• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Zucchini Recipes

I've been cooking it in my scrambled eggs. Chop it up, add some cheese, ham, chives, eggs and scamble away.

Zucchini Casserole

Boil & Drain 3# of sliced or cubed zucchini til clear
In a frying pan, saute one large onion chopped/julienned in 1/4 cup butter/margarine. When onion is clear add 1/2# sliced mushrooms. Continue to heat til mushrooms are done. Take off the heat.

In a large mixing bowl mix 2 tbsp melted butter/margarine, 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, 1 tsp. season salt and one cup sour cream. Add onion & mushrooms, stir. Add drained zucchini and stir again.

Transfer and even into a 9 x 13 pan. In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and 1/3 cup bread crumbs. Sprinkle on top of casserole.

Cook at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes (bubbly and browned)

Zucchini Bread

Combine in a seperate bowl 3 1/2 cups flour, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp nutmeg, set aside.

In a large bowl add 1 cup vegetable/canola oil, 3 eggs, 2 cups grated zucchini, and 2 cups sugar. Mix until combined. Add 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp salt, and 2 tsp baking soda. Mix until combined. Slowly add and mix dry ingredients into wet. Add one cup any type chop nuts if you like them.

Pour into a large loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 75 minutes - toothpick will come out clean when stuck into the highest part of the loaf.

Zucchini Squash Julienne

1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
1 tbsp butter, margarine, or olive oil
3 medium zucchini, cut into 2" julienne strips
1 medium red bell pepper chopped fine

In a large skillet, cook scallions in the butter or oil over medium heat, stirring until soft. Add zucchini, bell pepper, salt & pepper to taste. Stir until veggies are tender (5-10 minutes)

Zucchini Parmesian

2-3 large zucchini cut into cubes
2 tomatoes cubed (I dispose of the seeds)
1 medium onion sliced thin
2 cloves garlic chopped small
1/3 cup water

Place all of the above items and cook over medium heat until the zucchini is tender and the onions are clear. Drain any additional liquid from veggies.
Sprinkle 1/2 cup parmesian cheese on top, cover and let melt. Enjoy!!

We've been chopping up zucchini in slices and putting in foil on the grill along with onions, a little olive oil, garlic and tomatoes... yum, yum.

Squash Medley
2 slices diced bacon
1 medium chopped onion
3 medium sized yellow squash, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
1 medium zucchini squash, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
2 medium tomatoes, cut into eighths
1 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/2 t. basil leaves
1/2 t. sugar

Fry bacon in large skillet until almost crisp. Add onions, squash and tomatoes, sprinkle with remaining ingredients. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring several times.

1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup water
1 egg

In medium mixing bowl, mix all the above until smooth. Dip sliced zucchini in batter and fry in 1/2 inch hot oil till golden brown. This recipe will cover 12-15" cut in 1/3" slices.

I was just drooling today as we passed a farm stand and saw zucchini season started... I LOVE ZUCCHINI BREAD!!! I can never make and freeze enough of it to last... this year I have a food processor so I am going to make a year's worth!!!
BOB

I read somewhere that you can grate the zucchini for the bread and freeze it in the amount that your recipe calls for. Then when you're ready to make the bread in the winter just thaw it out. I am trying that this year to see how it works. It is not quite as much work as making batches and batches of zucchini bread.

I remember one from a long time ago that had potatoes, beans, onion, cheese, bacon (?) and zucchani but I don't know if it was cooked on the stove top or in the oven.

What about a ratatoui style dish? Sliced zucchani and eggplant alternating in a casserole dish with a tomato sauce. You can probably "bake" it in the microwave. I have to say, I don't use a lot of recipes I just put stuff together and taste as I go along, so this is really a bare-bones fill-in-the-balnk recipe suggestion.

I slice the zucchini & used kinda like lasanga noodles. layer it with a tomato meat sauce & mozz cheese. and bake it

Kae

Oven fixed:
about 4 small zucchini, sliced and/or diced
1 large can of diced tomatoes
bread crumbs
shredded mozerella cheese
parmasian cheese (optional)
pepper
basil

I mix all the ingrediants and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. I like the bread crumbs in it because it absorbs some of the moisture from the zucchini. Sorry I don't have exact amounts, I just throw it together.

Grilled:
slice zucchini lengthwise (1/4 inch thick)
mix 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 tbsp basil, 1 tsp oregano, dash pepper

place on hot grill, brush with olive oil mixture, turn and brush every 3-5 minutes. grill about 15 minutes, more if thicker, less if thinner.

OP - great idea for a thread!!!! We get overloaded with zucchini from our garden each summer. Being able to use them creatively is a great budget idea for us. If we get bored with the same old thing, they go to waste.

I slice the zucchini & used kinda like lasanga noodles. layer it with a tomato meat sauce & mozz cheese. and bake it

Kae
Thanks for all the ideas
How long and at what temp do you bake it? Sorry dummy at cooking here;)

I've been a lurker for ages, but finally signed up so I could post this zucchini recipe--my family really likes it. It originally came out of Real Simple magazine.

Zucchini Pie

3 c grated zucchini
1 small onion chopped
1 c all-purpose flour
1 c grated provolone
4 tbsp grated fresh parmesean
3 eggs beaten
1/4 c vegetable oil
2 tsp chopped fresh basil
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Preheat over to 350. Combine ingredients in a large bowl, reserving 1 tbsp of parm cheese. Spoon zucchini mixture into a 10" round pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake 45-50 min or until golden brown. Sprinkle with reserved parm. Cool 10-15 minutes before slicing. Serves 6

I've been a lurker for ages, but finally signed up so I could post this zucchini recipe--my family really likes it. It originally came out of Real Simple magazine.

Zucchini Pie

3 c grated zucchini
1 small onion chopped
1 c all-purpose flour
1 c grated provolone
4 tbsp grated fresh parmesean
3 eggs beaten
1/4 c vegetable oil
2 tsp chopped fresh basil
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Preheat over to 350. Combine ingredients in a large bowl, reserving 1 tbsp of parm cheese. Spoon zucchini mixture into a 10" round pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake 45-50 min or until golden brown. Sprinkle with reserved parm. Cool 10-15 minutes before slicing. Serves 6

This sounds so good, the kids won't even be given a choice, I am making it for sure!!:woohoo:

Calabacitas
We use (all diced)
Zucchini
Yellow squash
red, yellow or orange pepper
red onion
garlic
green chili
jalapenos
and saute together in olive oil till nearly tender
and add frozen corn at the end and cook till done

Top with cheese (cheddar)

This sounds so good, the kids won't even be given a choice, I am making it for sure!!:woohoo:

I hope you like it. There were some variations in some reviews on the Real Simple website--some topped it with sliced tomatoes and others changed the cheese-swiss was one and another was a stronger tasting cheese--I forget. I thinks someone else added some green chiles and said that was good. We like it just the way it is although I think I may add a bit extra cheese--I use slices instead of grating it and just estimate.

We love zuchini. Grilling is our favorite way to cook it but I have chunked it and added it to my spaghetti sauce. Also, if it is not girlling season I slice and place it into the new ziploc microwave steamer bags. Love those things. sprinkle a litte salt and pepper and my boys eat it up.

I don't actually roll the zucchini, but it is similar.

Preheat oven to 350. Take 1 large zucchini and cut it into circles, dip in an egg and milk mixture and then dredge in breadcrumbs. Then, saute the zucchini in olive oil and drain it on paper towels. Spray a casserole with olive oil spray and lay out the zucchini pieces. Top each zucchini with 1-2 tablespoons pesto sauce , top each pesto sauce layer with a tablespoon and a half of ricotta cheese and top each ricotta layer with a tomato slice or a sun dried tomato. Bake until the ricotta looks melted.

Another way to do this is to use Italian sausage that has been crumbled, fried and drained in place of the pesto layer.

Bon appetit!

I have a great recipe. It is fattening but absolutely delicious. Keep in mind you are not eating the whole thing and there are ways to change it, but it will change the taste.

2 zucchini sliced thinly
1 onion chopped
1 cup oil
1 cup Bisquick
1/2 grated parmasian(sp?) cheese
5 eggs

Spray a casserole pan with non stick spray.Mix all ingredients together and put them in the pan. Cook at about 350 degrees until top is brown and bubbly. Enjoy.

My mom cooks it in olive oil with onion until soft and then adds a couple of scrambled eggs, locatelli or romano cheese. Because there is so much water in the squash/zucchini, it does not create an omlette, but rather a stew which has an egg drop soup effect. Melt some american cheese on top....so good!

Lisa

I love this recipe!!!!! We add oregano, parsley and garlic. YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite recipes are from Cooking Light. One is a good zucchini bread with a little lemony zest to it. The other is a zucchini and beef dish, or in my case ground chicken as I prefer the flavor. Pretty quick to make too and not too much prep work.

Zucchini Bread

Ingredients
3 cups shredded zucchini (about 3 medium)
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
5 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups skim milk
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
Cooking spray

Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°.
Press zucchini on several layers of paper towels. Cover with additional paper towels; set aside.

Combine flour, 1 cup granulated sugar, walnuts, and next 6 ingredients (walnuts through nutmeg) in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine milk, oil, vanilla, and eggs in a bowl; stir with a whisk. Add zucchini; stir. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moist. Divide batter evenly between 2 (8 x 4-inch) loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon granulated sugar. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pans on a wire rack; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack.

Yield
24 servings (12 slices per loaf) (serving size: 1 slice)

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 183(28% from fat); FAT 5.6g (sat 0.8g,mono 3g,poly 1.4g); IRON 1.4mg; CHOLESTEROL 19mg; CALCIUM 89mg; CARBOHYDRATE 29.6g; SODIUM 64mg; PROTEIN 4g; FIBER 0.8g

Charlie's Beef-and-Zucchini Dish

Ingredients
1 pound extra-lean ground beef
Cooking spray
3 cups diced zucchini (about 3 small)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, divided
2 1/2 cups hot cooked rice

Preparation
Cook beef in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned; stir to crumble. Drain well.
Wipe pan with paper towel. Coat with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add beef, seasoning, and sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add 2/3 cup cheese; stir until cheese melts. Serve over rice. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup cheese.

Yield
5 servings (serving size: 1 cup beef mixture, 1/2 cup rice, and about 1 tablespoon cheese)

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 355(26% from fat); FAT 10.3g (sat 4.6g,mono 3.6g,poly 0.5g); IRON 4.2mg; CHOLESTEROL 71mg; CALCIUM 250mg; CARBOHYDRATE 35.2g; SODIUM 759mg; PROTEIN 30.3g; FIBER 2.4g

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter