Will flight attendant allow me off the plane first to prevent panic attack?

moopdog

Dreaming of Disney....
I got stuck on an elevator last year and didn't realize it affected me until I flew a couple of months later, where I had a near panic attack both while boarding the plane and then again (to an almost paralyzing degree) when we landed and were waiting to get off of the plane. I am now concerned about it happening again, although I'm trying to get over it on own. As of last week, I've been forcing myself to ride our elevator at work and it seems to be working a little bit.

However, I am worried about that panicked feeling I got when the plane landed and everyone stands up and just stands there and I'm stuck behind rows and row of people and the air shuts off and it starts to get warm, and I can't see because I'm so short....getting anxiety thinking about it. I promise I'm not a nutjob!! Some of my friends, say to get a script for Xanax, but I'm not a big one for pills and worry it could make me loopy or drowsy. I think that if I could talk to the flight attendant and ask to be brought up to the front of the plane once we land, I could muscle through it until the doors opened. Is this an appropriate request?? I would leave my kids with my husband, I'm not asking to be first for any other reason than I don't want to accidentally cause a scene. Has anyone dealt with this before? This is all new to me, I used to love to fly :(

everyone stands up and just stands there and I'm stuck behind rows and row of people and the air shuts off and it starts to get warm, and I can't see because I'm so short.

Just stay sitting down. Read a book. Don't partake in the madness. Make sure you have plenty of time and just plan to be last off the plane. There is no need to even look up at all the butts waiting to deplane. And hot air rises so it won't be as warm.

Is this an appropriate request??

Nope. Not going to happen. I've seen FAs asking people to let people off the plane first and it just doesn't happen. And that's even for military members or people with very close flights etc.

When my thyroid is not functioning properly, I get bouts with anxiety attacks, so I know how rough they are. In your shoes I would pay extra for a seat as close to the front of the plane as possible, or go with the xanax. Even if the flight attendant is willing to accommodate you, the chances of getting you to the front of the plane in between the time it's safe to stand, and the time everyone else jumps up, are minimal and you may find yourself in a worse position than just sitting and waiting at your seat.

I agree with the others, sorry, but it's just not going to happen. They wouldn't be able to do it until the seat belt sign goes off and then, everybody else can (and will) stand up too.

I agree with the others that staying in your seat - I'd go with window (so you are protected and it is easier to avoid seeing the people) and, perhaps, toward the back (so fewer people walk passed you).

I understand. I also am prone to claustrophobic panic attacks. I would do as bumbershoot suggests. Just find a way to occupy yourself. Stay well hydrated and eat some peppermints. :goodvibes

Pay the $40 fee at the airport and get the A boarding pass so that you are one of the first one's on the plane. Then you can sit close to the front and not have to wait very long to get off.
Its against airline regulations to stand up in the plane until you have arrived at the gate and the turn off the seat belt sign goes out. This goes for flight attendants to. They can not get up either.

I'd pay for a closer seat to the front or take the pills. There is LOTS of anxiety for a lot of people when it comes to flying. Heck I get anxiety and I don't really get anxiety ever. There's no way they could make accommodations for everyone with these issues. If there's ways YOU can deal with it you should, regardless of feeling otherwise. It's your anxiety. You do what is within your power to combat it. Don't expect them to fix your problem because more than likely they won't.

Getting off last is nice when you have planned for it by the way. I got used to it as a kid on greyhound because my dad was a driver who somehow never got the weekend off when he had us. You just ignore it all. When all is quiet then it's your turn.

Drugs can be needed but it can be difficult. You might be loopy. It means extra communication with family beforehand to make sure they know their responsibilities for the flight if you're out of it. It's not to be taken lightly. My friend with extreme anxiety had to do it when her mom passed suddenly this summer, and it did put the burden of full responsibility of their two kids and her into her husband. He was happy to help of course, but they had to communicate!

And if you're interested, there's something called Rescue Remedy that can be amazing. It's a flower essence in a tincture or pellet and I've used it for years for fears, anxiety, those long days with family when you start bickering, and for general calming down purposes. It's generally in the health food sections of grocery stores.

Question: If you remained seated and closed your eyes for several minutes, then would you feel better?

The Xanax prescription would only be for a half dozen pills or less - half for the outbound trip, half for the return, one at a time.

Alternative if you have time is hypnotism.

The Xanax prescription would only be for a half dozen pills or less - half for the outbound trip, half for the return, one at a time.

Alternative if you have time is hypnotism.

I'd need THAT many?! I was thinking two. One for the flight down, one for coming home. No? Lol

I'd need THAT many?! I was thinking two. One for the flight down, one for coming home. No? Lol
Obviously that would depend on the dose and how effective the medication is for you. I know people who take .25 mg and they're knocked out. Others can take 2 mg and don't feel a thing.

I have bouts of anxiety, mainly while flying and only since I had my children, and I do as bumbershoot suggests and just stay in my seat, put my headphones in with some relaxing music and read my book until the crowd subsides - it rarely lasts more than a few minutes because everyone is rushing to get off asap

Hope you do ok; it's such an awful feeling but try to relax, slow deep breathing and block out all the chaos going on around you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter