• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yet another Jello Response

I don't get the applesauce instead of jello idea as most places are already serving the applesauce, grapes, carrrots choice. My kids both like unsweetened applesauce but how many packs can they eat in a day? If they don't like carrots or jello they'd get 2 applesauces and a grapes at every meal. I also am not thrilled with vanilla ice cream with the little cups of sprinkles for every dessert. It doesn't take much creativity to have at least a few different options.

We live in an area with an enormous school system that is very health concious. They manage to serve a few different healthy "desserts" like a low sugar sherbert, very small 100% frozen juice bars in those triangular paper pouches, push ups, and even those 100 calorie cookies packs. Beyond that the uncrustables they serve are whole wheat so obviously companies will provide custom products to big organizations. They also serve fresh fruit that is in season so each day there are a few choices. At WDW each menu could just say fruit of the day. It would have to be cheaper than buying things out of season and they could always have applesauce and grapes as the stand bys. If our schools are serving bananas, kiwi, strawberries,oranges, pears they can't be that expensive.

I really don't want my kids to have the 500 calorie adult cakes anyway but would like some kid friendly small dessert.

Yvonne

Personally, whether we pay for the DDP or get it for free, I will most likely purchase desert (or share) for my two children. Part of the fun of Disney is splurging and all 3 of our kids look forward to deserts at WDW. At home we try to be healthy, but WDW is such a fantasy for our family. There is NO WAY I am limiting deserts there. I don't expect Disney to offer the chocolate wave to children whose parents pay $10.99 a day, but something a little special would be nice. A small dish of ice cream with a couple sprinkles maybe?

Thank you for saying this. I think it is great to have healthy choices available for those who want them. But for our family, part of the fun of vacation is enjoying the food including dessert. I don't think offering a small scoop of ice cream with sprinkles is too much to ask.

People are really fooling themselves if they think that this is going to have any impact on the childhood obesity epidemic. It's what they are eating at home and at school that is the real problem. Come on.....it's supposed to be vacation!!!!!!

We ran into the new children's menus on our last trip and I was not happy about it. I did feel like they lied to me when they said desserts were included with the childs meals on the DDP. If you look at the portions the apple sauce or jello is really a side item with the meal and not a dessert. The amount of food would not feed a 5 year old. The lack of choices made the entire vacation a little less magical for us and our youngest child.

That was our experience, too, for both CS and TS. DD is 8 and the meals didn't fill her, either, and she is not what I would consider a big eater. If I was paying OOP for her meal and she left hungry, I wouldn't have been happy. She ended up eating some of our food, too, which was fine because there was plenty, but I could see she was disppointed sometimes by her limited choices when her 10 yo brother was eating wonderful meals - lucky for her, he didn't finish his meals, so she got to eat his leftovers, but they weren't of her choosing.

WDWfor5 said:
Healthy, normal weight children do not artificial sweeteners of any kind and new research is linking artificlal sweeteners to obesity.
I'm relatively sure that research involved more than the minimal amount of artificial sweeteners in seven four-ounce cups of Jell-O :) And, from what I remember, it was indicated that the obesity 'link' is due to artificial sweeteners not making one feel as full as sugar-containing foods - so people who use artificial sweeteners eat more.

WDWfor5 said:
Also, keep in mind we are talking about children here. Not already heavy adults, not obese children, not you or me. children are still growing and their nutritional requirements are vastly different then an adults.
Fair enough - but sugar isn't a nutritional requirement for anyone.

DCDisney said:
We live in an area with an enormous school system that is very health concious. They manage to serve a few different healthy "desserts" like a low sugar sherbert, very small 100% frozen juice bars in those triangular paper pouches, push ups, and even those 100 calorie cookies packs. Beyond that the uncrustables they serve are whole wheat so obviously companies will provide custom products to big organizations. They also serve fresh fruit that is in season so each day there are a few choices.
I still contend people are confusing counter service options with table service options
ºOº The counter service restaurants in the parks offer sugar-free Jell-O as the dessert on the childrens' menu.
ºOº It's may be possible to replace that with a cup of applesauce, at least at some CS locations, according to an earlier post in this thread.
ºOº While there are two or three choices of desserts on most adult CS menus, none of these (except maybe at the water parks, I didn't check those menus) include ice cream.
ºOº That's just common sense. You order and take your entire CS meal at one time. Ice cream melts.
ºOº The 100-calorie snacks is a good suggestion, assuming Disney has or can make an arrangement with the manufacturers.
ºOº With fresh fruit, you may run into storage issues - space, I mean.
ºOº Table service restaurants, on the other hand, do NOT offer Jell-O as a dessert choice.
ºOº Most TS restaurants DO offer ice cream as a choice on the childrens menu.
ºOº That too is common sense. Your TS dessert isn't presented to you until you're ready to eat it.

I'm relatively sure that research involved more than the minimal amount of artificial sweeteners in seven four-ounce cups of Jell-O :) And, from what I remember, it was indicated that the obesity 'link' is due to artificial sweeteners not making one feel as full as sugar-containing foods - so people who use artificial sweeteners eat more.

Actually, the research also mentions that foods containing artificial sweeteners may trigger something in our brains that makes us crave sweet food

Fair enough - but sugar isn't a nutritional requirement for anyone.

Agreed - but neither is artificial sweeteners so by that argument disney shouldn't serve dessert at all. The bottom line though is their plan states that it includes dessert and that makes them obligated to provide it. The reality is that for most children sugar-free jello and unsweetened applesauce is not dessert. The jello idea is appalling to many parents who do not allow their children to eat artificial sweeteners and the idea that applesauce is dessert is laughable. I agree that children don't need a dessert at every meal but it's disney that promotes their plan as including dessert with CS and TS meals. Don't blame people for expecting them to honor that.

The bottom line though is their plan states that it includes dessert and that makes them obligated to provide it. The reality is that for most children sugar-free jello and unsweetened applesauce is not dessert.

Really? To my kids, Jello would definitely be a dessert, and applesauce is also an after-dinner treat or between meal sweet treat (we use the unsweetened, but it's sweet to them). In fact, most of their friends are the same way - jello, sugar free pudding, and applesauce are big hits when we have playdates. I guess we're all just weird. I wouldn't even think to offer my children, or anyone else's, cookies or cake or even ice cream after a meal.

WDWfor5 said:
Agreed - but neither is artificial sweeteners so by that argument disney shouldn't serve dessert at all. The bottom line though is their plan states that it includes dessert and that makes them obligated to provide it.
And they do:
Dessert:
1: a usually sweet course or dish usually served at the end of a meal
2British : a fresh fruit served after a sweet course
Jell-O, even artificially sweetened, is sweet; and applesauce, even without added sugar, is sweet (because apples are). So Disney DOES provide dessert.

WDWfor5 said:
I agree that children don't need a dessert at every meal but it's disney that promotes their plan as including dessert with CS and TS meals. Don't blame people for expecting them to honor that.
Disney DOES provide dessert at almost every venue. The Jell-O is available only at counter service locations - and parents who choose not to feed their children this option are free to purchase a different treat. Virtually all Table Service restaurants offer a CHOICE of desserts for children, NONE of which is Jell-O in ANY format, and which generally DOES include the (apparently beloved) ice cream that so many posters lament as not available.

I am glad my smallest is too young for the DDP and my oldest is an **adult*** If they were on the kids plan, DH and I would just have to share our dessert. We do this at home anyway. We usually just order 1 dessert and share. I am a chow hound and I can share. It shouldnt really impact ppl as much as it does IMO. If you dont like whats offered you can gracefully decline. If you are truly offended by the sugar free dessert, you can skip the ddp all together, and not order any kids meals that come with the :scared: *poison*: confused3

What I'm hearing a lot of the parents say is, "It is a vacation, and if I want to treat my child to a high fat, high sugar dessert every now and again then I want the option. Not by using the snack credit but as a dessert. I want the choice."

I don't understand why they are getting jumped on for wanting the option.:confused3 ?

As long as the healthy choices are there too, then what does it matter? Any parent on any given day can make the choice for their child. I guess that is what I'm having trouble. I personally don't care as long as it is parental choice. So for those parents for whom SF Jello and applesauce are dessert, then perfect! Disney has that as an option. But clearly, there are plenty of parents that don't feel that SF Jello or applesauce = dessert.

I grew up not thinking that I got dessert at every meal. But when I did get dessert, I wanted a slice of cake or a cookie. Typically my mom made a nice dessert for Sunday. Then however long it lasted was how long we got dessert. So by definition for me based on childhood experience etc. dessert = something rich and gooey. Jello is for when you're sick. Seriously you either dump fruit or :scared1: carrots (yuck!) in it for a salad or it is forced down your throat post surgery. And applesauce never even crossed my lips. I can't gag it down. I hate the texture. But for some, Jello is a treat. Just not in my definition. I don't care what websters or anybody else says.

I'm not going to tell you how to define dessert. If Jello works for you, wonderful! If unsweetened applesauce works great! Just allow others the right to express their dissatisfaction with the status quo without feeling like they are personally responsible for the obesity problem in children. It is a vacation!

Anyway.....

popcorn::

I was curious for myself about the definition of dessert as found in Websters.

Pasted over with no additions or deletions.

Main Entry: des·sert
Pronunciation: di-'z&rt
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French, from desservir to clear the table, from des- de- + servir to serve, from Latin servire
1 : a usually sweet course or dish (as of pastry or ice cream) usually served at the end of a meal
2 British : a fresh fruit served after a sweet course

The example in parenthesis is Webster's and not mine.
So I guess I'm normal by Webster's definition. Good to know!;) ;)

What I'm hearing a lot of the parents say is, "It is a vacation, and if I want to treat my child to a high fat, high sugar dessert every now and again then I want the option. Not by using the snack credit but as a dessert. I want the choice."
I agree. There is a big difference between saying "I want the option" (i.e., expressing one's personal preference) and saying "Disney is wrong and should give me the option" (i.e., attacking WDW for doing what they believe is best). I think it is wrong to condemn the folks just saying they want more options -- everyone is entitled to have their own personal preferences.

If I were in charge at disney (sigh, wouldn't that be lovely?) here is what I would offer. :)
1. Sugar Free Jello (some kids DO have obesity problems, diabetes, and other issues that make having sugar free jello as an option a good idea!)
2. Applesauce (I have nothing against applesauce, heck, my kids will probably chose it almost every time!)
and then I would add as a choice
3. A cookie, nothing huge, but a nice cookie. (And I think that this would make almost everyone happy)

I think one of the reasons ice cream isn't offered is because Disney knows that we want it and if it isn't offered then we will either buy it oop or use a snack credit. It's just smart marketing for them if you look at it that way.

Sounds reasonable to me Kelly!

But then I am biased towards anyone that scrapbooks and announces it to the world! We really are such reasonable people!:lmao:

Not everyone would be happy but I agree the majority would hopefully be. A small cookie shouldn't break the financial bank, cause too much extra confusion and would still allow parental choice.

I would love to be able to go to Disney to play anytime. But to be in charge:scared1: no way! Disneyophiles are a pretty tough crowd.

And remember, Disney does supposedly read these forums to gain new ideas... that cookie idea might just be picked up and used!

Being diabetic, I am very happy to trade my desert for sugar free jello or applesauce. I particularly liked the WDW jello (although you would think with Jello practically being a food group there, there would be more than one flavor). This worked out fine for us. The kid felt like he was getting something special and I was happy too.

All this jello talk makes me want to go make some right now...

If I were in charge at disney (sigh, wouldn't that be lovely?) here is what I would offer. :)
1. Sugar Free Jello (some kids DO have obesity problems, diabetes, and other issues that make having sugar free jello as an option a good idea!)
2. Applesauce (I have nothing against applesauce, heck, my kids will probably chose it almost every time!)
and then I would add as a choice
3. A cookie, nothing huge, but a nice cookie. (And I think that this would make almost everyone happy)

I think one of the reasons ice cream isn't offered is because Disney knows that we want it and if it isn't offered then we will either buy it oop or use a snack credit. It's just smart marketing for them if you look at it that way.

I like this concept. My only idea would be, could we vary the choices by restaurant. I have no problem with having jello or applesauce as a choice, BUT maybe it could be Restaurant A has sf jello, applesauce, and a cookie, Restaurant B has a different flavor sf jello, a fruit cup, and a brownie. Restaurant C has a sf cookie, pudding cup, and fresh fruit, etc.

Like they do with Adult CS desserts. I may not like the choice at Restaurant A, but that's ok, because when I go to Restaurant B I can get something else. Make sense?

If you are there for one day, jello is fine. A week, and it starts to get old.

A little variety is all I am asking for. If the jello stays as the only option, I will give my kids my dessert, as I don't need it anyway. LOL

But choices are always a good thing.

I don't understand why they are getting jumped on for wanting the option.:confused3 ?

As long as the healthy choices are there too, then what does it matter? Any parent on any given day can make the choice for their child. I guess that is what I'm having trouble. I personally don't care as long as it is parental choice. So for those parents for whom SF Jello and applesauce are dessert, then perfect! Disney has that as an option. But clearly, there are plenty of parents that don't feel that SF Jello or applesauce = dessert.

I grew up not thinking that I got dessert at every meal. But when I did get dessert, I wanted a slice of cake or a cookie. Typically my mom made a nice dessert for Sunday. Then however long it lasted was how long we got dessert. So by definition for me based on childhood experience etc. dessert = something rich and gooey. Jello is for when you're sick. Seriously you either dump fruit or :scared1: carrots (yuck!) in it for a salad or it is forced down your throat post surgery. And applesauce never even crossed my lips. I can't gag it down. I hate the texture. But for some, Jello is a treat. Just not in my definition. I don't care what websters or anybody else says.

I'm not going to tell you how to define dessert. If Jello works for you, wonderful! If unsweetened applesauce works great! Just allow others the right to express their dissatisfaction with the status quo without feeling like they are personally responsible for the obesity problem in children. It is a vacation!

Anyway.....

popcorn::

ITA w/ this statement. While DD just turning 6 likes sugar free jello and applesauce this is HER vacation too and just a little variety would be greatly appreciated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter