• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yet another Jello Response

I find this somewhat amusing since 90% or so of parents allow schools to subvert their parental role 9 months out of every year, not only with dietary decisions but also with the transmission of knowledge and values. And that's a heck of a lot more "subversion" than Disney offering only one dessert option with kids' meals!

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

However, there's a lot of merit in your suggestion. We would never order dessert in a restaurant if it weren't for the Dining Plan. We just ate a big meal -- we typically would wait an hour or so before we stuff more food in our bodies.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a change, next year -- just guessing here, but let's say $35.99/$9.99, and the TS meal no longer includes dessert. That reflects a price increase, but appears as a price decrease -- bonus!
This would be a good idea but only if you could choose app or dessert.

HOWEVER, I get that people want choices here though, and I don't think it is fair to give adults such a broad choice and not give the same for kids.
But at counter service restaurants (which, again, is the ONLY place the dreaded Jell-O is the dessert listed on the childrens' menu), adults don't have "such a broad choice. Most CS locations offer two, maybe three, dessert options on the main menu. Now that we know unsweetened applesauce, while not list, IS available as dessert for children on the DDP, it's all pretty much equal. Two equals two and all that :)

I have a different take on it. I feel that since this is such a hot issue, Disney should make changes. From a business perspective, they need to give their customers what they want. I don't think there's any point in debating high fructose corn syrup, sugar, and sugar substitutes on this board. It's not going to do anything but make people angry and defensive.

But here's the thing - I don't believe it IS a hot issue. I think it's discussed to death HERE because DISers are a bit OCD when it comes to Disney. I know four families who have gone to Disney within the past 3 months, and I asked all of them what they thought about the Jello situation - none of them knew what I was even talking about! When I explained they seemed confused and just said that if their kids got the kids meals, sometimes they ate the jello and sometimes they were too full or wanted something else, so the parents used a snack credit an hour or two later to get another sweet treat. End of discussion. None of them viewed it as a problem Disney needed to fix. I would bet a million dollars that these people are a lot more representative of the average Disney goer than anyone on these boards.

I just don't get what all the hubabaloo is about.:confused3 This is not the first time WDW has offered a single "dessert item" with their kids meals. When we first started bringing our DD7 and DD9 to WDW several years ago all of the kids meals came with small packets of "Disney Character Cookies" similar to Animal Crackers or Teddy Grahams. Does anybody else remember these? While the girls thought these were yummy at first, by day 2 or 3 we had these little packets of cookies collecting in the basket of our stroller!:lmao: I suspect we will have nice little collection of SF jello cups by the end of our May trip... though we won't have a stroller to collect them in anymore. :lmao:

In my experience, WDW is not the only place to offer a standard dessert with every kids meal. Yesterday, for example we ate lunch here in Atlanta at Artuzzi's Italian Kitchen (a counter-serve pasta/pizza place, I think it's a chain), both DD's ordered a pasta kid's meal and were given Animal Crackers with them. Neither DD ate them (see "Disney Character cookie" story above:rotfl2: ) They just don't like that type of cookie, I guess. Did I demand they be given a canoli or slice of cheescake instead? :rotfl: No. We left the unopened bags of cookies on the table.

While I agree that SF jello may not be the best choice of a dessert offering with a child's meal, I don't see anything wrong with WDW offering a standard item with their child's meal. This really isn't a new concept.

Mary

I agree with Susan in that most visitors to WDW are not like the people on these boards. And I for one love the DDP and with the exception of there not being a kids pizza meal at the MK and AK pizza CS places, I have no problems with it at all.

I'm a college English teacher, and each semester I poll my students about their favorite and least favorite writing assignments. Never have I had the entire group of 20 or so students agree on anything about the best or worst. The assignment some students love is the one other students hate. My point is that people have different opinions about everything, and it's impossible for Disney to be able to make everyone happy just as I've learned in my work that not all people who experience the same thing have the same reaction to it.

I will stand by what I said before, which is that if you do not believe the DDP is a good value for your family, you should not get it. You are then free to order whatever you want whenver you want for whomever you want. For us, the DDP is great and it allows us to try foods we would never have tried before--and to get dessert at a TS dinner which we never do either. I just hope Disney keeps it and does not bow to the pressure of a very vocal but small minority of unhappy guests and decide to do away with the DDP altogether.

But at counter service restaurants (which, again, is the ONLY place the dreaded Jell-O is the dessert listed on the childrens' menu), adults don't have "such a broad choice. Most CS locations offer two, maybe three, dessert options on the main menu. Now that we know unsweetened applesauce, while not list, IS available as dessert for children on the DDP, it's all pretty much equal. Two equals two and all that :)
Furthermore, most of the desserts available to adults at CS locations just aren't that good. After spending a week eating a few bites of dry, prepackaged chocolate cake or chewing my way through a very tough churro, I've decided that unless the dessert really jumps out at me (a few places still have decent desserts), I'm ordering- wait for it... the sugar-free jello.;)

You know, jenelope, that's really not such a bad idea. I've heard the same complaints about the adult CS dessert 'choices' that you experienced, and if the Cast Members will let me get the Jell-O? You bet I'm gonna get at it! ;)

You know, jenelope, that's really not such a bad idea. I've heard the same complaints about the adult CS dessert 'choices' that you experienced, and if the Cast Members will let me get the Jell-O? You bet I'm gonna get at it! ;)

I'll be ordering Jello with my CS meals as well. I want to bring home lots of souvenirs from Disney, but one souvenir I do NOT want is an extra few pounds of fat from all those sugary fat-filled sweets :scared1:

I agree with Susan in that most visitors to WDW are not like the people on these boards. And I for one love the DDP and with the exception of there not being a kids pizza meal at the MK and AK pizza CS places, I have no problems with it at all.

This won't happen unless they start ordering two sizes of premade pizza. Because all the pizzas are prefabricated and are all the same size, they can't offer a smaller pizza as a child's meal.

To get pizza on the dining plan for kids, try Pizza Planet at MGM. They only have one menu.

I hate Jello, sugar free or not, so I'm not about to join the adult jello eaters...but I don't like the CS desserts either, unless it's at the Land food court or the ginger cake at Yakitori.

Well, I have always thought they could go with a half of a pizza and give the kids grapes, goldfish crackers and jello or apple sauce. Problem solved, smaller portion, still helathy and everyone is enjoying the same entree.

Well, I have always thought they could go with a half of a pizza and give the kids grapes, goldfish crackers and jello or apple sauce. Problem solved, smaller portion, still helathy and everyone is enjoying the same entree.

Then they'd have to cut the pizzas and dish them out in halves. Then what do they do with the other half? Keep it till someone else orders a kids pizza? Throw it out?

Without the dining plan it wouldn't have been an issue.

This would be a good idea but only if you could choose app or dessert.
I suggested it the way I did (appetizer included; dessert costs extra) because I believe most folks who want a dessert will pay for it, anyway. Since Disney won't make a change unless it is actually better for them, this aspect is essential to make it likely enough that Disney would actually do it. :confused3

But here's the thing - I don't believe it IS a hot issue. I think it's discussed to death HERE because DISers are a bit OCD when it comes to Disney.
Who? Us???? :rotfl2:

I know four families who have gone to Disney within the past 3 months, and I asked all of them what they thought about the Jello situation - none of them knew what I was even talking about! When I explained they seemed confused and just said that if their kids got the kids meals, sometimes they ate the jello and sometimes they were too full or wanted something else, so the parents used a snack credit an hour or two later to get another sweet treat. End of discussion.
Yes, this is my impression as well, from talking with a co-worker just back from bringing his four grandchildren to WDW, and from my own observations while at WDW in February. As you suggested:

None of them viewed it as a problem Disney needed to fix.

Just for fun, I brought this issue up at my homeschool group yesterday - have a group full of Disney lovers. They were completely puzzled by the "uproar" over the sugar free jello and had no idea why people were upset or wanting Disney to make a change.

Susan 555 - Can I join your homeschool group? I belong to a great group, but nobody is very much into Disney. They think I'm rich because we go every year ;) . I've given up talking about it much - no amount of talking can convince people that sometimes its almost affordable with the right code - especially when you're not bound by the school system's schedule. I've considered putting my boys in school next year, but losing my Sept. Disney trip would hurt! :rotfl:

Anyway, its torture to go to co-op and not talk about my latest discovery from the DIS boards. I'm very jealous of you and your group!

Susan 555 - Can I join your homeschool group? I belong to a great group, but nobody is very much into Disney. They think I'm rich because we go every year ;) . I've given up talking about it much - no amount of talking can convince people that sometimes its almost affordable with the right code - especially when you're not bound by the school system's schedule. I've considered putting my boys in school next year, but losing my Sept. Disney trip would hurt! :rotfl:

Anyway, its torture to go to co-op and not talk about my latest discovery from the DIS boards. I'm very jealous of you and your group!

We do have a great group, I'm very pleased about it. Until 2005, the active groups in the area were all Christian "statement of faith" groups. I started my own secular/inclusive group in the summer of 2005, and even though Katrina put us out of commission for a few months, we're growing every week. It's a really nice group of people, and yes, most of them are huge Disney fans!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter