What's your take on...

4theloveofdisney

Faith, Hope, Kindness, Patience, Mercy, Love...and
...the new dining surcharge. :scared: Anyone else feel like this is a rip off? I don't mind paying high prices for a hotel that is not up to the 4* quality of other hotels. I don't mind paying high prices for food - after all you are on vacation and that goes with the territory. I bite the bullet and continue to buy tickets each year though the prices keep rising. But this surcharge on top of the higher cost for sit down meals (and for food that is usually only so-so) is just over the top in my book and I'm a little bit ticked off. How does everyone else feel? :confused3

Have heard of no surcharge as of yet, only mandatory tipping. That is fine with me.

Holiday Dining Surcharges that were in effect for the Thanksgiving and Christmas Holiday seasons will also be in effect from March 16-30, 2008. Prices will be higher at the following restaurants: Boma Breakfast and Dinner, Cape May Breakfast and Dinner Buffet, Chef Mickey's Breakfast and Dinner, Trails End Buffet, 1900 Park Fare Breakfast and Dinner, 'Ohana Breakfast and Dinner, Captain's Grille Breakfast Buffet, Tusker House, Garden Grill, Princess Storybook Dining, Crystal Palace, Liberty Tree Tavern Character Dinner, Cinderella's Royal Table, and Play 'n' Dine at Hollywood and Vine.

On another board, a very reliable source also stated that this "peak/holiday/surcharge dining period" will also run from Memorial day to July 5th.

I think it's ridiculous except for maybe on the actual holiday when you have better/nicer food selections.

Just my .02.

I'm reading that people are unaware but when they get their bill they see a $4or $5 surcharge per person.

It's absurd. Meals at Disney are expensive enough as it is. Won't affect me as I don't go during holiday periods, but I think people that do have a right to be upset.

Do they simply raise the prices on the menu items?

Or do they add a separate charge on the check?

Or is this all just a rumor to stir things up?

EDIT:
It is the former.
New Menu PRICE and NOT a separate charge on the check.

As long as I know the cost stated on the menu is correct, I have no problems with it.

So I'm still a little confused......certain restaurants menu prices will stay the same, but during certain time periods there will be an added surcharge!! what for? is there any different service or quantity or selection provided? If the volume of customer increase cause an increase in service staff, you still should have an increase in revenue to cover that expense.
I dont get it:confused3

I understand the surcharges on "holiday" meals (ie Christmas Eve, Christmas), but I do think that the long time period in March might be a little much. On the Holidays, when parks are crowded, employees are being forced to work for max attendance, the surcharge discourages some families from eating out on that particular day, freeing up space at restaurants, etc. I see why this might occur, but a two week period is a little too much. Now you are just taking advantage of an entire vacation period!

For the record I am going Thanksgiving 2008, we decided to skip the parks and restaurants on the Holiday (part for the surcharge, part for the crowds), but if we were charged higher the whole week, I think that is a little much.

I thought they just increased the prices of the buffets during the holidays...I didn't think they had a separate line charge on the bill.

...or is this all just a rumor to stir things up?

:stir:

EDIT:

It is a new Menu PRICE and NOT a separate charge on the check.

Stating that there would be an additional $4-$5 item charged on the ticket is a rumor.

As long as I know the actual cost of an item stated on the menu is correct, I have no problems with it.

When you look at the prices on this website it states the following (I only looked at Chef Mickey's):

Breakfast

Adult (l0+) - $22.99
Child (3-9) - $12.99

Dinner

Adult (l0+) - $29.99
Child (3-9) - $14.99

Holiday Prices for all reservations on the following dates:

November 18, 2007 - November 24, 2007
December 16, 2007 - Janurary 5, 2008

Breakfast/Brunch

Adult (l0+) - $26.99
Child (3-9) - $14.99

Dinner

Adult (l0+) - $33.99
Child (3-9) - $16.99

When you look at the prices on this website it states the following (I only looked at Chef Mickey's):

Breakfast

Adult (l0+) - $22.99
Child (3-9) - $12.99

Dinner

Adult (l0+) - $29.99
Child (3-9) - $14.99

Holiday Prices for all reservations on the following dates:

November 18, 2007 - November 24, 2007
December 16, 2007 - Janurary 5, 2008

Breakfast/Brunch

Adult (l0+) - $26.99
Child (3-9) - $14.99

Dinner

Adult (l0+) - $33.99
Child (3-9) - $16.99

I have no problem changing menu prices for whatever reason.

I can choose an item and know the price.

A "surcharge" is an added expense on the ticket.
That would not be welcome, and I would likely find a way not to be paying it.

Do they simply raise the prices on the menu items?

Or do they add a separate charge on the check?

Or is this all just a rumor to stir things up?

I don't think it's a rumor. I guess we are not allowed to post links anymore but do a search - it's published on a few respected Disney websites. Also, people are reporting seeing it on their bills.

This is not a rumor.. and this was discussed extensively over on the restaurant board..

Personally, I am traveling during one of these 'holiday' periods.. one of which extends (as noted previously) from Memorial day to July 5th. I think that's ridiculous.. but I simply will not eat at those restaurants charging this 'fee' while I'm there in June.

If people pay it -- even grudgingly -- then Disney will just keep doing more of the same.

I can't speak for everyone else.. but I won't elect to pay it... and I'll do that by eating elsewhere.

There is a thread over on the Restaurants board..

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1678239

I don't think it's a rumor. I guess we are not allowed to post links anymore but do a search - it's published on a few respected Disney websites. Also, people are reporting seeing it on their bills.

You can post links.
Just not to certain specific websites.

http://www.allearsnet.com/din/restnews.htm
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Holiday Dining Surcharges that were in effect for the Thanksgiving and Christmas Holiday seasons will also be in effect from March 16-30, 2008.

Prices will be higher at the following restaurants: Boma Breakfast and Dinner, Cape May Breakfast and Dinner Buffet, Chef Mickey's Breakfast and Dinner, Trails End Buffet, 1900 Park Fare Breakfast and Dinner, 'Ohana Breakfast and Dinner, Captain's Grille Breakfast Buffet, Tusker House, Garden Grill, Princess Storybook Dining, Crystal Palace, Liberty Tree Tavern Character Dinner, Cinderella's Royal Table, and Play 'n' Dine at Hollywood and Vine.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, that's not an extra SURCHARGE ITEM placed on a check.

If they want to raise menu prices, its fine with me.
I can choose a menu item I want, and know the price up-front.

That's cool.

...or is this all just a rumor to stir things up?

:stir:

For your information, I am not trying to stir up anything. This is published information and if would take the time to research it you would see what I am talking about. ;)

Thanks! :goodvibes

I have no problem changing menu prices for whatever reason.

I can choose an item and know the price.

A "surcharge" is an added expense on the ticket.
That would not be welcome, and I would likely find a way not to be paying it.

I guess in the scheme of things, I'm not seeing a difference. In one case they've added a $4/adult surcharge to the menu price. While the other case would be to keep the menu price the same, and have a separate line-item for the $4/adult surcharge. If they keep the same menu price and don't tell you or list the additional $4 charge, then in that case, I completely agree with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!