Your thoughts on Free Dining?

somone said it was used to get custom in low season, I have it for july 2012 1st -14th - I thought the parks would be busy at that time.

I also got a 45% dicount on rack rate:woohoo:

so total cost for 14n including ddp for OKW studio was $2560 when room only rack was over $5000

- So I really think that thats a good deal and that the dining part was 'free'

We would not have been able to stay onsite and eat at a TS every night for 14n without it. We had planed on a villa and 7 TS diners the rest SC in villa- and it still would have come to much more.

I certainly get that it isn't really "free" dining. It probably isn't the best deal for everyone. Considering I have 2 adults+2 disney adults and 1 child, free dining blows a room discount out of the water. That is around $220 a day in savings for me.

There is one scenario that allows a room discount to be a better discount. If I stay at a deluxe with a 35% discount and buy YES tickets it is roughly $175 cheaper for an 8 night stay.

I've actually made a spreadsheet comparing all discount options to see which one works best. A little sick? Perhaps. :rotfl: I can feel ok with what I book though. I'm a SAHM, so I feel that my "job" is to work at getting the best deals for my family. My grocery bill is typically in the neighborhood of 40% off retail between sales and coupons. Most people don't have the time to do this, but I do. You either have the time to do it, or the money to pay full price. :)

Lastly, I wanted to say thanks Cafeen. Your spreadsheet has really helped me in regards to the dining plan. Have used it a couple times now, and it rocks! It has been easy to edit with the changes that disney has made, too. It inspired me to make my own budget worksheet.

somone said it was used to get custom in low season, I have it for july 2012 1st -14th - I thought the parks would be busy at that time.

I also got a 45% dicount on rack rate:woohoo:

so total cost for 14n including ddp for OKW studio was $2560 when room only rack was over $5000

- So I really think that thats a good deal and that the dining part was 'free'

We would not have been able to stay onsite and eat at a TS every night for 14n without it. We had planed on a villa and 7 TS diners the rest SC in villa- and it still would have come to much more.

Hmm...how did you get free dining for next July already? Also, I've never heard of a room discount being combined with free dining. Every promo they have states it can't be used with any other.

booking internationaly - we can combine the discounts- I don't know what the best US site offers are but did not see any that came close to this across the whole year (I kept checking as we can book through US site if we want too)- So I think I got a good deal as its for DH, DD19, DD15 and myself so food bills for eating out are quite high as we all enjoy nice food. The QS meals don't realy interest us as much but we are hoping to find some nice salads and sushi followed by fruit for these as we would not want 2 heavy meals in one day.

23 trips and counting, the vast majority of which were offsite because it was just so much more affordable. Then, enter free dining, DME, and MYW tickets. It suddenly became much more affordable for us to stay onsite with free dining, cheaper multi-day tickets, and no rental car. Let's see... for our trip in august 2010, we stayed at POP for 10 nights with free dining and 10 day tickets. $950 for room and food, about $550 for park tickets came to about $1500. (and this was upgraded dining, but it was free as disney forgot to charge us when they made the original package reservation, so they honored the price they quoted us). Staying at POP without free dining was $64 a night, so there's $640 for the room but still $550 for park tickets, coming to $1090 before eating. There's just no way DD and I could have eaten at Disney for 10 days for $410. Even if we'd stayed offsite, we couldn't have done better than about $65 a night for a room, and then we'd have had to rent a car, which was going to be close to $400 plus fuel, and still eat. Sure, we could have found a hotel with "free" breakfast, but that still leaves a shared lunch in WDW and 2 of us at a sit-down dinner. NO WAY we could have eaten at Boma, Crystal Palace, Kouzzina, Biergarten, Teppan Ido, California Grill, Kona Cafe, etc. for under $400, and that was only dinner.

Free dining might not be truly free, but it's a mighty big incentive for us to stay onsite... after $400 of meals, the rest ARE free!!

As far as the question of whether the values should have free dining or not, I say OF COURSE they should! What is the reasoning here... that we are paying less per night so we should have fewer food options? We pay less, but we get less... tiny rooms, mini bathrooms, no balcony or patio, no restaurant on the hotel property, no fridge, no microwave, no coffee pot, double beds, single sinks, no privacy curtains, no fancy pools or slides, no hot tubs or spas, etc. etc. etc. Certainly the hotel has few enough amenities... why take away free dining? Or am I detecting some sly, class-related, unspoken comment? Keeping the hordes out of Disney? They already discriminate by offering only QSDP at the values (although I choose to upgrade to DDP); why should they eliminate free dining at the values all together? What is the reasoning behind this question?

Offering free dining makes Disney money. If we had not gotten free dining for our upcoming trip, we would have been staying in a vacation rental home for $100 a night with 4 bedrooms and a private pool. But since we got free dining Disney now gets $250 a night from us for staying on site. They can throw a few free CS meals at us to keep $2,500 in room rates for a room that's worth about $80 a night.

The purpose of this thread has been completely and totally distorted -
I started the thread over in the DVC area, to solicit the opinions of DVC Members who ALWAYS stay on property. I was looking for their thoughts and opinions on how the offer effects their use of DVC resorts, or renting DVC points, etc etc

It wasn't intended for folks who either make the decision TO or NOT TO stay on property when planning a WDW vacation.

There was absolutely no "sly, class-related, unspoken comment"

The lowest attendance seasons are the most economical use of DVC points - with the free dining offer there really isn't a 'low, low' season any longer - with dining reservations booked at 180 days - DVC members have the ability to book 11 months in advance at their home resorts - and with free dining the restaurants are ALWAYS packed to the gills which really is off putting when trying to enjoy a leisurely meal - it's rather hard to do when someone is calling out bingo number at the table next to you trying to entertain their children through dinner at a Signature restaurant - as a PP stated had happen to them before.

In regard to Disney offering free dining at the values - all of the reasons why you think there SHOULD be free dining offered - are all of the reasons why I think it SHOULD NOT be offered. Value guests are paying a bare minimum price for on property services and conveniences, so why offer an additional incentive.

IMHO, I feel that Disney is a QUALITY company, not a VALUE company in terms of marketing, branding, and corporate identity. YES, people complain about the park admission prices, however - I challenge anyone to find a great return on their entertainment investment. I feel that by offering free dining, Disney deviates from that QUALITY brand. It is common agreement that the quality of food at Disney has dropped quite significantly - and it also so happens that is has happened at the same pace as free dining. If Disney is 'giving something away' they don't have to be as concerned about the quality of it - so they buy cheaper cuts of meats, more processed foods, lower quality of vegetables, and cheaper all around products to serve. The 'streamlined' dining processes have taken all of the uniqueness out of the dining experience. IMHO - the QSDP would be absolute torture, how many meals of chicken strips, hamburgers, french fries, and pizza can one human being possibly eat? YES, I realize there are more options than that - BUT take a look around property and think of the number of places that serve only exactly what I listed above. Yeah, it's a very high number. AND the burgers are of HORRIBLE quality at that!

There are so few restaurants on Disney property that serve unique and exciting cuisine. How many more places are going to serve ribs and chicken. We accidentally booked ALL of those places on a trip in 2008 - I felt like if I ever saw a rib again, I was going to gag! Here it is - 2011- and I'll just now eat ribs again.

So - the initial intent of this thread was NOT to discuss the VALUE of the offering of fee dining plan - it was to discuss... among DVC members... their thoughts about the free dining plan, and Disney dining in general --- not to start WWIII and extol the virtues of free dining.

DVC members are not eligible for free dining when they stay on their DVC points - SO members could rent their points (in seasons other than free dining) and use the cash from that rental for a cash stay during free dining.

PLEASE don't make this a class warfare - it had absolutely nothing to do with how much money is in one's pocket, or where they are from, or the food they prefer to eat.

It was supposed to be a civil discussion about how free dining impacts DVC members - the perceived value of the dining plan - the quality of dining - and the impacts that free dining has on the masses of people that flood WDW during free dining. NOTHING more! :hippie:

Though targeted at DVC members, the thread was moved to an area of the site where the original intent became totally irrelevant.

And, once again, as I said in a previous post - all the people that stomped their feet, huffed and puffed, and SWORE to NEVER travel to Disney AGAIN if they taken away 'our' free dining - when this summer it seemed like free dining was going to be a thing of past - to all who made a scene of entitlement and childish outrage - please restrain yourselves. You are NEVER... ENTITLED .... to a discount of any kind, Disney doesn't 'hafta' offer free dining, and if you are willing to turn away from your favorite vacation spot if they take away 'YOUR' free dining - then shame on you. You never would have enjoyed it to start with if Disney hadn't offered it. So to 'swear off' Disney for trimming back 'your discounts' - it shows no loyalty to a company that seems to attract your attention and your vacation dollars.

YES, Disney is expensive - however, as I stated previously, I challenge anyone to find a better return on your entertainment dollars!

When you check into a dirty room, thank someone who 'refuses' to pay rack rate. When your food is bad or of poor quality - thank the folks that won't travel without free dining. When an attraction for repairs, blame the people that think WDW is too expensive. When the Cast Member at Pop Century gets short with you and acts 'un-Disney like' - remember that they are working for minimum wage because of 'your' discount.

Disney is a FOR PROFIT company - not a NON PROFIT purveyor of magic.

If you want the high quality and high standards on which Disney built its reputation to be maintained - don't be so cheap! Disney is lowering their quality standards because people aren't willing to pay for it.

Go to Disneyland where MAJOR discount area much more rare - and what you will find a park with higher quality merchandise, better quality food, friendlier cast members, and a place where the core values of the Walt Disney are still alive - and haven't been slashed for the sake of discounts.

People want something for nothing these days - and it can't happen.

Don't force Disney to become Wal-Mart - Disney is QUALITY - Wal-Mart is value. If you want quality, don't shop at Wal-Mart. If you want Value, go to your local amusement park and spend less to get less.

If you want MORE - you have to be willing to spend MORE.

It's a fact of life.

Sorry for the rant!

This thread was moved from the DVC page without regard to the fact that it was intended as a solicitation of opinion from DVC members.

Whoever decided to move it totally ruined your reason for the thread.

Offering free dining makes Disney money. If we had not gotten free dining for our upcoming trip, we would have been staying in a vacation rental home for $100 a night with 4 bedrooms and a private pool. But since we got free dining Disney now gets $250 a night from us for staying on site. They can throw a few free CS meals at us to keep $2,500 in room rates for a room that's worth about $80 a night.

OK - you threw a LOT of numbers out there that don't make sense....
Do you reserve 4 rooms?
How in the world do you think that Disney 'makes money' off of your stay?
How in the world do they get $250 a night from you..... if you are staying in a room that is 'worth about $80 a night"?
Are you staying at a Deluxe resort?
If you are staying at a Deluxe Resort, they aren't just 'throwing a few free CS meals' at you - you would have the Base Dining Plan....

If you think that the better value is OFF of Disney property - why don't you stay there?

If you are staying on property - for a few counter service meals - you you lowering your family's vacation experience by not having a private pool, 4 bedrooms, and private space.

So if you were booking the ideal vacation, you would stay off property, but Disney can lure you on property to spend an unspecified amount of money on Disney Resort Hotel room or rooms - and a 'few free CS meals' you jump on that offer?

I don't understand the logic behind someone staying on site in a hotel room that isn't on par with a Hampton Inn or a Fairfield Inn - instead of staying in a 4 bedroom home - with private pool.... instead - :confused3

You could easily eat at McDonalds/Burger King/Wendy's - and frankly the food quality would be the same, or possible even higher if you upgrade from the dollar menu.

What people don't remember is that Disney offers the dining plan to get people on property during low seasons - Disney's hotel and food and bev division has to have some sort of arrangement worked out to split the difference - so in the end, the restaurants aren't making as much, and the hotels aren't making as much - and yet everyone is buying park tickets.

So when people complain about the quality of Disney dropping, and complain that the cast members aren't as friendly as they used to be, it's because they are paying less..... and expecting more :confused3

It can't be had both ways - YES, everyone sites that DISNEY MADE XXXXXX amount of profit last year!!!!! They NEED to have discounts - WAIT a moment and remember that Disney is NOT a non-profit company. They are in the business of making money - and returning magic.

If you want high quality goods - you don't shop at Wal-Mart - if you want a gourmet meal, you don't go to someplace that lets you order your meal through a microphone and speaker system while you stay in your car!!!!

Either be willing to pay full price, or don't complain about the decline in service.

I love a good deal as much as the next person, but I don't DEMAND a good deal!

I don't even get what the rant is about. It sounds like you're unhappy with the food and service at WDW, and all of the people who want the discounts have ruined the disney experience by making them cheap out on things? Clearly that decision was made by WDW, not the people. They could have chosen to not lower quality and service, and probably make a similar amount of money off of the people who could still afford to go. The way I see it, the discounts have opened up an opportunity for those of us who couldn't go there without them. I think that's pretty fantastic.

You'll never hear me complain about going to WDW. I love everything about it. I don't care if I'm staying at a value or deluxe resort. WDW=happy for me

If anything it sounds like you're not feeling the magic anymore, and I think that's a shame.

For me, Disney is just as magical as it ever has been - I just wish they would snap out of their slump - they are selling themselves like a dollar hooker.

Disneyland can get QUALITY right - why can't WDW?

The purpose of this thread has been completely and totally distorted -
I started the thread over in the DVC area, to solicit the opinions of DVC Members who ALWAYS stay on property. I was looking for their thoughts and opinions on how the offer effects their use of DVC resorts, or renting DVC points, etc etc

It wasn't intended for folks who either make the decision TO or NOT TO stay on property when planning a WDW vacation.

There was absolutely no "sly, class-related, unspoken comment"

The lowest attendance seasons are the most economical use of DVC points - with the free dining offer there really isn't a 'low, low' season any longer - with dining reservations booked at 180 days - DVC members have the ability to book 11 months in advance at their home resorts - and with free dining the restaurants are ALWAYS packed to the gills which really is off putting when trying to enjoy a leisurely meal - it's rather hard to do when someone is calling out bingo number at the table next to you trying to entertain their children through dinner at a Signature restaurant - as a PP stated had happen to them before.

In regard to Disney offering free dining at the values - all of the reasons why you think there SHOULD be free dining offered - are all of the reasons why I think it SHOULD NOT be offered. Value guests are paying a bare minimum price for on property services and conveniences, so why offer an additional incentive.

IMHO, I feel that Disney is a QUALITY company, not a VALUE company in terms of marketing, branding, and corporate identity. YES, people complain about the park admission prices, however - I challenge anyone to find a great return on their entertainment investment. I feel that by offering free dining, Disney deviates from that QUALITY brand. It is common agreement that the quality of food at Disney has dropped quite significantly - and it also so happens that is has happened at the same pace as free dining. If Disney is 'giving something away' they don't have to be as concerned about the quality of it - so they buy cheaper cuts of meats, more processed foods, lower quality of vegetables, and cheaper all around products to serve. The 'streamlined' dining processes have taken all of the uniqueness out of the dining experience. IMHO - the QSDP would be absolute torture, how many meals of chicken strips, hamburgers, french fries, and pizza can one human being possibly eat? YES, I realize there are more options than that - BUT take a look around property and think of the number of places that serve only exactly what I listed above. Yeah, it's a very high number. AND the burgers are of HORRIBLE quality at that!

There are so few restaurants on Disney property that serve unique and exciting cuisine. How many more places are going to serve ribs and chicken. We accidentally booked ALL of those places on a trip in 2008 - I felt like if I ever saw a rib again, I was going to gag! Here it is - 2011- and I'll just now eat ribs again.

So - the initial intent of this thread was NOT to discuss the VALUE of the offering of fee dining plan - it was to discuss... among DVC members... their thoughts about the free dining plan, and Disney dining in general --- not to start WWIII and extol the virtues of free dining.

DVC members are not eligible for free dining when they stay on their DVC points - SO members could rent their points (in seasons other than free dining) and use the cash from that rental for a cash stay during free dining.

PLEASE don't make this a class warfare - it had absolutely nothing to do with how much money is in one's pocket, or where they are from, or the food they prefer to eat.

It was supposed to be a civil discussion about how free dining impacts DVC members - the perceived value of the dining plan - the quality of dining - and the impacts that free dining has on the masses of people that flood WDW during free dining. NOTHING more! :hippie:

Though targeted at DVC members, the thread was moved to an area of the site where the original intent became totally irrelevant.

And, once again, as I said in a previous post - all the people that stomped their feet, huffed and puffed, and SWORE to NEVER travel to Disney AGAIN if they taken away 'our' free dining - when this summer it seemed like free dining was going to be a thing of past - to all who made a scene of entitlement and childish outrage - please restrain yourselves. You are NEVER... ENTITLED .... to a discount of any kind, Disney doesn't 'hafta' offer free dining, and if you are willing to turn away from your favorite vacation spot if they take away 'YOUR' free dining - then shame on you. You never would have enjoyed it to start with if Disney hadn't offered it. So to 'swear off' Disney for trimming back 'your discounts' - it shows no loyalty to a company that seems to attract your attention and your vacation dollars.

YES, Disney is expensive - however, as I stated previously, I challenge anyone to find a better return on your entertainment dollars!

When you check into a dirty room, thank someone who 'refuses' to pay rack rate. When your food is bad or of poor quality - thank the folks that won't travel without free dining. When an attraction for repairs, blame the people that think WDW is too expensive. When the Cast Member at Pop Century gets short with you and acts 'un-Disney like' - remember that they are working for minimum wage because of 'your' discount.

Disney is a FOR PROFIT company - not a NON PROFIT purveyor of magic.

If you want the high quality and high standards on which Disney built its reputation to be maintained - don't be so cheap! Disney is lowering their quality standards because people aren't willing to pay for it.

Go to Disneyland where MAJOR discount area much more rare - and what you will find a park with higher quality merchandise, better quality food, friendlier cast members, and a place where the core values of the Walt Disney are still alive - and haven't been slashed for the sake of discounts.

People want something for nothing these days - and it can't happen.

Don't force Disney to become Wal-Mart - Disney is QUALITY - Wal-Mart is value. If you want quality, don't shop at Wal-Mart. If you want Value, go to your local amusement park and spend less to get less.

If you want MORE - you have to be willing to spend MORE.

It's a fact of life.

Sorry for the rant!

:rolleyes:

I hate people that feel entitled... :confused3:confused3 Have you looked in the mirror today??:rotfl: I have no problem with you hating free dining or the "people" it attracts, its not the message that gets me, its your delivery...To each their own!!!

You really can't compare one to another. It isn't pricing that drives the higher quality on the west coast - it is competition and the lack of "captive audience" factor.

At WDW staying offsite comes with significant loss of convenience - instead of being minutes from the parks you have a 20+ minute drive. Instead of continuous transportation you have the expense of a rental car & parking or the hassle of a scheduled-time shuttle. And eating offsite involves a long enough commute to be impractical unless you plan to end your days at dinner time. Disney knows this and charges far, far more for their offerings than you'd pay for comparable quality offsite, counting on convenience to keep people paying higher prices for lower quality.

At DL, you can stay offsite, eat offsite, and still enjoy the parks just as much as someone staying onsite, so the onsite offerings have to compete in terms of quality and price rather than just depending on location alone to drive bookings. So of course you're going to find better quality there, because if the Grand Californian started offering the level of service that passes as "deluxe" at WDW there'd be no reason not to book one of the many other hotels within easy walking distance of the parks, and if you don't care for the menu options at Blue Bayou you could simply have dinner at one of the non-Disney hotel restaurants or at Downtown Disney.

:rolleyes:

I hate people that feel entitled... :confused3:confused3 Have you looked in the mirror today??:rotfl: I have no problem with you hating free dining or the "people" it attracts, its not the message that gets me, its your delivery...To each their own!!!

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

So... you bought DVC because you love to go to WDW and want to spend your future vacations there, and DVC is a way to make this more economical for you in the long run. I paid $95 a night at POP Century to get free dining to make MY vacation more economical. I think you are just mad because you can't vacation as cheaply as you thought you were going to be able to. (btw, I've sat through the dvc talks and I understand about fees, points,etc., but the bottom line is that your vacations become more affordable as the years pass.)

As you stated, Disney is a for-profit company, and has decided to offer discounts and incentives to be able to make a profit. Clearly they weren't making the profit the needed to make when they had a low-low season and DVC owners were able to take advantage of this. Would you have been willing to pay more during your low-low season so that Disney would turn a profit equal to that they make when they offer free dining? PLEASE don't tell me that if I cannot afford "quality" Disney I should vacation elsewhere; why? To leave the "quality" vacation for the "quality" DVC folks? One of the reasons Disney needed to develop incentive offers was because their hotels were operating at far less than the minimum occupancy they need to turn a profit. People were staying offsite and treating WDW like an amusement park. NOT that park passes are cheap, but there's a whole great big world of profit in hotel rooms, restaurant food, counter service and cart food, etc. Disney discovered a brilliant way to increase their bottom line: Keep the "guests" in the resort 24/7. Hence, free dining and, by the way, Magical Express.

If Disney hadn't found a way to get the resorts filled, how would they have stayed open? And if you don't think you are making "class" comments, please re-read what you have said about the value resorts. YOU are the one who wants to treat the Values guests as "second class" guests. Why else would you cut them off from the dining plans? And by the way, $95 is NOT bare minimum for what is offered at these resorts (although bare minimum is what the resorts offer)... it's comparable to or a bit more than hotels that offer a bigger, nicer rooms/suites, with kitchens and living areas included, with fancy pools, activities for the kids, and free breakfast, that can be found in many of the Comfort Inns (for example) in Kissimmee (just used a code and pulled up $89 a night for CSMGE). For an offsite room comparable to a Disney Value, I can stay at a Motel 6 or Super 8 for about $50 a night. Perhaps you are just not aware of this because you only stay in "quality" hotels? Honestly, if you think DisneyLAND is of such quality and Disney WORLD isn't, why not just vacation in California?? :furious:

:rotfl:If people only realized what they are actually getting . The so called " FREE " plan cost most folks more than if they bought each meal as they go . Disney figures people are not smart enough to realize this . They continue to offer it because they were right . So many people jump on this deal . The saying a fool and his money are soon parted has made Disney a ton of money on this FREE plan . Disney does not give any thing away for free . They will continue to offer this Dining Plan as long as people continue to want it . Because Disney makes money and the people who take the " Free " offer lose their's .;)

:rotfl:If people only realized what they are actually getting . The so called " FREE " plan cost most folks more than if they bought each meal as they go . Disney figures people are not smart enough to realize this . They continue to offer it because they were right . So many people jump on this deal . The saying a fool and his money are soon parted has made Disney a ton of money on this FREE plan . Disney does not give any thing away for free . They will continue to offer this Dining Plan as long as people continue to want it . Because Disney makes money and the people who take the " Free " offer lose their's .;)

That's an interesting opinion. Now prove it. I'll help. Here's the scenario. Family of 4. 2 adults, a teen, and a 7 year old. There's staying at POFQ at $180 a night with free dining. A 30% off deal would make the room $126 a night. What you're saying is that family can eat for $54 a day. :confused3 If they only eat 2 meals a day, that would give them an average of about $7 per meal. That's no snacks and no possibility of even 1 character or TS meal. People like you always say that those that use free dining are getting ripped off but never offer any proof. I even helped your argument by putting the family in a moderate resort. Now, seriously, explain to me how the above scenario is cheaper than free dining.

Interesting thread.

For the record, even the disagreements on the DIS boards are TAME compared to a few other message boards I belong to. I don't find any of the posts on either side of the topic to be over the top or rude in this thread.

Our first year was 2005, and I don't see much difference in food quality in our three additional trips since.

I actually am GLAD that tip is NOT included any longer. When we had free dining and it included the tip, THEN, I thought the service was poor.

This year, we are new DVC owners, and purchased DxDP. why? A number of reasons, not necessarily value. I always say on here, as long as most posters who crunch the numbers say the DxDP is a fair value or close to break even, I will probably continue to get it if I can afford it. I LOVE the fact that all my food is paid for up front. I can order what I want when I'm there, and so can the kids. Sure, I understand there is a measure of 'fooling' myself with this thought process, but I'm on VACATION!!!!! The whole point of the trip is to 'fool' myself and leave my everyday life behind. I also like the idea that I've paid it upfront and won't get a bill at a later date.

I need not offer proof . Wow . You did the numbers and you see that I am wrong . Good for you . And it is not really an opinion . Do the math taking everything into account . If you actually come out ahead , that is awesome . I laugh at this because no one need offer proof here . You take what people post here the way you want . Believe or do not believe . Makes no difference to me . I posted to let it be known that Disney knows what they are doing . And making a killing . There are a few that make out ok . Most do not . I know what the inside thinking is and why . We actually love the folks that get the plan . Just trying to help folks realize what they are doing before they do it . My suggestion would be that you get the FREE DINING plan and enjoy your stay .:thumbsup2 It works for me !!:cool2:

Interesting thread.

For the record, even the disagreements on the DIS boards are TAME compared to a few other message boards I belong to. I don't find any of the posts on either side of the topic to be over the top or rude in this thread.

Our first year was 2005, and I don't see much difference in food quality in our three additional trips since.

I actually am GLAD that tip is NOT included any longer. When we had free dining and it included the tip, THEN, I thought the service was poor.

This year, we are new DVC owners, and purchased DxDP. why? A number of reasons, not necessarily value. I always say on here, as long as most posters who crunch the numbers say the DxDP is a fair value or close to break even, I will probably continue to get it if I can afford it. I LOVE the fact that all my food is paid for up front. I can order what I want when I'm there, and so can the kids. Sure, I understand there is a measure of 'fooling' myself with this thought process, but I'm on VACATION!!!!! The whole point of the trip is to 'fool' myself and leave my everyday life behind. I also like the idea that I've paid it upfront and won't get a bill at a later date.

Great post my friend . Your attitude is very good to have going in . That is just my opinion .:cool2:

Interesting idea, but I don't see how it holds up. We're booked with free dining for November for 5 adults and 1 child. We're at a value resort, so we only get the quick service plan for free for paying the $215 rack rate for our room. The best room-only offers for values have been 25% lately (and more often 20%), which would bring our room rate down to $161. "Free" dining costs us about $430 over the length of our stay. I cannot fathom how, short of packing every meal, we could feed 6 people on less than $50 per day at Disney prices.

I agree. We've been going almost every year since '05 and I have noticed some favorite items removed from menus. I've also seen new favorites added, and I think the overall quality has remained essentially level.

But most of the people who lament the decline of Disney dining aren't looking back 5 years - they're looking back 10-15 years, to the Eisner-era attempts to rebrand Disney as 'not just for kids', and I don't really have any experience with that since I only took one WDW trip during those years and was just a kid at the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter