• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wow the non UK part of this has a tough crowd.

She is 19, I know that she is old enough to look after herself (lives away term time :rotfl:), but I'm still a little worried. Mostly because she has other health issues which may cause some issues. But LIFE IS FOR LIVING and we have brought her up to never let them stop her doing things.

Having said that I want her to go and have a great time, but it wont stop me being happiest when she gets back off the plane ;)

She is 19, I know that she is old enough to look after herself (lives away term time :rotfl:), but I'm still a little worried. Mostly because she has other health issues which may cause some issues. But LIFE IS FOR LIVING and we have brought her up to never let them stop her doing things.

Having said that I want her to go and have a great time, but it wont stop me being happiest when she gets back off the plane ;)

Sounds like normal Mum behaviour to me :goodvibes I try to switch it off, but find it impossible! Trouble is think I'm getting worse, I watched Cinderella in HD at the cinema on Sat with DD (17!) and found myself all emotional when she cried after the ugly sisters ripped her dress so she couldn't go the ball - I really felt for her - had to remind myself it was a cartoon:laughing:

I remember your post and that thread! Some people were SO rude!

You have to go read the thread about the Fastpass changes at EE - that took flaming to a whole new level :eek:

I have just found the UK forum so hopefully see you guys around :thumbsup2

I remember your post and that thread! Some people were SO rude!

You have to go read the thread about the Fastpass changes at EE - that took flaming to a whole new level :eek:

I have just found the UK forum so hopefully see you guys around :thumbsup2

welcome to the flameless board!!!!!! not only flameless, but lots and lots of fantastic information!! especially if you go to WDW from overseas!
i've learned so much here over the years and saved a bundle of money!!!

by the way, what forum was the FP thread on?

This board is always my first port of call, I think because it's so small it is more friendly.

I visit the podcast board too which is ok, but whisper this as they claim it's not the case, it's a bit cliquey...

I also visit the cruise board as we cruise a bit now too and I saw your big thread there Beth, there can be a case of 'I'm right you're wrong' over there

:goodvibes

I am sorry to say that a few of us have always thought the the UK posters were much more polite. I have always enjoyed the boards here.

It's sad that there are so many sitting at the computer waiting to go in for the "kill"

Wow that comment from her was so harsh...we don't have children yet but Im pretty sure when we do we can't afford for me to stay home every day after maternity leave and the thought of being criticised from some random person on a forum (which is meant to be about fun holiday planning) who has never met me, is pretty sick.

Not just on dis, I hate how judgmental people can become when they hide behind a computer screen. They don't even know the full story and yet they are ready to make snap assumptions and beat everyone down with their "I know best" attitude. Makes me sad to see people behave that way :sad2: it's so unnecessary...I'm just glad I don't know people like that in real life!

Claire-Bear said:
Not just on dis, I hate how judgmental people can become when they hide behind a computer screen. They don't even know the full story and yet they are ready to make snap assumptions and beat everyone down with their "I know best" attitude. Makes me sad to see people behave that way :sad2: it's so unnecessary...I'm just glad I don't know people like that in real life!

yep, the Internet can be a scary place.
This has gotten quite a bit of attention but just in case someone hadn't seen it here is comedian Jason Manford's now famous blog about Internet 'trolls'

http://www.jasonmanford.com/the-gary-barlow-tragedy-and-internet-idiots/

well, i have a slightly different take on this, about 4 yrs ago i posted on the DISabilities thread, about my autistic son, cue a huge debate on whether my asd kid should get prioritiesm be allowed a pushchair (that old cherry, he was 8) it errupted into a huge brawl and character assignation ( i was basically a bad person for giving birth to an asd kid).... i posted on fb i had got into a dis fight and everyone, and i mean everyone on here jumped to my defense, inc ukdeb as a mod, and a few others who i havent seen around anymore (tim was one of them..) so i later got a pm from mod saying she d been away for the day and was very sorry etc.
my point is fb and dis can work side by side (my problem is i cant link fb names to dis log ins lol! and not only are we a freindly bunch but we also defend each other when necc.

i love my old dissers and looking forward to meeting the new ones xx

The OP here back from a fab trip. Best laugh is, I need never have even asked the question. Both girls were far too tired after the days events followed by the a fab dining plan meal to even want to go out any extra nights on on their own :rotfl:

Now my eldest is planning a week aboard with her pals, before she returns to uni :scared1: - now I need to worry :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Now I wish I was having that to worry about. The holiday plans are off

My eldest has just had a scan and another mass has been found - this time in her kidney. I can't believe this is happening again, so so scared- She had a 20cm pelvic mass removed 2 1/2 years ago (and she was only a size 8 couldn't believe it was in there) - luckly it was non malig. The whole thing put us all through the wringer, as all the docs thought that it was cancer and also it was very complicated to remove Took 3 weeks to get the opp team together. The opp day was hell, she is diabetic which lead to all sorts of comps during and after the opp. Not sure if I can go through this again.

She is being so brave and has gone off to the cimema with friends. She is so amazing and never gets cross about anything to do with all the health problems she has faced. She just said well its there so I just have to get on with it.- Wish I could face this the same way.

Feal so so sick right now

My eldest has just had a scan and another mass has been found - this time in her kidney. I can't believe this is happening again, so so scared- She had a 20cm pelvic mass removed 2 1/2 years ago (and she was only a size 8 couldn't believe it was in there) - luckly it was non malig. The whole thing put us all through the wringer, as all the docs thought that it was cancer and also it was very complicated to remove Took 3 weeks to get the opp team together. The opp day was hell, she is diabetic which lead to all sorts of comps during and after the opp. Not sure if I can go through this again.

She is being so brave and has gone off to the cimema with friends. She is so amazing and never gets cross about anything to do with all the health problems she has faced. She just said well its there so I just have to get on with it.- Wish I could face this the same way.

I am so sorry I don't have any words to say so I hope this :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug: helps

I hope you don't mind me jumping in since I am an American. I just wanted to express my dismay that any of you have experienced nastiness on the Dis from Americans. I'm so saddened that this is your thought that we are all like that. We are not. I can certainly see why you could think so, and I have been flamed for a comment or two, but please give other forums another chance. I usually click on the New Posts to see if there is something I can help someone with or something I can learn about. If it's too mean, I usually leave the post without getting involved. But not before I read simply awful and mean things spouted off! That's really a shame that it happens so frequently. Hope you don't mind my intrusion. And, OP, I'm really glad you had a good holiday.

I know you don't know me at all, but my heart goes out to you! You've done an amazing job raising your daughter to have such a bright attitude about everything. It is always harder to be the one to look on, especially when you're the Mother!! Hugs and prayers sent your way.:hug:

disneychic2 said:
I hope you don't mind me jumping in since I am an American. I just wanted to express my dismay that any of you have experienced nastiness on the Dis from Americans. I'm so saddened that this is your thought that we are all like that. We are not. I can certainly see why you could think so, and I have been flamed for a comment or two, but please give other forums another chance. I usually click on the New Posts to see if there is something I can help someone with or something I can learn about. If it's too mean, I usually leave the post without getting involved. But not before I read simply awful and mean things spouted off! That's really a shame that it happens so frequently. Hope you don't mind my intrusion. And, OP, I'm really glad you had a good holiday.
:

Not at all. I don't think anyone thinks 'Americans are like that', or we wouldn't all be going there on holiday ;)

I think it's more about size. The other parts of the DIS are so fast moving with so many more posters that there will often be a higher percentage of perceived 'nastiness' and even trolling. Whereas here it much smaller, more tight knit with not so many posters.

I'd equate it to feeling less safe walking through New York at night than you might when walking through a sleepy Yorkshire village ;)

So sorry to hear this - hope they can get her in quick to get it investigated/taken out :grouphug:

No worries - it doesn't stop me from going to other boards at all and I agree totally with what Luke said. Also I don't know that it is always Americans that are nasty - I'm sure there are lots from other nationalities too!! Maybe seems more sometimes because a large majority of posters are from the US though but it would take more than a handful of rude people to put me off a nation ;)

i am so sorry!!! i don't think there is anything more difficult than having to watch our children suffer.....and feel so helpless....wanting to do something...anything...
you should be very proud of your brave girl!!! you must have done something right to raise a brave girl like that!!

you're all in my prayers!

Don't really know what to say as I don't know you but I am thinking of you and your family. You obviously have a very brave daughter who has been raised beautifully. :grouphug:

As I am back on here again (thought we had out grown the orlando parks- lol but are going back again at xmas) so I decided I would update this old thread. My eldest is now about to graduate and to top that has stayed out of hospital for nearly a whole year. She is just about to do a months tour of europe with some of her uni mates . And best of all even although she starts her first proper job in sept and is in the process of buying her 1st flat she still wants to come on holiday with us woooow so will be cruising with us in the summer and she is coming to orlando with us at xmas.

Just thought I would fill in the gap to let you know she was OK in the end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter