WOW! 7 days on the DDP & SIGNIFICANT $avings for us!-even with credits left over!

Snip

The sandwiches were HUGE and gorgeous. I'd heard pretty dismal reviews about this place so was pretty shocked. They'd looked good in the case, far more appealing than any of the pastries (which didn't look bad mind you, the sandwiches just looked BETTER!). Mine had pepperocini's, super thick moist mozzarella and lots of juicy turkey, Probably some other stuff too but that's what I recall. The bread was moist and appropriately a little greasy on top (that buttery/oily feeling good focaccia should have) and was just fabulous! I swear it was a whole sandwich, two big wedges an I wish I had a picture to prove it to myself as when we ran into the same sandwich elsewhere, it was only one half.

Tink had the same thing and it was here the eating turned habits around for the trip, she ate better from then on. She gobbled it up. Steven and Goofy had the ham and said it was incredible. Wall-E inhaled his muffin so it must have been ok. We had lovely CM's and lovely lovely food, I'd eat there again in a heart beat. Truly it turned around the morning. Cranky west coasters, you'd think I'd gotten them up at 6am! Oh wait, I guess I did (7am at any rate our time).

We headed over to the Indiana Jones show and I popped into the "lounge" for 50's PTC. What a great selection of beers! About 4 on tap but then also a gluten free option and an organic option. Who knew! 2 drafts of Yuengling later to take into the stunt show and all was well. While it may be the oldest brewery in the US, as NW beer snobs we'd never had it before (though the name rang a bell). It was a lager but had such wonderful full flavor and hops it beats most I've ever had (which are a bit wimpy for us hop heads). Refreshing! The lounge was adorable and pretty busy for late afternoon but I was acknowledged right away by the bartender and served quickly after he nicely answered my beer questions. We were eating there later that night so it was wonderful to get such a good vibe already!

I'm so glad to hear a good report for SR lunch. That is where I plan to eat a CS lunch on our trip next month. We've tried every other CS place there and never been happy. I do recall seeing a pic of the sandwiches quite a while ago and they did look good, so I'm glad to hear they taste good too!

It's funny that you mention the Yuengling. The Yeungling brewery is only about 30 minutes from where I live and it's our beer of choice! My BIL moved out to the Pacific Northwest (Seattle) 11 years ago and I head out there about once a year for work. He always requests at least a case of the stuff when I come since he can't get it out there and misses it so much! I'm glad you liked it!

I'm so glad to hear a good report for SR lunch. That is where I plan to eat a CS lunch on our trip next month. We've tried every other CS place there and never been happy. I do recall seeing a pic of the sandwiches quite a while ago and they did look good, so I'm glad to hear they taste good too!

It's funny that you mention the Yuengling. The Yeungling brewery is only about 30 minutes from where I live and it's our beer of choice! My BIL moved out to the Pacific Northwest (Seattle) 11 years ago and I head out there about once a year for work. He always requests at least a case of the stuff when I come since he can't get it out there and misses it so much! I'm glad you liked it!

That's where we are! And with the wealth of good beers out here to choose from it can make traveling and finding what we want, a little disappointing at times.

It was quite good. It's hard to find a decent domestic on tap that isn't billing itself as a microbrewery. In FL, in the past, we've had a hard time finding much of a selection be it at the grocery store or at most restaurants and bars bottled or on tap. For our cabin delivery order the best we could find was some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Which, while you can't go wrong with, we'd much rather have tried a FL microbrew (though I've only had a couple I can think of...Big River Brewery at the Boardwalk being one, on a previous trip, and the other was in the Keys...something like "Sunset ale").

Our WS beers, the Spaten Ocktoberfest and the Sapporo were good but I'd say "met" our expectations of what we'd find in those pavilions. This was a nice surprise. We had a couple other nice surprises on each of the next days as well. I would say it's one of the better lagers I've ever had, it had lovely color and a nice hoppy nose which I love! I'm not a big lager drinker in general so that's saying a lot!

I made a note to try Starring Rolls for lunch one day... thanks!

So upon his urging I called the FW front desk to confirm that there was not another way to get there. Big mistake. Big. HUGE in fact.
So we hightail it onto an internal bus to the Settlement and while on the bus I get on the phone to the Fort Front Desk and ask for a manager. I get put on hold. And then on hold again (they are looking). On hold again, they apologize for the delay. Finally, at least 5 minutes later, I get a manager. I explain the problem and that due to the misinformation (which I QUESTIONED as being correct and was assured it was) we were going to be very very late for our dinner reservation and that I needed him to fix it. He said he'd take care of it and call me back.
**Slightly off-topic**
I just wanted to make sure you knew that calling the "front desk" from your room doesn't actually go to your resort's front desk. So when you talked with the manager later it wasn't actually any of their employees that made that mistake. "Front Desk" phone calls from the room go to a central call center, so they were the ones who gave you that unfortunate misinformation. It was great that the manager was able to help you out anyways and hopefully he/she reported it to the call center so they stop giving the bad info out!

Anyways, your reviews have been great so far, keep 'em up!

**Slightly off-topic**
I just wanted to make sure you knew that calling the "front desk" from your room doesn't actually go to your resort's front desk. So when you talked with the manager later it wasn't actually any of their employees that made that mistake. "Front Desk" phone calls from the room go to a central call center, so they were the ones who gave you that unfortunate misinformation. It was great that the manager was able to help you out anyways and hopefully he/she reported it to the call center so they stop giving the bad info out!

Anyways, your reviews have been great so far, keep 'em up!

And it does seem to increase the potential for bad info versus having smaller call teams at each resort given how very very different each locations transportation options can be. I was told that later by someone at the fort's "real" front desk.

I'm sticking to the boat drivers, they always gave me some great tips!

I just finished reading your reviews and I really love it. Amazing pics you got. It looks you really had a great time. Looking forward for the next review. :)

Have a nice day. :)

After an American Idol filled evening, as soon as the finale show ended (a side note, I'll talk about this in my trip report but wow...we were SO impressed with the quality of the singing! WOW!) we headed over to 50's PTC. Thankfully it was right there as our jackets were in the locker and it had cooled down quite a bit.

The place was hopping! Time after time after time I heard the check in desk tell people they were sold out. I remembered being the sad, large, hungry family who couldn't get in anywhere from previous trips (and in this case several looked cold) and was so grateful for our ADR's and DIS that we were no longer in their shoes. It was 8pm and the park was now closed except for EMH but they were booked all the way until 11! Of course it was President's Day! Yikes. Given our experiences earlier in the week I would NOT let anyone go farther than the bathroom until we were seated. From check in, to the CM who walked us to our table, we had a great vibe from the place. While I had given a general overview of what they do at PTC, apparently all but Scrooge had forgotten.

Upon seating we witnessed, almost immediately a table over being given a hard time by the CM. One of the children not eating their veggies, the "plane" feeding by the CM to the guest and then yes...the famous bean song! We were all cracking up and wondering what we'd get.

Here is our server, a truly wonderful CM.

WDW_090216_0224.jpg

He started right out on Tink. You can tell she didn't exactly hate it by the picture! She was cracking up. And 12 is a sensitive age for this kind of things so I was really glad. And continued picking on Tink for the entire meal. First question up...."did you wash your hands?". Yes. He asked Steven the same question. Then..."What color was the soap?". Did she get it right? NOPE! He played it for the rest of the evening, just an absolute riot. Loved him! Steven was less sold on the whole "style" but warmed up once he realized it was part of the act. We ordered drinks and Scrooge headed out to grab the jackets. This ended up being a bad thing but it doesn't really have anything to do with dinner!.

I ordered one of these. Mom's Picnic Punch. Basically a kind of electric lemonade. It was pretty good, not too sweet although I didn't love it enough to have another. The glow cube was fun though!

WDW_090216_0217.jpg

Scrooge got another Yuengling. Upon drink arrival we ordered our meals and then Scrooge and Steven took off again, this time to grab FP's. Everytime they left, we got picked on. It was pretty funny and this time it seemed like they were gone FOREVER. Which they were. First their tried TSM (didn't reset) then went to RnR and then ToT (Wall-E was jonesing for ToT and no one else wanted to go on it...guess which FP I got!).

Lots of joking during this time, first he's kidding me that they got lost in the bathroom and then...they aren't in the bathroom...they are never coming back...I hope you're hungry...all the time really giving Tink a hard time (in a nice way).

The view from our table. The kids loved watching the tv's and asking me about the shows, not a single one of which they recognized.

WDW_090216_0215.jpg

Kids appetizers and drinks. Salad for Goofy, Soup for Wall-E. As before we let them get our adult drinks so another berries go mega smoothie for Goofy and Wall-E went for the rootbeer float, both of which you can see in the picture.

WDW_090216_0218.jpg

Our entrees arrived before Scrooge and Steven got back! Then we REALLY got a hard time! I was texting like mad lol. Service was consistently fast and good. Almost too fast on the food but I think that's just b/c I was worried the guys weren't back yet.
Scrooge and I had the tuna noodle casserole
WDW_090216_0221.jpg

As you can see it is a full 8oz piece of grilled tuna served on top of the casserole. This was unbelievable good. This is a classic creamy casserole with egg noodles, peppers, mushrooms, onions, carrots, and celery topped with grilled tuna steak and crunchy bread crumbs. The best part for me was no peas! The peppers just made the dish and the cream sauce was very light, heavy at all which was perfect. It never would have occurred to me to set a grilled tuna steak on top and it just really elevated the dish to an entirely different level. The best tuna noodle casserole I've ever had. I intend to try and replicate this at home.

Steven got the pot roast
WDW_090216_0223.jpg

For some reason Steven was very confused. He somehow thought pot roast was actually a stew. He was expecting what sounded like beef stew in a bread bowl and was taken aback by what appeared. How he could think that when the menu says "Slow cooked 'til fork tender, served with mashed potatoes, carrots, celery and onions" I am not sure but...he is a teenager. LOL. He wasn't thrilled with the sauteed veggies on top but loved the pot roast itself.

Tink went for the Salmon. She really wanted the fried chicken but knew we were having it the next night at Hoop De Doo and didn't want it 2 nights in a row. I want to go back just to try the fried chicken. We saw it going out all around us and it looked amazing.

WDW_090216_0222.jpg

The salmon was poached in olive oil, served with sweet peas, brown rice pilaf, and a dill cream sauce. I was proud of Tink on this one. Granted, she loves peas but she really cleared her plate here and she is by far the pickiest eater.

By the time it came for dessert we really weren't all that interested but of course, got a couple of things.

You can check out the dessert menu on the view finder. None of the kids knew what a view finder was. What is up with that?

WDW_090216_0220.jpg

We had:

Bread Pudding, Angel Food Cake with fresh berries, Apple Cobbler ala mode and the Brownie Sundae. I thought I took pictures of these but apparently not. The bread pudding was just ok. I LOVE bread pudding and while I was stuffed, I'd have eaten more if I loved it but it was just ok. I had another bread pudding on the trip later and sadly, a similar experience although that one was slightly better (or perhaps I was less full).

The Apple Cobbler was really good but again, I was full and it was filling! Wall-E ate the ice cream off the top and I snagged a few of the apples and cobbler filling.

Goofy ate all the berries on the angel food cake but Scrooge ate the cake. Tink of course managed to polish off the entire Brownie Sundae.

All in all a really really wonderful meal, incredible service, incredible "show" and I would eat here again in a heartbeat as would the entire gang. My second favorite entree of the trip. Apparently I was on a tuna kick!

Next...A "lazy" day at FW and WL. Roaring Forks, MK snack carts, finding espresso in Fantasy Land, and the Hoop De Doo Review!

:thumbsup2 Your reviews are fabby...can't wait to hear about HDDR as DH has been hankering after this show for a few years now and hopefully we'll be going there during our trip in August

I stumbled out early on our 5th day to head over to WL for a massage, a belated bday gift. Arriving a little early I headed into Roaring Forks to grab some breakfast. The place was PACKED! My hopes of a hot breakfast dashed, I headed over to the make your own parfait bar. Yum! I had yogurt with granola, raisins and berries. A coffee refill and and orange juice and I was ready to go!

I wish I had a picture of this but it was a really nice offering. The hot platters looked good however I really wish they had mickey waffles as an option. I'd like to stay here someday but really want a mickey waffle one of these days!

After the massage, the gang hooked up with me. As the pool at FW was under renovation we had use of WL so we hung out there for a good part of the day, this being our "lazy" day. By this time it was lunch and the gang headed in, in stages.

The winner was....

WDW_090216_0237.jpg

This burger looked amazing. The kids all said it was amazing. 3 out of the 4 kids had one. I really really regret not getting one. I sent Scrooge in to get my lunch when I was ready and ordered a Turkey and Havarti sandwich. I didn't realize it was on foccacia. So, it was basically the same sandwich I'd had at Starring Rolls the day before. And the SR one was a million times better and twice as big. Very Very sad. I should have just tossed it and gone back in for a burger, I don't know what I was thinking! They were made to order and a great selection of toppings out. I'd eat one now if I could!

Scrooge went for seconds (we were burning CS credits at this point) and got the pepperoni flat bread which was beautiful. He said it was good.

A couple of things about RF. They had a great selection of snacks, all clearly labeled "snack". They were ABSOLUTELY enforcing the child CS meals at the grill order line asking when you ordered. I confess to deliberately ordering adult items for both Goofy and Wall-E here. Tink had chosen child CS items twice so I didn't really feel bad, not to mention the fact I knew we weren't even going to come close to using them all. But the reality is that the child burger option was a tiny thing and the nuggets were COMPLETELY different. The kids nuggets were these processed round things. The adult chicken strip option, on the other hand, nice long big pieces.

I'm sure we will be back and I"ll stick to the grill line. This was a very very busy place during the whole day we were there. It's close to the pool but even when the pool wasn't crowded, it was busy.

Scrooge and I did hit the pool bar, which had a lovely selection of beers on tap. We felt like we were back home! Redhook ESB is a standard tap beer at home and we enjoyed it poolside while the kids played and then after Scrooge and Steven got back from their Searaycer adventure.

Next...more MK snacks on our way (in a round about way) to the Hoop De Doo review!

Great reviews so far! We are planning for 15 days in September and I thought I was done until I started reading yours!

That Burger Looks Good Am Hungry Now.

LOL I WENT TO 50'S PRIME TIME CAFE AND ATE AT THE SAME TABLE. LOL I LOVED THEIR DESSERTS.

That Burger Looks Good Am Hungry Now.

LOL I WENT TO 50'S PRIME TIME CAFE AND ATE AT THE SAME TABLE. LOL I LOVED THEIR DESSERTS.

So I can really enjoy their desserts! I loved it there and will definitely go back! We've been to SciFi in the past and while I liked the theme, the food at PTC was SOOOOOO much better, just a totally different level!

After an afternoon of sun and snacks at WL and noticing some rather pink cheeks we decided to pack it in.

We had left a bag in a locker at DHS the night before so Scrooge and Steven headed over to get it while we hit the mercantile and got another round of snacks. The kids were BIG fans of the cookies and Brownies at Roaring Forks and Wall-E and I were happy to have another Mickey Bar!

Finally we headed down to the boat and over to the MK to try and get some rides in before heading back to the Fort to get ready for the Hoop De Doo.

MK, as it had been, was just packed. We checked out wait times and dithered around for a bit. Long enough that I decided I wanted a coffee! We hit a location in fantasy land, right by Belle's story time that made an absolutely wonderful Americano for me as a snack credit. Yum! A few rides and a couple of popcorn cart stops later we headed back to get ready for dinner. Since the HDDR was at "our" resort we were pretty excited. Transportation was easy and it was going to be nice to poke around the Settlement as we really hadn't so far. I'd booked the 9:30 show for a couple of reasons. First it let us get Cat 1 seating on the DDP and given that we were still on west coast time, that was really 6:30, still early in our world for dinner.

It was COLD that night, I think it got down to 49. We took the "free" picture before hand and I actually bought it, I liked it so much.

We LOVED it. All 6 of us.

Our service was excellent, the food just fine (and foods that pleased our whole bunch) and of course DH and I liked the inclusion of wine with the meal! A few pics.

The picture before the show. Optional of course but as photographer we have a shocking lack of group pictures and this one wasn't half bad so I bought the package.

HoopDeeDoo.jpg

our table. I'd actually forgotten I'd booked cat 1 and we were thrilled with the location!
WDW_090217_0147.jpg

Some show pics
WDW_090217_0156.jpg

WDW_090217_0159.jpg

WDW_090217_0163.jpg

WDW_090217_0165.jpg

WDW_090217_0151.jpg

some food pics

The menus is all you can eat, family style (in pails), salad, cornbread, beans, mashed potatoes, fried chicken, ribs and then strawberry shortcake. It includes beer or wine (or sangria). We had the merlot and it wasn't half bad.

The food was good. Basic but tasty and it was really nice to have salad! The big boys loved the ribs (though did ask for more sauce) and the fried chicken had nice texture to it though I thought the white meat pieces were slightly dry. We went through 2 pails of everything except for the beans so it must have been good! The strawberry shortcake was just ok.

WDW_090217_0152.jpg

WDW_090217_0155.jpg

napkin waving
WDW_090217_0162.jpg

dancing waiters (ours is the last pic)
WDW_090217_0166.jpg

WDW_090217_0167.jpg

WDW_090217_0168.jpg

making noise
WDW_090217_0171.jpg

a happy 16 year old
WDW_090217_0176.jpg

All in all I do feel it was a very good use of 2 dining credits and would do it again. While the kids may have loved the food at Teppan the most, they ALL loved this show the most. I'd take them again in a heartbeat.

We loved it!

Enjoying your reviews. My family LOVES kona . I am kind of bummed 'cause I don't think we will make it there this year. (trying new places)

Glad to know you enjoyed your lunch at SR. We eat b'fast there at least once every trip but have never had lunch. Will have to give it a try next trip.

Keep up the good work!

Enjoying your reviews. My family LOVES kona . I am kind of bummed 'cause I don't think we will make it there this year. (trying new places)

Glad to know you enjoyed your lunch at SR. We eat b'fast there at least once every trip but have never had lunch. Will have to give it a try next trip.

Keep up the good work!

It's hard to balance new with favorites I am sure next time DH will want to do only new things but hopefully we can repeat a couple! I think I need to try at least each meal at Kona :)

My DS was so thrilled when I showed him your 50s PTC pictures. We ate there last March and Lookili was our server too--and DS thought he was the greatest ever. He was picking on my daughters so much and sticking up for DS, DS said he was his new best friend.
We will be back 4/11 for DD#2's BDay and I am thinking about requesting Lookili, if he is there. He is great.
Robin M.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter