando. We have stayed at both and the rooms are very nice! It ends the 24th though.

Not trying to chase people out of Disney but a deal is a deal :D

I'll be visiting the Grand this weekend (staying at BWI so just passing through) and will grab a few pictures for everyone!

Happy Planning and have a Great Wednesday!

Liz

I second the EarPlanes. My ears don't ever seem to pop. The first time I flew I had a migraine by the time we landed due to the pressure. The Southwest gate agent recommended the EarPlanes to me. I couldn't imagine flying without the EarPlanes.

Take off and descent is the most common usage. One of my children and myself have to wear them the entire duration of flights. However, we have severe and chronic eustachian tube dysfunction. We also add Afrin(unless you have a contraindication, and don't use for more than 2-3days)seems to work better than sudafed for this problem(for us anyway).
I will definitely check into these! DD11's ears hurt the entire flight, but the descent is definitely the worst part for her...she cries the whole way down:( If those earplanes work for our October trip, maybe we can actually plan a trip with a longer flight (Hawaii, Europe, etc). It sounds like you've been to some wonderful places!

Thanks for the EarPlanes recommendation! My boyfriend has been nervous about the plane ride to and from WDW (we're from Maine so it's about a 3 hour flight) because of the pain he gets in his ears during flights. I'm going to pick him up a pair today and hope they work for him-- plus it's a win-win for him: (hopefully) no pain in his ears and he'll have something to block out me talking about WDW the entire 3 hour flight:rolleyes1:rotfl2:

I actually grew up in the Nashville area and my parents still live there!! When I lived in Cincinnati Delta had a hub there as well and it really hurt us for direct flights when they merged. Then everything was flying through Atlanta and Minneapolis! It makes for loooooong trips!!
My parents lived in Nashville part-time for the last ten years until my dad retired recently. I love it there! We still go to Nashville sometimes just for fun (concerts, shopping at Opry Mills). I've never stayed at Opryland Gaylord because we always take our dog when we go, but it is supposedly gorgeous at Christmastime...nothing like Disney, however! I can hardly wait to see Disney decorated for the holidays again... It's been 3 years since we've been in December. I have no idea when the kids will get to see Disney decorated for the holidays again:( Disney stops doing the Christmas parties about the time school gets out for Christmas, and the party is the best part IMO! At least they'll get to do the Halloween party. It has become a tradition for us. I hope you are excited for your upcoming SL stay. Are you doing any parties?

Does anyone happen to know if all of the suites at the GF have been renovated? Specifically, I'm wondering if the 1 Bedroom suites in Sugarloaf have been renovated. I thought I heard a rumor that they weren't going to be done.

Afrin is a nasal spray? Never thought of this. My pain is in the sinus cavity in left temple area.

Have you signed up for email specials from Hawaiian airlines? I've seen flights for around $500 from Chicago and NY when I quickly browse their emails. I'm from CA and reg rates are around $700-800 but the email specials are half that so that's when I go.

Also, Sign up for Alaska airlines email specials. I've seen great rates from them too.
I love Alaska! We fly from Seattle.

So I finally found a reservation for tea at the Grand Floridian! Yay! It'll be myself, my husband, and our 4.5 year old. She's going to love the tea! Question.... It's not the perfectly princess tea party, but can she wear a princess costume anyway? We can definitely just do a nice dress, but I know she's going to want to go princess.....
Why not??? Dd 20 wears a pretty Lilly Pulitzer dress cause she wants to dress up too! At gf it is common to see girls in princess ensemblesprincess:

Afrin is a nasal spray? Never thought of this. My pain is in the sinus cavity in left temple area.
OTC nasal spray and for us works like magic. However, use it very sparingly, it has a rebound effect if used too often. And it works so well it can be addictive for those with very severe and chronic sinus issues. We try to use it for trips and our worst sinus episodes. Limiting it the 2-3 every 2-3 months.

Does anyone happen to know if all of the suites at the GF have been renovated? Specifically, I'm wondering if the 1 Bedroom suites in Sugarloaf have been renovated. I thought I heard a rumor that they weren't going to be done.

They were just starting on the outer building suites when we were there in June. I was told it was going to take quite some time and would be quite awhile before they started the main building. I do not know about SL but they had just started in Conch Key. We stayed in a 2br in RPC recently and it was very dated looking. Keep in mind it was nothing special as those are really just 3 standards put together and the decor was just the same but it was really showing its age and needed a refurb long ago.

If you have to I would book 2 rooms over a suite until the reno is done.

We love Alaska airlines too. Direct Flights from San Diego to Orlando is under $300 and under $500 for first class.
I booked their direct flight RT for $400 from Seattle for August. Maybe they charge more cause it's a multi city ticket? We fly into Ft Lauderdale & home from MCO. Used $99 companion fare for dd with Alaska MC perk!
But never saw first class for $500. At 24hr check in on occasion we were able to score First Class for the $125 up charge.

They were just starting on the outer building suites when we were there in June. I was told it was going to take quite some time and would be quite awhile before they started the main building. I do not know about SL but they had just started in Conch Key. We stayed in a 2br in RPC recently and it was very dated looking. Keep in mind it was nothing special as those are really just 3 standards put together and the decor was just the same but it was really showing its age and needed a refurb long ago.

If you have to I would book 2 rooms over a suite until the reno is done.

Excellent advice. Many thanks!

My parents lived in Nashville part-time for the last ten years until my dad retired recently. I love it there! We still go to Nashville sometimes just for fun (concerts, shopping at Opry Mills). I've never stayed at Opryland Gaylord because we always take our dog when we go, but it is supposedly gorgeous at Christmastime...nothing like Disney, however! I can hardly wait to see Disney decorated for the holidays again... It's been 3 years since we've been in December. I have no idea when the kids will get to see Disney decorated for the holidays again:( Disney stops doing the Christmas parties about the time school gets out for Christmas, and the party is the best part IMO! At least they'll get to do the Halloween party. It has become a tradition for us. I hope you are excited for your upcoming SL stay. Are you doing any parties?

Nashville is a great city and the Opryland Gaylord is gorgeous and at Christmas it's fantastic! We're not sure about the MCMVP yet. I think I'd like the Halloween party more than the Christmas party but we've not done either...I'm still on the fence. I think the party would be fun but when I was telling my DH about the Christmas parades he looked at me like he thought it was pretty lame! Maybe if we ever have kids I can get him excited for parades and Disney parties :rotfl:

I booked their direct flight RT for $400 from Seattle for August. Maybe they charge more cause it's a multi city ticket? We fly into Ft Lauderdale & home from MCO. Used $99 companion fare for dd with Alaska MC perk!
But never saw first class for $500. At 24hr check in on occasion we were able to score First Class for the $125 up charge.

I love scoring decent priced upgrades at the gate!! Although that seems rare for me these days!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest