Wish Trippers...Unite!! Volume One

As for subscribing...

If you go to the top right of the thread there is a drop down menu that says Thread Tools. Clicking on that will lead you down to "subscribe to this thread". click it and you are subscribed. You can get updates two ways. One is you get an email when someone posts to the thread. You can also see all your subscribed threads by clicking on User CP on the top left of the boards.

sorry but I don't have any time today. gotta get to the library to get material for this weeks "school".

I'm so excited. I figured out how to post pictures and even got myself a ticker! Not bad for a computer illiterate. Now I can look at it and see how much longer we have to go. Karen

The reason people post that they 'subscribed' is two fold - one to bump the thread back to the top of the list, and two, to let the founder of the thread know how many people are finding her thread worthy of revisiting.

Alizasmom, you did good! congratulations!

I'm so excited. I figured out how to post pictures and even got myself a ticker! Not bad for a computer illiterate. Now I can look at it and see how much longer we have to go. Karen

Looks good! The holly berries even look like hidden mickeys!

I have a Make A Wish question - not sure if there's really an answer, but here goes. I called our MAW rep to see if she had an update on whether our wish was approved and if not, if she needed more info from us to help clarify it. She said they don't actually make any reservations until 4 to 8 weeks before the trip, so we probably won't hear anything until then. I realize there's not usually a lot of advance notice, but I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable that we won't even know if we're going until 4-8 weeks before. I want to do some advance planning, plus DH and I have to put in for time off from work, plus I want to give the kids' schools advance notice as we're taking them out of school. Has that been everyone's typical experience - you don't really know if you're going till much closer? I also asked if we can expect the typical GKTW package with 3 days in WDW, 2 days US/IO, and 1 day Seaworld, and she said it's not clear if we'll be involved w/ GKTW (I have heard of families who request specific hotels like we're doing, but still go to GKTW for their tickets), and either way, there is not guarantee what tickets we'll get. Could be 4 days WDW and 1 day US/IO or 3 days WDW or whatever - it just depends what's available at the time they book. She said even at GKTW, there's no specific package. Which means that I can't plan till I know how many days we'll have at each park.

I don't want to be a total pest to the MAW rep, and I am so, so thankful that my son is getting a wish (although we all agree that being a wish child means that you and your family have been through hard times that you'd probably do anything not to have experienced in the first place), but it just seems so vague. Maybe if I wasn't a planner it wouldn't be making me so nervous. Any suggestions, or should I just sit back and know that it will all work out fine?

I also asked if we can expect the typical GKTW package with 3 days in WDW, 2 days US/IO, and 1 day Seaworld, and she said it's not clear if we'll be involved w/ GKTW (I have heard of families who request specific hotels like we're doing, but still go to GKTW for their tickets), and either way, there is not guarantee what tickets we'll get. Could be 4 days WDW and 1 day US/IO or 3 days WDW or whatever - it just depends what's available at the time they book. She said even at GKTW, there's no specific package. Which means that I can't plan till I know how many days we'll have at each park.

I can't speak for MAW procedures because that was not our wish organization. We found out at the end of April that we were going and our trip was at the end of July- about 10-12 weeks advanced notice. I do know that the ticket packages you get from GKTW are donated to GKTW from the parks and the packages have been the same at least for the last few years. Your Disney pass will be 3 days, Universal 2 and SeaWorld 1. We were there this year; I believe JennyDep was there 2 years ago and had the same package. Some GKTW families stay off site because the Village is fully booked, but GKTW makes their arrangements at other hotels. If your wish organization has accomodations for you elsewhere, your package may not include GKTW at all. That was the case for LeeLee2U. Hopefully you will hear something definitive soon.

Hmmm. Are you talking to your MAW volunteer (the one that will come out to your home) or to an actual representative at MAW? We found our volunteers were poorly equipped with all the ins and outs and only knew the details they knew because they had done a couple of other Disney trips. We found our MAW representative at MAW a bit more helpful (although not as much as I had hoped). As for when we found out we were going, um, I want to say it was at least 8 weeks. We didn't get our tickets until much closer but we knew fairly early we were going. We didn't even know where we were staying until much closer either but we knew our trip would be going through GKTW. I'm not sure what to tell you. Perhaps you have someone new?

Patticake,

GKTW has the same packages for every family regardless of what organization you are using for your WISH. As mentioned you will get 3 day park hoppers for Disney, 2 days for Universal and one day at Sea World. If you have any questions at all please email GKTW and you will get the facts. I had questions too before our trip and emailed them. They responded within minutes.

Whomever you are talking to doesn't seem to know much. Either she is new to the organization or should get her act together! We knew within a week after DD's Wish was granted where we were staying, which was GKTW. That was my preference anyway.

I suggest trying to speak with someone else who should have more info for you. Truly you are being given misinformation and that is not what you need. You should be excited about your trip not having to worry. Good luck and let us know what you find out. I hope it's a new MAW representative! LOL

We have a letter dated Aug 25th that indicates our trip will be Jan 18th- 25th. (From MAW) We needed it for my husband to get the time off of work and they had no problem and were VERY nice about sending it out. It does not include any of the details but just indicates our son's wish has been granted to go to WDW during that time. I agree that you need more info. Just let them know you are OK that the details are not firmed up far in advance but maybe just give you a good idea of what to expect. We also found our volunteers did not have much knowledge, although very nice, they really had no information about the actual trip, except their personal experiences. I have always heard that all of the wish trip plans are pretty standard unless something was asked for and possibly granted seperate but in terms of GKTW, I'm pretty sure they are always the same. Perhaps they don't committ just in case there are changes and they don't want anyone to be dissapointed. :confused3 I would try the email method too :) . Let us know how it works out.

When we heard from our wish agency that we were accepted, our only hold up was reserving space at GKTW. It fills up in the summertime and they were looking to see when there would be an available villa. We had to give them 3 sets of dates and we got our 2nd set. I agree that it may not hurt to contact the MAW office directly and let them know you want to give your employers ample notice about the dates. Once you have your dates then the rest will all fall into place. If you want ADR's for character meals, then you could go ahead and start that reservation process too.

Hello All,

I already made a post on the disABILITIES board and have gotten tons of answers to my questions (Thank you all so much!) but as a Wish Tripper ;) I wanted to post here on the special Wish Trip board and say hello to everyone.

We are taking our Wish Trip on November 27- December 3 and are super excited about it, only a little over a month to go!!!!!

Hello All,

I already made a post on the disABILITIES board and have gotten tons of answers to my questions (Thank you all so much!) but as a Wish Tripper ;) I wanted to post here on the special Wish Trip board and say hello to everyone.

We are taking our Wish Trip on November 27- December 3 and are super excited about it, only a little over a month to go!!!!!

:welcome: to the Dis boards!!! Glad to hear you got a good response to your questions. We will be going on our make a wish trip November 10-18th. So if you have any questions feel free to ask. Once we get back though I'm sure I'll be able to provide you with lots more information.

Patticake3: We found out about our wish being granted and our dates way back in March. Although we are not going through MAW because we live in Canada and I'm not sure if we have a building where we live, so we are going through the Children's wish foundation instead. I'm sure it's probably similar none the less.

My DD recieved an envelope from GKTW yesterday in the mail. It had a brochure and map of the grounds in it. Ever since this has arrived we can now feel the excitment in the air. It's kind of hard to believe we have 17 days to go! :eek: :woohoo:

We are also recieving our wish package this week as well. Everything is starting to come together and I know longer have to worry about what's going to happen and if this package is ever going to arrive. The only thing that's kind of disappointing is the fact that we won't get to meet our wish granters. I have heard of people getting wish parties, or pizza or at least meeting their wish granters but this is not the case for us. None the less we are excited to leave on this magical adventure and finally put this Cancer journey behind us!:goodvibes

I am working on trying to start a trip report. I think I have the whole thing figured out now I just have to actually sit down and start. :surfweb:

Winnielover:

I didn't know you were one of our friends from the north! LOL. That is something that I love about the Dis...we get to know other posters from all over. I am sure you are all getting very excited. We never met our wish granters either. Our wish organization is a division of Children's Hospital here, which is about 2 hours away from our house. My son has a follow up appointment next month, so we are going to swing by and meet our coordinator.

Don't forget to post links to your TR.

~Elisa

Hi everyone! Back from our weekend trip to NJ which turned into a scary adventure. Long story short: Amanda had a respiratory emergency on the way home in NY; had to pull over in a rest area and call 911; transferred to hospitals in NY. She' ok - obvious respiratory infection and is doing much better on antibiotics and her ventlilator. It's just a nightmare having this happen so far from home. The doctors in NY don't know her, her doc. in Boston finally contacted them and convinced them that she was ok to travel as long as she was given extra support from her vent. (which is what I kept saying)! anyway, got home last night around 10 - she's fine, still requiring the vent 24/7, but at least we're home!

Patticake3 - Been reading your posts and I wanted to give you a pep talk. I'm sensing you're feeling the same way I did about your wish trip. While my daughter has been through so much, I felt SO GUILTY having someone do this trip for us - I was just sitting back and kind of letting them do what THEY wanted to do. Someone else on these boards(thanks Bill Lin!) gave me the confidence to not be afraid and ask and/or demand the trip to be what MY DAUGHTER wanted it to be.

We were approved for our wish in Jan.; requested our trip to be end of Nov./beginning of Dec. I guess because it was so far in advance I was able to get confirmation of our dates within 2 months. I, too, was dealing with a rookie MAW rep. and I really believe they thought "Another disney wish - send them off to GKTW - easiest thing to do!" Again, I've heard wonderful things about GKTW, but I knew it just wouldn't work for us and it would be easiest to be on Disney property; didn't want to go to Universal or Sea World - just Disney, Disney, Disney. They really tried to persuade us to stay at GKTW, but I kept insisting and until they agreed to "look into" the possibility of staying at a disney resort. Not only did they get me into a disney resort, but it was the one I requested - The Boardwalk.(I've heard of other MAW families staying at AKL and GF) As I understand it, GKTW is the organization that secured the room at the BW for us and they are the one handling our arrangements down there even though I have no intention of stepping foot on their property. We're getting the 3-day disney park hopper from GKTW; and our Boston MAW is getting us a 2-day park hopper. I'll be paying for the additional 2 days and also my MVMCP tix. As I understand, we'll also get an expense check before we leave, but I have no idea for how much. The money is to cover food, souvenirs etc. I'm thinking, though, I will still probably have to lay out money of my own - which is fine. They can't pay for everything and I'm grateful for what they're doing, but just remember: this trip is about what your child wants to do; not what's easiest for them to arrange. And it shouldn't be causing you this much stress. I would definitely ask to speak with a supervisor to iron out the details.

It's wonderful that these organizations do what they do and you can certainly be appreciative. But if the planning of this trip is causing you and your family stress and anxiety, they need to know about it. Good luck and stay strong!:thumbsup2

Hi everyone! Back from our weekend trip to NJ which turned into a scary adventure. Long story short: Amanda had a respiratory emergency on the way home in NY; had to pull over in a rest area and call 911; transferred to hospitals in NY. She' ok - obvious respiratory infection and is doing much better on antibiotics and her ventlilator. It's just a nightmare having this happen so far from home. The doctors in NY don't know her, her doc. in Boston finally contacted them and convinced them that she was ok to travel as long as she was given extra support from her vent. (which is what I kept saying)! anyway, got home last night around 10 - she's fine, still requiring the vent 24/7, but at least we're home!

Camster, glad you are home and close to your own docs and everything is okay. One thing I had to learn as a parent of a special needs child is that I was my son's cheif advocate and sometimes that meant arguing with doctors over what I felt was right and best, not what they felt comfortable doing. Good for you in getting your daughter back home!

One thing I had to learn as a parent of a special needs child is that I was my son's cheif advocate and sometimes that meant arguing with doctors over what I felt was right and best, not what they felt comfortable doing. Good for you in getting your daughter back home!

I agree!:thumbsup2 Usually after a 5 minute conversation with a doc, they ask me if I'm a nurse(never ask if I'm a doc though - sexist!:lmao: ) I tell them no, I just know more about my daughter than they ever will!

Camster, I'm glad you made it home. Illness away from home base is my chief nightmare. Sounds like you did well. We're still having difficulty replacing the nurse who was supposed to go to Disney with us. Can you imagine that no one wants a free Disney trip and be paid full time wages at the same time?:confused3 Karen

Camster, I'm glad you made it home. Illness away from home base is my chief nightmare. Sounds like you did well. We're still having difficulty replacing the nurse who was supposed to go to Disney with us. Can you imagine that no one wants a free Disney trip and be paid full time wages at the same time?:confused3 Karen

I haven't been on the boards in awhile - what happened to your nurse? Do you have a family member that can help. For our MAW trip, I'm not taking a nurse. I had Amanda's aunt sign up with an agency as her PCA (personal care attendent) and MAW is paying for her to come. She isn't as skilled as I am in taking care of Amanda, but she helps enough that it's worthwhile.

I hope you can find someone. Keeping my fingers crossed for you all!

After spending about 12 hours yesterday sitting in front of my computer, I have officially read everyone's TR and PRE -TR and gotten TONS of information from the board. We only have 31 days until our trip, and I am getting so excited! However, a small part of me is feeling a little depressed, am I the only one to feel like this so close to the Wish trip? I feel so guilty being sad during such an exciting time, but I just can not help it. These moments of sadness are brief, but they are there. Is this normal, or am I just being a big downer????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter