Will flight attendant allow me off the plane first to prevent panic attack?

The one and only time I have ever seen a flight attendant request passengers to allow other passengers off first was when we were coming back from our honeymoon from St. Lucia.

It was on Delta and it was during the furloughs in 2013. It caused the plane from Atlanta to St. Lucia take off late which then caused the flight (that we were going to be on) to take off late that was going from St. Lucia to Atlanta (there was only one flight there and one flight back per day and it didn't happen every day of the week).

It caused all but 2 flights to miss their connections. Ours and another destination were still able to make it if we hustled through customs and across the airport terminals and whatnot.

The FA's requested when we landed that everyone but our connection and another one to please sit tight and let us through. Most complied some didn't. We barely made it..well technically they had closed the jetway door (not the plane door) but reopened it for us and we had been running for our lives through the airport after getting through Customs.

OP I'm sorry about the anxiety but honestly I would just distract myself (like others have mentioned headphones are great) until many passengers have gotten off because it's doubtful you would be able to make such a request to get off early and it be granted.

Xanax is THE reason I can even travel. I was afraid of flying most of my life. I'm aware of the risks of benzos and I'm very careful with them. But it's far better than subjecting my my nervous system to a full blown panic attack (people can die from them). Plus--I get to travel to places I never thought I'd see now.

Have faith in the Xanax IF you're willing to give it a try. I have anxiety disorder and a fear of flying, but I made it to Rome with the help of my meds. Something I never thought i'd be able to do. So many people on here though have given other great options as well. I know these options also work as I have had to take last minute flights when I didn't have my meds (i.e.hurricane about to hit Disney, had to fly instead of train) and deep meditation for the flight made it the most relaxing flight of my life. I send you so many good vibes, sit tight & find your happy place, you got this :thumbsup2 :goodvibes

Last edited:
Pay the $40 fee at the airport and get the A boarding pass so that you are one of the first one's on the plane. Then you can sit close to the front and not have to wait very long to get off.
Its against airline regulations to stand up in the plane until you have arrived at the gate and the turn off the seat belt sign goes out. This goes for flight attendants to. They can not get up either.
You do know there are airlines other than Southwest, right? And people regularly fly those other airlines?

If the OP is flying Southwest, that would be good a good option.

Have faith in the Xanax IF you're willing to give it a try. I have anxiety disorder and a fear of flying, but I made it to Rome with the help of my meds. Something I never thought i'd be able to do. So many people on here though have given other great options as well. I know these options also work as I have had to take last minute flights when I didn't have my meds (i.e.hurricane about to hit Disney, had to fly instead of train) and deep mediation for the flight made it the most relaxing flight of my life. I send you so many good vibes, sit tight & find your happy place, you got this :thumbsup2 :goodvibes
Thank you. About 11 years ago, I had to take a half of a Xanax for an MRI of my brain and it was the only way I could've done it, I actually slept through the scan, but then I was sleepy and drowsy all day afterwards. For me it felt like a tranquilizer - I guess in a way, it is.

My dd has a similar issue and we do what some others have suggested by just waiting. Get some nice noise reducing headphones, choose a window seat and read and relax as much as you can during the flight. Then just stay seated and ignore the madness you won't even see much of it if you choose not to and honestly it isn't that much more of a wait most of the time! When most of the rush has passed you can just exit at your leisure and on the up side if you have checked bags you won't wait as long for them. I do this even when flying alone and avoid the push and shove for the overheads and crush to get out and still often arrive at bag claim before my bag.

well, sit near the front or first class is about your only hope.. if you can get bulk head in first you should be golden..

When I was younger talking about 14/15 I flew to Cayman Islands with my mum. It was a pretty long flight and I used to have very bad travel sickness. So as soon as the lights came on/seatbelt sign off I went to the front and said to the flight attendant I was feeling sick and as soon as the doors opened I was able to leave. I left my mum to get my bag and was able to get fresh air. So you might not be able to officially get it. But if you're quick and leave your bag with someone you're with you can get to the front quickly.

So as soon as the lights came on/seatbelt sign off I went to the front and said to the flight attendant I was feeling sick and as soon as the doors opened I was able to leave.

This is just so difficult to do though. Physically difficult I mean. People stand up and are in your way immediately. And that's exactly what is causing the issues for the op.

This is just so difficult to do though. Physically difficult I mean. People stand up and are in your way immediately. And that's exactly what is causing the issues for the op.
Fair enough. I think I was just a bit of a ninja and was able to get off before people started moving. That's why I suggested not taking her bags and what not.

Yep.

My son and I were flying home because my husband, his dad, had been admitted to the hospital after having a heart attack. He was in CICU. We had a connecting flight that we weren't going to make it.

The flight attendant made an announcement that we needed to make a flight to get to a family member in ICU. Every. Single. Person. between us and the door, got up and wandered around getting their stuff.

My son and I RAN to the next gate, after we finally got off of the plane. The ticket agent was waiting for us. As we ran up, she said, "Mrs Loves Pooh Bear?" I nodded, and she rushed us down the gate to the plane. We were the last to sit down. And we left the gate before we were fully seated. Our checked bags didn't make it.

People will not wait for you. It doesn't matter why you have to get off of the plane.

Yep.

My son and I were flying home because my husband, his dad, had been admitted to the hospital after having a heart attack. He was in CICU. We had a connecting flight that we weren't going to make it.

The flight attendant made an announcement that we needed to make a flight to get to a family member in ICU. Every. Single. Person. between us and the door, got up and wandered around getting their stuff.

My son and I RAN to the next gate, after we finally got off of the plane. The ticket agent was waiting for us. As we ran up, she said, "Mrs Loves Pooh Bear?" I nodded, and she rushed us down the gate to the plane. We were the last to sit down. And we left the gate before we were fully seated. Our checked bags didn't make it.

People will not wait for you. It doesn't matter why you have to get off of the plane.
I would be so irritated with everyone on your flight! This guy on one of my flights thought he might of had a stroke on the flight. The flight attendants told everyone not to get up so they could get someone to look at him once we landed. Everyone stayed in their seat! I was very impressed especially since we were the last flight in before a giant blizzard so everyone just wanted to get home safely!

I would be so irritated with everyone on your flight! This guy on one of my flights thought he might of had a stroke on the flight. The flight attendants told everyone not to get up so they could get someone to look at him once we landed. Everyone stayed in their seat! I was very impressed especially since we were the last flight in before a giant blizzard so everyone just wanted to get home safely!
More than likely people's inner thoughts are different when a person is on their flight with a medical emergency versus a passenger trying to make it to see a person with a medical emergency.

Yes, I was quite upset.

I actually said to someone that asked if they were in my way, That yes, but I was sure that their bag was important. And heck, I just wanted to make it home to see my husband before his surgery, where he might die. But please get your bag.

They were pretty taken aback that I said it to them, but by that point, I really didn't care.

Xanax is THE reason I can even travel. I was afraid of flying most of my life. I'm aware of the risks of benzos and I'm very careful with them. But it's far better than subjecting my my nervous system to a full blown panic attack (people can die from them). Plus--I get to travel to places I never thought I'd see now.
So....tell me more. Will I feel tired, or have slurred speech? Or just "normal" but not anxious. I'm also afraid my doctor will try to get me therapy instead of a one-time prescription! LOL, funny but not really.

My co-worker struggles with this. She pays the "preferred" seat fee to choose a seat in first row or two. It has made all the difference to her ability to fly. She says just being able to see the door and be one of first off has made it bearable.

That is your only hope. Counting on a flight attendant to allow you off first and your fellow passengers to follow along - just not gonna happen. Too many selfish people out there.

So....tell me more. Will I feel tired, or have slurred speech? Or just "normal" but not anxious. I'm also afraid my doctor will try to get me therapy instead of a one-time prescription! LOL, funny but not really.

Yeah, I have a good relationship with my doctor, and she's pretty good about not hassling me for that kind of thing.

Xanax is fast-acting and short-lived, so it doesn't have much of a 'hangover'. In my experience, taking 1/2 a pill (.5mg in my case) when I know I'm going to be anxious, meaning flying, just makes me feel 'normal'. I might be a little sleepier at the very end of the day, but that's about it. I used to have a different type for my anxiety, klonipin--that stuff lasts a long time and gave me a wicked zombie-like hangover (I remember falling face down on the hotel bed and passing out after my first flight as an adult), so my doctor switched me to the shorter stuff.

If I take half a pill anticipating stress and then no stress happens, I'm more likely to end up sleepy or slightly 'buzzed'.

An entire 1mg pill will pretty reliably put me to sleep. They probably make lower doses, but my doctor knows I have real 'hyperventilating, down on the ground, losing sensation in my hands' panic attacks, so I think she gave me strong ones. (Not actually sure what the typical dose is. The ones I have break in half easily though.)

You don't want to combine this with booze. >.> It'll make both much stronger.

I usually take my 1/2 pill when I'm hanging out at the gate 15-20 minutes before boarding. But takeoff, and the flight itself, is what triggers my anxiety. Not sure when you would time it if debarking is the issue. Half hour before landing maybe?

I'm also at the point now where, due to repeated exposure, I don't even need the xanax for all my flights. If I know we're going into crappy weather (turbulence) I'll usually dose up.

For me at least Xanax just makes me not panic. It is like a switch is turned off. I can be standing there ready to melt down, pop a pill, and within a few minutes it is like the panic switch is set to Off. And it does not leave me very tired. That stuff makes all the difference in the world. I can fly and not feel like a total freak.

Exactly. I was going to "like" your post but decided to do this instead, because there's nothing to *like* in your post. I'm sorry no one let you go. I'm glad you made your plane. I hope your husband is OK?

A typical MD isn't going to insist on therapy; that's just not generally their thing.

But you will *have to* try it ahead of time. Every body is different! The friend I mentioned earlier, the one whose husband took responsibility for the family on the flight, has taken Xanax for years, and it knocks her out. Absolutely. It doesn't just make things lighter. She is just that sensitive.

You will have to test drive it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter