Wonderful Panama Canal Sept 2014

There are news reports about a Cat I hurricane in Cabo on the day we are supposed to be there. I guess I won't be able to go to the beach that day.

Hello, EBPC cruisers! Those of us going NEXT year are wondering if anyone is doing 'live' reports or blogs. We'd love to follow along.

Also does anyone plan to do a trip report after the cruise? We'd all be interested in that to!

You are going to love cruising with Captain Fabian, he is delightful. Keep and eye out for Pierre, the Food & Beverage Manager, also a wonderful and very social guy! If any of you end up having Simone from Italy as your dining room manger, you are in for a treat too. And Milidan is a Palo server worth requesting.

Hope you all have a smooth sailing!

I will be doing a trip report but probably only posting it when I return as the internet connection tends to be frustrating on the cruise! I will be posting it to my Disney blog so will post here (have to check on if I am allowed to do that) and send you a PM when I publish! Could be an interesting trip looking at the hurricane reports...

Just got an email from DCL advising about the hurricane. It said we may do a different port or have an extra sea day. Glad they are on top of it all.

Today we board the WONDER! Heard the hurricane will probably change our itinerary. We are going to have a fun time regardless of the hurricane. I guess this will be the end of this Wonderful Panama Canal Sept 2014 Blog.

Thanks to everyone for all their postings.:cool1::worship:

Just off the Wonder in San Diego. Word from our servers and the concierge is that it's 8 at sea days to start the cruise. The captain has been announcing for the last two days that they are watching the hurricane and will make changes as needed. They are also constrained by their slot at the canal - everything else has to revolve around them being there on time.

Sonny

Saturday, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.

Studio Sea, Deck 4 Midships.

Wristbands will be handed out. Bring cash if you want to help contribute to the cost.

See You Real Soon – and I mean REALLY soon!

Richard

Hi Everyone!

My parents are on this cruise (I am not) but we're a little worried about this sailing since the Hurricane is coming and it looks like the Wonder will be sailing around the storm and skipping the 1st two ports.

Has there any updates on whether there will be ports added to the 2nd half of the cruise (like castaway cay?)

I hope someone will update this thread on Sunday to let us know how the ship is faring and how everyone onboard is doing with the storm/hurricane.

Hope you guys get some nice sea days and that it's not too rough out there!

I'm guessing it's Golden Mickeys tonight --- have fun at the show!

Itinerary is still sea days to Panama Canal, and then cruise proceeds as normal after that. I haven't met anyone terribly disappointed though, it's a ship full of seasoned cruisers (three quarters are Castaway Club, fewer than 300 kids aboard) having a great time as far as I can see. :thumbsup2

We've had beautiful weather and reasonably smooth sailing so far, wouldn't know there was a hurricane around the corner. On the first night of the cruise, the ship's captain joined in the evening show in the Walt Disney Theatre, and gave a slide presentation on how the storm was predicted to move, and how and why the ship's new path was chosen. He said they will also have an updated map of the storm's path at Guest Services as it progresses. I think they've been very proactive and open about what's happening and why it's happening - well handled.

Itinerary is still sea days to Panama Canal, and then cruise proceeds as normal after that. I haven't met anyone terribly disappointed though, it's a ship full of seasoned cruisers (three quarters are Castaway Club, fewer than 300 kids aboard) having a great time as far as I can see. :thumbsup2

We've had beautiful weather and reasonably smooth sailing so far, wouldn't know there was a hurricane around the corner. On the first night of the cruise, the ship's captain joined in the evening show in the Walt Disney Theatre, and gave a slide presentation on how the storm was predicted to move, and how and why the ship's new path was chosen. He said they will also have an updated map of the storm's path at Guest Services as it progresses. I think they've been very proactive and open about what's happening and why it's happening - well handled.

Thank you for this information!! I really really appreciate the update, especially since you had to take time to post.

I've been watching international news channels in order to get more information on the storm and it looks quite scary.

I'm glad Disney is being very open and proactive about the route change and what's going on. I love how they handle these types of situations. The Wonder is our favorite ship both for its crew and the atmosphere. I'm glad everyone is having a good time.

Have a safe sailing and feel free to update us once in a while! :goodvibes

I also hope there is tine for more updates! I am on this cruise next year. Glad to hear so far, so good....with or without ports, it's sure to be a relaxing trip!

Hi Everyone!

My parents are on this cruise (I am not) but we're a little worried about this sailing since the Hurricane is coming and it looks like the Wonder will be sailing around the storm and skipping the 1st two ports.

Has there any updates on whether there will be ports added to the 2nd half of the cruise (like castaway cay?)

I hope someone will update this thread on Sunday to let us know how the ship is faring and how everyone onboard is doing with the storm/hurricane.

Hope you guys get some nice sea days and that it's not too rough out there!

I'm guessing it's Golden Mickeys tonight --- have fun at the show!

It's Sunday afternoon here, around 4:30, and the sea is rolling more, but not what I could call rough. There's still sun, but will about 50% cloud cover, and it's warm and humid.

The ship is rolling, and will probably roll even more over the next 24 hours. The Captain's midday report said that we are experiencing 5' swells, which is making things creak and groan as the ship rolls. He said we might expect swells perhaps as high as 12'. The next 24 hours will bring us past Odile and into the backwash of the hurricane, so we might get some rain, but the winds will remain favourable for our journey, and shouldn't cause any significant problems.

You can follow the progress of Odile on the NOAA website under Eastern Pacific hurricanes.

We are clearly on the correct side of Odile, though, as the Captain also reported that Cabo is expecting sea swells of as much as 40-50', and have closed the port.

In short, some people may get uncomfortable over the next day, but then we will be past it. Meanwhile, we are safe, and a tricky weather situation has been avoided.

If I get a chance (in between all the onboard activities), I'll report again in a day's time. :thumbsup2

Richard

It's Sunday afternoon here, around 4:30, and the sea is rolling more, but not what I could call rough. There's still sun, but will about 50% cloud cover, and it's warm and humid.

The ship is rolling, and will probably roll even more over the next 24 hours. The Captain's midday report said that we are experiencing 5' swells, which is making things creak and groan as the ship rolls. He said we might expect swells perhaps as high as 12'. The next 24 hours will bring us past Odile and into the backwash of the hurricane, so we might get some rain, but the winds will remain favourable for our journey, and shouldn't cause any significant problems.

You can follow the progress of Odile on the NOAA website under Eastern Pacific hurricanes.

We are clearly on the correct side of Odile, though, as the Captain also reported that Cabo is expecting sea swells of as much as 40-50', and have closed the port.

In short, some people may get uncomfortable over the next day, but then we will be past it. Meanwhile, we are safe, and a tricky weather situation has been avoided.

If I get a chance (in between all the onboard activities), I'll report again in a day's time. :thumbsup2

Richard

Thanks so much for the update! I was planning to call them in a few days, but it's so comforting to get "live" updates from people on the ship.

I hope the swells aren't too bad tonight and that everyone stays safe! I didn't realize the Cabo actually closed the port. That is interesting information.

Have fun with the onboard activities and eat lots of yummy food!

It's gloomy and overcast here today, but we are well south of hurricane Odile. Last night was exciting for the ship – between about 1 and 2 the ride got really bouncy and somewhat uncomfortable, but this morning everyone was grinning and exchanging war stories.

The ride is much smoother now, and we are past the worst. There is a tropical depression forming ahead of us, but the Captain doesn't think it's going to affect us significantly. However, we are now moving closer to land to evade the possible effects.

We could not possibly have gone to Cabo –*they got badly socked by Odile, and we are well past it.

Only slightly off-note for my DW and I was that we had a drain pipe leak above our stateroom at around 1:30 a.m., and wound up with about 15 engineering, housekeeping, and carpentry people in our stateroom. Still not back in the room, and getting tired of wearing the clothes on our backs, but hoping it will be fixed today.

So, everyone's safe, the cruise goes on, and people are remarkably cheerful. :thumbsup2

Richard

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter