Would you favor year round schooling?

They have talked about it over the years here, but it was only for the grade schools, not the secondary. I have never had any of my kids in the same school at the same time which is why I would hate it.

If they could work it out so that everyone had the same schedule, I would be interested, but not when its only for one age group.

I understand this completely.
At one time my sister sister had one in HS, one in middle school, one in intermediate school and one in elementary. All over town. It was crazy!!

Yes I would love year round school. I think it's easier on the kids to not have that long summer break but several nice breaks throughout the year.

Yes I would love year round school. I think it's easier on the kids to not have that long summer break but several nice breaks throughout the year.

:lmao:Ask the kids, I'll bet they give a different answer. ;)

Yes, I'd prefer it, and the kids actually thought it was a good idea once I explained it to them; however, my children are abnormal, so take it with a grain of salt. ;) :lmao:

It'll never happen here though--I believe there was already one school that did have the schedule, and was converted a couple years ago to be in line with our schedule again, so I guess it didn't work out too well. Plus, between the severe thunderstorms & hurricane season, who knows how many days they'd actually be in school during the summer.

Also, it would mess up a lot of well-established summer programs... summer camp, sports camps, specialty camps.

Maybe where the weather is warm year round. But up here, the camps are based on the idea that kids will be OUTSIDE swimming, playing, doing sports. They won't be able to do that in winter (and around here, we have a joke... the two seasons are 10 months of winter, and 2 months of tough sledding).
Lots of residential camps have only one winterized building.

I see this as more of a regional ability, those in colder climates might not be able to adapt as well as those in the warmer climates.

The company I work for has a lot of diverse camps, art, computer, sports, specialty and nature. For us we could adapt very easily to this, some of them are indoor camps and could be moved to other times of the year and because of that would be able to offer more spaces for them.

In addition we do have several indoor pools, plus there are quite a few other county and other organizations that have them as well, so we would still be able to offer swimming for the kids.

I specifically work with before and after school care so we would be able to work year round as well by just providing before and after care for both camps and the regular school time.

But then again maybe they could by offering camps like ice skating, skiing and indoor type camps.

And Family Fun Mom- I bet if they knew that they could go to a cool camp they might like it A LOT. :thumbsup2 Our kids here start to get ansty at break times because they are ready for a break and get to go on vacations, visit family, or get to be home with mom and/or dad. :woohoo:

No, I think finding childcare if you need it would be a nightmare.

My daughter goes to summer camp most of the summer- great fun outdoor things. Winter camp would stink, all cold and dreary outside, they would be stuck inside the whole time and if they are stuck in anywhere it might as well be school.

They get enough breaks and days off the entire school year. There is not a mont hthat thye don't have days off. Two weeks in Dec, A week in Feb a week and a half in April..its crazy the amount of days they get off already, they don't need a few weeks on anda few weeks off the whole darn year.

We have a elementary school (it's K to gr 8 ) that is year round in Ontario.
(this was for 2006-2007 year)

school year begins –July 31st
two-week break in October – Oct. 2 to 13 (inclusive)
three-week Christmas break – Dec. 18,to Jan. 5 (inclusive)
one-week break in February – Feb. 5 to 9,
two-week break in March – March 12 to 23 (inclusive)
last day of classes – June 27
summer break – June 28 to July 27 (inclusive)

Would make it nice for a trip to Disney in the off times!!!!

I would love a school calendar like the above because we could cruise during low season and save a lot of money.

I'm not sure..but my youngest son only has one more year left. He's in high school..so it won't be an issue for us. Growing up the kids and I always had great summers..and I was one of the few moms that was sorry to see them go back to school. My friends would call and ask what was going on in camp today. Meaning our house.:laughing: We had the pool, and the beach, and camping. A Disney vacation of course..even if it was in the heat of August! Great times.
Although looking at the dates of the poster who had year round school....they still seemed to have a solid month off in the summer. So..I guess it would work. Only if the entire district didn't do it..it would have been a real issue for us, with kids of various ages. I was one of those who had my youngest start kindergarden, and the oldest start his senior year the same day..with one in between. Would have been really tough to deal with if the entire district wasn't on the same schedule.

My daughter goes to summer camp most of the summer- great fun outdoor things. Winter camp would stink, all cold and dreary outside, they would be stuck inside the whole time and if they are stuck in anywhere it might as well be school.

They get enough breaks and days off the entire school year. There is not a mont hthat thye don't have days off. Two weeks in Dec, A week in Feb a week and a half in April..its crazy the amount of days they get off already, they don't need a few weeks on anda few weeks off the whole darn year.

Winter camp doesn't have to stink though. :thumbsup2 There could be basketball, indoor soccer, art, gymnastics, karate, skiing and even swimming at indoor pools.

This year is the first year that we haven't had that happen and it's mainly because Easter is in April. Depending on when certain holidays fall we have had months where they only went one full week in the entire month. :headache:

I don't have children in school but I would *love it*! :thumbsup2

When school is out for the summer, ALL our relatives who have school aged children decend on us for the summer! They all want to do WDW, Sea World, Universal, Busch Gardens, the beach and on and on and on. They get all pooch lipped if DH and I don't want to go along. It's too hot to go along! We want (and need) to stay inside where it's cool. :goodvibes

The kids even complain about the July heat in FL and get irritable. Can't say that I blame them one bit. But....they must visit when school is out and when school is out...it's HOTTTT!!!!!

I'd be in a better frame of mind when the weather is less hot and humid and much more likely to play "polite hostess". My guess is that our guests would enjoy themselves more also. Longer breaks throughout the school year would make these visits possible.

And Family Fun Mom- I bet if they knew that they could go to a cool camp they might like it A LOT. :thumbsup2

Not my kids. I don't know any kids around here that would rather go all year that way. They enjoy the traditional summer activities like riding their bikes all over the neighborhood, swimming all day, living in a bathing suit, playing hide and seek at night, backyard campouts, baseball games...

Do kids always need to be in structured activities? We get enough of that during the school year. By May we are burnt out and need the break. Summer is for relaxing, having fun, and freeeeeeeedom! Maybe it's just because we live in Michigan and we are stuck indoors all winter. When it's nice out, we are OUT enjoying it. I cannot imagine those poor kids cooped up in a classroom or even a "camp" all day when the sun is shining and birds are chirping. And who wants an extended break in the winter? Winter sucks! Save the time off for summer when the time can really be enjoyed.

As you can probably tell, I'm fond of the summertime. ;)

I would not like year round schooling. I would like them to have less school days than they already have. (180)
I like my kids home. We have a lot of fun!:cutie:

I like the year round because I get more time with them it seems...
Maybe we aren't on TOTAL year round, but it's close.
They started school August 1st
Had a week off in late Sept early Oct
Week off at T'Giving
2 weeks off at Xmas time
Week off in Feb
Week off Spring Break (now)
Out of school the last week of May..

Most schools really only get significant time off at T'Giving and Xmas, and with me in retail, that's when I"m ALWAYS at work, so I like the extra vacations they get with starting earlier and ending later :)
They still have all of June and July off.

Hoping NOT to see year-round schedules here.

I think kids do a lot of maturing over the summer, and the fresh start of each new year is important.

:lmao:Ask the kids, I'll bet they give a different answer. ;)
Not mine, either. But then, we live somewhere with nice weather year-round. Dd thinks it's really sad that some kids don't get winter breaks where they can be ski bums for a few weeks, or fall breaks for uncrowded trips to Disney, and weather here even nicer to go hiking and biking than the hottest summer days.

They still get 5 weeks off in the heat of summer to hang out in a swimsuit all day, and several hours after school each day to do the same.

I would not like year round schooling. I would like them to have less school days than they already have. (180)
I like my kids home. We have a lot of fun!:cutie:
Year round schools don't have more more school days, they are just spread out with more breaks throughout the year, rather than one long break in the summer. I have just as many days with my kids as my traditional-schedule friends do. :)

If it means better grades/performance for the kids then why wouldn't parents be for it?? They say they want their kids to learn better!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter