Yet another Jello Response

Lots of research already links sugar to obesity. :lmao:

I'm not really sure why you feel it neccesary to laugh at me(at least that's how I took your post). Of course excess amounts of sugar cause obesity, but that doesn't make artificial sweeteners the answer. That's just not a logical argument. The real answer is to eat less sugary foods and more healthy foods. Sugar free jello, diet soda, etc are not healthy just because they don't have sugar - they're just have no calories. The new research is showing that most artificial sweeteners ar econsumed by people with weight issues (either current or past). Most people without weight issues drink regualr soda in moderation, eat healthy foods, have an occaisional sugary snack and don't obsess over the sugar in their food.

Also, keep in mind we are talking about children here. Not already heavy adults, not obese children, not you or me. children are still growing and their nutritional requirements are vastly different then an adults. Toddlers still need to drink whole milk - not low fat or skim, they don't need to worry about cholseterol and they don't need artificial sweeteners.

If you love them and think they are the best thing since sliced bread - good for you and feel free to consume them in copious quantities if you wish - you'll get no argument from me. Just don't tell other people that we should allow our children to consume there chemically altered sugar substitues and don't laugh when I point out that new research questions whether these artificial sweeteners really help in the battle against obesity.

Sorry, but I cannot believe the controversy here.

If you do not want your kids to eat sugar free Jell-o, throw it away or tell the CM you do not want it! If the unsweetened applesauce is an option, you can get that, which is about as natural as any processed food can be. If you want ice cream for your kids, use a snack credit to get one, or pay a few bucks of your own money to buy one. No one is preventing you from getting any of those items--they're not maybe not included on the DDP kids' meal. If it's that big of a deal for you, then don't get the DDP.

The DDP for kids is such a bargain that it will pay for itself even if you paid OOP for an ice cream each day for your child. You're spending thousands on a Disney vacation, and I can't understand why a tiny cup of Jell-o is causing such stress here.

I'm prepared for the flames, by the way.

I suppose they feel like they're getting ripped off, paying for a dining plan that includes dessert and then only being offered one dessert for the kids...and either the kids don't like that dessert or the parents prefer that they don't have artificially sweetened food.

But I do not see how one can justify claiming that they are being ripped off because you are only paying 10.99 for a 2 meals, 2 drinks, and a snack. You can not even get a child’s character breakfast for that price. SO for us (we are doing 4 character breakfast, and 4 character dinners with our DD) it is a still even with the gross sugar free jell-o. If someone feels as though that the lack of choices for kids desert on DDP means Disney is ripping them off then I will say it again do not participate in DDP.

Sorry, but I cannot believe the controversy here.

If you do not want your kids to eat sugar free Jell-o, throw it away or tell the CM you do not want it! If the unsweetened applesauce is an option, you can get that, which is about as natural as any processed food can be. If you want ice cream for your kids, use a snack credit to get one, or pay a few bucks of your own money to buy one. No one is preventing you from getting any of those items--they're not maybe not included on the DDP kids' meal. If it's that big of a deal for you, then don't get the DDP.

The DDP for kids is such a bargain that it will pay for itself even if you paid OOP for an ice cream each day for your child. You're spending thousands on a Disney vacation, and I can't understand why a tiny cup of Jell-o is causing such stress here.

I'm prepared for the flames, by the way.

No flames from me. I agree. When we went we had enough desserts from the adult meals, which most in our group did not want, to feed all the kids who did want one.

You have threads complaining about the lack of healthy food, then you have threads complaining about the lack of desserts for kids, then you have the there is way too much food for anyone eat all of it, especially desserts, I sometimes think Disney is the vacation everyone loves to hate.

If I truly had to get this upset over jello, or anything that I would eat at Disney, I would simply just stop going. It would no longer be any fun.

I do know that if Disney gets enough complaints, eventually they will just either drop it completely or raise the prices. Then we will have the threads complaining about that, and I certainly hope everyone remembers what lead to that.

I'm not really sure why you feel it neccesary to laugh at me(at least that's how I took your post).
Please don't take it that way. The laugh was directed at the research, and the fact that the medical discipline we're talking about is so incredibly disorganized and self-contradictory.

Of course excess amounts of sugar cause obesity, but that doesn't make artificial sweeteners the answer.
This isn't the best forum for a medical discussion, so I'll cut my reply short. The reality is that many reasonable people, including well-regarded medical professionals, feel that artificial sweeteners are at least part of "the answer" (even for children). Please let's agree to disagree about the medical issue, at least in this forum, and allow each other to recommend to others what we each prefer to recommend. :hippie:

While some guests will feel as you do, other guests won't. I feel that, while they weren't necessarily required to, Disney providing two choices, one with artificial sweeteners and one without, is a perfect solution to that. YMMV!

I do know that if Disney gets enough complaints, eventually they will just either drop it completely or raise the prices. Then we will have the threads complaining about that, and I certainly hope everyone remembers what lead to that.
I think it would take more than complaints. People would actually have to start making their purchasing decisions in line with the complaints. If folks complain, but the net-effect of the situation is that more and more people continue to patronize (WDW, WDW resorts, WDW dining, etc.), then they'll continue to do as they're doing.

I'm just thankful that I have the DIS boards to prepare me for the kids dining choices. As I mentioned, last year I was stunned that my DS8 couldn't get ice cream for desert at Teppanyaki at DISNEY WORLD. No, it was not a big deal to give him my ice cream, it just seemed weird. This year I will be prepared to buy him some deserts. Its not worth getting upset about on my magical vacation, but I do empathize with those who have a problem with it.

But I do not see how one can justify claiming that they are being ripped off because you are only paying 10.99 for a 2 meals, 2 drinks, and a snack. You can not even get a child’s character breakfast for that price. SO for us (we are doing 4 character breakfast, and 4 character dinners with our DD) it is a still even with the gross sugar free jell-o. If someone feels as though that the lack of choices for kids desert on DDP means Disney is ripping them off then I will say it again do not participate in DDP.

People think what they want. Many think all-inclusive should mean all-inclusive, which would extend to the children's desserts, no matter what they're paying for them. A lot are surprised that the kids can't get ice cream or cake when the adults have those choices.

I agree if one does not like the way DDP works, they shouldn't participate, or they should expect having to purchase certain items outside the plan. As some have said, it's still a deal. And why is it a problem to use a snack credit to get some ice cream if the kids don't like the CS dessert?

I do empathize with those who have a problem with it.
As do I. :grouphug: WDW is fraught with circumstances that the less-informed guest must struggle with. It's a shame that there isn't a way to satisfy both the need for low costs and the need for simplicity. :(

No flames from me. I agree. When we went we had enough desserts from the adult meals, which most in our group did not want, to feed all the kids who did want one.

You have threads complaining about the lack of healthy food, then you have threads complaining about the lack of desserts for kids, then you have the there is way too much food for anyone eat all of it, especially desserts, I sometimes think Disney is the vacation everyone loves to hate.

If I truly had to get this upset over jello, or anything that I would eat at Disney, I would simply just stop going. It would no longer be any fun.

ITA and for those who think the applesauce is the answer - the one I tried at Christmas time - unsweetened was not that great and I love applesauce.

QUOTE:
Maybe there should be a set plan per person then everyone can eat everything and I'd be happy to pay for it.

The onlly other meal plan we ever tried was the food and fun plan in 1997. You paid $50 per day per person and got $55 in food credit for it. You had to do it for each person and for the length of stay. Any unused credits were lost. It could be used for any meal or combination of meals on any days during the trip. It also included lots of free recreational activities so while the food discount wasn't that much (10%) the boat rental more than made up for it. The best part was that it included all food and drink items. We spent $110 on dinner at CG for the 2 of us which used up one whole day's credits if you figured it by the day instead of a total for the trip. The really funny part of that trip was that the room package included breakfast so we were trying to use up $110 a day on lunch and dinner. Fortunately it included alcohol so we made out okay and only had few dollars left on the account the last day when we checked out.
I don't know if some similar plan but without the recreation would be more agreeable to some people today allowing them to use the credits anywhere, anyway and saving 10%. Then they wouldn't have to worry about that jello issue just order a'lacarte. As one poster stated earlier - the jello issue is there whether you use the DDP or pay OOP for a child's meal - that is the dessert for the meal. I myself prefer the DDP as it is today but again that is just my personal opinion.

I also agree if you don't like how it works, don't use it, but not everyone plans their trips and research it like a lot of us do. They read the DDP brochure and never look at a menu. Unfortunately, that can lead to disappointment - I don't think it would be unreasonable for someone who doesn't plan much to think that your child will get more to choose from with dessert than just jello at WDW. Also, some people wouldn't think in the way of - it's only 10.99/ day for my child's meal plan - they would think at the total spent on the DDP, be it $500, $600, $700 etc. You can't please everyone, but when WDW makes decisions like only offering jello for children's desserts at CS, I wonder where the logic is.

I agree with akalittleeva.

The DDP is sold as a dining plan offering CS entrees (or combo meals) with desserts and beverages. The brochure doesn't mention limitations (or Jello). I doubt that the average WDW visitors, who doesn't have hours of DIS time logged, has any clue that sugar-free Jello is the only CS dessert offering for their children. Many people don't see SF Jello as a dessert (especially when on vacation) and others choose not to give their children artificial sweetners. I can see these folks feeling quite gyped when told that if Junior wants a cookie or an ice cream, it will have to be paid for OOP. Mom and Dad shelled out hundreds of dollars for this dining plan, part of thousands for a WDW vacation, and could feel like they're being nickeled and dimed with that sort of information.

I also agree that in the grand scope of things, this is not a big deal at all. My DD eats SF Jello, never has dessert at a CS and we don't do DDP, so I am completely unaffected by the whole controversy. But, I can see why people could be upset.

I also agree if you don't like how it works, don't use it, but not everyone plans their trips and research it like a lot of us do. They read the DDP brochure and never look at a menu. Unfortunately, that can lead to disappointment - I don't think it would be unreasonable for someone who doesn't plan much to think that your child will get more to choose from with dessert than just jello at WDW. Also, some people wouldn't think in the way of - it's only 10.99/ day for my child's meal plan - they would think at the total spent on the DDP, be it $500, $600, $700 etc. You can't please everyone, but when WDW makes decisions like only offering jello for children's desserts at CS, I wonder where the logic is.

They say it's for health reasons, that's why there is sugar free jello and unsweetened applesauce. But the parents can always go and get the kid something less healthy if they want, so I don't really see where that is logical. Unless, of course, Disney can go to the press or the food police or Congress or whoever and say, hey, look at how much we care about the kids, we've eliminated the unhealthy desserts for their meals.

There was some study referred to when all this started that said if the healthy items were offered as the primary choice, the parents would order the healthy items. I would have liked to know if the study also tracked them to the ice cream cart after lunch.

We are going in September and have purchased DDP. DD 11, of course is considered an adult and then we have DD5. To be honest DD5 would love the choice of applesauce and we always tend to taste each other's dishes at times. And she wouldn't mind the jello. I do feel that we are getting a wonderful deal for her because $10 wouldn't stretch too far w/out the DDP.

I can see why some are upset because I do feel like DD5 should at least be offered a few choices so she feels that she gets to "pick" what she wants like the rest of us. Maybe they'll come to a happy medium for all the youngsters.

I too don't feel this is a DDP issue. It is a child's meal choice issue. I can go into any of my local family friendly restaurants. The kiddos can all choose something to their liking. They get to pick and entree, side, drink and dessert. Why, oh why can't Disney do the same????

At my local fast food restaurants we can do the same, never a problem.....If you want apples and carmel sauce great, if you want milk or soda, great--they meet the needs of the consumer in a consumer friendly way and a trans fat free way.

Someone above mentioned that you spend 1000's on a Disney trip, and yes we all spend 1000's on a Disney trip so I especially think they should be consumer and family friendly so I don't have to go to three CS restaurants at once to satisfy the family.

Lets hope they come up with better choices to please everyone. It won't be hard...Even if they just added a scoop of ice cream...an ice cream sandwich...something other than yucky jello and yucky no sugar apple sauce, I'm sure that would be a great addition.

I'm hoping for a few more choices!:hippie:

I agree. It is not a DDP issue but a child's meal options issue. Perhaps they are related though, but I really think DIsney just made a big mistake.

We ran into the new children's menus on our last trip and I was not happy about it. I did feel like they lied to me when they said desserts were included with the childs meals on the DDP. If you look at the portions the apple sauce or jello is really a side item with the meal and not a dessert. The amount of food would not feed a 5 year old. The lack of choices made the entire vacation a little less magical for us and our youngest child.

I think Disney made a big mistake. We go for the kids and if my youngest gets treated like a second class citizen I very well might decide to go somewhere else instead.

In fact we are taking a break from WDW this year.

I don't know if it's a childs meal choice issue unless you're on the dining plan, because dining plan customers are required to order from the kids' menu for children under 10. If you are not on the dining plan you have the option of not purchasing the kids' meals, and of buying alternate desserts.

I had a burger at Cosmic Rays on my last trip and I noticed that the children's meals did not include a burger option. But if you were not on the dining plan, you could buy a regular burger for your kid. (of course then you get into the "Why should I have to pay full price to get the kid a burger?") Heck, you could do that even if you were on the dining plan, but then you probably weren't planning to pay anything out of pocket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter