Wonderful Panama Canal Sept 2014

Before we all get even busier preparing for the cruise, and while there's tiny bit of breathing space because of the Labour Day weekend, let me put in a word for the cast & crew members (CMs). And please forgive me if I ramble.

Whenever you get great service from someone onboard, please take a minute to thank them, and also keep track of their name and where they're from. If possible, also find out which group they work with, and where you saw them. This also includes the characters, whom it is really easy to overlook. Here, though, you should also keep track of the time of day to make sure that the specific character gets the appropriate praise. I've been told that some of the characters have multiple personalities, if you catch my drift, so you want to make sure your praise reaches the right one.

The CMs in tippable positions, but especially the dining room servers and stateroom hosts, get very little in salary from DCL. Almost all of their income comes from tips. I know that many people have saved for years for this trip, so all I'm asking is that you be as generous as you can. If you can afford it, and assuming that our CMs give their usual outstanding service, tip over the recommended amounts, especially if you're traveling concierge and have a larger stateroom to clean.

But you can also do really nice things for the CMs that won't cost much or anything at all, just by taking notice of them. When you tell someone in a position of authority – like one of the white uniformed officers – about a CM that made your day, you help their career, and may get them a nice benefit, such as the opportunity to eat in one of our dining rooms instead of the crew mess, or get extra port time, or some extra time off. CMs work on 4-6 month contracts, and during that time, they work every day, sometimes 16-20 hours a day, so a little luxury like a special meal, or extra time off really means something to them. So when a CM makes you smile, try to find someone in authority who works in the same area as the CM who made you feel special and tell them. It's nice to tell the Chief Engineer about a Youth Activities CM, but it won't do anywhere near as much good as telling a YA manager the same thing. And if you see the Cruise Director, or better yet, seek him or her out, to tell them about a CM, you've just done a really good thing for a really great CM.

Beyond that, my DW and I buy pocket-sized candies for CMs in non-tippable positions. Tippable CMs don't like getting candy because they think you're giving it to them INSTEAD of tipping them. But even though the crew mess serves pretty good food (I'm told), it gets monotonous eating the same things over and over again for 4-6 months straight. And the only candy available onboard is the candy in the shops – and CMs pay about the same prices for that as we do. My DW especially loves making CMs who don't generally deal with the public smile by thanking them, announcing that it's a Tuesday so they deserve a treat, and handing them a chocolate bar.

Having worked at sea for a year as a young man, I know that ordinary food gets really monotonous over time, and you get to craving other tastes. Some people think this is being condescending. I think it just makes sense.

But the single most important thing you can do for a CM is to mention them by name on the comment card at the end of the cruise. They get promotions from things like this. Even though your vacation is ending, and things are getting stressful, please take the time to fill out the card, and especially to mention someone who has gone out of their way to make your vacation magical. I always do this, and usually write a letter with more names and more details later as well. Yes, it takes some time – but it means a tremendous amount to the CMs. Some of my greatest Disney regrets have come from NOT writing about a CM that made us feel good.

If there are Disney CMs in this thread, perhaps they could correct or add to anything I've said. I'm not 100% sure about all of it, but this is what I've gathered from 6 DCL cruises, plus talking to DCL people in positions of authority over the years.

And thanks.

See You Real Soon! :flower3:
Richard

Our flights are:
2 hour flight from Sea-Tac to Long Beach.
2.5 hour flight from MCO to Midway/Chicago airport then I think an hour and change layover in Chicago, and 3 hour flight from Midway to Sea-Tac.
The bad part? The 9pmish shuttle leaves 20 minutes after we land. So Em and I get to wait around for a couple of hours at the airport until the shuttle can pick us up. Yay for living far from the airport.

We live way south of Seattle. I only work 10 min from Seatac so we leave our car there for a couple weeks.

Seems like a lot of us have similar lengths of flights to get there. :thumbsup2

I think I tried to get involved too late, usually I'm more on top of these things. If I am indeed on the FE list, please take me off. You all have a great cruise.

Before we all get even busier preparing for the cruise, and while there's tiny bit of breathing space because of the Labour Day weekend, let me put in a word for the cast & crew members (CMs). And please forgive me if I ramble.

Whenever you get great service from someone onboard, please take a minute to thank them, and also keep track of their name and where they're from. If possible, also find out which group they work with, and where you saw them. This also includes the characters, whom it is really easy to overlook. Here, though, you should also keep track of the time of day to make sure that the specific character gets the appropriate praise. I've been told that some of the characters have multiple personalities, if you catch my drift, so you want to make sure your praise reaches the right one.

The CMs in tippable positions, but especially the dining room servers and stateroom hosts, get very little in salary from DCL. Almost all of their income comes from tips. I know that many people have saved for years for this trip, so all I'm asking is that you be as generous as you can. If you can afford it, and assuming that our CMs give their usual outstanding service, tip over the recommended amounts, especially if you're traveling concierge and have a larger stateroom to clean.

But you can also do really nice things for the CMs that won't cost much or anything at all, just by taking notice of them. When you tell someone in a position of authority – like one of the white uniformed officers – about a CM that made your day, you help their career, and may get them a nice benefit, such as the opportunity to eat in one of our dining rooms instead of the crew mess, or get extra port time, or some extra time off. CMs work on 4-6 month contracts, and during that time, they work every day, sometimes 16-20 hours a day, so a little luxury like a special meal, or extra time off really means something to them. So when a CM makes you smile, try to find someone in authority who works in the same area as the CM who made you feel special and tell them. It's nice to tell the Chief Engineer about a Youth Activities CM, but it won't do anywhere near as much good as telling a YA manager the same thing. And if you see the Cruise Director, or better yet, seek him or her out, to tell them about a CM, you've just done a really good thing for a really great CM.

Beyond that, my DW and I buy pocket-sized candies for CMs in non-tippable positions. Tippable CMs don't like getting candy because they think you're giving it to them INSTEAD of tipping them. But even though the crew mess serves pretty good food (I'm told), it gets monotonous eating the same things over and over again for 4-6 months straight. And the only candy available onboard is the candy in the shops – and CMs pay about the same prices for that as we do. My DW especially loves making CMs who don't generally deal with the public smile by thanking them, announcing that it's a Tuesday so they deserve a treat, and handing them a chocolate bar.

Having worked at sea for a year as a young man, I know that ordinary food gets really monotonous over time, and you get to craving other tastes. Some people think this is being condescending. I think it just makes sense.

But the single most important thing you can do for a CM is to mention them by name on the comment card at the end of the cruise. They get promotions from things like this. Even though your vacation is ending, and things are getting stressful, please take the time to fill out the card, and especially to mention someone who has gone out of their way to make your vacation magical. I always do this, and usually write a letter with more names and more details later as well. Yes, it takes some time – but it means a tremendous amount to the CMs. Some of my greatest Disney regrets have come from NOT writing about a CM that made us feel good.

If there are Disney CMs in this thread, perhaps they could correct or add to anything I've said. I'm not 100% sure about all of it, but this is what I've gathered from 6 DCL cruises, plus talking to DCL people in positions of authority over the years.

And thanks.

See You Real Soon! :flower3:
Richard

Richard....

Nicely said!

Angel & I always watch and observe all the hard working CM....the ones just starting out. We will go out of our way to talk to them, thank them, befriend them and most of all get there name for the end of the cruise comment card....
I know how everyone complains about the comments card, no room to write anything...
That is why on the longer cruises, we take a note book, or use the one we get from the DVC presentation and write down things as we see/ think of them any time we are back in our cabin.
We have been on 12 cruises, and it is like coming home to our DCL families.
You see CM and they have run up to us, with a hug, and thank us....and they tell us they have been promoted. Pretty awesome

If nothing else, give them a smile.....it doesn't cost you anything and smiles are contagious....you will get one or two back! :)

Robin & Angel "D" :thumbsup2

This board has been so active for so long and Now Facebook has taken over it's sad to see it so quiet here.

It's just so much easier to share, post on the boards that shall not be named ; )

I do not think I will be joining anymore FB groups. I find it difficult to manage, and end up reading every post two or three times: once in my email, once in the group thread and AGAIN in the Home thread. I can't stand it anymore. Back to the Disboards for me.

Change your settings so that you're not getting notifications on everything. I find it so much easier to manage on the boards that shall not be mentioned.

Robin"D";52189601 said:
4hrs, 50 min........:faint: lol But have to keep saying...."remember where you are going......:cool1: Robin & Angel "D". :thumbsup2

Just under 3 hrs from Dallas-Anaheim and the same MCO- home. Feeling very lucky after seeing all of your long flights listed!

Just under 3 hrs from Dallas-Anaheim and the same MCO- home. Feeling very lucky after seeing all of your long flights listed!

BUT....our flight home....just under 2 hours. :cool1:

I would rather have the longer FLT in the beginning of the cruise, than at the
end of it.....:wave2:

We are ready !!!!!!!!!

Robin & Angel. :thumbsup2

as im leaving monday morning to go to san diego if annyone wants to join or pj breakfast please let me know i will print out the list on sunday it will be on the 23rd of september at 8.30 in tritions if u want to join please let me know what stateroom u are in and how many people are joining

ty joyce

A reminder, for those who are interested: Conversation with a Futurist (that's me! :wave2:), Wednesday, Day 6, from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. at Diversions (deck 3 forward). If it's noisy or busy there, we'll adjourn to the Cadillac Lounge.

Possible topics of discussion:

What's a futurist?
What's technology going to do over the next 10 years (robots? AI? replacement organs? steaks without steers?)
What's going to happen to jobs, and how can my kids stay employed?
Will America still be the greatest nation?
Will the Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup? (I actually know the answer to this one…)

What's discussed is really up to the people who show up.

Open to all, but would appreciate knowing if you're planning to attend in order to manage space considerations. :flower3:

A reminder, for those who are interested: Conversation with a Futurist (that's me! :wave2:), Wednesday, Day 6, from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. at Diversions (deck 3 forward). If it's noisy or busy there, we'll adjourn to the Cadillac Lounge.

Possible topics of discussion:

What's a futurist?
What's technology going to do over the next 10 years (robots? AI? replacement organs? steaks without steers?)
What's going to happen to jobs, and how can my kids stay employed?
Will America still be the greatest nation?
Will the Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup? (I actually know the answer to this one…)

What's discussed is really up to the people who show up.

Open to all, but would appreciate knowing if you're planning to attend in order to manage space considerations. :flower3:

This sounds like a great time. We (2) will be there.

My first one was also there…I was 9 months old and it was 4 years old. I always tell people who say why take a baby, they don't remember it. No, I don't but I've seen the pictures, watched the home movies, loads of memories there. Sadly, my parents lost everything in a flood of our hometown in 1994 so they are now truly only in my memory.

My next park was MK in 1977, it was the only one in Florida. I finally made it back to WDW in 2001 and never looked back. We made it to Disneyland for the 50th. We've been back twice since.

I haven't had the chance to experience any of the other parks. Maybe some day. I have to quit cruising to save up the buck though and that I have not been able to do! :lmao:

Disneyland was my first Disney experience and where I fell madly in love with Tigger at the age of 18. My second was at Blizzard Beach in 2003 then my first Disney cruise, I was 32. Post cruise was first ever trip to MK and I've never looked back either :thumbsup2. I've been to every park in the US

Haven't seen anyone mention DVC Usually 30% to 50% of cruisers are. Anyone in the 1,000 point Club?

I'm a DVC member! Best investment I've ever made, and wish like heck I was in the 1,000 point club but no where close. :sad1:

i leave home next monday at 4 am i arrive at san diego around 7 pm there is a 9 hour time difference so i will be up around 24 hours

Can't wait to meet you at the zoo Joyce!! :dance3:

Now we can say that we are going on a cruise next week.

:woohoo::woohoo:

We leave in 6 days and sail in 8 :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I think I tried to get involved too late, usually I'm more on top of these things. If I am indeed on the FE list, please take me off. You all have a great cruise.

It's never to late Kathy but I believe the FE list closed on August 1. There are tons of other activities that you are welcome to join in. All the info you need for most of it is on the first page I think. Welcome to our group :wave2:

A number of us are planning to wear our tiaras & crowns, not just pack them away, and process into dinner on Prince & Princess evening, which is scheduled for Monday, Sept. 22nd. Here's what we're suggesting:

PRINCE & PRINCESS PARADE! :jester: :butterfly :rainbow:

Day 11 – Monday, Sept. 22nd

Let's assemble 15 minutes before dinner starts, which would be 5:30 for the early sitting, and 8:00 for the late sitting. Gather at the midship elevator banks on deck 4. From there, we'll organize and then parade around the balcony overlooking the Atrium, then slowly and gracefully down the stairs to deck 3. Those who are dining in Triton's will be right there, and can go in to dinner. Those who are dining in one of the other MDRs can then troop off to dinner together. Or we can mingle with the good people of the Wonderful Realm while we await the call to dine.

I'd suggest that we put the younger princes & princesses (with their parents) at the front of the procession, with the taller P&Ps to follow. Be sure to give your best royal wave as you parade! :wave2:

We just heard the DVC welcome party is on Friday at 4:30. We expected cast off party to be at 4:00. Does anyone know when cast off is?

We just heard the DVC welcome party is on Friday at 4:30. We expected cast off party to be at 4:00. Does anyone know when cast off is?

Oh poop! I want to do both! Can't they just make it easy.

Lifeboat muster is at 4:00pm, the sail away is scheduled for 4:30. How can DVC have their welcome party at the exact same time? That's just crazy.

The Muster drill I always bring a book.

1 suitcase packed. I am trying to figure out how to pack my carry on purse. Push comes to shove I take a backpack. But I want to look like a classy person traveling, not the odd lady with a thousand bags and totally overwhelmed.

I am getting excited/nervous for this vacation.

The Muster drill I always bring a book.

1 suitcase packed. I am trying to figure out how to pack my carry on purse. Push comes to shove I take a backpack. But I want to look like a classy person traveling, not the odd lady with a thousand bags and totally overwhelmed.

I am getting excited/nervous for this vacation.

LOL i know exactly what you mean - I am trying really hard to avoid being classiness personified by wheeling 3 suitcases (2 checked and 1 cabin) half way around LAX with 2 bags (purse and laptop) falling off my shoulders while tripping over the suitcases. I need to change from international to a domestic flight so I have to do all the luggage transfers myself and 1 of my checked suitcases is almost full with FE and gifts for one of my friend's family that I am meeting for the first time once we get to WDW (2 children = a lot of toys and lollies :-D)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter