Would you favor year round schooling?

I lived in AZ for 11 years, and the school district's there are on "modified year-round" where the kids have a shorter summer, two weeks off in the fall, two weeks off for spring break, and month off at Christmas. The only problem I saw with the whole situation was that the school district would often run out of money by the end of the year and refuse to turn on the air conditioners. I taught theatre to these kids after school, and they would come in like they had just run a marathon. They were exhausted, had stringy, sweaty hair and smelled FUNKY!! I had several kids tell me that their classrooms were 92 degrees!! It was horrible. I felt so sorry for those kids.

I also have a friend in UT whose school district is on a year-round schedule. The kids are assigned "blocks", and they go to school with their block. The problem here is that the school district does not guarantee children in the same family will get the same block, so everyone's schedule might be different, and there might not be any time in the year to take a family vacation. She is very frustrated with this.

I think year-round COULD work well for some families, but I think issues like summer jobs and daycare for small children could be an issue. And, obviously schools need to budget more money for utilities in warm states. There are a lot of kinks to work out in this system.

This SAHM likes the idea - it might actually provide more family time for us. I would be ticked though if schools' calendars were lined up differently in one school system.

I posted a link for a school district near me. I think it is a bit crazy. But I am sure you get used to it. I knew people in it that loved it. There kids were close in age and I have a 5 yr gap between my kids.

Look at how the elementary & middle/high school do not line up.

http://www.fhsd.k12.mo.us/parents/qh/attencal0809.asp

My DD spent 3 years in a multi track system while her older brother in High School was on a traditional - we had 2 weeks at Christmas, 1 week at spring break and 1 week the end of July where they were both off. Due to sports and college entrance issues I am not aware of any high schools on a true year round schedule.

One thing that people don't realize about year round and is rarely highlighted by the school is that plain and simple, year round benefits lower kids and is not beneficial at all to average and above students. Year round is generally a money issue not in the students best interest issue. The time spent reviewing upon the return is boring to the upper kids. But since we have a system designed for the lower kids the schools push it and push it as being beneficial to all, its not.

In our district there are 50+ elem. schools, at the time only 9 were on multi track year round and so there were no day care options. It truly was a nightmare. For the summer programs they filled up and took the kids who "committed" to the whole summer first and then the kids that only needed July as an example last. Leaving us multi track parents with almost no options or "fun summer camps" to choose from.
It also hurts teachers in there first few years when their pay is so low they need that summer supplement. Becuase of that you tend to see the more experianced teachers in the year round schools.
Not true, we had the opposite problem. The experienced teachers didn't like having to pack up their classrooms every other month or worse rotate on a monthly basis. They used their senority and moved to traditional calendar schools.
I think that child care would not be an issue for most, families are looking for childcare in the summer months, those opportunities would be there quickly if the school calendar changed.
Many families rely on older siblings (middle and HS) to provide child care. Most middle and HS do not go year round
Snow days are made up here on Saturdays on the year round calendar, which is why I think you rarely see it up north.
Here, the one year we had 5 snow days, they took away Spring Break to make them up.
For those that answered No...

We have a large number of year round school in our district because of over-crowded schools. Would you be in more likely to be in favor of YR, if the alternative was your child was in a trailer or in a class with some hideously large class size?
I would much prefer a portable but the schools don't want to have to spend the money so they offer year round as a way to reduce class sizes etc. When my DD's school went year round, the staffing was reduced, the class sizes remained just as large. Bunch of whoohockey that was.
We used to have it and I didnt like it. We love long summer and they had it at the elementary school but not the upper schools so I had kids off at different times. I am glad that is over.
:thumbsup2

We hated it. In some areas of the country year round school is not allowed because the districts/states know it does not work.
We also lost out on 2nd half of the year conferences and went to a 3 quarter system. We had conferences in the fall and none in the spring.
Also, when my DD was on year round we had 1/2 days at least 2-3 times a month. By themselves half days are disruptive. Every time there was a track on/off day they had a half day and then all the teacher inservice half days. In one year of 3rd grade my DD had 18 half days. The state says kids need to be in school 180 days it doesn't regulate the number of half days. It was ridiculous.

I put my DD into a Charter School with a traditional calendar. At DD's charter school, the 1st day of school was 1/2 day and there have been none sense.

No matter how they sell it year round does not benefit the students as much as it benefits the pocket books of the districts.

I forgot to add one other tidbit.
Between myself and 4 neighbors with Elementary age kids (8 kids between us) we covered all 4 tracks. I was "green", my BFF's DD was "yellow" the girls across the street were "red" and the family around the corner was "blue" so we didn't even have each other to use to cover for the other.
Kindergarten was only available on 2 of the 4 tracks etc, etc, etc....

Sounds as if year-round works best in large population centres (so there are enough kids to rotate schedules, ensuring constant supply of daycare, enrichment activities, minimum wage jobs for high schoolers) and in places where the winters aren't miserable.

About the question "would you favor year-round if the reason was to reduce class sizes?".... well, it would certainly be on my list of alternatives to consider. I don't think year-round schooling is evil. I just wouldn't choose it as my preferred option for my area.

Our school (public charter) just voted overwhelmingly to go to extended year next year. It's not year round (no tracks), and the kids at our school from k-jr high will all be the same schedule. Traditional public school and High school remains on old schedule.

The only downside I see is when some of my kids are Jr. High and some High school but as of now their is no conflict with sports, camps, etc and they still get the bulk of the time off with their friends in others schools. I really like the new schedule and voted for it.

Starting next school year, kids will get 1 month and 3 weeks of summer (mid-June thru mid-August), which is 2 weeks shorter than it is now. They will get 3 weeks at Christmas and 2 at Spring Break, 1 week for Thanksgiving. The other off days (inservice, etc) were lumped near other holidays (President's day, etc) to minimize the number of random days off in mid-week etc that many working parents complained about (for instance if kids have Mon off for national holiday, the teacher inservice would be Fri or Tues providing a 4 day weekend, vs having Mon off for a national holiday and another Mon or maybe a Wed off 2 weeks later for teacher inservice).

For us this schedule will work great. Our kids always got so bored those last two weeks of summer (they each do a week of bible camp, a few weeks of day camp, and dd goes away to camp for 1 week, and they still have a month free in there to just play and swim and be at the park, with friends, etc). We're all looking forward to having that extra week in winter when we can have the mountains for ourselves (instead of having to go snowboarding when everyone else is on break and it is to crowded to be safe or fun).

I can see why the schedule wouldn't work for everyone, even though dh and I both work our schedules are very flexible to allow us to be off when the kids are.

We have year round schools in elementary and most parents love it. It's a track system, where each track in on for 9 weeks, then off for 3 weeks, (plus two two-week periods that everyone is off at the same time, in July and in December) rotating so that there is always one track off, so you can fit four classes worth of kids into three classrooms. The district saves money by building less schools and is able to use that money for programs like PE, music, spanish, technology, etc, that often get cut when districts are low on funds. As the neighborhoods age and enrollment goes down, they usually switch to a traditional schedule, with just those three classrooms per grade level.

We love having time off in the fall, winter and spring to go on vacation. WDW, Hawaii, cruising, visiting the grandparents in the desert... it's all less expensive, less crowded, and not unbearably hot in October or January as compared to July or August. We also love having lots of time off in winter to go skiing when it's less crowded than Christmas/New Year's. We still get lots of beach/pool time in the summer after school lets out for the day. Here, it's still hot in the late afternoon and 4:00-6:00 is plenty of time at the pool for us.

The kids don't get as bored as I remember getting on those long summer breaks. They come back to school after a 3 or 5-week break and pick up right where they left off. No time wasted reviewing everything they did last year.

Our middle and high schools are traditional, though, so once a family has kids on two different schedules, they no longer like it as much. Some families open enroll at traditional public schools or go to private schools to avoid it, but not very many.

Camps, day-care,etc all adjust pretty quickly when year-round schools enter in a community. One thing that is a problem is all the really good school supply sales start mid August when we have arlready been in school for 5 weeks.
Yes, this is how it is here. Most working parents use the school's childcare, which is offered for the kids that are off-track. Child care centers also offer off-track care, which keeps the flow of kids steady, rather than having a ton of school-age kids in the summer, and none all winter. There are indoor camps offered by the rec centers and such in the winter time, craft camps, basketball, gymnastics, tennis, etc. There is plenty to do.

Our DQ's and ice cream stores are only open in the warmer months.
What!? :scared1: You poor things! ;)
There is nothing like having a Blizzard during a blizzard! :)

The time spent reviewing upon the return is boring to the upper kids.
What time spent reviewing? If they are reviewing each time they track back on, I would say those schools are doing it wrong. Our elementary school pick ups where they left off, which is one of the things I love about the schedule. A 3-5 week break isn't enough for the kids to forget much, they just jump back in and don't waste that 2-3 weeks at the beginning of each year reviewing, that I remember being so boring when I was a kid.

Your post brings up a lot of points that sound specific to your district. The schedule can and does work if the effort is put in to work the kinks out. We had half days, too (though never 18! :scared:), but they quickly realized how useless they are and did away with them.

Teachers remove their own items from the classroom and put them back in each time the specific class tracks on/off, so 4 times a year, and they get it done in no time. They have the system down, portable files, etc, kids take care of all their own items, put everything in a pillowcase to take home for the break. The next user of the classroom is the same grade so most wall displays just stay there -- like states/capitals, sight words, etc. It's not that bad at all.

We still have fall and spring conferences, don't know why that would change. School was closed due to snow on our conference day two weeks ago, but conferences were rescheduled.

Our schools always put every child in a family on the same track, unless the parents choose differently. Some of the schools assign them by neighborhood, which I think would be awesome, but our doesn't. Parents request the track they want, but of course, some schedules have more fans than others, so you don't always get your first choice the first year. If not, you can get put on a waiting list and moved in a later year. Almost all the kids in our neighborhood are on the same track, simply because we all asked for it.

I love it! Unfortunately for us, due to budget cuts, for dd's last year of elementary school next year, the school is getting rid of one teacher and putting her grade only on a traditional schedule with three classes instead of four. Instead of the 22-24 kids she's had in her class for the past 5 years, she'll have over 30. :sad2:

Our school (public charter) just voted overwhelmingly to go to extended year next year. It's not year round (no tracks), and the kids at our school from k-jr high will all be the same schedule. Traditional public school and High school remains on old schedule.

The only downside I see is when some of my kids are Jr. High and some High school but as of now their is no conflict with sports, camps, etc and they still get the bulk of the time off with their friends in others schools. I really like the new schedule and voted for it.

Starting next school year, kids will get 1 month and 3 weeks of summer (mid-June thru mid-August), which is 2 weeks shorter than it is now. They will get 3 weeks at Christmas and 2 at Spring Break, 1 week for Thanksgiving. The other off days (inservice, etc) were lumped near other holidays (President's day, etc) to minimize the number of random days off in mid-week etc that many working parents complained about (for instance if kids have Mon off for national holiday, the teacher inservice would be Fri or Tues providing a 4 day weekend, vs having Mon off for a national holiday and another Mon or maybe a Wed off 2 weeks later for teacher inservice).

For us this schedule will work great. Our kids always got so bored those last two weeks of summer (they each do a week of bible camp, a few weeks of day camp, and dd goes away to camp for 1 week, and they still have a month free in there to just play and swim and be at the park, with friends, etc). We're all looking forward to having that extra week in winter when we can have the mountains for ourselves (instead of having to go snowboarding when everyone else is on break and it is to crowded to be safe or fun).

I can see why the schedule wouldn't work for everyone, even though dh and I both work our schedules are very flexible to allow us to be off when the kids are.

After reading through the thread I think that this is what I would like for our school district. I like the idea of longer breaks and inservice days tied to holiday weekends, etc. Seems like a practical plan to me. :)

I personally like having the two months off. Getting my son used to going after a break is hellish. Having to do that more often would be a major pain in the rear. Also my husband's company allows for month long leaves of absense every few years and we plan on using them for major travel with our kids when they are older. I don't see the school being too happy about us pulling the kids for a month to drive across the country or go to Europe. One or two weeks just isn't enough for some vacations.

As for jobs, I've owned a business and I wouldn't hire anyone that was having a couple weeks off to work. Two months is pushing it anyways because of the training, interviews, and paperwork that is involved in getting a new employee. It wouldn't have been worth my time and I just would have stopped hiring students unless they could work all year round.

My DD was in year round from kindergarten through 3rd grade. We loved it. She started school July 15th, had a break in mid-August when the traditional teachers came back to work. Then in September and October, she had about 3 weeks off. At Christmas, she had 3 weeks off (which is only 1 week longer than traditional). Around Easter, she also had additional time off. She ended school on the same day as traditional.

What made it work for us: the school offered after school care and extended day care during teacher work days, and the long break. At least one week of each break involved a week of enrichment programing--they went to museums, etc. For summer, we used the local gymnastics school for day care, on a pay by the week schedule, so we didn't have to commit to the whole summer.

The test scores for the year round group were much higher than the traditional group. The behavior problems were fewer in the year round group. The teachers were able to get thru more material with the year round group as they had to spend less time reviewing at the first of the year. We regretted having to go to the tradiional calendar.

We loved being able to vacation in off-season. It worked very well for us.

Our girls were in year round school and we loved it. It wasn't really year round, they still had a summer break, but it was a 6 week summer break instead of 12 weeks, then they got several other 2 week breaks throughout the year. It was great having them off at non-traditional vacation times. The only problem is that we had 2 kids in year round elementary and 1 kid in traditional middle school. That made things hard. I can also see how the childcare issue would be difficult for some.

And many places DO it because they know it DOES work.....

Dawn

We hated it. In some areas of the country year round school is not allowed because the districts/states know it does not work.
We also lost out on 2nd half of the year conferences and went to a 3 quarter system. We had conferences in the fall and none in the spring.
Also, when my DD was on year round we had 1/2 days at least 2-3 times a month. By themselves half days are disruptive. Every time there was a track on/off day they had a half day and then all the teacher inservice half days. In one year of 3rd grade my DD had 18 half days. The state says kids need to be in school 180 days it doesn't regulate the number of half days. It was ridiculous.

I put my DD into a Charter School with a traditional calendar. At DD's charter school, the 1st day of school was 1/2 day and there have been none sense.

No matter how they sell it year round does not benefit the students as much as it benefits the pocket books of the districts.

I taught in England for a year and their schools have a similar schedule. They start the beginning of Sept, every 6 weeks is a midterm week break, 2 weeks at Christmas, 2 weeks at Easter, end of the year third week of July.

The teachers I worked with really disliked the schedule and I can see why. With younger kids it takes a week to get them back in the groove and towards the end of the session they are getting squirrely so you have maybe 4.5 weeks with good instructional time and then you have to start all over again. It is a very disruptive routine. Plus, the best weather in the UK is during June and July and they are stuck in school.

I think school days should be a bit longer and all the ticky tacky days off should be done away with. Here are the non-Federal holiday days DD gets off:

Yom Kippur
Rosh Hosanna
Columbus Day
School improvement day (several 1/2 days per year)
Institute day (at least 2 per year)
Records Day
Conference Day
Good Friday

and the city schools also get Pulaski day, Lincoln's bday in addition to President's Day...you get the idea.

Lengthening the school day by 30 - 60 mins and getting rid of all the insane holidays would serve the purpose of added days while still giving kids a summer break and not messing up child care.

Also, our district was considering it for next year. The reason it was voted down was because we didn't have the interest. Many people have kids in Elementary, Middle, and HS...they would only be able to pull off one k-5 year round school, and it wouldn't match up with the rest of the district. Those people with kids in higher grades would still not be able to travel unless they pulled their older kids out during that time.

They have talked about it over the years here, but it was only for the grade schools, not the secondary. I have never had any of my kids in the same school at the same time which is why I would hate it.

If they could work it out so that everyone had the same schedule, I would be interested, but not when its only for one age group.

nope, I'm not a big fan of year round school. This is just from our district/town

1. People in this town won't pay for books let alone A/C for the entire school. They also believe 1 teacher should be able to teach computer, art, music and gym. But that we really don't need computer skills. :rolleyes:

2. People in this town won't pay for the extended cost for buses.

3. When would major repairs to the building be done?

4. we are a 1 school district Pre-K - 8th. We have the option of 3 high schools in 3 different districts. If DS12 goes to HS in District A, DS8 goes to District B, and DS7 and DD3 are in our current district , we will have no schedule match ups until December.

4. DH works 45-50 weeks a year on the road, we go on vacation when we can. Right now our school is extremely flexible with DH's job and if the kids miss a week they can catch up pretty easily.

5. By right about now, I have school burnout. I need the 10 weeks for my own sanity.

No way. I prefer the traditional calendar. Kids have their whole lives to be slaves to the clock and the calendar. Let them enjoy summer.

No - and I don't think an awful lot of parents who live in the northeast would favor it either..

We have one school system doing year round and it is very popular. We have one school system that has ONE school doing year round (elementary school) and there is a waiting list to get plus the kids who have done it (this has been in place for many years so one group of kids started in K and have already graduated) have excelled in school--I am amazed at the how many of the top HS students went to elementary school at the year round school.

Our system will not be going to year round though because too many people don't want the change.

I'm homeschooling a freshman and we are doing a schedule that is a blend of both. She starts early (end of July/Aug1) and has break in fall, January (wdw marathon, ya know!!) and spring. I like a fall break because I have no desire to go to WDW in the summer. I like the beach better in Sept too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter