• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

You People Ruined The Gratuity For Ddp!

spoilmygurl

Mouseketeer
I just got off the phone making all of my ADR's for our May trip. (ADR is NOT disney lingo and the rep was a little annoyed with me for saying it..more on that later)

Anywho she was telling me that with our DDP, tips won't be included so we'll have to be prepared to pay those. She said they aren't included any longer because some people weren't leaving tips and the servers were getting jilted :confused: How exactly were servers getting jilted if they were previously guaranteed a tip from the dining plan :confused3 I think the present plan is where the potential for getting jilted exists. She then proceeded to tell me that if people keep stiffing the servers tips, the servers will start quitting, then there will be nobody to staff the parks. :rolleyes1 Why did I have to get Sybil of all people to answer my phone call? I made up a story about how my husband is in the service industry and always tips 20% so she would shut up already.

About the ADR
sybil: what is that acronym you're saying
me: ADR- advanced dining reservation
sybil: we don't use that term. that's not a disney term. where did you hear it
me: (scared to admit it was this forum) ummm....i might have saw it online somewhere
sybil:well i've been a cast member for 8 years and it's not a term we use. I've only heard it used maybe 3 times in my life and I never figured out where it came from. I was going to ask you if you were a CM......(trailed into long story)
me: (inside my head "OMG! She's nuts!!") outloud i was feigning interest in the story.

Do you ever wonder why CMs who answer the phones for ressie, either dining ressies or for booking trips always have long winded stories about how vacationers and or forum goers like us disers are always to blame. We leak codes, we make up acronyms, we anoy them by repeatedly changing our reservations, and now apearently we are stiffing the wait staff. THis just always cracks me up. Sorry you had such a lousy experience every once in awhile you find a CM who actually likes to talk to people. They as you about you trip and get you really excited for your up coming trip, unlike sybil. Better luck next time.

Actually "Advanced Dining Reservation" was officially used by Disney Dining for a very short period of time, after they stopped calling them "Priority Seatings."

But the acronym stuck here on the DIS, even after Disney stopped using it.

I guess you are just supposed to say "reservation." I looked at the FAQ on the Disney World website and it just says "reservation." Interesting, because it's NOT technically a reservation unless it's a prepaid event. It's a go to the front of the queue thing, they're not holding a table open for you.

I don't get how the servers were getting stiffed if the tip was included. Unless they expected the diners to up the tip amount beyond the included 18%.

It was probably this gal

2489_main.jpg

They were getting 18% even if they provided crappy service you would think that would be a waiter/waitresses dream. What she was saying makes no sense at all. Now the staff could get stiffed completely or get less than 18%.

That is HILARIOUS!

Seriously, why do people like this want to work for DISNEY?? If my job required me to say "have a magical day" or whatever, I'd jump off a bridge.

Sybil!:rotfl2:

The people the people the people

(you had to see the movie to appreciate):scared1:

This is our first trip to Disney, so 99.9% of everything about the trip, I learned here or got an outside link from here. I actually felt "cool" saying ADR. Like it made me a Disney pro or something. :rotfl: I felt like a complete noob when she broke down my little ego. hehehe.

oh oh oh!!! I forgot this part...I initially called to cancel an ADR as our dates had changed. Here's how that convo went:

sybil: okay, we've got that cancelled. is there anything else I can do for you?
me: not really. I wanted to make some reservations, but another CM told me I can't do that without my package already being booked. (it isn't just yet)
sybil: that is not true! the person who told you that was obviously not a CM. Sometimes when you call, the call goes to a place Disney using for outsourcing. I would suggest that from here on in, as soon as they pick up ask them "where are you located" or "are you an offical CM". If they aren't, just tell them you'll call back and try until you get a real CM. They don't have access to they same information we do.

OMG! It can't be that serious lady. She must own like 60% of Disney or something. LMBO! (laughing my buns off)

I don't remember when I laughed so hard reading a post! WOW! Talk about a whack-job. It's too bad that your particular conversation wasn't "recorded for quality assurance or training purposes" as so many of them are anymore. I'll bet if she was required to say, "Have a magical day," she would have choked on it!!!

On a serious side, I'm sure glad she told you how things really work at Disney, since you clearly don't know anything (i.e. ADR - now, really!!! and when to make another dining reservation) I hope you have learned your lesson:goodvibes lol!!! I know I sure have.

Besides that, I'll bet she get employee of the month or something for setting you straight.

:rotfl2:
too funny........
but at least the phone call wasn't a waste, she provided some good entertainment (definately creepy tho:scared1: )

loved your retelling, btw :thumbsup2

Overly-serious or not, it appears the Cast Member being disparaged here provided some GOOD, factual information to the OP. Disney doesn't call your dining arrangements ADR, PS, any other acronym, or the full terms those acronyms represent. They DO call your dining plans "reservations" - and then explain to you exactly what that means ("arrive x minutes early, check in, be seated at the next available...").

And the CM may have presented all her responses in a too-serious manner - but she DID also provide ACCURATE information (i.e. corrected the MISinformation the OP got on an earlier call) about when you can make dining reservations: Using the information the OP got on the call previous to this one, it would appear Guests with a room-only reservation, or staying off-site, are unable to make dining reservations, period: "I wanted to make some reservations, but another CM told me I can't do that without my package already being booked"

At least Sybil could speak English--unlike several Disney Dining CM's I've spoken with (or rather, tried to spaek with) in the past.
And the DDP information she gave was correct-no gratuity included.

Which leaves me wondering how we ("You people") ruined it??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter