Wish Trippers...Unite!! Volume One

Hi all! I've been trying to keep up inbetween all the Drs app. here lately but haven't had time to post much! The last few months were kinda slow for us but October!!!!!!!!! Whew I'm so glad our trip was in Sep. It has really helped Braeton to be able to look at pics and talk about memories.
Okiemomof3 feel free to ask any questions if you have any. I know I gleaned the most from reading other TRs so I'm right there with you. I don't think my TR has helped anyone yet as I'm still on our first day!!!!:laughing: But I guess it has showed that things are NOT going to work out just as you planned, but hey that's o.k. Because they might turn out even better. :goodvibes
And it's o.k. to laugh even at scary or bad situations. Laughter truly is some of the best medicine. Even if you are laughing because your son just rolled away and crashed in his wheelchair!! Yes I'm a certified maniac!!
Camster so glad you're back! Glad Amanda is better and will be praying she can get off the vent some SOON!
Alizemom YOu still don't have a nurse???!!!! Too bad you're not here in TX I know several nurses that would jump at the chance to go, even while taking care of a child full time. Especially to be paid too!!!! I know of 1 that actually went with a family as a volunteer, the wish found paid her way there and she volunteered her services just because she said this family deserved to go on this trip and Hey they would always remember her because it's a WISH tripa nd how cool is that to be a part of? And :woohoo: ) A FREE trip to Disney!!!!!!!!!!
Will be praying you find the greatest nurse ever really SOON!!!!:goodvibes

Okiemomof3 feel free to ask any questions if you have any. I know I gleaned the most from reading other TRs so I'm right there with you. I don't think my TR has helped anyone yet as I'm still on our first day!!!!:laughing: But I guess it has showed that things are NOT going to work out just as you planned, but hey that's o.k. Because they might turn out even better. :goodvibes

Thank you so much for that. I have sort of been worried about the What if's etc, and I realized recently (after reading the Wish TR's) that I do need to loosen up abit and just let the magic happen.

OK, I came up with another question (go figure right LOL!) anyhow, I have seen that some people made special shirts, and special cards for their trip to Disney, I would really like to make some of these special shirts for my kids, as I feel like it may be easier to keep up with them, if they are all dressed pretty much identical... However, I have no idea where to get the designs and since I am artistically challenged and not to great with crafts either, I was hoping that maybe someone here could give me some tips....

Thanks in advance

There is a whole forum for designs right here on the DIS boards!!! its theCreative DISigns board. There are bunches of diff threads you can check out and they give step by step instructions. You can use some of their designs, in fact some of them will design something special just for you if you give them a little time. There is also instructions on how to do the tie-dye Mickey head t-shirts!.
Hope you find it helpfull:goodvibes
Leah

OkieMom....you only have 8 posts, and already you have a trip ticker...you go girl!:woohoo: I think all parents of special needs kids experience those downer days. Tomorrow is a new day though with new adventures. I am sure that there will be bumps in your WDW experience, just as I am equally sure that there will be moments of pure magic that your family will remember for a lifetime. Its all good!

Camster - I have been asked if I was a nurse too. When DS was a preemie in the NICU I knew he was coming home with me, possibly with the machines, so the sooner I figured it all out, the better it would be for him and for me. There is a name the nurses have for moms like us. They call us hospital moms. We know how it all works...where the linens are, where the ice machine is, how to deal with beeping IV pumps, what the numbers on the monitor mean and when to really call the nurses or not, where the best take out is next to the hospital ;) ... I am proud of all of us for taking such good care of our kiddos.

Alizesmom - I am sure you already have done this, but just in case...have you contacted a nursing temp agency? Maybe a nursing school? What about a home health agency? There is bound to be someone in PA who would love to help you. If not, maybe there are agencies in Orlando who could be hired to meet you there and help.

~Elisa

Thanks for the suggestions. I've already told Charlie that we're going nurse or no nurse. What happened is a little difficult to explain but the one we had just got too comfortable with us and acted like she had equal say in Alize's care and had started lecturing us on how we spent our money. We couldn't take it another minute.
Okiemom: you're more gutsy than me, I wouldn't even try crafty things
Leelee: busy, busy, busy. Hope your appointment schedule quiets
Karen

Thanks for the suggestions. I've already told Charlie that we're going nurse or no nurse. What happened is a little difficult to explain but the one we had just got too comfortable with us and acted like she had equal say in Alize's care and had started lecturing us on how we spent our money. We couldn't take it another minute.
Karen

I'm sorry to hear what happened with your nurse. Unfortunately, it seems to be a rite of passage. We all love to have nurses with us for the long-term, but then they get very comfortable and try to take over too much. Have certainly been there! I hope you can find a replacement, but if not, you'll still have a GREAT time. You know how it is, we parents seem to dig deep and find the strength needed to get through. I've survived many a disney trip w/out a nurse and it all doesn't hit me until I get home. Just take things slow and recognize your limits. The staff at Disney is wonderful - utilize all they have to offer. It will all work out!:thumbsup2

I have been asked if I was a nurse too. When DS was a preemie in the NICU I knew he was coming home with me, possibly with the machines, so the sooner I figured it all out, the better it would be for him and for me. There is a name the nurses have for moms like us. They call us hospital moms. We know how it all works...where the linens are, where the ice machine is, how to deal with beeping IV pumps, what the numbers on the monitor mean and when to really call the nurses or not, where the best take out is next to the hospital ;) ... I am proud of all of us for taking such good care of our kiddos.

Elisa - I hear ya - I know where all the silence buttons on every machine is and I'm not shy about using them!:lmao:

Hi Everyone!!

I've been reading every day but am crazy at work trying to finish up before our trip.

Which is in 10 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so excited! :banana:

I was going to buy a pair of crocs to take... guess what? I won a pair of very cute SC Gamecock crocs at a live radio show before last weekend's atrocious loss to Vanderbilt. How cool is that?

Holly

Karen

Karen:

Are you staying at GKTW. I scrolled back a couple of pages and saw where you asked some questions about the villas...(the rooms are very close to each other btw and there is a slide show of the villas on the GKTW website). When we were there we met this wonderful retired lady. She sat with us at a meal and chatted away. She told me that she would frequently go with families to Disney because it could be so intimidating for first timers, especially those with children who have special needs. She also said she would hang back and let the family be together, but be there for them for information and extra assistance. If you are staying at GKTW, call them with your nursing problem and ask if there is a volunteer who could accompany you or meet you there. They all have annual passes and they also all know the best places for parades, the best order to do rides in, etc. Your own personal Tour Guide Mike. I know you can do it without help, but I also know that one less thing to worry about would be good.

~Elisa

Hi Everyone!!

I've been reading every day but am crazy at work trying to finish up before our trip.

Which is in 10 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so excited! :banana:

I was going to buy a pair of crocs to take... guess what? I won a pair of very cute SC Gamecock crocs at a live radio show before last weekend's atrocious loss to Vanderbilt. How cool is that?

Holly

Holly, WOW only 10 days to go until your family leaves for Disney how exciting!!! We still have 15 days before we leave and I absolutely can not believe it. I've started to get excited too, but I don't really think it's set in for the rest of the family yet. Maybe once we hit 10 days we will all be bouncing off the walls!!
Glad to hear you won some crocs:goodvibes , My DD told me before the trip that she would not wear any kind of croc looking shoes. Apparently she's just to cool for those hahahaha!!!:rotfl2: But then again crocs are not really for me either so the whole family will just be wearing good old runners for the week.

Have a wonderful trip!!!

Winnielover:

I didn't know you were one of our friends from the north! LOL. That is something that I love about the Dis...we get to know other posters from all over. I am sure you are all getting very excited. We never met our wish granters either. Our wish organization is a division of Children's Hospital here, which is about 2 hours away from our house. My son has a follow up appointment next month, so we are going to swing by and meet our coordinator.

Don't forget to post links to your TR.

~Elisa

Elisa, Yes we are from the good old North. When in the winter time it's minus 30 and where still drinking slurpee's.:rotfl:
We are getting very excited and can't wait to take off. Although I don't think we are even prepared to go yet, because there's always so much going on. BUT, I'm sure we'll be able to pull everything together in the last 15 days! :scared1:

Don't worry Elissa I won't forget to post to TR except I have to figure out how to start a new post or thread or whatever they call it here! So if you or anyone could pleasse help me out on that hopefully my TR can come sooner!

THANKS!!!!:)

Winnielover:

Go to the top of this thread and you will see the following inside a box:

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board

Click on the first part "The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com. You will come to a screen with all the thread categories on it. click on the Disney Trip Reports. The top two stickies give advice on writing TR's. At the bottom of the form is a "start new thread" button....click that and give yourself a title, then you can begin your story. Make sure you let us know in this thread that you have started so we know where to find you.

Slurpees in minus 30...brrrrrrr. I have stood in line for ice cream in the snow and slush, but it was definitely above zero! You must have antifreeze flowing through your veins.

Winnielover:

Go to the top of this thread and you will see the following inside a box:

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board

Click on the first part "The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com. You will come to a screen with all the thread categories on it. click on the Disney Trip Reports. The top two stickies give advice on writing TR's. At the bottom of the form is a "start new thread" button....click that and give yourself a title, then you can begin your story. Make sure you let us know in this thread that you have started so we know where to find you.

Slurpees in minus 30...brrrrrrr. I have stood in line for ice cream in the snow and slush, but it was definitely above zero! You must have antifreeze flowing through your veins.

Thanks so much. I will hop on over and try this our right away. Hopefully I can figure it all out. I'm very computer illirate I sometimes wonder how I even figured out how to search on the internet!!! My DD tells me I know nothing when it comes to computers and she's probably right on that one!!

As for the slurpees in minus 30 I can't stand it anymore but my DD doesn't complain. We're all excited to get away from the cold to bring on the warm weather. When your use to two seasons winter and construction any kind of weather is better. This year hasn't been to bad yet. But I'm hearing we are in for a lot of snow!:eek: :sad2:

Are you asking how to put your link into your signature? There is a tech support area on the boards that can give you detailed instructions. I have to look it up all the time. I believe what you do is type in this:

[thread=xxxxxx] (the x's are your thread number) TITLE [/thread]

I bold, italicize and underline mine as well, to make them stand out a little more than "normal" text.

After spending about 12 hours yesterday sitting in front of my computer, I have officially read everyone's TR and PRE -TR and gotten TONS of information from the board.

Wow...that is a lot of reading...we are a gabby bunch! I am surprised you can still see straight after all that...LOL. You will be surprised how much better prepared you than those around you simply from having done some research on these boards.

I'm back, at least most of me is. Sorry to have been away for so long.

For those of you who are new, I have lots of links in my signature to helpful threads on all sorts of trip and posting related subjects.

I would like to help anyone preparing for a trip, but will only be able to post on weekdays for a while. I appreciate the help I received here and want to pay it back to whoever needs it. I did TONS of research before our trip, and made lots of mistakes on our trip from which you can learn.

Feel free to PM me or post a question here.

:hug: to all.

Bill

p.s. When you return from your trip, be prepared for some post-trips blues, or post-trip emotional adjustments or something. Make sure your family has a good support network for after the trip. I would advise a husband-wife only get away for a night. The amount of emotion and energy expended on the trip (even though mostly good energy) can take its toll on the adults. A lot of couples are not used to spending so much time together, and may need a little space after the trip. Just a friendly tip.:grouphug:

Hey, Bill. Welcome back.:hug: Well guys, today is the day the agency is going to tell my day nurse that she has been removed from our case. I'm terrified that my phone will begin ringing any minute. Better news, the new trachs came today :banana:. Alize did a bit more coughing after we put it in and then settled right down. We have just drastically reduced the odds of it coming out. Still no nurse for the trip. Stay tuned. Karen

Karen - Good news about Alize's trach. Glad that was taken care of before your trip.

Hopefully, your phone won't be ringing. Technically, the agency nurses should not be calling you after being removed, but I know, if you have a long history, they may want an explanation. I have yet to have one nurse call me after getting the boot -- and during Amanda's 13 years, I have let go my share of nurses!

Bill - Glad to see your back. Sent you a pm today; odd though - was told I had the wrong recipient name. I tried again and it seemed to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter