2-8-07 or How the DIS created a DCL Expert/Addict:Chap 23 Up! TR Done!

Thanks so much for all the wonderful pictures and great tips on this thread! I was especially interested when I read the ages of your girls - my two girls will be 5 and 7 next May when we are planning our first cruise, a 7 night Western Caribbean. I am so glad I found the Dis so far in advance. :thumbsup2 One question for you... you mentioned your girls didn't go to the kids' clubs, was this because you didn't have time or were they just not really that interested in the activities?

My older DD will be almost 8, which is upper end of the age range for that age group. I'm somewhat concerned that she won't be that interested in the 3-7 age group's activities, and we're planning the 7 night cruise, so I think we'll definitely want her to go to the kids' club at some point! Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Just found and read this entire report - wonderful!! You have a great sense of humor and what's even better - your devotion and love for your family shows through with the recounting of each event! Congrats on your great trip and beautiful family!

Thanks so much. I have really good kids and a great wife! We had so much fun and can't wait to go back! Sadly though, it looks like it won't be till 2009 but hey, then I can get work up about it that far in advance AGAIN!:lmao:

Thanks so much for all the wonderful pictures and great tips on this thread! I was especially interested when I read the ages of your girls - my two girls will be 5 and 7 next May when we are planning our first cruise, a 7 night Western Caribbean. I am so glad I found the Dis so far in advance. :thumbsup2 One question for you... you mentioned your girls didn't go to the kids' clubs, was this because you didn't have time or were they just not really that interested in the activities?

My older DD will be almost 8, which is upper end of the age range for that age group. I'm somewhat concerned that she won't be that interested in the 3-7 age group's activities, and we're planning the 7 night cruise, so I think we'll definitely want her to go to the kids' club at some point! Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

We didn't have time. All the stuff we wanted to do was family together type stuff. For us, on a 3 night, there just wasn't the time. I think they would really take to the clubs. We actually got to the door way of the club on our first day. They were closing it down for the lifeboat drill! My oldest told me towards the end of the trip that she wanted to go to the club. I asked what she would have given up to go, she couldn't come up with an answer! That is the great thing about this cruise, you can do as much or as little together as you like and the kids are going to have a blast either way! Have fun planning! Thanks for the questions and the kind comments!

If you daughters really like/need to be around each other they will most likely have a blast together in the club. If you feel they need some time apart ask the counsellors if you can move your older daughter up to the next level. They have some flexibility to do that based on the kid.

Wow...I can't believe I never saw this thread til tonight! Great report, but I would have been suffering big time waiting for each installment. Glad I got to read it all at one time! We just took our DS on his first plane ride too for our western cruise, only he's 23! It's nice to see the cruise from someone with small kids point of view. Now you have to take them to WDW. We had our first trip after our cruise and it was the best!

Wow...I can't believe I never saw this thread til tonight! Great report, but I would have been suffering big time waiting for each installment. Glad I got to read it all at one time! We just took our DS on his first plane ride too for our western cruise, only he's 23! It's nice to see the cruise from someone with small kids point of view. Now you have to take them to WDW. We had our first trip after our cruise and it was the best!

Thanks soo much! I am glad you got to read it! Thanks for giving up your evening for it! As far as going to WDW I don't think it is in the cards. We have become cruise snobs!:snooty: We like the pace of the cruise and the value of the cruise. Maybe one day but out next Mouse visit will be a 7 day most likely.

Its funny how you can get really wrapped up in the DCL thing. My wife and watched Extreme Makeover this Sunday and they sent the family on the Wonder while the house was being done. They showed some shots of the pier and on the ship. My wife and I said to each other at the same time, "Hey, that's OUR ship!" :lmao:

ashman,
Thank you, thank you, thank you for such a wonderful TR filled with wit and pixie dust. I too just now stumbled upon it and was glad to get to read it all at once. I don't know if I could have waited for the installments, they were so good. I expecially loved the report and picture of you dancing with your beautiful daughters when the Once Upon A Dream song from Sleeping Beauty was playing. :goodvibes I admit I shed a tear.

Thanks LG3, I really like that shot too. My favorite part of it was my wife caught us it wasn't posed or pre-done, just a special moment captured in digital form. The sad/scary part is the girls have already outgrown those dresses!

Ashman:

So your trippie and a few others have definitely got me craving a cruise!! We just got back from WDW in April....so it will be at least a year before we can take another big vacation again.

I think I remember from the beginning of this thread that you said you planned this trip way in advance and got a good deal. Can you give me any tips on getting a good price on the cruises? We would need a room that sleeps five - which I think is Cat 4??? And we'd want to do at least 4 nights, but potentially the 7 night or land and sea one. I didn't know if those details mattered or not.....but any tips on getting a good deal would be wonderful.

Jill

Book your cabin as soon as possible. This prices of a Disney Cruise go in only one direction, up! :lmao: As soon as you know when you want to go, book it. We are thinking maybe going again in 2009, so as soon as those dates come out, we will book it. If you have 5 you have two choices, book a Ca 4 room or higher or book two rooms in a lower category. Each has their pros and cons, if you post a thread on this in the main forum you can get a wide range of input and opinions. If it were me, I would want the Cat 4 with th veranda but you may want two rooms for two tubs and two tolits for your crew. Good luck and have fun planning!

Thanks - we are prob looking at going in 2009 as well. When do you expect those dates to come out?

Also - do you book online, via a travel agent, on the phone??

And finally - so I don't have to keep bothering poor you - obviously I am new to DCL and actually to cruising in general - is there a book out you suggest?

Thanks for all your help!

Your questions cover a wide range of opinions especially your second one, I will give you my opinion but I encourage you to spend a lot of time in the main forum. I got a ton of information just lurking there and even more by posting specific questions.

1) 2009 Dates- There are plenty of rumors/opinions with that one. Since the Magic is in the Med this summer and on the West Coast next summer, many (especially us east-coasters) are real itchy to see the 2009 dates in hopes that the Magic will be in the Caribbean. In the past the dates for at least the first quarter of the year come out around late fall (Sept/Oct) the release of the rest of the year dependant on special itineraries. Stay tuned to the DIS, it is the best source of info.

2) This is really a matter of personal preference. Neither had any real benefit as far as price but others may have different perks (like On board credit that sort of thing) but the perks are getting fewer and fewer so there is little difference. If you are fairly 'net savvy' you can do it yourself online but I would research some threads concerning internet booking for some issues that have come up in the past. Booking directly with DCL helps in that there is no middle-man, just you and the mouse. Some DCL vets prefer this route as they often know more about the process than the agents. The only main disadvantage that I see here is if there is a problem it is you vs the mouse. I prefer booking with a live local agent. Even if I can get a perk somewhere online, I like being able to look at a person face to face. My agent picks on me because she says I know more about DCL than she does, she even refers to me as her "DCL Desk"! That said I like having a professional with whom I have a relationship with be involved with the booking of the cruise. If there is problem, she and her agency goes to bat for me. Hasn't happen yet but I'm glad she is there.

3) The problem with books is they get outdated very quickly sometimes even before they get printed. I got all my info from the DIS. That said the one book I have seen recommended universally as the best is Passporter.

Good luck, feel free to ask any more questions, play around in the main forum, and have a great time planning your vacation! It is my pleasure to help a new cruiser, I certainly got a ton and there are folks on here who can run circles around me with knowledge, experience, and advice. It is part of what I love about this community so much!

3) The problem with books is they get outdated very quickly sometimes even before they get printed. I got all my info from the DIS. That said the one book I have seen recommended universally as the best is Passporter.

The Passporter does have a few items here and there that are outdated, but very little. I read the DIS boards constantly, and felt like the Birnbaum book which I used before my first cruise had only information that I had already found by reading the boards. I got my Passporter since then, and really wish I had that one the first time. It gives a lot of detailed information, and it is quite obvious that the writers were given a great deal of access throughout the ship when doing research.

I really don't remember much being outdated though. The main one I can remember is that they had the dining rotations from before they changed them, which was just done a few months ago.

Jill and Planner thanks so much glad you enjoyed it. Now, lets get those 2009 dates out so I can start on my next trip!

Ashman...

We need to keep this thread going if for nothing else than the SHUB PICTURE!!!!!!!!!! :yay: :yay: :yay:

Just found your trippie, Ashman! It's GREAT! I LOVED the surprise announcement at Christmas - that was perfect!

Linda, thanks it was a blast, the only fear I have is the inevitable let down at Christmas this year! Glad you enjoyed it!

Tink- Well the Shub is immortilized in my Avatar but its cool to keep it going!

I really enjoyed reading your TR this evening. It sure beat watching some :happytv: I always love reading TR's written from the male perspective and hearing how much they love the Princesses in their lives. princess: Thank you for sharing the tales of your family vacation. You have a lovely family and they are blessed to have you!

Thanks JD! I think we are all blessed! God has given me a great family, I love them dearly. The cruise was a blast and we can't wait to go again. The girls are having a slight disagrement though. Sweet Child wants to go on all thr cruises in order (so the 4 day is next) Mini Me wants to go for the gusto lets hop to the 7 day. (Good thing she doesn't know you can do them back to back!:scared1: ). Somehow I don't think they will have a problem either way, just so long as we go back.:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter