• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wow the non UK part of this has a tough crowd.

Good theory and I understand where you're coming from, but the tight-knit UK DIS community pre-dates Facebook by almost a decade. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that Facebook has killed the UK Community board to some extent and I'm pretty sure the Comm mods would agree with me. It's just how it is.

The meets, admittedly, have been responsible for some of my closest friendships, but I'd still stick my neck out and claim that the friendly nature of the boards is the reason for the meets and ensuing relationships, rather than the other way around. :)

Spot on Deb, I remember the good old days of the UK Community board way before Facebook and it was alive with active posts and posters, and moved so fast there were days when even 3 mods struggled to keep on top. Im not sure those days will ever return but Mandy and I live in hope, even though we both agree that there is a place for both.:)

So come on guys/gals pop over and have some fun with us as well, I promise you, you wont get shouted at or flamed:goodvibes

Totally agree, the uk comm hardly moves these days, you see old faces back posting when its someones birthday who hardly comes on the boards anyway, and then thats it!!
I have been on the boards for over 13 years now and miss all the vibrant activity that used to go on! come on guys ditch facebook and post on the boards :rotfl:

disneyholic family said:
by the way, there is another board on the dis that has very nice people on it: the dis unplugged board....some really nice people there!!
and the podcast is very entertaining to listen to as well!

There is another subforum that is very friendly...the Australian one!!! Come visit if you ever feel bored

Totally agree, the uk comm hardly moves these days, you see old faces back posting when its someones birthday who hardly comes on the boards anyway, and then thats it!!
I have been on the boards for over 13 years now and miss all the vibrant activity that used to go on! come on guys ditch facebook and post on the boards :rotfl:

i prefer the disboards to FB...
i think it's easier for me to follow threads here..
and somehow it seems less open to the public here...
i guess i don't want to 'burden' all of my FB friends with my ravings... :)

Creeping out of lurkdom to post........

I agree. I was quite shocked by the flames someone got for a fairly mild suggestion of what would make the dining plan better. But what shocked me more was the response from a mod, basically saying ....'I'm sorry you original poster were too stupid to reserach what you were getting when you paid your $$. If you don't like it stay away from Disney....' Jeez, the OP had even started off by saying what a great time they'd had overall.

Not breaking any rules exactly, or significant enough to complain about, but not really what I expected from a moderator....

So often I read someone say something I think is perfectly fine - even if I don't agree, then they get mega flamed, they fight back trying to justify themselves and end up saying ridiculous things - things I'm sure on reflection they don't mean at all. The whole thread then disintegrates completely. Its very sad that a few idiots (flamers) disrupt what is basically a fantastic resource.

But yes, the UK Board seems lovely, so maybe I'll be tempted to post a little more and lurk a little less here :thumbsup2

Thanks guys, and keep up the great work. We're planning to go in Oct 2013 and I've already spent more hours planning than for any other holiday - and possibly even more than for my wedding :lmao: I LOVE planning - I'm getting so much pleasure out of surfing these Boards, its hugely increased the 'value' of the holiday - 18 months of fun, not just 2 weeks.

Sencybil xx

Creeping out of lurkdom to post........

I agree. I was quite shocked by the flames someone got for a fairly mild suggestion of what would make the dining plan better. But what shocked me more was the response from a mod, basically saying ....'I'm sorry you original poster were too stupid to reserach what you were getting when you paid your $$. If you don't like it stay away from Disney....' Jeez, the OP had even started off by saying what a great time they'd had overall.

Not breaking any rules exactly, or significant enough to complain about, but not really what I expected from a moderator....

So often I read someone say something I think is perfectly fine - even if I don't agree, then they get mega flamed, they fight back trying to justify themselves and end up saying ridiculous things - things I'm sure on reflection they don't mean at all. The whole thread then disintegrates completely. Its very sad that a few idiots (flamers) disrupt what is basically a fantastic resource.

But yes, the UK Board seems lovely, so maybe I'll be tempted to post a little more and lurk a little less here :thumbsup2

Thanks guys, and keep up the great work. We're planning to go in Oct 2013 and I've already spent more hours planning than for any other holiday - and possibly even more than for my wedding :lmao: I LOVE planning - I'm getting so much pleasure out of surfing these Boards, its hugely increased the 'value' of the holiday - 18 months of fun, not just 2 weeks.

Sencybil xx

the planning is at least as much fun as the trip itself!!!

i've also noticed that about some of the moderators on the other boards...
some of them seem even nastier than the posters themselves...
perhaps it's a case of cultural differences (i'm an american, but it's so many years since i've lived in america, i'm really not an american anymore)....

or maybe it's that the mods on the other boards have drunk the koolaid to such an extent that they view any negative comments as illegal posting......

whatever, i love the UK board....great posters and great moderators!!!!! :goodvibes

you would think that disney people are nicer than other people, but just the opposite...

i've gotten some of the rudest responses from the most 'disney' people there are....so odd...
do they take classes in writing exceedingly rude responses?
they must learn it somewhere....how to write so that the recipient will feel like a completely worthless idiot?

It's like that on the Dxxx board also, some of the messages on there are plain nasty, seem to have it in for men in a bad way on the chat and news board. Had some terrible responses on their, more than on any other board.

It's like that on the Dxxx board also, some of the messages on there are plain nasty, seem to have it in for men in a bad way on the chat and news board. Had some terrible responses on their, more than on any other board.

well i can understand being rude to men!!! ;)

Wow, I am sorry you have experienced some rude people on these boards.:confused::eek::sad2: I am American, and I have to agree with the orignal poster that if we were in a foreign country, I would be afraid to let my daughters stay out alone so late. Actually, I would be nervous about it to let my own stay out here. WDW is relatively safe, I feel, but you do still need to be careful. It's a mom's job to worry, right?
I met some very nice people from the UK last time I was at MK, and really enjoyed talking to them. I love to meet people from other places and walks of life, there is always something interesting to learn from other's lives.
Hope everyone has good Disney trips!:)

I have to agree. I am relative newbie to these boards and I am going on only my 2nd visit to WDW with my DBF next month and I admit, I have had LOTS of questions. I have posted the majority on this part of the forum and a few on the other one (if you know what I mean :rolleyes1) and I havent had many problems but some of the responses you get sometimes are off putting! :confused:

I am here to learn, not to have peoples opinions forced upon me!! Other than the few nasty people, everyone else is lovely :goodvibes

Tip for everyone: don't ever use "bath" as a verb (as in "how often do you bath your toddler?"). It would appear that bath as a verb is not recognised on the DIS as British English and is "hick" speak. :lmao:

I really try to just think, "uh, OK" and move on. It's hard sometimes. :lmao:

I'm from the US part and I've gotten flamed before for saying that I have age limits for things my children would be allowed to do. On the cruise thread I said that I believed MY child was too young to wonder about the ship alone, even though Disney allows a child her age to do so.

One poster told me that I was what was wrong with society.

Sorry for your bad experience. Some people never learn that just because they CAN say something doesn't mean they SHOULD say something. It's like CB karate back in the 70s. People with CB radios would say anything they pleased on air because they could do so with immunity. They had no filter between their brain and their mouth.
Some people have no filter between their brain and their keyboard.

The OP here back from a fab trip. Best laugh is, I need never have even asked the question. Both girls were far too tired after the days events followed by the a fab dining plan meal to even want to go out any extra nights on on their own :rotfl:

Now my eldest is planning a week aboard with her pals, before she returns to uni :scared1: - now I need to worry :rotfl2::rotfl2:

The OP here back from a fab trip. Best laugh is, I need never have even asked the question. Both girls were far too tired after the days events followed by the a fab dining plan meal to even want to go out any extra nights on on their own :rotfl:

Now my eldest is planning a week aboard with her pals, before she returns to uni :scared1: - now I need to worry :rotfl2::rotfl2:

how old is she?

DD went on her first overseas trip on her own when she was 22.
she went backpacking in southeast asia for 3 months...
a very maturing experience for her and she loved it!!!

she actually flew to thailand on her own and then joined up with other groups of backpackers there...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter