• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Zucchini Recipes

Wow - this is so fab! :cool1: We have a bumper crop of zuc's this year, and all I have done is sliced and steamed.

Subbing with thanks! :worship:

Love all these recipes, but ... all the good ones use the oven, it is too humid and sticky here to use the oven, how about that idea of frezzing the shreds, does that work ?:confused3

I've been a lurker for ages, but finally signed up so I could post this zucchini recipe--my family really likes it. It originally came out of Real Simple magazine.

Zucchini Pie

3 c grated zucchini
1 small onion chopped
1 c all-purpose flour
1 c grated provolone
4 tbsp grated fresh parmesean
3 eggs beaten
1/4 c vegetable oil
2 tsp chopped fresh basil
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Preheat over to 350. Combine ingredients in a large bowl, reserving 1 tbsp of parm cheese. Spoon zucchini mixture into a 10" round pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake 45-50 min or until golden brown. Sprinkle with reserved parm. Cool 10-15 minutes before slicing. Serves 6
:welcome:

I use ground flax seed instead of oil in my zucchini bread......way less fattening and still so delicious! Fiber warning :eek:

I slice it into 1/4" inch circles then half those - add yellow squash cut the same way - Spinkle this combo with salt, pepper and spray with a little butter substitute. I cook it in the microwave in the Ziplock steam bags ( I love these too). It tastes like fresh vegetables from a restaurant! Don't overcook!;)

Here's another:

Zucchini BreadLow Calorie Recipe
Ingredients:
1-1/2 cup unbleached flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup zucchini, unpeeled and grated
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
1 egg white, whipped
1/2 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
Recipe makes 16 servings.
Directions:
Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Prepare pan a 8 x 4 x 2-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and flour; set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, and baking powder. In another mixing bowl, combine zucchini, sour cream, egg white, and lemon peel. Mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients just until moistened. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 60 minutes.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories: 92

DH just came home from his garden---he's part of a town organic garden---with so much zucchini I can't believe it. I made zucchini pumpkin muffins yesterday, but last night's crop brings it to a whole new level. I will be definitely be checking out Gardengalco's zucchini and beef recipe. Maymom---the sour cream in your zucchini bread recipe looks like it would make the texture awesome!

I used zucchini last night in a meal, I sauteed it along with yellow squash a little onion, garlic and olive oil then I added a puree of sundried tomatos and fresh basil and about 1/2 cup jarred tomato sauce. I boiled some cheese torellini and added it, stirred in some salt and topped with parmasean, it was really good! and no oven!:thumbsup2

DH just came home from his garden---he's part of a town organic garden---with so much zucchini I can't believe it. I made zucchini pumpkin muffins yesterday, but last night's crop brings it to a whole new level. I will be definitely be checking out Gardengalco's zucchini and beef recipe. Maymom---the sour cream in your zucchini bread recipe looks like it would make the texture awesome!

Oh and I use sour cream in my banana bread (a Martha Stewart recipe) and it makes it so moist!
:lovestruc I'll have to try the zucchini bread one!

Stuffed Zucchini- Very good and very easy to make. I can't wait for my zucchini to grow.

2-3 large zucchini's
2 eggs
1 loaf of cubed bread- I cube the bread myself
Parmesian cheese 1/2 cup
1/2 cup chopped onion
The Zucchini GUTS ( seeds and such)

take large zucchin's and cut in half
Boil until almost cooked
Slice in half the other way- long
Take the GUTS (seeds and such) out and save. Take the zucchine and place in a baking dish- outside of zucchini down.

cube bread- 1 loaf per 3 zucchini
Add the cube bread to the GUTS
Add 2 eggs
Add parms. cheese ( about 1/2 cup)
Add chopped onion
Mix together with hands. The stuffing should be moist. If not you may add some chicken broth.

Take the stuffing mix and place on top of zucchine in baking dish. Add butter to the top. Put about 1" of water on the bottome of baking dish. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

This is a great thread!

ANybody ever make the zucchini bread with out the cinammon? I thought I had one with out?

averill94 - sorry, I have one with 1/4 tsp. of cinnamon.

We have TONS of zucchini. I know I could freeze grated zucchini and use it in bread and/or I could make casseroles and freeze them - but, is there an easy way to preserve (freeze/can) zucchini to use in "meal type" recipes in the winter????

Freezing:

Best Freezing Method(s):
Unblanched Slices (great for stir fry):
Wash and drain zucchini. Pat dry. Trim ends and cut into 1/4 inch slices. Pack in suitable containers. Seal, label and freeze.
Boilable Bags:
Wash and drain. Pat dry. Trim ends and cut into 1/4 inch slices. Pack in boilable bags, press out air and seal. Blanch in boiling water (4 bags at a time for 5 minutes. Cool bags and pat dry. Label and freeze.
Tray Packs (great breaded and fried):
Wash and drain. Cut into 1/2 inch slices and place unblanched in a single layer on a baking sheet. Tray-freeze until firm. Transfer to suitable containers. Seal, label and freeze.
Sautéed Zucchini:
Sauté and package, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Seal and freeze. Sauté gently in a little melted butter until barely tender. Cool, pack into plastic containers leaving headspace at the top. Freeze up to 3 months
Grated Zucchini (great for baking):
Wash and grate zucchini. Steam-blanch for 1 to 2 minutes until translucent. Cool. Pack pre-measured amounts into containers and seal leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Label and freeze.
Suitable Packaging:
Freezer containers should be moisture and vapor resistant and should not be prone to cracking or breaking at low temperatures. Containers should provide protection against absorbing flavors or odors and should be easy to label. Suitable packaging for freezing zucchini includes freezer-grade plastic bags, rigid plastic containers, glass containers, heavy-duty aluminum foil or foil containers.
Maximum Storage Time at 0ºF:
Unblanched slices-4 to 6 months; blanched-10 to 12 months.
Thawing:
Add frozen zucchini directly to dishes while cooking.
Tips & Shortcuts:
All summer squash can be prepared for freezing in a similar way.
Refrigerating Zucchini:
Store in a perforated plastic bag for up to 1 week. Do not wash until ready to use.

Here in New Mexico, a dish called "Calabacitas" is a very popular zucchini dish. It is really easy to make and is super yummy! Make sure your green chile (if you have it available where you live -- we can get it fresh here in a few more weeks) is grown in the US and not Mexico due to the salmonella issue.

Calabacitas (Sauteed Zucchini)

Ingredients:

1 cup frozen corn (or canned, drained)
2 cups diced green chilies (roasted and peeled, fresh or frozen)
2 medium zucchini diced into very small cubes
2/3 cup chopped onion
2 small cloves garlic, minced (or ½ teaspoon garlic powder)
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
olive oil or cooking oil

Directions:

Combine all zucchini & garlic in a large frying or medium saucepan in a small amount of oil. Cook on medium heat for 3 minutes. Add other ingredients and simmer until tender.

Another easy thing I do is slice the zucchini length-wise, brush or spray on olive oil, garlic salt & pepper. Wrap in foil and place on the grill (or in the oven) until tender.

This is the only recipe that I use for zucchini bread... it's sooooo good.

Mom's Zucchini Bread

INGREDIENTS
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 1/4 cups white sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS
Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.

OK this one has been handed down from my granny.
Chop zucchini in like 1/4 inch circles. Throw them in a medium size sauce pot in about an inch of water. Add a tablespoon of butter, salt & pepper.
Add some diced tomatoes (I usually use one large tomato from garden), some chopped onion (maybe a 1/4 med size onion), italian seasoning (you can use fresh basil &/or oregano...), tablespoon of tomato paste & tablespoon of sugar. You can add garlic powder & oinion powder if you like. Just stew them together. Takes about 1/2 hour simmering on medium heat.
I am terrible at measuring so it never comes out the same way twice. Sometimes I leave out the sugar when the tomatoes are sweet.
Enjoy!

I watched Iron Chef this past week and the main ingredient was zucchini. All recipes looked ohhh sooo goood! I wish I were one of the judges. I would imagine that the recipes are on foodnetwork.com.

Okay I am bumping up the thread. Two more months of fresh zucchini, so more recipes would be greatly appreciated. Diane

Oh my all the zucchini bread recipe's....i am going to try one tomorrow. Everything sounds delicious!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter